search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #1841
Auberon
UTB

Likes (Received): 422

Imgur is another decent alternative.

http://imgur.com/
Auberon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2017, 05:15 PM   #1842
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3819

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf stone View Post
I have restored the photographs on #70 from Flickr. Only another 2695 to go. Thanks Photobucket. The Pork Shop sign now qualifies as a Ghost Sign as the shop has been closed for over a year, I think.
Really good to read that you are prepared to replace the now non hot linked Photobucket images, given the number posted it will take some time but will be good to restore the history that you have uploaded.

I know one other member who is in your position and they too are carrying out the replacement exercise.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:44 PM   #1843
alf stone

Likes (Received): 338

Photobucket

When I joined Photobucket in 2008 it was the best photo storage facility I could find on the internet. When I joined Skyscrapercity in 2010 it seemed natural to use Photobucket for third party sharing though I didn’t know it was called that then. As my collection grew I went Pro and paid for additional storage space. Then in early 2013 came the message all computer users dread, “We are rolling out the all new improved Photobucket”. Instantly all of the most useful features disappeared. When questioned they cited “teething troubles” and were doing everything possible to rectify the situation. The removal of the search system was the most crucial as by this time I had about 20,000 photographs stored in various albums but I couldn’t find any of them because I wasn’t allowed to search my own albums by file name or title. After six months of frequent and fruitless requests and promises I removed all of my photographs apart from the SSC ones which I thought would be safe and reverted to a free storage deal. Eventually I stopped using Photobucket altogether and transferred my allegiance to Flickr. I feel a bit like the NHS when faced with ransom-ware. Pay up or else!
alf stone está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #1844
Kremin
Middle aged family guy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Reetson View Post
What's going on with Photobucket? I use them to host images that I post on here, and now they've "temporarily" deleted them all (see here) from this board until I pay them an annual subscription. This has happened to all "free" Photobucket users who have hotlinked images to any forum.

Apparently Photobucket changed their terms of use last week. I can't find any information on how much money they want from me, although according to discussions I've found about this on Google, it could be in the region of sixty dollars. Obviously I'm not keen on paying this as SkyscraperCity is the only thing I use it for, and I don't fancy going through every picture I've posted over seven years and uploading them to another host, and then replacing them on here.

Edit: It seems that I need to upgrade to the Plus 100 package at 99 dollars a year, which will allow me to continue hotlinking images to this forum, and restore the ones already on here. Bye bye Photobucket.

http://photobucket.com/pricing
Actually you need to upgrade to the plus 500 which is $399 per year to enable 3rd party hosting
Kremin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #1845
Stamford

Likes (Received): 683

My humble apologies.....

Dear all,

Very sorry to have been a bad lad and disappeared a number of months ago. Was nice to get a couple of PMs expressing concern, and definitely my bad for not saying anything.

Trying to keep story short, I'd been toying with the idea of trying life back down south, for a number of years and around January time finally made the decision to go for it, hence becoming a bit less active on here initially. I finally moved away (Back to West Sussex) at the end of March. Any of you that follow my Flickr account will likely have worked that out for yourselves anyway

However, I still have a daughter living in the area, so I will most definitely be back on a reasonably regular basis. I also discovered shortly after making the big decision to move away, that she was expecting and indeed the baby was due last week. So, I took a week off work and came up hoping the baby would arrive on time. Sadly he didn't, which means another flying visit next weekend (ish) after I've found it's arrived.

When I do come up, I will definitely still be taking pictures, but with other commitments down here I more than likely won't be in a position to add them to the relevant threads on here. However, I will gladly tell you when there are new pictures and if anyone wants to link from Flickr to them in the relevant threads, then please feel free to do so.

I'm amazed at how much has changed in just the 3 1/2 months I've moved away, so I really will make an effort to keep on top of reading (and contributing if I'm able) the forum.

Best wishes all

Paul.

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:27 AM   #1846
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2344

Are Photobucket getting worried?

From an email sent to me from Photobucket titled "Are you worried about your account?"

Don't be! All of our Plus Members are grandfathered in for 3rd Party Hosting until the end of your current subscription.

However, if you want to beat the crowds and upgrade to the Plus 500 now, we'll give you six months on us!

Worried about cost? Rest assured, the price will be prorated depending on your subscription!

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:57 PM   #1847
blueocto

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylett 67 View Post
My old laptop seems to be wearing out, it won't let me access Facebook any more and is slow to download websites with images and advertising, and I'm wondering if a chromebook would be better than a Windows 10 laptop. I did hear chromebooks don't need anti virus, can fire up as soon as you switch them on and are about £ 100 cheaper than a laptop. Since I don't use excel and word, there's no need for me to have Windows 10.
Chromebooks are a glorified browser. You can't install any software on it, really only any good for going online for websites, etc.
blueocto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:43 AM   #1848
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylett 67 View Post
My old laptop seems to be wearing out, it won't let me access Facebook any more and is slow to download websites with images and advertising, and I'm wondering if a chromebook would be better than a Windows 10 laptop. I did hear chromebooks don't need anti virus, can fire up as soon as you switch them on and are about £ 100 cheaper than a laptop. Since I don't use excel and word, there's no need for me to have Windows 10.
People who know me know I tend to recommend a Mac, I'm not going to do that though, clearly you don't need one. If all you are doing is web browsing then a tablet like an iPad (as mentioned) is the best option for you. If you host pictures etc then I would say a laptop is easier to link them to websites, though for SSC I think the app has a simple way of doing it.

