daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:52 AM   #21
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

YPAL to hold forum on future of downtown
The Young Professionals Association of Louisville will hold the second forum in its CityTalk Series, "What Does the Future Hold for Downtown Louisville?" on Tuesday, Nov. 15, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Kentucky International Convention Center.

Wish I were able to go. I dunno that they would let a 16 year old in. haha
I'll just watch for it to air on metro TV. I have seen the first one several times, its really a great way to study up on what's going on, but is becoming a tad out of date. Can't wait to see how it goes and if its as informative as the last.

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:52 AM   #22
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Likes (Received): 21

I support an arena in Louisville. But, I hate how the governor says it will benefit the entire state. That is just not true. It is a Louisville thing and that is about it. My family in little ol' Central City, Ky (western ky) could care less. They will never see the benefits of an NBA team there or a Aerosmith concert. You see what I am saying? Sure, the tax money is great. But do you honestly think anyone from Knoxville would say they benefit from the Gaylord Entertainment Center here in Nashville?? I seriously doubt it. He really needs to word that better when pitching it to the public. Because the only REAL public that benefits is the people that reside in the Louisville area.

Like I said in the first sentence. I DO support the arena, but I think the Governor really needs to stop with this "Paul Patton" type approach.

Nashville, the next great southern city.
Nashville @ PBase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/perspectivephotography
Lexy no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:56 AM   #23
eweezerinc
President of Catan

The whole state would def benefit with a better rep as having at least one Major league team. But the taxes wouldn't be so awesomely immediate as anywhere but Louisville. It wouldn't be anything noticeable anywhere else.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 04:59 AM   #24
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweezerinc

The whole state would def benefit with a better rep as having at least one Major league team. But the taxes wouldn't be so awesomely immediate as anywhere but Louisville. It wouldn't be anything noticeable anywhere else.

That "rep" as you say it would not help the 8% unemployment rate in my county (Muhlenberg) back home though. See what I am saying? Couldn't the Governor be focused on getting people to work and increasing the states way of life? Which would be better both locally and nationally in the long run??? I just don't seee the need in him touting this arena though. It is the city and people (Pitino) of Louisville that want it. I just think there is better things he could be doing at the moment.

Lexy no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:07 AM   #25
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy
That "rep" as you say it would not help the 8% unemployment rate in my county (Muhlenberg) back home though. See what I am saying? Couldn't the Governor be focused on getting people to work and increasing the states way of life? Which would be better both locally and nationally in the long run??? I just don't seee the need in him touting this arena though. It is the city and people (Pitino) of Louisville that want it. I just think there is better things he could be doing at the moment.
No no, I certainly understand your complaint.
Didn't say a rep was going to fix unemployment, merely that it would start to get people thinking about Kentucky on a national level, which never hurts anything.
But the Govenor at least is backing it which is good, just going about pitching it badly.
Personally, I hope this arena falls through and we start back up with an arena worth building, and NOT for a college.
Just because UofL had one good season, everyone thinks we need a brand new facility. >.>
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:10 AM   #26
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

HAHA I know the feeling. Back before Rupp was renovated, last year and the year before, UK told Lexington either "fix it, or we''ll build our own". Trust me, I know how that is. You see what happened over there too. Rupp got a face lift. Which it needed terribly in my opinion. LOL!!!

Lexy no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:06 AM   #27
Cardpooch

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I support an arena in Louisville. But, I hate how the governor says it will benefit the entire state. That is just not true. It is a Louisville thing and that is about it. My family in little ol' Central City, Ky (western ky) could care less. They will never see the benefits of an NBA team there or a Aerosmith concert. You see what I am saying? Sure, the tax money is great. But do you honestly think anyone from Knoxville would say they benefit from the Gaylord Entertainment Center here in Nashville?? I seriously doubt it.
Yes, but the big difference is that most people in the Knoxville area still look up to Nashville as a city that proudly represents their state on a national and even international level. Most people in Kentucky's rural counties fail to view Louisville in the same light. In fact, most people even fail to acknowledge its existence.

