search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #8521
Moobat

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Mrs NP and I clocked this earlier today.

I m a huge fan of Rehill and have very occasionally had a late 'un with some of the team in Lady Greys [on the basis that I recognise them as staff from a shop I like and they know us as 'punters']. They have a great back story too.

However I suspect there might be some opposition to this. Hard to make this work with no risk of precedent.. but they might tempt me for a swift 'un.
Smaller and a much newer outlet than Rehill's, but Champion Bottles and Taps in Heaton also have a similar licensing variation application in place. Both have the potential for opposition along similar lines from residents.

Champion Bottles one here:

https://publicaccessapplications.new...=OU232TBS0IG00
Moobat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #8522
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3589

Fox and Hounds, West Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicolor View Post
My old man used to take me in the Fox & Hounds on the West Road from about age 14 (Glass of Lemonade of course) in the early 70s.

It was a classic four room Pub and one of the rooms was called the "Gents Buffet", a half way house between the Saloon Bar (where the ruffians went) and the Lounge Bar (where respectable folk took their good lady wife).

It was here where I learnt to pay dominoes and the joys of the closing time swill (How Man! A Pint of Scotch and an Alnwick Rum, when you're ready...).
Now a Flaming Grill Bar, these photographs taken back on 19th May 2015.

Brian Bennison in his book Lost Weekends A History of Newcastle's Public Houses Volume Three The West makes the following observations about the pub.

Originates from at least the 19th century, for many years owned by the Ord, then Blackett-Ord families. The characteristics of a sleepy village inn. Much rebuilt and changed since it original build. Alexander Deuchar bought the pub for £26,777 in 1931. Three of its bars have been called The Den, The Lpft and The Covert Lounge.

This is the location of the pub courtesy of Google Earth:

Images hosted on https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-...57687204492326

These photographs courtesy of the Newcastle City Libraries Flickr Photostream @ https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...20and%20hounds

Newcastle Libraries
050021:Fox and Hounds West Road Unknown c.1905

Type : Photograph Medium : Print-black-and-white Description : The photograph shows the Fox and Hounds pub on the West Road c.1905. The photograph has been taken from the middle of the road looking diagonally back at the pub. A man is leaning against the pub wall.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4082704468/sizes/o/

Newcastle Libraries
008788:Old Fox and Hounds West Road Unknown c.1905

Type : Photograph Medium : Print-black-and-white Description : The photograph shows of Fox and Hounds pub on the West Road. A low stone wall runs in front of the pub. In the foreground is a young girl with her bicycle behind her a man crosses the road towards the pub. There is a gas street lamp in the distance and a telegraph pole.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4075771329/sizes/o/

Newcastle Libraries
016970:Fox and Hounds, West Road, Newcastle, June 1967

Type : Photograph Medium : Print-black-and-white Description : The photograph shows the Fox and Hounds

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4077952387/sizes/o/

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #8523
delicolor
Ian Grey- Geordie Exile

Likes (Received): 14

I remember that sticky out sign from my youth. There was a tram power box close by as well.
delicolor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #8524
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicolor View Post
I remember that sticky out sign from my youth. There was a tram power box close by as well.
The street light was based on a trolley bus pylon, the trolley buses being withdrawn a year before the photo was taken.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #8525
Frank Black

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylett 67 View Post
Nothing annoys me more in modern pubs than big televisions blasting out sport( mostly football). It means now in many places where once you could have a quiet Sunday lunchtime drink it's now impossible due to some football game and a group of men shouting at the television. This pub in Gosforth proves that you don't need football to get people into a pub, and sometimes it can be a selling point. ( I do know of a pub in Richmond which proudly boasted it was a world cup free zone and said its business did very well among non fans).
On top of that, there's the pub that has several TVs showing a football game that people are watching. Game finishes and the TVs are left on - and no-one is watching and the music is turned up so you get the worst of both worlds. I'm thinking Hotspur here, but I'm sure there are many other culprits. Can't remember the pub (may have been The Duke pre-Simon) where the two bar staff were watching some ghastly Saturday evening rubbish but no-one else was. We left.
Frank Black no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #8526
Steve Ellwood

Pele Tower brewery plan’s ale and hearty

From today's Hexham Courant @ http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news...f873647ca18-ds
Pele Tower brewery plan’s ale and hearty
9 August 2017

CORBRIDGE’S historic Pele Tower is set to become a local pub after its new managers announced plans to install a microbrewery in the 14th-century monument.

