search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #101
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

I was reading in the Chronicle that apparently the BBC Sports personality of the year 2011 or 2012 will be held on Tyneside at either the sage or SJP.
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #102
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
I was reading in the Chronicle that apparently the BBC Sports personality of the year 2011 or 2012 will be held on Tyneside at either the sage or SJP.
I noticed it was held outside London last year (for a particular reason, can't remember why) and I know the BBC got SO MANY letters telling them how amazing it was to see them outside London!!!

So, it is in Sheffield (I think?) this year, so perhaps, after ALL THESE LONG YEARS, they have decided (at least for this one thing) to become a bit less exclusively London-based.

After all the years of their existence, it is "precious little" . . this sort of thing should have happened with all sorts of programmes, routinely, for the last 60 years or so (so I do not get TOO excited at them "offering us" the programmes WE have always paid for, at this late, late, stage) but it is very very nice to see (eventually and probably only ONCE!) all the same!

Found the Chronicle article, below . . .

Bid to bring BBC Sports Personality show to Tyneside
Dec 9 2009 by Adrian Pearson, Evening Chronicle

EFFORTS are on to bring the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards to Tyneside. Venues on either side of the river could be chosen to host the ceremony in either 2011 or 2012. Cameras could be filming at the Sage Gateshead or St James’ Park as the stars of football, athletics and motorsport head to the annual event.

BBC bosses decided in 2005 they would move the event out of the capital, with Birmingham, Liverpool and this week Sheffield all benefiting from the decision. The flagship sporting event, first broadcast in 1954, will likely be broadcast live from the chosen venue. Andrew Dixon, chief executive at the Newcastle Gateshead Initiative, said the move would fit in well with Tyneside’s proud sporting history. He added: “Newcastle Gateshead Initiative is always looking for events that would add value to the promotion of the twin cities. “We have a great reputation for sport and would love to see the BBC bring an event of this quality to the region.

“We will be taking a look with our partners at the event in Sheffield to see whether we can mount a bid to host it here in 2011 or 2012.”

Sporting stars from across Tyneside have previously been honoured with the award. Sir Bobby Robson was recognised with a lifetime achievement award in 2007. Before that Newcastle triple jumper Jonathan Edwards won the Sports Personality of the Year award. He followed in the footsteps of Hebburn-born Brendan Foster, who now organises the Great North Run.

The bid move will form a key part of efforts by staff at the Newcastle Gateshead Initiative to bring mayor events to the region.

Staff at the tourism group set up by the two councils have been tasked with promoting Tyneside across the world. They have led efforts to bring World Cup football to Newcastle and organised Summer and Christmas festivals. But they have also had some mayor set backs, including a failed bid to open a one-bedroom “hotel” at the top of Grey’s Monument.

Councillor John Shipley, leader of Newcastle City Council, said: “There are few parts of the country who can match the North East when it comes to public passion for sport, the richness of our sporting heritage and recent successes in, and indeed on, a wide variety of fields. “I think Sports Personality of the Year coming from Tyneside would be a very fine way of showcasing it all.”

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; December 10th, 2009 at 01:31 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #103
hollow man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
It was outside London last year (for a particular reason, can't remember why) and the BBC got SO MANY letters telling them how amazing it was to see them outside London!!!

So, it is in Liverpool (I think?) this year, so perhaps, after ALL THESE LONG YEARS, they have decided (at least for this one thing) to become a bit less exclusively London-based.

After all the years of their existence, it is "precious little" . . but very very nice to see!
Yeah, apparently it has already been in manchester, birmingham and sheffield.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #104
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Yeah, apparently it has already been in manchester, birmingham and sheffield.
Hi hollow, I have now slightly updated my earlier post . . my own comments, plus a copy of the Chronicle article.
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #105
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

Getting Sports Personality would be a huge coup for the area, so far its been to Birmingham, Liverpool and now Sheffield. I'd speculate they'll want to take it to Scotland/Wales first but Newcastle has to be a shoe-in for hosting it in the next few years.

However, would the Sage really be a suitable venue for this? These events have been attracting crowds of 10,000+ when they've went round the country but the Sage can only hold a couple of thousand can't it?