Case in point:

There are Titans football fans in far flung Bristol, Tennessee. Even with mighty UT nearby. If Louisville had a pro sports team, there would probably be less of a following in Central City despite the fact that the community is much closer. We all know there can only be one team in Kentucky and they don't wear red.

When I lived in Owensboro, I was amazed at the number of people that had never even been to Louisville. Of course, almost everyone had been to Nashville on multiple occasions. This despite the fact that the two cities are basically the same distance from Owensboro.

I think my personal favorite was a girl that said, 'Yeah, I think I went through there once on our way to Kings Island. Or was that St. Louis? Oh, I don't remember.'

The point is that Louisville rates so low to the importance of most Kentuckians that the governor MUST tout any project in the city as one that will benefit everyone in the state. Otherwise, it has no chance of getting the approval it needs. Afterall, unemployment rates are high, schools are bad, roads are falling apart, grandma is getting thrown out of the nursing home ect. Obviously, there are too many important issues to deal with rather than a frivolous arena project in St. Louis.
Cardpooch no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:05 AM   #28
lou-villian

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardpooch
Yes, but the big difference is that most people in the Knoxville area still look up to Nashville as a city that proudly represents their state on a national and even international level. Most people in Kentucky's rural counties fail to view Louisville in the same light. In fact, most people even fail to acknowledge its existence.

Case in point:

There are Titans football fans in far flung Bristol, Tennessee. Even with mighty UT nearby. If Louisville had a pro sports team, there would probably be less of a following in Central City despite the fact that the community is much closer. We all know there can only be one team in Kentucky and they don't wear red.

When I lived in Owensboro, I was amazed at the number of people that had never even been to Louisville. Of course, almost everyone had been to Nashville on multiple occasions. This despite the fact that the two cities are basically the same distance from Owensboro.

I think my personal favorite was a girl that said, 'Yeah, I think I went through there once on our way to Kings Island. Or was that St. Louis? Oh, I don't remember.'

The point is that Louisville rates so low to the importance of most Kentuckians that the governor MUST tout any project in the city as one that will benefit everyone in the state. Otherwise, it has no chance of getting the approval it needs. Afterall, unemployment rates are high, schools are bad, roads are falling apart, grandma is getting thrown out of the nursing home ect. Obviously, there are too many important issues to deal with rather than a frivolous arena project in St. Louis.
Cardpooch you stole the words right out of my mouth. I will never understand the bitterness towards anything "louisville" in the state of Kentucky. I have my theories and assumptions on why there is so much disdain but I will never understand the mentality that drives that passionate hate. Its like some people out in the state still live in that 1800's pre-civil war mindset. I'm not trying to generalize all of eastern kentucky because some of my friends from grad school at UK are from some towns in those areas but they certainly understand how I feel about it. Alot of it in my opinion comes from the lack of education in those areas and the lack of understanding how much Louisville actually means to the state Economically. For them its about basketball, like Rick Pitino said alot of those folks live there lives around Kentucky basketball because thats something they take pride in. They take more pride in that than they do there own lives sometimes. The difference is I've traveled to many of those economically depressed towns and counties(Owsley and McCreary). Two of the poorest counties in the country. I have so many stories of how I was treated in those areas just because I was from "louisville". People in some of those areas truly have passionate "hate", I've never seen anything like it. Not everyone has hate for Louisville but I would say its more people who have hate for louisville than actually consider us a part of the state. Louisville means more to this state than alot of people outside of jefferson county tend to realize. I understand why they don't because either they feel its not relevant to know or they are just not educated on the economic value that the city has. Its a case of not "thinking" outside the box in this state and in the state government. Kentucky will never change folks unless the state is educated to the point were we can actually be on the same playing field mentally with other states. We lag so far behind in education its ridiculous, and that is the main thing that is consistently hold us back. Alot of the venom spewed at Louisville comes from the classic urban vs rural mindset. People are scared of Louisville because they feel its crime ridden and dirty, from what folks from out in the state have told me. This comes from people who has never stepped foot inside of jefferson county. I'm like how in the hell can you say that when you've never been. Most folks out in the state feel the same way about all large urban areas, Louisville just happens to be inside the states borders, but It is what it is. To me at this point the arena is a longshot because people out in the state just don't view the city as being relevant to the economic structure of the state. Nor do they view us a being relevant because we represent urban america. When this state is like 85% rural.
lou-villian no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:21 AM   #29
lou-villian

