daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM   #1
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Baltimore Development News 19

...continued from the old thread.

Here's a link to the old thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=419177
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Maudibjr
Indeed

Likes (Received): 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by wada_guy View Post
Why does it always have to be either or? There is a city owned vacant parking lot directly across the street from the Terminal Warehouse that has an even larger footprint. Why not trade Hammerjacks and the Terminal building for that? That way the buildings could be saved AND the towers could be built.

The lot in question.

I would imagine that the city owned lot is not nearly as desireable for a developer. The Jones falls is right under that lot, meaning development costs would be higher, additionally it would be right on top of I-83, which would bring noise/light issues, also possible security concearns. It would also be a slightly closer to the prison, which I'm sure is a big condo selling point.

I don't see anything particuraly historic about this building other than the water shed. It looks like the first floor has been compleatly gutted anyway. I do agree that before demolition proceeds, a firm plan and financing should be in place.
Maudibjr no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #3
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Thought I'd post these renderings again for this thread.

Remember the Pez!

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #4
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

And the ICON.

Old proposal:

New proposal:
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #5
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

'Wire' to air on BET
Baltimore Business Journal - 4:45 PM EST Wednesday
Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed
BET Networks has acquired broadcast rights to "The Wire," the critically acclaimed television show set in Baltimore.

BET, the Washington, D.C.-based cable station and a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA), will begin airing the show Jan. 10, in a 90-minute block, executives said Wednesday. Following a three-night marathon next week, the show will air weekly on Thursday nights starting Jan. 18.

The deal will mark the premier of "The Wire" on basic cable. The show is part of HBO's original programming lineup.

BET plans to show all 50 episodes of the Peabody Award-winning series, which chronicles the city's drug trade and the exploits of homicide and narcotics detectives trying try to shut down the trafficking with wiretaps and prolonged surveillance.

The series has been hailed for its unflinching portrayal of an American city. "The Wire" recently concluded its fourth season on HBO and has topped many television critics' year-end best-of lists.

It's also vexed some local politicians and officials charged with marketing Baltimore, who flinch at the show's bleak portrayal of the city's ills.

Terms of the syndication deal were not disclosed. "The Wire," created by former Baltimore Sun reporter David Simon, is expected to begin production soon on its fifth and final season for HBO.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #6
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Baltimore Crossroads nabs BGE Home as tenant
Baltimore Business Journal - 5:11 PM EST Wednesdayby Daniel J. SernovitzStaff

BGE Home has reached a deal to relocate its headquarters and 200 employees to a new 100,000-square-foot building at the Baltimore Crossroads @ 95 project in White Marsh.

The Constellation Energy Group subsidiary, which services heating, air conditioning and other equipment, signed a long-term lease in November for 55,000 square feet in one of three buildings being developed at Baltimore Crossroads by the Chesapeake Real Estate Group LLC of Glen Burnie.

Baltimore Crossroads is a 1,000-acre, mixed-use development.

"We really think it's going to kick off the project for us," said Jim Lighthizer, principal with Chesapeake, in an interview Wednesday. "A pre-lease of 55,000 square feet of space before we even break ground, it was a pretty major accomplishment for our company."

Sections of Baltimore Crossroads, off the newly extended portion of Rte. 43, are being developed by several firms including Chesapeake, First Industrial Realty Trust Inc., and St. John Properties. When completed, the project will include more than 5 million square feet of office, warehouse and industrial space. There will also be about 400,000 square feet of retail space and two hotels.

BGE Home spokeswoman Catherine O'Brien said the company's support staff is spread across the region and the new lease will enable BGE Home to consolidate and expand its operations under one roof. The company's parts department is now in Rosedale, and its call and distribution center is in Columbia. In looking for new space, she said, BGE Home considered both where its customer base is as well as where its workers live.

"We're kind of spread out and we were looking for efficiency," she said. "If we're getting better efficiency, we'll pass those efficiencies on to our customers."

David S. Iannucci, executive director of the Baltimore County Department of Economic Development, said he is hopeful the deal will be the first of many for the fledgling corporate campus. With BGE Home, he said he expects the number of companies signing on for space at Baltimore Crossroads will increase in intensity over the next six to nine months.

"In what has been called probably the prime, or the best real estate opportunity on [Interstate] 95 ... this is the most important announcement so far," Iannucci said, adding Baltimore Crossroads holds the potential to create more than 10,000 jobs. "This begins the movement toward what will eventually become a corporate community."

The BGE Home deal -- valued at $4.4 million, according to details of the project submitted to the Baltimore Business Journal as part of its annual "Heavy Hitters" contest -- is Chesapeake's first at Baltimore Crossroads. In a joint venture with Prudential Real Estate Investors, Chesapeake is developing 215,000 square feet spread over three buildings at the site, to be completed by September.

Lighthizer said about 30,000 square feet of BGE Home's lease will be for corporate offices, and another 25,000 square feet will be set aside as technician and light assembly space. He said BGE Home has been growing between 3 percent and 6 percent annually, and as part of its lease, the company will have room to expand at Baltimore Crossroads as needed. He said he expects to break ground on the project within the next few weeks.

Lighthizer said hopes the company's reputation as a good corporate neighbor will help attract other companies interested in leasing space at Baltimore Crossroads.

Officials from Constellation Energy could not be reached for comment.
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #7
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

This rendering shows what is hoped to be developed on the Gateway South property. The BDC hopes to include office space, retail space, a bus station and a multi-use athletic and recreation facility.

Raven linebacker Ray Lewis helps developers tackle Gateway South

BALTIMORE - Ray Lewis just keeps winning — on and off the field. Part of a team vying for the contract to develop Baltimore’s Gateway South property, Lewis and Cormony Development received the recommendation of the Baltimore Development Corporation just before Christmas. Now, the group must wait for approval from the mayor’s office before contract negotiations can begin.

The project is estimated at more than $200 million.

“We are very excited about receiving the [BDC’s] recommendation,” said Samuel Polakoff, the managing director for Cormony Development. “We are sort of waiting for the mayor to sign off.”

The property is an 11-acre lot located across from the Carroll Camden business park. Situated just east of Route 295, the lot runs parallel to Warner Street. The current plans for the undeveloped property include 600,000 square feet of office space, a waterfront sports and recreation center and the possibility of a 7,200-square-foot inner-city Greyhound bus station. The goal is to create a huge welcome mat for south Baltimore.

“That’s the gateway into the city and what we are looking to provide is a new and enhanced gateway into the city coming from the airport,” said Phil Croskey, director of development west team from the BDC. “The actual selection was made by our board, and they felt that it was a deciding project and it could benefit the residents of the city of Baltimore and it’s a use we haven’t seen in the city.”

A co-developer of the National Bohemian tower on Brewers Hill, Cormony is a young corporation. However, thanks to Lewis teaming up with the Rockville developers, a winning name has given them credibility.

“It was a sort of perfect mutual opportunity, Polakoff said. “Ray Lewis and Cormony were looking for ways to have an additional positive impact in Baltimore and the opportunity presented itself and the [project] made percent sense.”

According to the BDC, the desire to develop this property actually dates back to 2002 as part of Baltimore’s Urban Renewal Plan. A timeline for the project remains up in the air, with many loose ends remaining to be tied.

“That time table will be contingent upon [a contract] being completed,” Croskey said.

[email protected]
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #8
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Commercial real estate market is thriving statewide

Kelly Carson, The Examiner
Read more by Kelly Carson
Jan 3, 2007 3:00 AM (14 hrs ago)

BALTIMORE - The health of commercial real estate in Maryland is vibrant and only getting stronger.

“The investment market remains strong even after several quarters of strong buyer competition for relatively limited, attractive properties,” said a study of commercial real estate in the Baltimore metro area conducted by MacKenzie Commercial Real Estate Services LLC, an independently owned member of Cushman & Wakefield.

“Parking lots are prime real estate in downtown Baltimore as two prominent locations sold to developers,” the study stated.

