daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #1
london lad

Likes (Received): 486

The Goodsyard London | Shoreditch | 166m/153m/130m/117m/74m | Proposed

I know this was talked about in the 201 Bishopsgate thread but thought I'd post it in its own thread

This from Hammersons website (there recent accounts)

Hammerson has paid £4.1 million to Hackney Council for an option for three years to acquire the Northgate land, which currently has planning consent for 71,500 m² (770,000 ft²) of office space. Further amounts will be payable to Hackney Council on exercise of the option and on the granting of planning and the development and leasing phases of the scheme.

Hammerson has also entered into a contract with Lehman Brothers to terminate the latter’s current option arrangement over the Northgate site with Hackney Council.

Hammerson’s revised proposals for the enlarged Northgate scheme, which will include the group’s adjoining Norton Folgate site, are for a mixed-use development of 79,000 m² (850,000 ft²), incorporating around 43,000 m² (463,000 ft²) of office accommodation, residential units, a hotel and public spaces. Hammerson is currently progressing the scheme proposals in consultation with Hackney Council, with a view to submitting a planning application at the end of 2005.

Hammerson acquired the Norton Folgate site, which currently has planning consent for an 18,600 m² (200,000 ft²) office scheme, as part of its acquisition of the Railtrack portfolio in 2002. In addition to Norton Folgate, the group has two further potential office and mixed-use schemes in the area at Bishopsgate Goodsyard and on Shoreditch High Street.

I also came across a pic in there lastest financial reports- Looks like this is now 90,000 sqm half offices & the rest apartments & htoels- Theres even a pic on pg 37 although its not too clear.

The report also mentions they will be submitting a planning app in the next few months.

http://www.hammerson.co.uk/presentat...nary%20results

london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #2
london lad

I just croped & edited the brightness but its still not much better so we cant really judge it untill we see some better pics- Look as tall as 201 broadgate though.

Old April 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #3
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1739

That's going to be in one hell of a tight relationship with Broadgate Tower. Looks to me like it's been overdeveloped, so to speak.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 174

I don't think we can tell much till we get a better render, but from that it looks OK, seems to have some grass on the smaller roof?
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #5
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 1

Excited I opened this topic, just to find THAT image... sorry, _Thumbnail_

Last edited by jorgen; April 5th, 2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #6
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6172

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
Looks like this is now 90,000 sqm half offices & the rest apartments & hotels
Blimey, that's huge. Nearly a million square feet.
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #7
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgen
Excited I opened this topic, just to find THAT image... sorry, _Thumbnail_
Get yourself a magnifying glass then
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #8
london lad

Bit of none to encouraging news on building.co.uk- Seems this might not be as tall as first thought- mainly due to those f****rs at EH complaining about the height (surprise surprise)

Hammerson to push on with £180m Bishopsgate scheme

Developer to put 100,000 m2 mixed-use City scheme in for planning, despite jitters in the speculative market

21 April, 2006

By George Hay

Developer Hammerson is to continue its £180m Northgate scheme around Bishopsgate Goods Yard in the City of London, despite signs of a market slowdown.

The developer will submit a planning application to Hackney council in the next few months for a 100,000 m2 scheme that could rise to 25 storeys.

The news comes amid reports last week that developer Minerva could shelve plans for its 50-storey skyscraper at nearby Aldgate in east London. The Minerva Tower, designed by Grimshaw, could be built as a 50,000 m2 low-rise scheme, rather than the current 100,000 m² design.

Vacancy levels for offices in the City are still thought to be in the region of 10%, making developers nervous about bringing speculative schemes to the market. The Minerva Tower would face competition from other large office developments being planned by Heron, Difa and British Land.

At Northgate, Hammerson will link two sites on which it already has planning consent - Norton Folgate, which has planning permission for a 100 m tall tower designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox, and another plot of land close to the railway line. If developed it would be one of the first large developments in the City fringe north of Liverpool Street Station.

The scheme will include offices, shops, flats and a hotel, and because of its range of uses could come to the market sooner than a dedicated office scheme.