Quote:
I understand your point Lexy and your point is very valid. My main this is Kentucky has not looked out for Louisville at all. Kentucky has kept us from competing with our regional cities such as, Indy, St.Louis, Cincy, Nashville, Richmond, Charlotte, ect. The people in Louisville are just tired of giving and giving and giving and receiving little to nothing in return. I feel that the State atleast owes the city a little of what we have giving to the state which is tax revenue. Alot of the local leaders in louisville are just fed up with jefferson county being the loser every year when it comes to taxes. A arena may sound selfish to folks in other areas of the state but this is something that Louisville desperately needs not only for entertainment but for attracting conventions. We lost two major conventions one being the FFA which is moving to indianapolis because they have a more modern arena and more convention space. The Bluegrass music awards and hall of fame to Nashville because of the same thing. Louisville just doesn't lose on huge conventions like that skipping town the whole state loses. That state picks up a large amount of money from those conventions and the city certainly loses to. Its more than just a Louisville thing, yes its a Louisville venue but the state wins from this when conventions use the facility. Its hard for me personally to grasp why the state treats us like second class citizens, especially when I'm coming out of the pocket more than some one from say pikeville. LIke I said people are just getting tired of that same frankfort routine and we are tired of giving and giving. We can't even get a bridge painted let alone get one built. Its awful funny how people charish Nashville, Charlotte, INdy, cities that are pretty much the premier cities in the state. Louisville continues to get that second class citizen treatment.
lou-villian no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:45 PM   #30
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

I see all of your points and they are well taken. But the state consistenly lags behind the nation in education, jobs, and quality of life (healthcare). These are far more important needs at the moment. The arena can always get built, but the immediate needs of unemployment and low education seem to me a bit more important. That stuff is THE future of the state of Kentucky. There are almost 3,000,000 people that live in Kentucky outside of Louisville. That is what companies will see. That is what they will hire. LOL!! I love my biggest homestate city. Maybe I am just nitpicking.

Lexy no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:59 PM   #31
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

One thing that I forgot to mention is that the sphere of influence for Nashville in Western Kentucky is very large by all standards. Just like Cardpooch said, Owensboro residents have been here multiple times, while never even thinking of going to Louisville. Odd to me, but not surprising. Nashville has marketed itself better in WKY and it really tries to feed off the fact that its television stations are carried on 90% (give or take) of the cable tv providers in the WKY area. That is a big deal. Considering that the Louisville stations are carried as far west as Leitchfield I believe. I have no problem with going to Louisville, heck I need to make another trip up there soon. But Central City residents go to Nashville to do their Christmas shopping just like Bowling Green does. And you would be surprised at how many Titan fans reside in Muhlenberg County. Which is a basketball mecca in anyones eyes. Even the Predators (NHL) have got season ticket holders in Madisonville. I can see the influence a bit better now that some things are in perspective, but just really have a hard time with the way the Governor is touting the project. That is all though. Other than that, build the damn thing already!! LOL!!!!

Lexy no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:01 PM   #32
gych
BANNED

Lexy, I disagree. Louisville has strong influence over its region: people come here from all over North central KY and South central Indiana. Nashville's pull starts to fade after Bowling Green. The difference is Nashville is the capitol, and controls spending so keeps a lot of dollars for itself.