A hotel and condominium development is planned for 300 E. Pratt St., and a mixed use development is proposed for 414 Light St.

Occupancy rates in the downtown climbed during the third quarter of 2006, with direct vacancy falling to 11.56 percent from 11.92 during the previous quarter, MacKenzie reported.

And there is movement afoot, converting former office space into residential units.

“Of the [third] quarter sales of office buildings in Baltimore City, the majority of properties were purchased for potential rehabilitation into non-office uses or for demolition as part of a larger development,” the study reported.

Jody Landers, executive vice president of the Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors, said developers of the former commercial buildings that are becoming as residential may have to adjust prices to sell units as condos.

“There actually is room for new inventory to come online, but they may have to re-examine their price points,” Landers said. “New developments coming online seem to be in the higher end, but I expect demand to remain fairly strong because [the Baltimore region] is relatively affordable” when compared to other metro areas along the eastern seaboard.

In Harford County, almost 200,000 square feet of office space were under construction during 2006 in anticipation of an influx of workers and residents who will move into military-related and spin-off jobs as military installations in the state are beefed up as part of the Base Realignment and Closure plans by the Department of Defense.

Another real estate study, conducted by Colliers Pinkard, shows a squeeze on commercial availability in the Annapolis area even after a 82,000-square-foot structure came online during the year. The vacancy rate for the best space in Annapolis is 3.9 percent. Second-tier office space is equally tight, with a 5.6 percent vacancy rate.

In Howard County, about 39 percent of new second-tier office space under construction has been pre-leased, which should help stabilize the commercial vacancy rate that currently is around 15 percent, Colliers Pinkard said.

[email protected]
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #9
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Another website link to keep a close eye on: http://www.turnerdevelopment.com/portfolio.php

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #10
getontrac

Likes (Received): 0

1700 block Calvert and 1209 N. Chas

I gotta say, the new rowhouses on the 1700 block of N. Calvert actually look better in person than in rendering--the opposite of what is usually the case in my mind.

The 5th and finally floor of plywood card house of 1209 N. Charles is up, I think I was on target for topping off. I'm sure it'll be within the next 2 weeks.

Back to Calvert, the 1600 block and the east side of the 1700 block are really starting to look better. You can see some real renovations underway. If we can get the 1800 block moving then North Ave is ripe for the taking...

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #11
BigBalto1

Driving down Broadway I noticed construction on the second building at the JH Bio Park. You can see the elevator shafts going up.
BigBalto1 no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #12
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Very good news.
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #13
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post
I gotta say, the new rowhouses on the 1700 block of N. Calvert actually look better in person than in rendering--the opposite of what is usually the case in my mind.

The 5th and finally floor of plywood card house of 1209 N. Charles is up, I think I was on target for topping off. I'm sure it'll be within the next 2 weeks.

Back to Calvert, the 1600 block and the east side of the 1700 block are really starting to look better. You can see some real renovations underway. If we can get the 1800 block moving then North Ave is ripe for the taking...

Nate
Any pictures of the new rowhouses, Nate?
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #14
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
this tower looks like it's going to be atleast 23 floors. that's decent height considering it's in the canton area.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #15
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

I was told it was 23 stories.

Marco Greenberg, the Vice President of Cignal Corp. told me.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #16
MasonsInquiries

Talking

Quote:
Commercial real estate market is thriving statewide

Kelly Carson, The Examiner
Read more by Kelly Carson
Jan 3, 2007 3:00 AM (14 hrs ago)

BALTIMORE - The health of commercial real estate in Maryland is vibrant and only getting stronger.

“The investment market remains strong even after several quarters of strong buyer competition for relatively limited, attractive properties,” said a study of commercial real estate in the Baltimore metro area conducted by MacKenzie Commercial Real Estate Services LLC, an independently owned member of Cushman & Wakefield.

“Parking lots are prime real estate in downtown Baltimore as two prominent locations sold to developers,” the study stated.

A hotel and condominium development is planned for 300 E. Pratt St., and a mixed use development is proposed for 414 Light St.

Occupancy rates in the downtown climbed during the third quarter of 2006, with direct vacancy falling to 11.56 percent from 11.92 during the previous quarter, MacKenzie reported.

And there is movement afoot, converting former office space into residential units.

“Of the [third] quarter sales of office buildings in Baltimore City, the majority of properties were purchased for potential rehabilitation into non-office uses or for demolition as part of a larger development,” the study reported.

Jody Landers, executive vice president of the Greater Baltimore Board of Realtors, said developers of the former commercial buildings that are becoming as residential may have to adjust prices to sell units as condos.

“There actually is room for new inventory to come online, but they may have to re-examine their price points,” Landers said. “New developments coming online seem to be in the higher end, but I expect demand to remain fairly strong because [the Baltimore region] is relatively affordable” when compared to other metro areas along the eastern seaboard.

In Harford County, almost 200,000 square feet of office space were under construction during 2006 in anticipation of an influx of workers and residents who will move into military-related and spin-off jobs as military installations in the state are beefed up as part of the Base Realignment and Closure plans by the Department of Defense.

Another real estate study, conducted by Colliers Pinkard, shows a squeeze on commercial availability in the Annapolis area even after a 82,000-square-foot structure came online during the year. The vacancy rate for the best space in Annapolis is 3.9 percent. Second-tier office space is equally tight, with a 5.6 percent vacancy rate.

In Howard County, about 39 percent of new second-tier office space under construction has been pre-leased, which should help stabilize the commercial vacancy rate that currently is around 15 percent, Colliers Pinkard said.

[email protected]
...........and they said our market was starting to deteriorate. this goes to show just how much they know. critics.....ya' gotta' love 'em.......LOL!!!!

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; January 4th, 2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #17
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Now, bring on the cranes!
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #18
getontrac

Quote:
Any pictures of the new rowhouses, Nate?
When I get that scanner to convert my 35mm, I'll show you everything!! I'm not giving up on film!

Nate
getontrac no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #19
MasonsInquiries

Thumbs up

i love everyone's prediction for 2007. speaking of which, i got an email from a representative at ksi's baltimore branch. she said that ksi is looking to knock down bob's trucking building and start on the greektown development in the spring.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: RE: Greektown project
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 16:59:48 -0500
From: "Caren Garfield" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: "bobby mason" <[email protected]>
We are currently in the engineering approvals phased and expect to begin demolition of the existing structures this spring. Please contact me with additional questions.

Caren

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:53 PM
To: Caren Garfield
Subject: RE: Greektown project

Caren,

Sorry for asking so many questions about the Greektown development. I remember you saying that there are going to be 1,085 residential units to this PUD. Do you have any idea to roughly when this project will start? Thanks!!!

--

Bobby

Caren Garfield <[email protected]> wrote:

Bobby,

I was out of the office on Tuesday so I apologize for the delayed response. KSI's approved Greektown Planned Unit Development (PUD) allows for a total of 1,085 residential units. Approximately 158 of these units will be town homes. The remaining 927 residential units will be some combination of apartments and condominiums. The maximum height on the edge of the site closest to the railroad tracks permits 23 stories while the remaining multifamily buildings are 14- and 8-stories. The PUD also includes a small retail strip along O'Donnell Street . The PUD does not include any office buildings.

I hope that this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. Thank you for your interest in the KSI's development in Greektown.

Caren

Last edited by MasonsInquiries; January 4th, 2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #20
scando

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by getontrac View Post

The 5th and finally floor of plywood card house of 1209 N. Charles is up, I think I was on target for topping off. I'm sure it'll be within the next 2 weeks.....

Nate
I have seen several buildings around town under construction, including 1209 and the Streuver condos at St Paul and 33rd that have that plywood-house-of-cards look while being built and I can't help thinking about how flammable a building like that must be. It reminds me of videos of the Branch Davidian compound (a big plywood building). Anybody know if buildings like this are really as scary as they appear? Are the sprinklers that good?
scando no está en línea