daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > General > NASF Archive

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #101
elmwood
Go drink a six-pack!

Likes (Received): 6

From http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/35081.html

Quote:
Yet, to him, the phrase “flower district” is new, having slipped into the local lexicon since two former wholesalers opened retail flower shops on the 400 block of Ellicott Street.

If Cheektowaga were part of Buffalo, neighborhoods there would be called the "Flamingo District," "Brick Ranch District", "Virgin Mary District", "Dupa District", "Bowling District" and "Fish Fry District."
elmwood no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #102
Jerome
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Area home sales rose 14% in February
Median and averageprices improved
By Matt Glynn NEWS BUSINESS REPORTER
Updated: 03/17/07 7:06 AM

Home sales in Buffalo Niagara increased 14 percent in February from a year ago, and the median and average sale prices improved, according to the Buffalo Niagara Association of Realtors (BNAR).

A total of 609 homes were sold, up from 532 a year ago, the BNAR said. Both figures were adjusted to reflect a change in the way the association counts sales, following a directive from the state and national realtors groups. The results no longer include pending deals, just closed sales.

BNAR has also revised its median and average sale price data to reflect the change, so that pending sales are excluded.

The median sale price, meaning half of the homes sold for more and half sold for less than that amount, was $91,000 in February, up 7 percent from February 2006.

The average sale price, which is more likely to be influenced by sales of exceptionally high- or low-priced homes, rose 4.3 percent to $114,343.

A total of 77 homes sold for $200,000 or more, up six from a year ago.

The region’s inventory of unsold homes continued to grow.

There were 4,728 homes on the market, up 3.4 percent from a year ago. New listings fell 1.5 percent from February 2006.

Patricia Taylor, president of the BNAR, said in a statement that she expected to see a recordbreaking year for sales this year, following a dip in 2006.

Nationally, economist David Lereah of the National Association of Realtors says he expects existing- home sales of 6.42 million this year, which would be a slight decline from 6.48 million a year ago.

Lereah said existing home sales should begin to increase this year after what appeared to be a “cyclical low” last fall.
Jerome no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #103
Jerome
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyburbia View Post
From http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/35081.html

If Cheektowaga were part of Buffalo, neighborhoods there would be called the "Flamingo District," "Brick Ranch District", "Virgin Mary District", "Dupa District", "Bowling District" and "Fish Fry District."
OMG you are sooooo funnneeeee!!!
Jerome no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #104
elmwood
Go drink a six-pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
OMG you are sooooo funnneeeee!!!
elmwood no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #105
shovel_ready
NIMBYcrusher9000

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah way too many pockets of Buffalo certain boosters like to slap their own "district" labels on. I think the absolute is the "Lexi District" a stupid name concocted by a certain BR founder because one corner happens to have a few neat old mixed-use buildings.

People can harp on a name like "NoDo" being a copycat of nomenclature from trendy neighborhoods in other cities. But Cyb is right, we need to suck it up and take cues from these more prosperous places.

Think of modern center city living in N. America as a niche market lifestyle. It needs to be marketed accordingly. If this involves concepts and terminology people are already aware of, so be it! The idea is to sell city living to as much of the regional population as possible.

If I was in charge of trying to market "NoDo" as the place to be, I'd highlight these features:

*Quick walking distance to so much stuff: Allentown, Chippewa/Theatre District, Medical Campus, CBD, West Village
*Served by Metro Rail
*Important buildings include: Sidway, Trico complex, Granite Works, Ansonia Center, and more.
*Hybrid of historic office and industrial atmosphere
*No NIMBYs or preservation district baggage to hold up new projects and try to regulate/dumb down new architecture and design.
*700 block serving as commercial focal point, soon to be rebuilt for two-way traffic.
shovel_ready no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #106
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 638

I'm afraid even if the NoDo label is accepted, the sNews will end up calling it the "Nodo District". Lol.

It's kinda like the "Galleria Mall". Some people have a difficult time just calling it "The Galleria"
homestar está en línea ahora  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #107
homestar
Baleeted!

which by the way just reminded me of an old "Just Shoot Me" episode where she's dating some guy that would always say "Jacket Coat" instead of just Jacket, and it was driving her crazy.

Old March 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #108
DallasTexan

I would like to add this little song we have to sing on Wednesday at our yearly banquet. Corporate, branches, internal, mortgage... everyone will be there (and square).

HSBC: lyrics to “The Power”

You’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!
Hey, yeah!

From the shores of Hong Kong all the way to Niagara Falls,
The HSBC team can deliver it all!
Premier and Small Business, the way to grow
Wealth and Banking the way to go!

We drive for success to win those campaigns
Our whole team is usin’ your name!
We’ll be, we’ll be, winnin’ the game!
We are the wor-ld’s local bank!