Louisville is deprived of hundreds of millions of dollars to help areas like Muhlenberg county, which no offense, will NEVER draw good jobs or economic success. Louisville must get bigger and increase its tax base so it CAN help the rest of KY. But it is not at the point yet where it can help KY, bc KY wont help Louisville. It is the chicken before the egg question. And it is my utmost belief that Louisville is the egg, and it cant grow the state into a chicken until the state helps Louisville. Until then, the state will keep feeding hundreds of millions into superhighways in the mountains into nowhere, to luring low skilled manufacturing jobs which will leave for Mexico in three years, and spending tons on some of these poor towns with absolutely no return on the money.

I am not saying smaller and rural KY areas have no hope--but I really believe that without the economic engine that is Louisville, and for that matter, Lexington and N KY, they have no hope. If we can get the whole country to see that KY is a great place, ppl will come here like they move to TN and NC! The south is booming; KY is not. Have you ever thought about why that is? Well, it is bc the state's biggest city is not attracting the jobs and amenities needed to bring high skilled workers to our state who will, in turn, create jobs for poor areas of the state. I don't get why people in other parts of the KY can't "think outside the box" and see this?
gych no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:48 PM   #33
louisville playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gych
Lexy, I disagree. Louisville has strong influence over its region: people come here from all over North central KY and South central Indiana. Nashville's pull starts to fade after Bowling Green. The difference is Nashville is the capitol, and controls spending so keeps a lot of dollars for itself.

Louisville is deprived of hundreds of millions of dollars to help areas like Muhlenberg county, which no offense, will NEVER draw good jobs or economic success. Louisville must get bigger and increase its tax base so it CAN help the rest of KY. But it is not at the point yet where it can help KY, bc KY wont help Louisville. It is the chicken before the egg question. And it is my utmost belief that Louisville is the egg, and it cant grow the state into a chicken until the state helps Louisville. Until then, the state will keep feeding hundreds of millions into superhighways in the mountains into nowhere, to luring low skilled manufacturing jobs which will leave for Mexico in three years, and spending tons on some of these poor towns with absolutely no return on the money.

I am not saying smaller and rural KY areas have no hope--but I really believe that without the economic engine that is Louisville, and for that matter, Lexington and N KY, they have no hope. If we can get the whole country to see that KY is a great place, ppl will come here like they move to TN and NC! The south is booming; KY is not. Have you ever thought about why that is? Well, it is bc the state's biggest city is not attracting the jobs and amenities needed to bring high skilled workers to our state who will, in turn, create jobs for poor areas of the state. I don't get why people in other parts of the KY can't "think outside the box" and see this?
That's Kentucky for you.
But I know people in rural Kentucky are scared of the big city (Louisville), but I think a huge portion of them (espeacially Western and Central Kentucky) have been here.
Now on the whole Arena in Indiana thing yeah that would be good for growth around Southern Indiana and Louisville (to some extent), But I think that downtown Louisville could do a hell of alot more with that arena.
Then think about what Louisville citizens would think abou their city, Not very much.
From what I heard from family in Alabama Louisville has a similar situation with Kentucky as Birmingham has with Alabama both are severly neglected cities, no one in the rest of the state cares about them.
louisville playa no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #34
Lexy
Fly Nashville!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gych

With all due respect, but I doubt you have any proof of that money being deprived. That is a sad sob story to me. Remember, you are telling this to someone who spent over 23 years in Kentucky and over 20 of them in small, rural town KY. I know how law makers fight for money down there when it ends up going to the "Triangle". If you don't believe me, take a drive down there and just see how pitiful the condition of the roads are. It's a far cry from those that are "lined with gold" in the northern part of the state.

So in other words, **** the other two thirds of the state and focus on Louisville?? That is screwed logic my friend.

Try having this conversation with a father of three trying to pay bills on a 8$/hr. assembly line job at Perdue Chicken factory in Ohio County. You would probably get spit on for even saying half of that. These people are going to be jsut as productive and just as smart as those living in metro Louisville if given the chance. To set there and say that about people I know and family is offensive to the least. I know of a few stupid people in my life, but none reside in Muhlenberg County.

And as far as the statement about good jobs there, look at Owensboro for example. Industry that is at least 45 minutes away of major influence to the region of Western Kentucky where Owensboro sits.