Also to each what's been mentioned, a Chromebook is basically just an internet browser and it can't handle extra workloads (don't think Chromebooks even have the capability), they are what was once known as notebooks, basically a very small laptop that can only do web browsing and would crash if it was requested to do much more. I personally wouldn't recommend one, tablet have more capability and usually for the same or even less money, not only that but as they are created by Google, you get to have all your activity tracked by Google.

All in all, I think an iPad would be ideal, and gives you the flexibility of downloading apps that can do things other than web browsing. You can even get detachable keyboards for them now, if having a physical keyboard is important.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:56 PM   #1849
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueocto View Post
Chromebooks are a glorified browser. You can't install any software on it, really only any good for going online for websites, etc.
Depends on what you use it for. As you say they are glorified browsers but... they are quick at what they do and pretty much virus free.

If all you do is browse and perhaps do basic letters etc then googledocs is actually pretty good. I spend much too much time travelling and thought of one for that. For me it was just a bit too fiddly to switch between operating systems.

However you can regularly see chromebooks on gumtree and ebay for about 50 quid which is almost 'disposable' money and probably worth the punt.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #1850
alf stone

Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Really good to read that you are prepared to replace the now non hot linked Photobucket images, given the number posted it will take some time but will be good to restore the history that you have uploaded.

I know one other member who is in your position and they too are carrying out the replacement exercise.
I would like to say that I have restored all of the photographs sabotaged by Photobucket but I am sure I will have missed some. If anybody spots any I have not restored please let me know. It was hard work but I was determined I would not be held to ransom by Photobucket. Now it just remains for me to tell Photobucket what I think of their business ethics or rather lack of same. Had they informed in advance of deleting my photographs I might have responded differently but I am now being bombarded with warnings that they are about to do so. All I can say is a bit bloody late Photobucket.

Newcastle Historian liked this post
alf stone está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #1851
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 556

I've been away for nearly a month due to internet issues and for some reason, the site wouldn't recognise my password( now resolved). It's odd my old laptop, which was finding accessing sites like Trip Advisor and Facebook really difficult, seems to have righted itself and accesses these sites without any problems. Yet I am hoping to get a new one soon.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #1852
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Here in September 2017 our Forum reached the posts total of "A Quarter of a Million Posts".

A significant milestone for our SSC Sub-forum, The North East England Forum.

I missed the actual '250,000 day', but today (25th September 2017) here is the total . . .

This is an excellent achievement, considering how relatively late in the game we were set up as a forum on Skyscrapercity, compared to the other major UK locations. Skyscrapercity was set up in 2001, and many of the sub-forums were set up in the years immediately following that. We were not set up until 14th October 2009 so we had a considerable posts-deficit in 2009, compared to most of the other UK sub-forums.

Currently, there are now only four UK Sub-forums with larger post totals:

Manchester Forum 471,00,
Birmingham Forum 398,000,
London Forum 375,000, and
Liverpool Forum 371,000.

You can see all of these totals (and others) by clicking on the "Projects and Construction link", at the top of this page. Here is an extract, showing the details for our Sub-forum made up of the FIVE 'individual forums' within it . . .

Statistics such as these (‘post numbers’) are not the be-all-and-end-all (I know) it is really the quality of the posts that is the most important, and THAT we certainly do also have. However, just for today, it is 'post numbers' that this latest of our forum milestones is all about.

Well done all of us . . .

Steve Ellwood, AlexRowan, GBDT liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #1853
AlexRowan

Likes (Received): 28

I thought he should be mentioned too.. Steve Ellwoods with 35k posts sometime over the weekend

Newcastle Historian, GBDT liked this post
AlexRowan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #1854
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

14th October 2017 is our 8th Anniversary as a SKYSCRAPERCITY SUB-FORUM . . .

(14th October 2009. to .14th October 2017)

HAPPY EIGHTH ANNIVERSARY TO THE "NORTH EAST ENGLAND SUB-FORUM OF SKYSCRAPER CITY" AND TO ALL MEMBERS OF OUR FORUM - ALL THOSE WHO WERE WITH US IN 2009 AND ALL THE MANY WHO HAVE JOINED US SINCE THEN

Looking back to eight years ago, it was on 14th October 2009 that I remember Chris opening our brand new and 'hard fought for' forum, with . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
14th October 2009.

This is just to say Welcome, and Thankyou. To all of us who have worked hard for this, those who have supported those who have worked hard for this, thankyou, and to those who will transfer here from the Newcastle/Gateshead, Sunderland, Teesside and Hull single-threads, welcome. And of course to those who will be new in the future, we also welcome you.

So now we arrive at 14th October 2017 and our 8th Anniversary as an independent forum.

The quantity and sheer quality of many of the contributions made by the membership of this forum often astounds me. As I have said many times (and nothing has changed) so often I open the forum in the morning and just 'sit back' and take it all in. The knowledge that is shared, the photos of new projects that have been taken and posted, the questions asked and answered. The whole thing is just a pleasure to be part of and I can only see this place continuing as it is or even getting better in the future.

On this auspicious occasion of our 8th Anniversary, the Moderating Team of myself and newcastlepubs would like to take the opportunity to wish the VERY best to all of our Forum Members throughout the five internal forums as well as to those of us who regularly post on the (now) very successful "Communal Area", which is located immediately below the links to the five internal forums. It is you, the members, who on a daily basis make the entire North East England Sub-forum a very special place indeed.

A special mention should also be made about our Cumbria members, who have found a home here on the North East England Sub-forum, in increasing numbers of late. The Cumbria posts have really enlivened the Communal Area of our Sub-forum.

SO FINALLY . . .

Here’s to the NEXT eight years, and to the eight after that, and ever onward !!!

NH.

GBDT liked this post
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
admin, forum changes, ideas, moderation, moderator messages, newcastle, north east england, suggestions, thread title changes