Foster and Partners took over the scheme in April 2005 and since then it has been reworked a number of times. English Heritage is thought to have objected to the height of the scheme.
“Vacancy levels for offices in the City are thought to be in the region of 10%”

One source close to Hammerson said the start of the scheme would depend on the state of the market.

The source said: "We have the two consents and we're combining Norton Folgate with the site over the railway line. The scheme is roughly the same size as Bishops Square nearby."

The Foster team is led by partner Grant Brooker and is working with consultant Davis Langdon and engineers WSP and Hoare Lea.

Hammerson is hoping to get consent by this autumn, but it is difficult to be specific about a date to start construction because major schemes in the City are dependent on the market.

Minerva refused to comment on whether it would reduce the scope of the Minerva Tower development.
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #9
DarJoLe

Nice depressing article.

We won't see any of these fabulous skyscrapers go up whilst groundscrapers keep appearing (or not) on the skyline. They seem to be the bane of the City.
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #10
jorgen
Viking

Likes (Received): 1

There should be a height limit saying that no building can be between 30 and 150 meters high
jorgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #11
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 2

Presumably EH would want all buildings to be 20m in that case
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #12
london lad

The thing thats bugs me is EH gets all rabid about height & we get left with stumpy inelegant mid-rises which instead of soaring towers with a bit of grace. As a result we get an inelegant skyline not soaring or lowrise but a middle ground fudge that does nothing for anybody.

It would seem EH dont care what a building looks like so long as its not tall. Dont they release a small stumpy half hearted compromise does nothing for the local enviroment & just means we end up with maxium density groundscrapers that do far more damage to the local area at street level.
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #13
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad
It would seem EH dont care what a building looks like so long as its not tall. Dont they release a small stumpy half hearted compromise does nothing for the local enviroment & just means we end up with maxium density groundscrapers that do far more damage to the local area at street level.
I couldn't agree more. Developers aren't going to curtail the amount of office space they want per a plot ratio, which EH seems to want happen, but will simply when they can't get the height squish the building down and produce a heavy stumpy block which soaks up open space.

However, we can't have unlimited towers popping up everywhere with large amounts of open space beneath which is un-used due to being too windswept ala Canary Wharf.

We need a direct balance and I think (I hope) the City is on the pulse with this one.
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #14
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe
I couldn't agree more. Developers aren't going to curtail the amount of office space they want per a plot ratio, which EH seems to want happen, but will simply when they can't get the height squish the building down and produce a heavy stumpy block which soaks up open space.

However, we can't have unlimited towers popping up everywhere with large amounts of open space beneath which is un-used due to being too windswept ala Canary Wharf.

We need a direct balance and I think (I hope) the City is on the pulse with this one.
I think the city & both architects & developers of DIFA & 122LH have al designed the scheme in relation to each other & I think we should see some interesting ground space. With regard Heron, they & the corp of London will see the road around it pedestrianinesed & should be a pleasant ground/city scape to compliment their Heron plaza scheme.

EH dont seem to care what the alternative is & dont seem to offer any sugestions instead they just say - we can see the top from one of our parks,churches etc- go back & make it shorter & screw the city scape at st level of whatevers proposed. Same with Westminster -any proposed of a decent slender heigh they throw back & then give planning to the stumper more dense alternative & seem smug in the knowledge that they have skain the skyscraper & bugger the consequences at ground level ( & there beloved skyline as what were left with is a massive stumpy mid-rise which can still be seen on the skyline)
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM   #15
london lad

Apoligy's to those expecting more news on this proposed tower (its been well overdue ) but I found this article which I first read a while back but lost. It shows how this area of the city should be pretty well redeveloped in the comming years & hopefully 201 Bishopsgate wont be the only tower.

Heres a pic of Hammersons holdings in the area, including Northgate & the 80's rec brick building directly opposite to 201 BG. This area could potentialy be a dramatic entrance into the city of London.

It also mentions Bishopsgate goodsyard having up to 7million sq ft of development which is a helluva lot- Thats bound to equate to a few high rise office or resi towers.

Anyway Hammersons holdings in the area (practically surrounds 201 BG) & an old news story on it.