Alcan Aluminum (KY)
AK Steel mill (IN)
Dana Corp. (KY)
Toyota Motor Manufacturing (IN)
Large Scale Biology (KY) - actual Bio-Technology for those people!!! WOW!!!
LG&E (KU)- (KY and even Muhlenberg County)
Alcoa Aluminim (IN)
Tyson (KY)
Perdue (KY)
Unifirst (KY)
TVA (KY)
Peabody Coal (KY)
Lear Corp (KY)
Takata (KY)
GE (KY)

I really could go on and on if you would like.

All of these employ people from the Pennyroyal Region and the Audobon Region of Kentucky.

I really think your logic is screwed, but that is okay. At one point you will have to go to West Kentucky and you will see for yourself the LACK of state money at work for those taxpayers.

Lexy no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:12 AM   #35
Mister Obvious

Quote:
With all due respect, but I doubt you have any proof of that money being deprived. That is a sad sob story to me. Remember, you are telling this to someone who spent over 23 years in Kentucky and over 20 of them in small, rural town KY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincypost
The most explosive part of the Coomes report was its conclusion that urban areas are being tapped way to hard to pay for schools, roads and other non-entitlement state services in the rural parts of the state. He found, for example, that Northern Kentucky is getting back just 64 cents for every dollar it sends to Frankfort, Lexington 82 cents and Louisville a mere 59 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizjournal
The disparity is even greater when it comes to transportation funds: Louisville gets only 45 cents back from every license plate fee and gas tax dollar sent to Frankfort.

If only getting back 59% of the taxes we pay isn't being deprived, I don't know what is.

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/11/20/edita112004.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...ditorial1.html

EDIT: By the way Central City gets back $1.69 for every state tax dollar and $1.20 for every federal tax dollar it pays.
See page 29 of this PDF.

Last edited by Mister Obvious; November 4th, 2005 at 05:07 AM.
Mister Obvious no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #36
LouisvilleJake
BOILERMAKER

My question Lexy is what the hell more do you want Louisville and Louisvillians to do for you?

We already bleed 41 cents of every dollars in taxes to Kentucky, Lexington bleeds something around 20 cents from every dollar, and NKY bleeds nearly 35 cents from every dollar to the other regions of Kentucky...HELL, even the urban center of Owensboro does not get all of it's tax money back.

You claim anecdotal evidence that the rest of Kentucky lacks money...and that it is all spent on the "Golden Triangle"...could it POSSIBLY be that 1 in 2 Kentuckians live in either Louisville, Lexington, or NKY, so our area really actually DESERVES the most attention? I mean, shouldn't you invest in where that investment makes the biggest impact?

After decades of robbing the urban centers of Kentucky, and spending it in the rural sections, what does the state have to show? Nothing, but large urban areas that are in dire needs of ammenities to compete with their neighbors and a rural populace that believes nonsense about Louisville/Lexington/NKY...plus a parkway system that leads to the hills of nothingness.

On one hand I really feel for the people trapped in the poverty cycle and feel as if they cannot get out, but on the other, Louisville has thrown all the money it can at these people and all we get is scorn and no results. If we want to lift these people out of poverty, we need investment...and not just government investment, and Kentucky is not getting that...and why is that? Becasue we do not even have a large urban center that is seen as a viable and competitive marketplace. Louisville NEEDS an arena to stay competitive. So much growth in Nashville is based on perception that Nashville is vibrant, growing, and progressive...and HOW did they get that way? By spending the needed millions, even billions of dollars on amenities for the city...and you know what has happened? Rural Tennessee has been seeing an upswing.

Kentucky NEEDS healthy urban centers before it can go and tackle the rural poverty...we've witnessed this for half a century now, when are we going to change our gears and try a new strategy?

Last edited by LouisvilleJake; November 4th, 2005 at 05:10 AM.
LouisvilleJake no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #37
Cardpooch

Lexy, I agree with everything LouisvilleJake just said and I'm living in Russellville right now (my hometown).

