daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #101
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Not really development news, but news nonetheless:

Indianapolis – Mayor Bart Peterson and the Mayor’s Commission on Latino Affairs will recognize Consul Sergio Aguilera and his years of service at a farewell ceremony.

Consul Aguilera became the first Consul of Mexico in Indianapolis history and has served the growing Mexican community in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio. Since his appointment as a consul of Mexico in Indiana, Consul Aguilera has been working to expand the international trade and business between Indianapolis and Mexico. He also has been very active in the promotion of the Mexican arts and culture in Indianapolis. In 2005, Consul Aguilera organized, in collaboration with the Mayor’s Office, the first Mayoral Business Mission to Mexico with the participation of more than two dozens of local business leaders.

He will retire from the Mexican Foreign Service in February 2007 after serving in different diplomatic posts around the world including China, Australia, Canada and the United States.

“During the last four years, Consul Aguilera has played an important role on key issues such international trade, celebrating our city’s rich diversity and promotion of the Mexican culture and arts. Consul Aguilera is leaving a great legacy in our city,” Mayor Peterson said.

The Mexican community is a important component of the Latino population in Indianapolis. From the start, the City of Indianapolis supported the efforts of the Mexican Government to open a Consulate Office in Indianapolis, and officially did so at Union Station in November 2002.

Source: Office of Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #102
cwilson758
Cory

I was just on Emporis and it was sad to see the InterContinental listed as "never built." It is now officially the tallest structure proposed that was never built in Indy.
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #103
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

My god that is depressing,*feels stomach churn*
I still think they should have chose the IC, but hopefully the Marriott will open up western downtown, and hopefully bring more life to the river.
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #104
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Looking for a silver lining here, maybe, hopefully the city will put some serious architectural teeth into the requirements for the new MSA site plan. I'm really not all that sad to see OMS go. I think the city is at least on notice now that people are expecting a higher standard. That is a site where something special could truly be done.
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #105
Unionstation13

Maybe now the city knows its people want to move forward, and become a world class city while preserving the past.
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #106
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Looking for a silver lining here, maybe, hopefully the city will put some serious architectural teeth into the requirements for the new MSA site plan. I'm really not all that sad to see OMS go. I think the city is at least on notice now that people are expecting a higher standard. That is a site where something special could truly be done.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. You would have thought the city would have been on notice after the Simon debacle.
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #107
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 110

^ Holcomb Observatory? That's more towards Butler.

What street is it on?
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #108
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
^ Holcomb Observatory? That's more towards Butler.

What street is it on?
Wait, its not an observatory, sorry, its near it though, I am not exactly sure about the street, but its wooded alot, I am not familiar with that area, since I stay quite a bit in Lockerbie and Mass Ave.
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #109
OSUBucks#1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...INESS/70104030

More than 6,200 people have signed electronic petitions to try and keep the Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville.

The petition at www.petitiononline.com says it was "created by Hoosiers and written by Ryan Sondhi."
Live Nation, owners of Verizon Wireless Music Center, announced Dec. 18 that the popular the 24,000-seat amphitheater would be sold to the highest bidder, regardless of how the land would be used.

The music center, which opened in 1989, is near Exit 10 of I-69 in Hamilton County, a sought-after area for commercial projects.

Predominantly farmland as little as five years ago, the area is undergoing rapid development with more than $500 million worth of medical centers, office and industrial buildings, retail centers and homes.

Plans announced for the area include a nearly 1 million-square-foot retail project by Simon Property Group called Hamilton Town Center, and medical campuses by Clarian Health Partners and St. Vincent Health.

Live Nation said last month it planned to sell some of the music centers it owns in larger markets where the "value of the real estate is greater than the value to us as a music venue."

Live Nation didn't divulge a list price for the property, which includes a small creek and several ponds. CB Richard Ellis said it's taking the property to market without an asking price.

--------------------

May I ask... WHY??? Deer Creek was a mistake when built. Traffic jams before and after events are ludicrous, the location has sucked untold monies out of downtown, where it should have been built, parking is inconvenient, and it's really never been a great facility to see a show in....

A new ampitheatre downtown would be nice, but I question whether it's necessary. Smaller shows can be handled at WSRP, and if Deer Creek is gone, where will large outdoor shows be held? Our $675,000,000 Lucas Oil Stadium, that's where. Losing Deer Creek will be a boon to our new stadium and downtown.

Sorry...but I completely disagree about Deer Creek. I am from Fishers and love the amphitheater. I have gone to concerts there for about 5 years and its a great place to see a concert. Yeah, Lucas Oil Stadium will be nice, but not for concerts. I am not a fan of indoor concerts, an outdoor amphitheater is waaaaay better. I love downtown Indianapolis, but Deer Creek needs to stay, and I personally don't think Indianapolis can compete on a size level with an outdoor venue. I think Indianapolis is more suited to smaller concert venues, and I would actually love to see some sort of music venue like a House of Blues or something added to the downtown region.
OSUBucks#1 no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #110
cwilson758
Cory

the same people wanting Deer Creek/Verizon to stay are probably the same ones who fought its arrival! NIMBY's.
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #111
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Deer Creek is an absolutely fantastic place to see a show but now that Phish isn't on tour anymore, I suppose it doesn't really matter. Haha.

I agree with OSUBucks when he says that shows at an outdoor amphitheater is better. Shows inside a stadium are about as blah as you can get. But yes, it will be a boon to the new stadium and downtown but probably not as much as you'd think. Deer Creek draws people from all over the place (I've driven almost 1,000 miles to get there). Lucas Oil Stadium wouldn't get me to move an inch.
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #112
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBucks#1 View Post
Sorry...but I completely disagree about Deer Creek. I am from Fishers and love the amphitheater. I have gone to concerts there for about 5 years and its a great place to see a concert. Yeah, Lucas Oil Stadium will be nice, but not for concerts. I am not a fan of indoor concerts, an outdoor amphitheater is waaaaay better. I love downtown Indianapolis, but Deer Creek needs to stay, and I personally don't think Indianapolis can compete on a size level with an outdoor venue. I think Indianapolis is more suited to smaller concert venues, and I would actually love to see some sort of music venue like a House of Blues or something added to the downtown region.
Generally, I agree that outdoor amphitheaters are better than indoor venues (or pseudo-outdoor venues like LOS). But I don't think there's anything special about Deer Creek in comparison to other amphitheaters. It was built on farmland where they pushed dirt around to create a hill for viewing. They could have done that anywhere. And I imagine if they do tear down Deer Creek for development, another amphitheater will be built somewhere around Indy. There's clearly a market and money to be made. Deer Creek is only being sold because the land has become very valuable, not because the venue itself is having financial problems.

In the short term, I agree with moochie that this should probably help The Lawn at WRSP, which has already had a pretty robust lineup the past couple summers.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #113
cwilson758
Cory

Deer Creek is considered one of the best out-door venues in the region. It is NEVER skipped by major acts and often is chosen over locations in bigger cities. There would definitely be a replacement built.
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #114
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Best of luck in the game this afternoon. You know who I'll be rooting for.

In Indy, they're a little too nice

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16387144.htm

Yet Chiefs fans who have never been here will find that Indianapolis, contrary to a reputation as a dullsville, has much to covet. Indy, as it calls itself, has been busy making itself over into a hotbed of culture. In recent years the city has grown the type of vibrant downtown that Kansas City wants — a clean, compact city center that bustles with art patrons and bar-hoppers, even after 5 p.m. on weekdays.

Like Kansas City, Indianapolis is building a downtown sports arena. When it opens next year, the $675 million Lucas Oil Stadium with a retractable roof will be the new home of the Colts.
kcmetro no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #115
Unionstation13

Interesting article.
I'll be rooting for the colts!
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #116
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Deer Creek is an absolutely fantastic place to see a show but now that Phish isn't on tour anymore, I suppose it doesn't really matter. Haha.
I could not agree more! Now that my Phish touring days are over (I think I sa them there 5 or 6 times in the late 90's while I was still living in VA), I really couldn't care less about the VWMC. Phil and freinds and Trey play at the WRSP. I say let it die.
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #117
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Shows inside a stadium are about as blah as you can get.
I take it you never saw a Hampton show. hehehe
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #118
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD_Landscape View Post
I take it you never saw a Hampton show. hehehe
Well, I suppose I was a little rough with the "blah" comment but I definitely enjoy outdoor amphitheater shows more. I've never seen a Hampton show but I've had my fair share of crazy arena shows, that's for sure. woah... flashback.
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #119
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Congrats to the Colts. They surprised me....on defense. It seems the roles were somewhat switched from what everyone thought it would be. LJ was a non-factor and Trent Green looked like shit. Peyton didn't play as well as he's capable of, but your guys' run game was the real deal. Best of luck in Baltimore. I'd like to see you guys finally get a super bowl win.....so maybe you won't be as eager to win the next time we play you in the playoffs. Although nobody in Indy probably hates the Chiefs......you have a lot of enemies in KC. So be careful if you visit.
kcmetro no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #120
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

One word: Addai.
NaptownBoy no está en línea