daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #61
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

wow...thats substantial. Theyd have to put the stands for the san jose grand prix somewhere else, though
it looks like what weve been calling the heritage is now official 360 residences
360residences.com

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #62
Silicon Francisco
Bay Area purchased.

Likes (Received): 0

Wouldn't that be interesting if they put the seats on the tops of the buildings, I mean they are all the same (short) height. What if they built a whole new city on the rooftops, connected by bridges and containing little shops and restaurants on the roofs.
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #63
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Likes (Received): 86

Wow, the 360 Residences website is soooo pretentious. I love it! I hope they sell...
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #64
metropolismayor

Anyone heard anymore about this?

When I first read this, I thought "Wow, leaders in San Jose with actual vision!" But I haven't heard anything else about it. Anyone got any news?

Posted on Sun, Feb. 26, 2006

NEW VISION FOR DOWNTOWN S.J.
PRO SPORTS PLAY BIG ROLE IN TRANSFORMATION

By Deborah Lohse
Mercury News

A group of San Jose arts leaders is creating its own masterpiece this summer: an ambitious visual rendering of what downtown San Jose would look like if a combination of arts, culture, sports and entertainment projects were brought to life.

The 2-year-old group, 1stACT Silicon Valley, hopes to spark San Jose's civic leaders into action by portraying the vision of a bustling downtown, not only with a revamped Museum of Art and an expanded Tech Museum, but a new baseball stadium and soccer arena.

``If you look at cities that have made huge transformations, it started with conversations like this one,'' said Connie Martinez, executive director of the Children's Discovery Museum.

High-profile groups including the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and David and Lucile Packard Foundation are throwing their weight behind 1stACT's multi-pronged mission. Besides the visual rendering, the mission includes recruiting more CEOs to support the arts and involving San Jose State University in more of the city's arts and culture.

Martinez is a leader of a nine-member 1stACT subcommittee that's formulating what it sees as an arts- and entertainment-centric vision for downtown. The members have dubbed their vision the Creative Urban Center.

The subcommittee's members, including representatives from the Tech Museum of Innovation, the Downtown Association and the San Jose Convention & Visitors Bureau, have been gathering artists' renderings and updates on city or private downtown projects that are in the works or under discussion. They will meet in April to select which projects should be included in their master plan, which they hope to unveil in June.

``We're in the visioning stage,'' said Daniel Keegan, executive director of the San Jose Museum of Art and member of the 1stACT subcommittee.

Vision comes first

For now, the subcommittee isn't planning to tackle the pivotal issue of how to pay for these projects -- which could run many hundreds of millions of dollars, based on past projections -- or how to get them passed by voters, the city council or other city agencies.

``We're unencumbered'' by such considerations, Martinez said. ``You can't sell a vision until you've got it.''

The group also intends to depict numerous planned downtown high-rise residential projects, as well as BART stations in downtown and at the Diridon Caltrain station. Among the proposed high-rise projects they will probably feature are the 22-story Almaden Tower behind the Hotel De Anza; the 401-residence, mixed-use tower at Third and San Fernando streets; and the Park View Towers at St. James between First and Second streets.

``We're building on all the great things the city has in motion,'' Martinez said.

Kim Walesh, assistant director of San Jose's office of economic development, has been working with the group, keeping it apprised of the status of city-overseen projects likely to be in the rendering. Walesh said the city welcomes the efforts of 1stACT to harness the collective power of most of San Jose's arts and cultural groups.

``To go to the next stage, what really great cities do is they bring private dollars and philanthropic dollars in, in a big way,'' Walesh said. ``That's what we haven't done.''

Funding issues

Since the burst of the dot-com bubble, many San Jose arts groups and organizations have struggled to find sustained funding from both the public and private sectors.

So far, the group expects the following projects to be featured in its imagined cityscape:

• An 18-story condominium tower and nearby six-story condo building at South First Street. The tower would house the San Jose Stage Company as well as luxury lofts. The smaller building will eventually be home to a new arts center and gallery for MACLA, a Latino arts and cultural group.

• An enhanced Tech Museum of Innovation, which its executives hope someday to expand onto the current site of Parkside Hall, adding more multi-use areas and room for interactive high-tech exhibits.

• An expanded San Jose McEnery Convention center, with the current 80,000-square-foot temporary tent-like structure replaced with a permanent addition.

• An expanded or relocated Museum of Art at the site of the former Martin Luther King Jr. Library.

• A major league soccer stadium downtown. The 1stACT subcommittee hasn't figured out the exact location, but said its research suggests that sports stadiums need to be part of any vibrant downtown.

• A major league baseball stadium -- long coveted by Mayor Ron Gonzales -- south of the Diridon Caltrain station near HP Pavilion.

• Renovations to several downtown theaters and arts facilities.

Strength in numbers

Martinez said she is compiling a list of potential artists, architects and urban designers who could set this grand vision to paper. Once complete, it will be presented to numerous San Jose and area business, arts, entertainment and civic groups.