The Customer Experience
We continue to evaluate
Mystery Shops and surveys we gotta do great!

You’ve got the power, which you are holdin’
An ability to succeed that can’t be stolen!
A strength that won’t be broken!

Segment teams define us from the rest
Individual Reviews, we strive for the best!
And all those questions we are posing
Findin’ those needs,
‘cause we just want that!

You’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!

We’re livin’, We’re livin’, We’re livin’ the brand!

Premier’s got the power!
FA’s got the power!
Small Business’ got the power!
Branches got the power!
We’ve all got the power!

MCD helps us fly
Less passwords is why
Watchin’ CIF going bye bye bye!

You’ve got the power, to be respectful and fair
We’re progressive and perceptive, no one else can compare!
A power to be responsive, live the brand and care!

Opportunity Meetings, goin’ so well
Referrals between partners, we’re startin’ to gel!.
Our clients, they are, startin’ to tell

Financial Advisors are key to the game
And our CSRs will call you by name!

You’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!

The Biz Team needs those DCOs
‘Cause lending to our clients is the way to go!

The joined up concept, it’s hard to get right
But with teamwork,
The revenue is out of sight!

We love those Bank at Work results,
The mortgage team is somethin’ else
Middle market helps show the way
Our DSO’s are savin’ the day!

CCO’s and KRA’s, MCD and CRA,
Expired promises just won’t happen
BI Revenue we’ll keep on mappin’
The NA region is paving the way!

We’ve got the power!
He’s got the power!
She’s got the power!
They’ve got the power!
You’ve got the power!
I’ve got the power!

wooooooooooohooo. Buffalonians write the cheesiest theme songs
DallasTexan no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #109
elmwood
Go drink a six-pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
It's kinda like the "Galleria Mall". Some people have a difficult time just calling it "The Galleria"
Oh man, that's one of my irrational, yet major peeves too. "Walden Galleria Mall" is like saying "ATM machine".

I think it's just inertia that's the force behind "Galleria Mall" - while the rest of the country is filled with shopping centers that have different naming schemes, in Buffalo it's mostly "plaza" and "mall." For a Buffalonian, saying "Galleria" without adding a "mall" after it is like being Canadian and leaving out the "eh?" at the end of a sentence. I sometimes hear "Consumer Square Plaza" for the various Benderson-built Whatever Consumer Square centers, too.

I could imagine if a new shopping center is built in suburban Buffalo, and it's given a "trendy" but unfamiliar-to-local-ears type of name like "The Shops at North Forest" or "The Commons on Main", natives will default to "North Forest Plaza" and "Commons Plaza."

People can sometimes be a bit pretentious around here. A lifestyle center near me is called "Eton Chagrin Boulevard." I shorten it to "Eton", but many people actually call it the full name in casual conversation. Don't know what would be worse, the full name from a Shaker Heights soccer mom or, from Joanne's mouth, "Eaton Plee-EAH-zuh."

Last edited by elmwood; March 19th, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
elmwood no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #110
homestar
Baleeted!

I liked that song (the original I mean) Don't ruin it for me!

Old March 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #111
elmwood
Go drink a six-pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTexan View Post

elmwood no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #112
Sabretooth
Proud Paultard

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTexan View Post
I would like to add this little song we have to sing on Wednesday at our yearly banquet. Corporate, branches, internal, mortgage... everyone will be there (and square).

HSBC: lyrics to “The Power”

How many ex-Marine Midland managers were in on that? Man, you work for a strange company.

Quote:
Oh man, that's one of my irrational, yet major peeves too. "Walden Galleria Mall" is like saying "ATM machine".
I hate when people say ATM machine. There are a few other redundancies I can't stand as well. I want to bash them across the face with a piece of heavy mining equipment.
Quote:
People can sometimes be a bit pretentious around here. A lifestyle center near me is called "Eton Chagrin Boulevard." I shorten it to "Eton", but many people actually call it the full name in casual conversation. Don't know what would be worse, the full name from a Shaker Heights soccer mom or, from Joanne's mouth, "Eaton Plee-EAH-zuh."
I wonder how many people in Buffalo once said "yeah, I got a nice pair of pants at Adam, Meldum, and Anderson's downtown der."

FWIW, I've always called it "the Galleria" (even though, technically, it's "the Walden Galleria"), but I do have a tendency to fall into the other "bad" habits. I still do much of my grocery shopping at Tops, you know, the one at the Seneca Mall.

Maybe I'll refer to it as "The Shops at West Seneca" when there are actually more than two, non-big box, retailers there. I don't envision that happening, not on such a prime big box location like that. They breed on sites like that.

www.CampaignforLiberty.com - 1776 > 1984. Truth is treason in an empire of lies.
Sabretooth no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #113
elmwood
Go drink a six-pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I wonder how many people in Buffalo once said "yeah, I got a nice pair of pants at Adam, Meldum, and Anderson's downtown der."
One of my friend's moms said "Adammeldrum's". Yup, she was Polish. Most people just said it like "ay-em-en-ayz". Hens and Kelly was never shortened to "aich-en-kays"; it was usually said as "Hens n' Kelly's"

Buffalonians are generally reluctant to use a new name for something until it's been in use for a long time. Many people called Thruway Mall "Thruway Plaza" right up until it was demolished several years ago. Thruway Plaza became Thruway Mall in 1976.

Last edited by elmwood; March 19th, 2007 at 09:02 PM.
elmwood no está en línea  
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #114
Sabretooth
Proud Paultard

Quote:
One of my friend's moms said "Adammeldrum's".
Yeah, that's a mouthful. Never heard that one myself.

Quote:
Buffalonians are generally reluctant to use a new name for something until it's been in use for a long time. Many people called Thruway Mall "Thruway Plaza" right up until it was demolished several years ago. Thruway Plaza became Thruway Mall in 1976.
I can think of several like instances in NH as well, so I'm not so sure it's exclusively a Buffalo thing. Maybe it's more prevalent to a certain degree, but it's certainly not exclusive.

Ask anybody in Concord about "the Bradlees Plaza", "Ames Plaza", or the "Sears Block", and they'll all know what they are. You won't be able to find them, though. There are more examples, I've just been away long enough that the memory is starting to dull.

They even carry it a step farther sometimes and refer to a current site by what the previous land use was; usually something redneck-ish. I'm trying to remember a specific example but I'm drawing a blank right now. Something like "at the Target where the old <insert old man's name> rifle range used to be".

There seems to be alot of that in Lowell, too; based on what I hear from my gf's family (which is a very limited sample). It's really annoying when her grandmother is trying to give me directions to some place and she's referencing stores and plazas that haven't existed for 20 years, and then looking at my gf like she's nuts for not remembering them. Even though her family left Lowell when she was 7.

www.CampaignforLiberty.com - 1776 > 1984. Truth is treason in an empire of lies.
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #115
homestar
Baleeted!

I think no matter where you live, older people tend to hold on to names they've been using for years. The older you are, the more names you have a history with. Younger people (and new residents) will use the new name more easily because they don't have a long history with the old name.

Buffalo doesn't have as many new, out of town residents as growing cities do.

Ball Parks and Arenas are other examples. I personally hate the "new" name Dunn Tire Park (new from like 10 years ago!) and occasionally call it Pilot Field. But Anyone under 20 probably wouldn't have ever seen it with the old name, and only use Dunn Tire Park.
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #116
Sabretooth
Proud Paultard

I still call it Pilot Field. That said, however, Dunn Tire Park is a vast improvement over "North Americare Park". Those truly were the dark days.

I still also say "Rich Stadium". I don't know, maybe because I've never really cared for Ralph Wilson and his decision to name the stadium after himself? I will admit, though, that "The Ralph" is a fitting place to go and see that team play sometimes.

Stadiums are definitely the extreme. Especially the ones that seem to change every year. It's almost pathetic, really. Does this advertising really work? Do people go to Dunn Tire Park and think "I think I'll stop over at Dunn Tire after the game and buy some new tires" or go to HSBC Arena and think "I'm going to go to HSBC tomorrow and take out a new mortgage!"? Ooooh, the Sabres were playing in BankAtlantic Arena last week, I think it's time to open up a checking account there! Of course those are fairly pedestrian, everyday brands. Some of these other ones, you wonder when the hell your average Joe Blow is ever going to have a use for their product.

Old March 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #117
elmwood
Go drink a six-pack!

Yeah, I also revert to "Pilot Field" and "Rich Stadium." I think the explanation that homestar gave rings true; more older people, who are more likely to hold on to old names.

The old farts that still use "State Teacher's College" and "Rosary Hill College", though ... well, that's pushing it.

When I lived in New Mexico, the redneck-style site names and directions were almost impossible to decipher. "Well, you turn off the paved road at the old Chuy's Place, and then take a right where Rudy Tellez shot his horse a few years ago, until you get to the fence line of the old Baca Ranch, where they used to have the cockfights ..."

Last edited by elmwood; March 19th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
elmwood no está en línea  
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #118
DallasTexan

These shots are cool as hell.

1977 - notice the newly completed "Western" Peachtree Plaza

2007:

1965:

2007:

With numerous more buildings proposed or under construction, I can't wait to see the "'07" shots in '09!
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #119
Evergrey
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare

Likes (Received): 4

can you do a similar post for past and present Buffalo, DallasTexan?
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #120
DallasTexan

Of course!

Buffalo, 1968:

Buffalo, 2007:

We got a new arena and a sign on our tallest like 15 years ago.