Originally used to protect the town from Border Reivers during the 14th and 15th centuries, the tower was converted into an events venue last year by Shaun and Jane Cutler, who bought it from the Duke of Northumberland. Now the pair have decided to lease the venue to pub-trade veterans Darren and Paula Williams, from Cumbria, who are planning to install a microbrewery on the ground floor to brew their own Pele Ale. The tower will continue to host events such as Champagne and wine-tasting nights but will also be open seven days a week as a pub.

Shaun, who brought the building into the 21st-century by installing running water, electricity and wifi, said: “Because it’s been run as an events venue it means the doors aren’t open all the time. It’s only open when somebody hires it. We have been looking around for the next stage of its development and decided to put it on the market for rent.” Jane added: “When we met Paula and Darren we knew instantly their vision for the place was like ours, to breathe new life into it and open it to the community.”

Darren and Paula, who live near Whitehaven, will be relocating to Tynedale. With 27 years in the pub and restaurant industry behind them - having run the Brown Cow in Cockermouth and The Waterfront in Whitehaven, to name just a few - they have plenty of experience in the business. Yet the journey into brewing will be a first for the pair, who have called on the expertise of Allendale Brewery to get them started. “We’ll be installing our own brewing equipment here on the ground floor,” said Darren. But because we’ve got limited space, Allendale Brewery will be brewing some for us, so we’ll have a Pele Ale from them and a Pele Ale Special made here.” The couple want the brews to sit between a pale and golden ale, with the Pele Ale Special coming in darker and stronger at about 4.5 per cent.

It is hoped that the new pub, which will also stock drinks from Hexhamshire, Wylam and High House Farm breweries as well as 30 gins and whiskies, will be launched within the next few weeks.

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/news...f873647ca18-ds

Cc Tyne Valley Area (Hexham, Corbridge, Prudhoe, etc) - Developments

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 10th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #8527
Trotter1987

Likes (Received): 2

Maiden Over

It appears the Maiden Over in Heworth is to have a much-needed refurbishment and to be re-named Friar's Goose.

http://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/20341
Trotter1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #8528
Steve Ellwood

Champion Bottles And Taps, 41A Warton Terrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobat View Post
Smaller and a much newer outlet than Rehill's, but Champion Bottles and Taps in Heaton also have a similar licensing variation application in place. Both have the potential for opposition along similar lines from residents.

Champion Bottles one here:

https://publicaccessapplications.new...=OU232TBS0IG00
Planning application also submitted as:

2017/1184/01/DET | Change of use of retail (Class A1) and garage premises to mixed use (Classes A1 and A4) and erection of 1.2m high fence behind boundary wall to front | Champion Bottles And Taps 41A Warton Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 5LS
Reference 2017/1184/01/DET
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Thu 06 Jul 2017
Application Validated Wed 09 Aug 2017
Address Champion Bottles And Taps 41A Warton Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 5LS
Proposal Change of use of retail (Class A1) and garage premises to mixed use (Classes A1 and A4) and erection of 1.2m high fence behind boundary wall to front
Status Registered
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=OSVRAWBS05100

Cc East End Area (Byker, Heaton, Walker) - Developments

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 11th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #8529
Steve Ellwood

Railway Hotel, Rothbury

Railway Hotel in Rothbury serves as a pub, hotel and tandoori restaurant (The Village Tandoori), photographed 17th July 2017.

Rothbury Railway Station stood nearby, the line was closed in 1963.

Image hosted on https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-...57685005998840

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 11th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #8530
Aylett 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
On top of that, there's the pub that has several TVs showing a football game that people are watching. Game finishes and the TVs are left on - and no-one is watching and the music is turned up so you get the worst of both worlds. I'm thinking Hotspur here, but I'm sure there are many other culprits. Can't remember the pub (may have been The Duke pre-Simon) where the two bar staff were watching some ghastly Saturday evening rubbish but no-one else was. We left.
It depends on the music the pub is playing. If it's some dance rubbish to follow the football, then no way will I stay, but if, like some pubs, they have a jukebox, then it's better as people can choose the music after the football finishes. ( I don't think anyone, even most football fans, can sit through pundits dissecting every second of a game for two hours).
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #8531
Steve Ellwood