Other arts leaders commended the effort by 1stACT to build strength in numbers.

``I've never seen anything that links all of this together and is sort of a coherent plan,'' said Stephen McCray, chairman of San Jose's arts commission.

While he applauds 1stACT's mission, McCray acknowledges that proponents of these projects will face a tough battle for funds in a time of dwindling budgets and declining charitable contributions of all kinds.

``There's no question that that is the key,'' he said. ``The vision is going to have to be really attractive to get people to endorse funding mechanisms to pay for it.''

Once there's a vision to rally around, said Martinez, then the hard-core discussions about how and when the various projects can be accomplished can take place. The group has brainstormed separately about ways -- including workplace giving, tax and bond measures and philanthropic bequests -- to get more serious about raising permanent funding for San Jose's artistic and cultural aspirations.

``These are chess moves,'' Martinez said, ``in a giant chess game.''

Contact Deborah Lohse at [email protected] or (408) 275-0140.

© 2006 MercuryNews.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.mercurynews.com
metropolismayor no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2006, 03:19 AM   #65
mr_storms

looks good. Was anyone else at the race today? good fun. Now they just need to change the course so they go down Santa Clara or First...im doing a summer internship on the 8th floor of BoA, and id actually get a good view
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM   #66
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Give 'em your two cents in the Comments section!!

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15170233.htm
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:16 AM   #67
mr_storms

heh, I was jsut about to post that article. A bit slow, I must admit
Old August 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #68
metropolismayor

Finally, The Return of 1stACT

Posted on Thu, Aug. 03, 2006

Group unveils vision of downtown San Jose

By Phil Yost
Mercury News

They're dreaming of new museums, a stadium, condo towers and corporate headquarters. They're dreaming of sidewalks crowded with vendors and entertainers, in front of art galleries and boutiques.

And this week, 1stACT Silicon Valley, a coalition of South Bay cultural, entertainment and business leaders began selling the dream with a round of 50 presentations on what downtown San Jose could be.

``San Jose's urban center has not caught up to its true size in relation to other cities,'' said Dan Keegan, executive director of the San Jose Museum of Art and a co-chair of 1stACT's Creative Urban Center Committee. ``It's not complete in terms of a community in which we want to live.''

In San Jose, 1stACT -- ACT stands for Arts, Creativity, Technology -- is largely preaching to the choir. Over the past two decades, San Jose has proved its commitment to revitalizing downtown with more than $2 billion in public investment. The group is unlikely to find resistance until it gets to the vexing question of who -- the public, benefactors, corporations -- will write the checks to continue the revival.

1stACT's pitch is designed not only to ramp up the enthusiasm among city officials, community groups, business leaders and potential benefactors, but to convince all of Silicon Valley that it has a stake in creating an urban center, along the lines of downtowns in Boston or Vancouver. Ultimately, it would take an expensive combination of public and private support to make the dream a reality.

``The road we're on now is expanding the circle of support,'' said Connie Martinez, executive director of the Children's Discovery Museum and a 1stACT founder. The aim is to persuade CEOs from throughout the region that the valley needs a vibrant urban center to continue to attract creative and talented workers.

Silicon Valley now faces worldwide competition, said Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe and a 1stACt member. ``If we're going to continue to be at the forefront of innovation, we have to make sure that we have the most creative community in the world.''

Adobe has 2,200 employees in its downtown headquarters, Chizen said, but ``they only want to live here if it's an exciting, vibrant community.'' To that end, he said, companies need to underwrite cultural organizations and encourage their employees to contribute as well.

1stACT has created a computerized presentation of drawings, maps and simulations that display what downtown could become. The group contemplates an expanded art museum connected to an expanded convention center; a cultural heritage museum where the art museum is now; a new performing arts complex to replace the Center for Performing Arts, and a stadium south of HP Pavilion, if the city lands a soccer or baseball team.

Residential high-rise projects already underway plus San Jose State's ``campus village'' plan to house more students on campus, would add thousands of residents.

And 1stACT believes downtown would be made livelier by narrower streets that make room for wider sidewalks populated by venders and entertainers. Outdoor art and landscaping would soften the concrete environment. Gateway arches would set off an entertainment and gallery district along South First Street. The goal is to meet urban planners' ``eight second rule'' -- a pedestrian should see something new that often.

The group even envisions a modern version of the 237-foot light tower that rose over downtown San Jose from 1881 to 1915, when it toppled in a storm.

Elected officials and city administrators say the vision fleshes out what San Jose has desired for years.

``It's not so much about changing the course as accelerating the course,'' said Councilman Chuck Reed, who along with Vice Mayor Cindy Chavez is running for mayor. ``I'm particularly happy to see private-sector people engaged in what we can do downtown and for the rest of the city.'' In addition to Adobe's Chizen, 1stACT includes the CEOs of Cisco Systems, Network Appliance, Agilent Technologies and other tech companies.

1stACT's proposal -- a $300,000 project, with two-thirds of the work done pro bono -- has been privately funded, with support from Adobe and the Packard and Hewlett foundations.

