daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #41
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Peek-a-Boo

A picture I recently snapped. (I'm trying to hotlink to Flickr, which I've never used before and don't even know if it really allows this, so please forgive if this post is a failure)

image hosted on flickr

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #42
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Actually......

That makes a shitload of sense! I wouldnt be surprised if it "caught fire" to make way for that Penn Tower. Even tho i HIGHLY doubt that'll get anywhere like OMS... Im not a pessimist by nature unless of course it comes to downtown Indy decisive development.
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #43
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

AND there was this "fire" a few months ago in this old apt. building on the canal that is now on the site for that elaborate canal development wit all that retail & HIGH end apartments! Hmmm, fishy eh?? But w/e i cant complain if it's for the better i dont really give a rat's ass...
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #44
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I really like the Circle Gateway. I really hope they go with the DNA idea! My only complaint is the height. Why not drive under something massive (not that this isn't) upwards of 350'-400' tall? That is making a statement!

Last edited by cwilson758; December 30th, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #45
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...LOCAL/61230003

Blaze sweeps through downtown building
Damage estimated at up to $1 million

An early-morning fire today caused up to $1 million in damage to a downtown Indianapolis building.

Firefighters responding to a 2:10 a.m. 911 call discovered flames shooting from the three-story building at 38 E. Washington St. The building housed Jenny’s Boutique, as well as other businesses.

The first fire engine arrived at 2:14 a.m. and a second alarm was put in a minute later. The fire was brought under control by 2:30 a.m.

Damage was estimated at $800,000 to $1 million, according to Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Gregg Harris.

No injuries were reported. The origin and cause of the fire were under investigation.

---------------------------

Does this sound suspicious to anyone else? This is one of a many low rise buildings on Washington that have been discussed being taken down because lack of parking has prohibited rehabilitation... With this burnt down, perhaps this and an adjoining building will finally be taken down and a highrise with garage will now be built... I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory, but living in Holy Cross, and seeing abandoned and blighted house after house mysteriously burn to the ground has really roused my suspicions... I really feel like they can't all be mysterious arsons and accidents...

I'm waiting for the three low rises next to the Disciples building and across the street from the Zipper building (corner of Washington and Delaware) to mysteriously burn next...
Was the structure historical? And are the structures at risk historical?
If so, who ever is doing this is a complete moron,(if these are arsons) since Indianapolis needs to preserve every historical structure it has,
over here, where I live(I am not %100 sure what it is called, all I know is it is near St.Joseph district)
there haven't been any arsons, if anything, restorations, it seems so odd that people would burn down a historical brick structure, and have a glassy highrise, to tell you the truth, I would much rather have a downtown made of old buildings, then have a downtown made up of highrises.
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:10 AM   #46
MCC
Made in Indy

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Why are our post counts going down again?
The forums are pruned every one in a while, so the old posts are erased and subtracted from everyone's post count.
MCC no está en línea  
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:15 AM   #47
IndyBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I really like the Circle Gateway. I really hope they go with the DNA idea! My only complaint is the height. Why not drive under something massive (not that this isn't) upwards of 350'-400' tall? That is making a statement!

Why not have the people mover do a loop-de-loop. Now THAT would be unique.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old December 31st, 2006, 01:31 AM   #48
runway whore
runway whore

what about market square and have it to where people entering from the east going into indianapolis.. it will be neat with the contrast of the sailors monument and the circular whatever it is.. i really dont' see how that is welcoming people from st. louis (i thought someone said something about welcome people from the west?).. is that the correct location of the gateway? ... I-70 goes to st. louis... that takes you right in front of the city (it needs to be facing the other way? like from north to south to welcome people?)... that isn't anywhere close to I-70... thats like greeting people from well i dunno chicago.. or not even that.. that location is scary to me...but i maybe be wrong on the location and such ... sorry if i am.. but weird place to put it..
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:07 AM   #49
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
AND there was this "fire" a few months ago in this old apt. building on the canal that is now on the site for that elaborate canal development wit all that retail & HIGH end apartments! Hmmm, fishy eh?? But w/e i cant complain if it's for the better i dont really give a rat's ass...
I'm not positive, but I think people are back living in at least some of the apartments in that building. Plus, the land use for the new development appeared to work around the space where this apartment building sits.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:31 AM   #50
billionbucks
Colts Fan