I don't know if you were aware but there is a representative Yonts from Muhlenburgh County that has given his opinion on Louisville's arena debate. It's the the typical 'oh it would be nice, but we have more important concerns facing our state' response that one would expect.

He goes on to express the 'need' for a new four lane road from Owensboro to Central City. Eventually continuing on to the Tennessee state line.

You have got to be kidding me...

Western Kentucky is already criss crossed by a series of parkways that have done very little to enhance the economic development of the region. Could you please repeat the unemployment rate in Muhlenburgh County again? Ohio County has TWO parkways and as you pointed out offers its residents jobs at a chicken processing plant.

No wonder the roads are so bad. How on Earth can the state afford to maintain so many roads in such a sparsley populated portion of the state?

Given these facts, I am tempted to write Mr. Yonts a letter asking him to provide solid PROOF that this road project will be a productive use of my tax dollars. If the past is any indication, I'm sure it sure won't be.

Sometimes the truth hurts...

You could build all the roads you want and places like Franklin, Ky and Smyrna, Tn will still land the premiere jobs.

You can build all the technical schools you want to educate your workforce and guess what? Franklin and Smyrna will still beat you.

I know this from experience. Russellville finally got a four lane road to Bowling Green in order to make the area competitive with industrial development. Nothing has happened.

The city and county invested heavily in their technical programs and still no new businesses have come because of it. Some people just moved to Bowling Green where they could get better jobs.

Meanwhile, nearby communities such as Franklin and Springfield, Tn. have seen a surge in new industrial development all because of their locations in high growth corridors.

There are times when the phrase 'build it and they will come' has meaning. In the case of Mr. Yonts' proposal, it has no merit. And quite frankly, it is absurb to even consider such a project. However, pitch it out to residents in Western Kentucky and they'll support it and relish the fact that they got something those 'city slicker's' upstate didn't get.

That is honestly the way politics works in this state.

Which brings up the whole arena isssue yet again (that is the point of this thread isn't it?)

After years and years and years and even more years of research, studies, and debates most people agree that an arena would be a solid use of investment and provide a substantial economic turnaround. It has been PROVEN that compared to most other projects the risks are very small and the impact on the city and state can have a far reaching impact.

Therefore as a resident of Russellville (not Louisville), I support the arena issue over the vast majority of these wasteful projects that have burdened our state for so long. Of course, around here I know I'm in the minority on this subject. That's fine, I'll just torture people during basketball season by wearing my U of L shirt.

Last edited by Cardpooch; November 4th, 2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #38
Cardpooch

BTW, I think Lexy needs a hug from all of us right now. He probably feels like his own family has turned on him.

poor thing..

Old November 4th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #39
gych
BANNED

Quote:
With all due respect, but I doubt you have any proof of that money being deprived. That is a sad sob story to me. Remember, you are telling this to someone who spent over 23 years in Kentucky and over 20 of them in small, rural town KY. I know how law makers fight for money down there when it ends up going to the "Triangle". If you don't believe me, take a drive down there and just see how pitiful the condition of the roads are. It's a far cry from those that are "lined with gold" in the northern part of the state.

So in other words, **** the other two thirds of the state and focus on Louisville?? That is screwed logic my friend.

Try having this conversation with a father of three trying to pay bills on a 8$/hr. assembly line job at Perdue Chicken factory in Ohio County. You would probably get spit on for even saying half of that. These people are going to be jsut as productive and just as smart as those living in metro Louisville if given the chance. To set there and say that about people I know and family is offensive to the least. I know of a few stupid people in my life, but none reside in Muhlenberg County.

And as far as the statement about good jobs there, look at Owensboro for example. Industry that is at least 45 minutes away of major influence to the region of Western Kentucky where Owensboro sits.