While 1stACT's membership draws heavily from San Jose businesses and cultural organizations, its expansion outside San Jose to the whole of Silicon Valley excites Chavez.

``In order for the South Bay to have a cultural and creative center, the broadest part of the South Bay needs to buy into that being in downtown San Jose,'' she said.

Both 1stACT members and city officials see the construction of high-rise housing downtown as a pivotal development. Six projects of 16 stories or more are either under construction or approved, adding more than 1,600 condos.

Scott Knies, executive director of the Downtown Association, which represents business and property owners, argues that high-rise housing is both the catalyst for an invigorated downtown, and the first test of how realistic the whole vision is.

``I tell my members not to underestimate the difference it will make when we talk about new residences in the thousands, not the hundreds,'' he said. On the other hand, ``let's not beat our chests prematurely. This market is far from assured.''

One message from 1stACT is that San Jose needs to loosen its regulations regarding what is allowed to happen downtown, permitting more advertising on the sides of buildings, and vendors and entertainers on the sidewalks.

City Manager Les White is receptive. ``To me, really active downtowns aren't perfect places'' with everything tidy, he said. They're a ``little unorthodox.''

For more information, go to www.1stact.org.

Contact Phil Yost at [email protected] or (408) 920-5636.
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #69
bluesbrother42fs

Likes (Received): 3

well since this blog's been dead for a while time to update you on the construction process of some major projects.

CIM Central Place Phase I (now referred to as Tower 88)
The Matt slab concrete pour has been delayed till Sept. Shoring activities continue. The project seems to have hit some snags and will probably reach a little delay again in the future.

City Heights at Pellier Park
They're almost done with the exterior panels. Once the skin is on they can work on the organs of the beast. Sales office is planned to open in december

Almaden Tower (referred to as San Jose Condominiums)
Let the on-site work BEGIN! The have begun excavation and the foundation permit was received in late June. This project will be done quite quickly which is amazing.

360 South Market
Okay, they have negotiated the lease for a sales office. Let the on-site work Begin!

Tamien Place
LET THE TOWER RISE! They have begun preparations for the second concrete pour. The framing for the garage is well underway.

okay guys..REVIVE THIS THREAD!
bluesbrother42fs no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #70
metropolismayor

Question...

Anyone know what's happening with the lot on Market Street and Santa Clara, behind The Vault and White Lotus restaurant, and across from the Post Office?
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #71
arturo
Downtown San Jose

As far as I know there are no plans whatsoever for that site. It's a shame since it's such prime real estate. I'll see if I can get on my bike this weekened and take photos of the construction sites...just to give y'all something to look at!
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #72
metropolismayor

1st ACT renderings, Pt. I

Here are some renderings from 1st Act's vision of a revamped downtown:

SoFA district-
Today

Tomorrow

The McEnery Convention Center-
Today

Tomorrow

BTW, this is the first picture I've seen of the proposed McEnenry Convention Center/San Jose Museum of Art. Looks nice, though kinda like the SJC expansion.

Park Avenue (notice the new light tower)-
Today

Tomorrow

More soon...

Last edited by metropolismayor; August 15th, 2006 at 12:57 AM.
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #73
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

The convention center looks really cool. What's the bridge crossing San Carlos St.? Is it a pedestrian or a people mover?
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #74
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

Are those couches in the second picture?
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #75
metropolismayor

1st ACT renderings, Pt. II

612bv3,
1. I dunno what that is. My guess is a people mover, too.
2. Yeah, those look like sofas, maybe so people can sit and have a nice chat amongst the traffic.

First & San Fernando-
Today

Tomorrow

First & Santa Clara-
Today

Tomorrow (I really like those worm-like entrances down into BART)

The Pavillion-
Today

The International Pavillion (that's what they're calling it) Tomorrow

Plenty more coming...
Old August 15th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #76
arturo
Downtown San Jose

Cool! Everything is so bright. But I still think South First should become a pedestrian mall, maybe even S. 2nd, too.
Why isn't anyone sitting on the couches?! Oh that's right- SJPD would likely make it illegal!
Great work.
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #77
metropolismayor

1st ACT renderings, Pt. III

Circle of Palms-
Today

Tomorrow (not exactly sure what this museum is, though its been mentioned as replacing the SJMA)

Cesar Chavez Park-
Today

Tomorrow

Post Street-
Today

Tomorrow

A few more coming...
Old August 15th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #78
metropolismayor

1st ACT renderings, Pt. IV

First Street-
Today

Tomorrow

Cesar Chavez Park again-
Today

Tomorrow

Paseo de San Antonio-
Today

Tomorrow

San Carlos St-
Today

Tomorrow

Done! So what do you think? I think they're doing a lot of things right.
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #79
bluesbrother42fs

here's another rendering that Metropolis forgot to post..it's from another thread. Well here you go...imagine this...

Old August 18th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #80
bluesbrother42fs

Here's another 1stACT rendering that Metropolis forgot to post. Well here you go! Imagine this...