I remember there were some problems with negotiations with they abbey and new development on mass ave... then somehow the abbey burnt down and the apartments were built. that has always been a strange thing to me.
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:52 PM   #51
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
I threw together a neighborhood map:
http://www.communitywalk.com/map/40870

There are only a few neighborhoods I'm positive about the boundaries. The ones outlined in green are areas with little or no info. I've formed the boundaries after going through various publications, community organizations, and local knowledge.

I hope some people can point out the errors I've made, and maybe suggest additions of neighborhoods. I still have to add Speedway and Beech Grove. Here are the parts of town that I need info for:

Near East
Near South
Mid East

I'm only doing the neighborhoods considered "urban", which should explain the blank parts of the NE and NW.
It's fairly accurate map.

Come to think of it, I have never seen a true neighborhood map of Indy before...
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:59 PM   #52
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

As for the "Arch", I'm not impressed by it all. It's in an arbitrary location and seems rather bland.
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:11 PM   #53
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

I completely agree.
And that artical is dumb, opening with the St. Louis Arch and Golden Gate Bridge. That circle thing is NOTHING like those icons. Its got to be much larger and not look like a roller coaster.
Make it huge, fix the design, and let us go up in it, and then we'll talk.
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:35 PM   #54
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweezerinc View Post

I completely agree.
And that artical is dumb, opening with the St. Louis Arch and Golden Gate Bridge. That circle thing is NOTHING like those icons. Its got to be much larger and not look like a roller coaster.
Make it huge, fix the design, and let us go up in it, and then we'll talk.
Exactly. Thinking mediocre seems to be the rule in Indy lately.
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:43 PM   #55
arenn

Again, I attribute a lot of the mediocrity going on in Indy to a local policy of always hiring local architects and designers. In all too many cases this appears to just be recycling tax dollars into the coffers of the same plugged-in firms. Few of these designs have proven any good. I'm all for hiring locals, but there needs to be a companion demand that they produce world class work.
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:44 PM   #56
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
As for the "Arch", I'm not impressed by it all. It's in an arbitrary location and seems rather bland.
I agree. It looks like King's Island had some spare roller coaster parts and let Indy have them for real cheap. The gateway towers were much better.
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old December 31st, 2006, 09:47 PM   #57
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Yep,the towers were much better. And, they were dispersed all over downtown instead of in just one location. Imagine how they would've looked at night!
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:08 PM   #58
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

It looks like they went to Kings Island, ripped off one of the rollercoasters, and smacked it down on a part of Indianapolis that isnt even in the downtown core.
I think that something that was more unique, more...Indianapolis like, something speedy looking, since we are the racing capitol of the known world.
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #59
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

I think Indy could totally use a space needle. And I actually don't think it would look bad at all. hm.... Sometimes I'm wierd about observation towers, but get it right, and its a beautiful landmark. I think Indy could do it right. But I suppose officials in the city aren't exactly ready for such a project, given their recent behavior.
Old December 31st, 2006, 10:29 PM   #60
arenn

Quote:
Don't forget, Michael Graves is "local". We just need to hire him more often.
I'm not a huge Michael Graves fan, but he's one example. It is interesting that being from Indianapolis has not not really been hired to design very much. Louisville hired him to design the Humana Building in the 1990's, which brought huge press to that city. So the idea of Louisville hiring big name architects actaully goes back a ways.

What has he designed locally? The Thomson headquarters is basically just a fancy facade on a generic office building. The NCAA headquarters was constrained by the need to incorporate historic structures. I know he also did the Indpls Art Center, but I've actually never been to that building. I'm not sure he was ever realy turned loose.