Signage for the Launderette, Westgate Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
2017/0799/01/ADV | Display 1 x internally illuminated bus stop sign, 1 x internally illuminated hanging sign and 5 x non illuminated signs stitched into a canopy. | Vita Student 40-44 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne
Reference 2017/0799/01/ADV
Alternative Reference PP-06074680
Application Received Tue 16 May 2017
Application Validated Tue 06 Jun 2017
Address Vita Student 40-44 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Display 1 x internally illuminated bus stop sign, 1 x internally illuminated hanging sign and 5 x non illuminated signs stitched into a canopy.
Status Registered
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=OQ1LB1BSIJX00

Status Decided
Decision Grant
Decision Issued Date Fri 11 Aug 2017

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #8532
Steve Ellwood

Eddy Eats heads to The Rose Inn in Wallsend for his Sunday lunch this week

Quote:
The Rose Inn on Rosehill Bank, Wallsend has been closed for a while and I assume that the upper floors are being used as rented accommodation. Windows down stairs are boarded up and this is probably as a result of an arson attack in March 2014.

The SiteLines web site @ http://www.twsitelines.info/smr/9458 has this to say about the building:

An ornate terracotta two storey public house with nine bays to the ground floor and seven on first floor. Three entrance doors with three windows between each. Domed turrets at the two front corners. The "old" Rose Inn closed on 6th February 1913 and the license transferred to this "new" Rose Inn. The pub is said to be haunted. An ornate two-storey public house, with nine bays to the ground floor and seven upstairs. Three entrance doors set symmetrically, with three tall windows between each. Domes cap the front two corners of the pub. There was previously an “Old” Rose Inn; when it closed on 6th February 1913, the license transferred to the new building and hence the “New” Rose Inn can be dated after this. The Rose Inn is said to be haunted. It is a very ornate, landmark building that stands alone due to its location in the dene. Also, there is a lack of terracotta pubs in the region; Wallsend has two (this and The Duke of York).
(Sources:
North Tyneside Council, Draft Local List Nominations, 2006; North Tyneside Council, November 2008, Register of Buildings and Parks of Special Local Architectural and Historic Interest SDP (Local Development Document 9) )

These photographs taken 20th January 2015:

Images hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.com/Wallsend
Eddy Eats review of the Rose Inn - today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats...e-inn-13446064
Eddy Eats heads to The Rose Inn in Wallsend for his Sunday lunch this week
Eddy Eats 12 August 2017

The Rose Inn, Wallsend

I’d heard the Rose Inn, at the bottom of the green dip that connects Wallsend and Howdon, was at the informal end of the scale, so Mrs Eats and I headed along to try its Sunday carvery on a day when we were in the mood for a non-posh dining experience. We certainly weren’t the only ones; in fact the pub’s car park was full. Thankfully, there’s also a parking area just metres along the road at the end of Wallsend Dene.

The pub’s exterior gives a sense of faded Victorian grandeur, and this is followed through once you’re through the door. The walls are festooned with pictures of scenes from bygone centuries, and the place is full of ornate fixtures and fittings, including a black and golden fireplace below a mirror so big it wouldn’t look out of place at Cragside, and even a chandelier or two.

A chap we took to be the landlord asked if we’d booked a table – understandably so, as the place was doing a roaring trade, with quite a queue at the carvery counter. We hadn’t made a reservation, but he managed to accommodate us at a table that had been booked for 40 minutes or so earlier but was still vacant. We very much got the impression he doesn’t like to turn anyone away; a little later we even heard him offering to move his car so that an older couple could use the car park.

There’s no option for starters here; punters pay a mere £6.99 (£4.99 for a child’s plate) to be provided with meat, roast potatoes and a Yorkshire pudding before helping themselves to as much as they can fit on their plates in the way of vegetables and gravy. It’s cash only here, mind. I plumped for turkey and Mrs E for beef, the other choice being pork, and it was certainly a generous portion that was carved for us in both cases. “Is that enough?” the server asks, and I’d be amazed if anyone ever said no. The vegetables on offer were broccoli, turnip mash, cabbage, carrots and mashed potato – most certainly enough to make you satisfied you’re getting the full works.

Having got a half of lager (£1.50) and an orange juice (£1) from the bar, we tucked into our food to a soundtrack of 1960s hits, finding that, despite the buffet-style set-up, everything was piping hot. My turkey was chunky and very pleasing, and Mrs E’s beef was well done without being chewy – perfect. The roast potatoes were delicious and the Yorkshires nice and light. I couldn’t help noticing, however, that Mrs E’s was considerably larger than mine. Proof, I suppose that they are homemade. There was nothing particularly special about the vegetables, but they did their job just fine, and we both polished off everything on our plates.

There was nothing particularly special about the vegetables, but they did their job just fine, and we both polished off everything on our plates.

Rating: 16/20
Character: 4 stars
Quality: 3 stars
Service: 4 stars
Value: 5 stars

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats...e-inn-13446064

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Aylett 67 liked this post
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #8533
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 873

There seems to be a new bar opening on Queen Street - London bar and Kitchen, bit no sign of planning or a licence application....

queen st bar by newcastle pubs, on Flickr
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #8534
Andym

Likes (Received): 271

Looks good when I passed the other day. Terrible name.
Andym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #8535
Aylett 67

It's good to see pubs like The Rose Inn reopen, as there has been a hefty loss of suburban pubs on Tyneside in recent years, and offering a reasonably priced carvery is one way of getting customers in.
Old August 13th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #8536
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
Looks good when I passed the other day. Terrible name.
Name is shared with a pub 'kit' supplier. However the absence of a prem licence application is....interesting. I'm not sure if this needs planning too but that's Steve's department
Old August 13th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #8537
Steve Ellwood

5 Queen Street

Quote:
Name is shared with a pub 'kit' supplier. However the absence of a prem licence application is....interesting. I'm not sure if this needs planning too but that's Steve's department
Nothing on the planning portal as yet, I'm sure it was previously retail A1, so would expect to see an application in respect of change to A4

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 14th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #8538
Steve Ellwood

Popular Newcastle pub in £5.6m hotel, bar and restaurant makeover plan

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/busin...hotel-13474421
Popular Newcastle pub in £5.6m hotel, bar and restaurant makeover plan
By Coreena Ford 14 August 2017

The Three Mile Inn in Gosforth

Leisure leader Malhotra Group Plc has started work on a £5.6m project to transform a well known Newcastle pub into a 64-bed hotel, bar and restaurant.

The Newcastle hospitality, property and care group have started work on the 18-month project at Three Mile Inn, Gosforth, vowing it will be business as usual for customers during the three-phase scheme. The first phase involves the creation of a three-storey extension to provide additional accommodation for the hotel.

Further phases will include the conversion of the existing building from two to three storeys and the creation of conference, function and private dining facilities, a residents’ lounge, cafe, bar and restaurant.

Information boards at the site will display progress reports, a leaflet drop to Gosforth homes and businesses will keep residents abreast of the development and a specially created link on the company’s website will provide updates and answer queries.

Operations director Atul Malhotra said: “Of all our venues, it is particularly close to my heart as I spent my early childhood living in Gosforth. And not only will we be trading as normal throughout the rest of this year, but we are of course continuing to take bookings for Christmas and the New Year. Our aim is to create a hotel and leisure facility which will be a real credit to Gosforth and a genuine asset to the community, and we very much hope our customers will support us, both during the transition period and once it is complete.”

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/busin...hotel-13474421

Cc Kenton, Gosforth & Fawdon Area (in Newcastle) and Wideopen Area (in North Tyneside) - Developments

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #8539
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
There seems to be a new bar opening on Queen Street - London bar and Kitchen, bit no sign of planning or a licence application....

queen st bar by newcastle pubs, on Flickr
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing on the planning portal as yet, I'm sure it was previously retail A1, so would expect to see an application in respect of change to A4
Update. I am told that this is a showroom for a bar supplier [see reference to pub kit supplier] however... it sure looks like a bar to me. Having a 'dig'.
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #8540
Trotter1987

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Planning application also submitted as:

2017/1184/01/DET | Change of use of retail (Class A1) and garage premises to mixed use (Classes A1 and A4) and erection of 1.2m high fence behind boundary wall to front | Champion Bottles And Taps 41A Warton Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 5LS
Reference 2017/1184/01/DET
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Thu 06 Jul 2017
Application Validated Wed 09 Aug 2017
Address Champion Bottles And Taps 41A Warton Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE6 5LS
Proposal Change of use of retail (Class A1) and garage premises to mixed use (Classes A1 and A4) and erection of 1.2m high fence behind boundary wall to front
Status Registered
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=OSVRAWBS05100

Cc East End Area (Byker, Heaton, Walker) - Developments

Is this to be a micropub or just a shop alteration?
Trotter1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alcohol, beer, breweries, brewery, ciu, ciu clubs, club, clubs, newcastle, newcastle retail, nightclub, nightclubs, off licence, off license, pub, public house, public houses, pubs, retail, s & n, scottish & newcastle, social clubs, spirits, wine