Alcan Aluminum (KY)
AK Steel mill (IN)
Dana Corp. (KY)
Toyota Motor Manufacturing (IN)
Large Scale Biology (KY) - actual Bio-Technology for those people!!! WOW!!!
LG&E (KU)- (KY and even Muhlenberg County)
Alcoa Aluminim (IN)
Tyson (KY)
Perdue (KY)
Unifirst (KY)
TVA (KY)
Peabody Coal (KY)
Lear Corp (KY)
Takata (KY)
GE (KY)

I really could go on and on if you would like.

All of these employ people from the Pennyroyal Region and the Audobon Region of Kentucky.

I really think your logic is screwed, but that is okay. At one point you will have to go to West Kentucky and you will see for yourself the LACK of state money at work for those taxpayers.

Ignorance is bliss huh, Lexy? I am not buying your sob story. There is more inner city poverty in Louisville than in the ENTIRE state of KY (its that much freaking bigger!), and no one in Frankfort cares. Furthermore, you clearly have no idea about state expenditures. If you are from KY, why do you live in Nashville? Could it be you perceived it to have more opportunity? Why do you think that is? Heres why:

http://monitor.cbpa.louisville.edu/kentucky/NKY.pdf

Read the facts, then get back to me.
gych no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #40
gych
BANNED

This article from 1996 Business First says it better (and nicer) than I can. The state of KY drains Louisville to the point that its like someone drawing blood from a person trying to run. How in the hell can you run if you have someone sticking you with a huge needle, draining ALL your blood. Louisville's lack of strong growth is due very much to KY sucking its blood out.

Tax drain discussion shouldn't be silenced
Courier-Journal Editor David Hawpe does a great disservice to this community and to the state when he suggests that local business and political leaders should stop talking about the huge disparity between what Jefferson County taxpayers send to Frankfort and what they receive in return services.

Research by University of Louisville economist Paul Coomes shows that of the $1.4 billion Jefferson County residents pay in annual state taxes, only about $700 million ends up back in the county.

In a June 16 column, Hawpe attempted to cut off all discussion of the issue by trying to turn it into an all-or-nothing debate. He took cheap shots at Coomes and the Chamber of Commerce, suggesting they have no regard for the rest of the state.

"Rich counties help poor counties," Hawpe argued.

No one is denying that as an affluent county, Jefferson has an obligation to help subsidize the rest of the state. The question is not whether Jefferson County should send more to Frankfort than it gets in return, but rather, "How much more?"

In an insightful response to Hawpe's column, A. Wallace Grafton Jr. posed the right question: "How much does the goose need to be fed to keep it laying the golden egg?"

Grafton, Coomes and others have noted that the Jefferson County "goose" is not in the best of shape. A recent survey comparing Louisville with 18 of its economic competitors offers a bleak picture.

Louisville ranked 17th in population growth, 18th in the percentage of residents aged 25-34 with college degrees, 16th in average annual earnings and last in the percentage of households with incomes over $50,000. Add to that the fact that Jefferson County's tax burden is higher than all of our major economic competitors, and you can see why it's important for the entire state to address the "leakage" issue.

Jefferson County cannot grow if it cannot compete. It's difficult to win when your competitors already have a head start and when they pay a lower subsidy to their respective states.

What about the poor people living in Eastern Kentucky? Hawpe asks. As Kentuckians, we must wage a war on the poverty that always has afflicted that part of the state. But we also have to remember that more people live beneath the poverty level in Jefferson County than in all 12 counties of Eastern Kentucky.

Imagine what could be done to return Louisville's inner-city "brownfields" to productive use if the county could retain even a small portion of the excess tax money going to Frankfort.

It does no good to sit around complaining. But at the same time the issue shouldn't be swept under the rug, as Hawpe would have it.

The tax flow issue cannot be seriously addressed in the current suspicious atmosphere that exists between Louisville and other areas of the state. Until a relationship based on trust and understanding is developed between the state and its largest metro area, we are doomed to live with the negative "us vs. them" mentality that holds us all back.

Everyone in the state needs to understand that a growing, thriving Jefferson County benefits all Kentuckians. After all, a healthy goose is going to lay a lot more golden eggs than a sick one.
gych no está en línea