I just hope that it doesn't encroah further on shoreditch & destroy more victorian & georgian buildings though. I know northgate & bishopsgaate are empty plots & the one oppo 201bg is 80's architecture but im not to sure what else comprises the plot.

Developer teams up with City to develop huge mixed scheme

By Tim Danaher

Hammerson is set to consolidate its control of the north-eastern fringe of the City of London by developing a vast site in Spitalfields.

The quoted developer is working with the Corporation of London to draw up plans for the 5 acre (2 ha) site, which sits between Hammerson’s developments at Spitalfields and Bishopsgate Goodsyard.

City sources say the site could easily accommodate several million square feet of development. Hammerson already owns part of the site – the air rights over the railway lines into Liverpool Street, which would form part of the scheme.

The scheme will be one of the biggest to come forward in the next development cycle, and could form a key outlet for the next upturn in the City’s fortunes.

Although its lies within the boroughs of Tower Hamlets and Hackney, the Corporation has been acquiring the land over the last three years as part of its bid to provide sites on the City fringe capable of accommodating large buildings.

‘We are in close discussions with Hammerson,’ said deputy City surveyor Peter Bennett. ‘Although this is a long-term scheme, we are aiming to start discussing our ideas with the local authorities as soon as possible.’ No formal joint venture has yet been agreed but Bennett said Hammerson would be taking the scheme forward.

The site – known as the Nicholls & Clarke site after a builders merchant which partly occupies it – is a triangle with Shoreditch High Street and Norton Folgate to the west, Folgate Street to the south and Commercial Street to the east.

While the scheme would include a large office element, other uses are likely to be incorporated. The Corporation knows it has to be be sensitive to be the the local community to avoid the planning battles which dogged the Spitalfields market redevelopment.

Hammerson, which declined to comment, is the most bullish of the developers active in the City, particularly on the eastern fringe. It has developed new buildings for ABN Amro and the Royal Bank of Scotland, at 250 and 280 Bishopsgate, and next year it will complete 1 Bishops Square, Allen & Overy’s new base, on the site of Spitalfields market.

But these schemes are dwarfed by its future development pipeline. Up to 7m sq ft (650,315 sq m) is proposed for Bishopsgate Goodsyard while the company is also poised to buy Lehman Brothers’ option over the Northgate site, opposite the Nicholls & Clarke site.
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #16
Skid-Mark
Punctual and polite

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry to bring this thread back to the top, but i noticed something on the render:::

The render shows the broadgate tower/201 bishopsgate in the wrong location, they should be on the brown patch directly beneath it in the pic, also rotated 90 degree clockwise.

Why is this relevant??? it's not really, it does mean however that the relationship between Folgate and broadgate tower will not seem so over-developed though, and will strech the cluster further north away from the main city cluster.

There is also the possibilty that what i'm percieving as the broadgate tower/201 bg is actually the new tower (folgate...) in which case the towers would be right besides one another.

Hard to tell with the small render.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
this has decended into farce...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #17
Medo

Likes (Received): 356

The Broadgate tower will be right in front of Norton Folgate tower

Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #18
Skid-Mark
Punctual and polite

Likes (Received): 0

Well in that case there appears to be two towers in that render???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
this has decended into farce...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #19
london lad

could be or it might just be one tower steeped back .

If you look at the 201 Bishgate webcam you can see the derelict land to the north which Hammerson own & are drawing up plans for a mixed use scheme. So there will potentially be 2 towers along this strecth of Bishopsgate, 201 & the norton folgate one.
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #20
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo
The Broadgate tower will be right in front of Norton Folgate tower

okay, I see. The Hammerson site, and the site of the tower and the low rise development on this little image is currently the home of the indoor football sheds, and the across to Shoreditch High Street, the home of the rather funky 'Light' Bar, north of Worship Street. Rather interestingly, the website has an appeal for online support against some 'developers' who are threatening the lease and want to demolish the building. Now that all makes sense.

The Light Bar

What do we want, retention of the old warehouse conversion and a fine city drinking den, or a high rise hotel / residential / commercial development to add to the London skyline. Its a toughie, dilemma overload!
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: