search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #61
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Does anyone remember ITV's identical copy of TOTP, called . . "THE ROXY"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I remember CDUK which was on after SMTV live. SMTV live was the rival to Live and kicking, and CDUK was the rival to TOTP on a Saturday morning.
The programme I am talking about was (after MANY years of planning) ITVs 'night-time' RIVAL to BBCs 'Top of the Pops' programme. It was shown on a different evening to 'TOTP', and was of a fairly similar, almost identical (I thought) format.

Most importantly, it followed in the LONG LINE of big National 1980s 'live music' programmes ("Geordie Scene", "Razzamataz", "The Tube", etc) that were all made in and broadcast from fabulous downtown NEWCASTLE . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 24th, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #62
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Does anyone remember the Toyota Corolla advert from a few years ago with the surfer? I cant find in on youtube but he jumps up from the beach and onto the road right infront of St Georges Church in Cullercoats and Im sure he drives down Grey street too.
yes, the guy runs up the steps at tynemouth beach and in the next scene is sprinting down grey street. mental!
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #63
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

How can we forget the brilliant 80's kids show Supergran!?!?! Filmed mainly in Tynemouth, Whitley Bay and South Shields but also in the city centre and Beamish too.

Without cheating can anyone remember who sang the brilliant theme tune!?!?

hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #64
nadj

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Without cheating can anyone remember who sang the brilliant theme tune!?!?
Was it Billy Connelly? Seems to ring a bell...
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #65
hollow man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadj View Post
Was it Billy Connelly? Seems to ring a bell...
Yep!, It was Billy Connolly!
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #66
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 630

While I was in Mexico, one night I was tired, so lay in my room and watched tv.

Anyway, I was watching a programme about demolition on the discovery channel, and I heard in an American voice over in Newcastle. Anyway I look up and this programme was about the demolition of the brewery on the sight of science city which came down last year. So just a heads up for the future, to keep an eye out for it.

Anyway, on the mentioning for Billy Connolly, I remember he did a tour of the UK, only did a few cities, and he did programmes for each of them that he visited a few years back. Newcastle was one of them, and it from a time when we had the millenium bridge, but the sage had not yet been built. He also visited other places like Ashington, and told variouse stories, including the more popular version of how Geordies got there name as Geordies.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #67
hollow man

Quote:
While I was in Mexico, one night I was tired, so lay in my room and watched tv.

Anyway, I was watching a programme about demolition on the discovery channel, and I heard in an American voice over in Newcastle. Anyway I look up and this programme was about the demolition of the brewery on the sight of science city which came down last year. So just a heads up for the future, to keep an eye out for it.

Anyway, on the mentioning for Billy Connolly, I remember he did a tour of the UK, only did a few cities, and he did programmes for each of them that he visited a few years back. Newcastle was one of them, and it from a time when we had the millenium bridge, but the sage had not yet been built. He also visited other places like Ashington, and told variouse stories, including the more popular version of how Geordies got there name as Geordies.

Thanks for the heads up for the Brewery programme. Who made it do you know?

Re, Billy Connolly, yeah the programme was his tour of England Ireland and Wales iirc. I remember it well, he went up the Tyne bridge towers, went to the Angel of The North amongst other things. He said he loves Newcastle.
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #68
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Megastructures: Mega Demolitions, or somewhere along the lines of that I think.

Not quite sure, it actually said the title in spanish, though I did watch the English speaking version, the Spanish speaking version was on the next channel.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #69
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
The programme I am talking about was (after MANY years of planning) ITVs 'night-time' RIVAL to BBCs 'Top of the Pops' programme. It was shown on a different evening to 'TOTP', and was of a fairly similar, almost identical (I thought) format.

Most importantly, it followed in the LONG LINE of big National 1980s 'live music' programmes ("Geordie Scene", "Razzamataz", "The Tube", etc) that were all made in and broadcast from fabulous downtown NEWCASTLE . . .

C'mon guys . . Does no-one remember "The Roxy?"

Even if you weren't old enough at the time, or even 'around' at the time!? Those into music amongst you, I'm sure you know just how BIG Newcastle was for many years, on the 'National Live TV' Music Scene? All credit to a few gooduns at Tyne Tees TV, for all that . . .

If it wasn't made in Newcastle, it wasn't worth watching!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 26th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #70
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Anyone seen the Red Driving School advert? Both Chillingham Road and the Coast Road are easily seen.
I saw filming of a Red ad on Waterloo Street earlier in the year. Did it make the cut?
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #71
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
I saw filming of a Red ad on Waterloo Street earlier in the year. Did it make the cut?
It doesn't appear to be, unless I missed something.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #72
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

North at forefront of local news revolution
Nov 27 2009 The Journal

GOVERNMENT culture chiefs have selected the North East and Cumbria to pilot a scheme which could be the future of regional broadcasting. Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw has given the go ahead for the Tyne Tees and Border area to provide a news service which will concentrate on more local stories and act as a counter balance against the BBC becoming the only main source of regional news.

One of those bidding to run the service will be The Journal’s parent company ncjMedia, which also publishes the Evening Chronicle and Sunday Sun, while the firm’s sister company Gazette Media Company publishes the Evening Gazette on Teesside. The bid has seen the ncjMedia team up with the Press Association (PA) and production company Ten Alps to submit a bid.

David Simms, managing director of ncjMedia, said: “We will now be working flat out with our partners to produce a compelling bid which focuses on a rich multi-layered service. “We are aiming to use the strengths of our consortium – localness, community roots, immediacy, excellence in news gathering and award-winning programme making to design a winning bid and produce a service the region will be proud of.”

With a steady decline in the sales of newspapers and the recent merging of localised news coverage on ITV1 into a single programme the Government fears that local communities could be left with only one voice. Until February, ITV1 broadcast two versions of its evening half hour news programme covering the North East – one version concentrating on Tyneside and the northern area while the other concentrated on Teesside and the southern half of the region. In addition, viewers in Cumbria and the Scottish Borders were served by their own half-hour nightly Lookaround programme.

Now ITV1 only broadcasts one regional programme which has to provide coverage from York in the south up to Dumfries and Galloway in Scotland, and also covering the Isle of Man.

Officials at the Department for Culture Media and Sport say that since then, various communities have suffered from a lack of depth and breadth of local coverage.

The trial will last two years and the successful bidder will be announced in March with the service up and running sometime later in 2010. The Independently Funded News Consortia (IFNCs) will also be expected to provide local news coverage on the internet. IFNCs are a recommendation of the recently published Digital Britain White Paper – which has explored how the public are changing their reading and viewing habits with the continued rise of the internet.

Mr Bradshaw said: “It is clear that people want high quality local news from more than one source. “The huge increase in viewers and readers seeking information about the terrible floods in Cumbria over the last week is a clear demonstration of that. “Its importance to local democracy, coupled with the challenge being faced by commercial news companies, means there is a need for Government support. “These pilot programmes are a key step to preserving the long-term future of regional news.”

Mr Bradshaw – who is a former journalist himself – went on to explain that the Tyne Tees and Borders area was selected because, geographically and demographically, it was regarded as a microcosm of the UK as a whole. He said: “As well as providing a good mix of urban and rural areas, holding a pilot that spans the Tyne Tees and Borders regions will improve the current provision of regional news in the Scottish Borders and English Borders by having a far more localised news service, which the audience wants. “The Scottish Borders could get a wholly Scottish regional news service and the English borders area could see a more local and regional news service.”

Last night ITN chief executive John Hardie said the news provider would also be bidding to run the new service. He said: “IFNCs provide an opportunity to re-invigorate local and regional newsgathering across broadcast, print and online and to ensure that there is an innovative and comprehensive alternative to the BBC. “We look forward to playing a key role in this bright new future for local news.”
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #73
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

TYNESIDE-BORN rock star Sting’s homecoming gig in the North East is set to be aired to audiences across the globe.

The former Police frontman premiered his new album last month in a spectacular concert at Durham Cathedral.

And now a recording of the music and light show will be broadcast on primetime American TV.

The news comes as a huge boost to Durham’s City for Culture bid and organisers are celebrating the opportunity to show off one of the jewels in the North East’s crown to the world.

Sting, who was born in Wallsend, performed alongside 35 classical and traditional musicians – including renowned Northumbrian piper Kathryn Tickell – for the concert.

It was the first time Sting’s new album of folk and traditional music, If On Winter’s Night, had been played live and was a strictly invitation-only affair.

Durham Cathedral’s dean and chapter specially agreed to allow the performances to be recorded.

Anne Heywood, chapter steward at Durham Cathedral, said: “We were absolutely delighted to welcome Sting to the Cathedral to record his quite spectacular concert and light show.

“We recognised that this was a wonderful opportunity to showcase Durham and the Cathedral to a worldwide television audience of hundreds of millions and we hope that it will persuade people to come and visit us in person in the future.”

The concert will tonight be screened to a massive American national network audience at 9pm (US time). Leading US broadcaster PBS is scheduling the show as families celebrate the country’s main public holiday – Thanksgiving Day.

And it will then be broadcast in another 14 countries over the coming months, including the UK on BBC1 over Christmas.

Durham tourism bosses have celebrated the screenings as a chance to show off Durham, its music scene, and the magnificent setting of the Cathedral to the world.

Melanie Sensicle, chief executive of Visit County Durham, said: “Sting’s concert shows that major international artists are keen to work in Durham and draw inspiration from our beautiful buildings and magical settings.

“As well as highlighting our capacity to stage major events, it raises the profile of Durham as a cultural centre and gives a tantalising glimpse of what we have to offer to a global audience of quite breathtaking proportions.”

Sting had specifically asked to play at the cathedral and come back to his roots, and he and his entourage stayed in the city between the performances.

Speaking at the time, the Wallsend-born singer, real name is Gordon Sumner, told The Journal: “When I sing in the North East I have no mystique. People know where I’ve come from. To them I’m just Gordon from Wallsend.

“My brother and sister still live here. My brother delivers the milk like my dad did and my sister runs Newcastle airport.”

If On Winter’s Night saw him collaborating with renowned producer Robert Sadin, and several guest musicians including his long-time guitarist Dominic Miller.

It follows his critically-acclaimed 2006 album Songs from the Labyrinth which was inspired by the lute songs of English composer John Dowland.

A DVD of the concert is also being released on Deutsche Grammophon, featuring additional performances and behind-the-scenes footage documenting the concert.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM   #74
hollow man

I was down on Whitley Bay sea front today and there were loads of BBC Bristol wagons, busses, trailers etc. Any ideas on what they were filming?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:21 AM   #75
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
How can we forget the brilliant 80's kids show Supergran!?!?! Filmed mainly in Tynemouth, Whitley Bay and South Shields but also in the city centre and Beamish too.
You know the supergran bike is in Land of Green Ginger in Tynemouth. Worth a look if you are down there.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM   #76
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
I was down on Whitley Bay sea front today and there were loads of BBC Bristol wagons, busses, trailers etc. Any ideas on what they were filming?
BBC Bristol is the nature arm. They make all the Attenborough stuff. Could be something like Coast?
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:39 AM   #77
hollow man

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
BBC Bristol is the nature arm. They make all the Attenborough stuff. Could be something like Coast?
Good shout!, maybe!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:40 AM   #78
hollow man

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
You know the supergran bike is in Land of Green Ginger in Tynemouth. Worth a look if you are down there.
Yeah Ive seen it. I also recall that cave at Cullercoats being Supergrans Cave or something!?!?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:50 AM   #79
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

HIGHWAY, with Harry Secombe.
I had forgotten about this one (have just come across this cutting). Another show that was made/produced by Tyne Tees TV for a number of years, and very often filmed around here. It was part of the old "religious programming" hours, on Sunday afternoons . . .

Notice, this programme is being featured as part of the ever so slightly "self-depracating" Newcastle City advertising campaign of the early 1980s . . "Newcastle . . An Unexpected Pleasure"

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; December 2nd, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #80
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Tags
1 of 2 newc media threads, england, film, films, media, movies, newcastle, newcastle media, newcastle upon tyne, newspaper, north east, north east media, print media, radio, television, theatre, theatres, united kingdom, video, youtube