I'd have thought that the Arena would be a far more suitable venue as that's the type of place where they've staged it over the past few years.
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #106
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Probably the Arena, though it is not in very impressive 'surroundings' is it!

There is mention of SJP.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; December 10th, 2009 at 03:37 AM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #107
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

More on . . .
GET CARTER

Just found this FANTASTIC Website here - http://www.getcartertour.pwp.blueyon...arter/home.htm

Thanks for the LINK, North Star!

(NB - I have now added this LINK to Section 6 and 7 of the WEBSITES thread)

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 4th, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #108
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Also found this one!

Old December 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #109
hollow man

Did anyone see 'Wild Swimming with Robson Green' last week on ITV? It had some absolutely gorgeous aerial shots of the Quayside. Probably the best ive ever seen.

The stupid bastard tried to swim the Tyne but he had to be rescued after 200 metres because it was so cold!!!

Also, one for the 'City Boundary' thread, he was swimming at Seaton Sluice beach and they listed it as being in Newcastle.

Last edited by hollow man; December 16th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #110
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

Quote:
Did anyone see 'Wild Swimming with Robson Green' last week on ITV? It had some absolutely gorgeous aerial shots of the Quayside. Probably the best ive ever seen.

The stupid bastard tried to swim the Tyne but he had to be rescued after 200 metres because it was so cold!!!

Also, one for the 'City Boundary' thread, he was swimming at Seaton Sluice beach and they listed it as being in Newcastle.
damnit! I missed it. wonder if it is online anywhere.

As for seaton sluice, maybe someone at ITV has been reading our city boundary thread.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #111
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
damnit! I missed it. wonder if it is online anywhere.

As for seaton sluice, maybe someone at ITV has been reading our city boundary thread.
Its on ITV Player - this is the link for it

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=111998
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #112
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Just been watching it and you are spot on - the aerial shot of the quayside was brilliant
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #113
hollow man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Just been watching it and you are spot on - the aerial shot of the quayside was brilliant
Yep, the colours were fantastic. The blue metro bridge really sets the scene off perfectly if you ask me!
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #114
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
Its on ITV Player - this is the link for it

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=111998
thanks mate. some excellent views in there.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #115
Elswick

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:

Isn't this the programme that was being filmed this summer at the old La Sagesse Girls Convent School that is now owned by Freddy Shepherd?

When I was a young lad I lived around the corner from there . . . what can I say!!!
Yes it is.

I work in this industry as a location manager. The latest Coastal Productions film has also been filmed predominantly there.

I have just finished a project called 'Vera', which used Northumberland coast locations. In the new year I will be working on a show called 'George Gently' which although set in Northumberland has previously been filmed in Ireland. This year it is being filmed in Northumberland and Durham.

One show that has not been mentioned is 'The Revenge Files of Alistair Fury' which was done mostly in the former Tyne Tees, Montagu Avenue and Goathland Primary School in 2007.
Elswick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #116
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswick View Post
Yes it is.

I work in this industry as a location manager. The latest Coastal Productions film has also been filmed predominantly there.

I have just finished a project called 'Vera', which used Northumberland coast locations. In the new year I will be working on a show called 'George Gently' which although set in Northumberland has previously been filmed in Ireland. This year it is being filmed in Northumberland and Durham.

One show that has not been mentioned is 'The Revenge Files of Alistair Fury' which was done mostly in the former Tyne Tees, Montagu Avenue and Goathland Primary School in 2007.

This must be an interesting thread for you then, Elswick?

I mentioned 'Vera' at Post 53 . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=53

That is also VERY GOOD news about George Gently, it was discussed earlier in the thread about how disappointing it was that it was set here but not filmed here!

Do you have any 'links' or anything on Alstair Fury?
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #117
Elswick

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
I mentioned 'Vera' at Post 53 . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=53

That is also VERY GOOD news about George Gently, it was discussed earlier in the thread about how disappointing it was that it was set here but not filmed here!

Do you have any 'links' or anything on Alstair Fury?
These titles were filmed in 'The Lane' which runs up from behind the blue shutters at the former Tyne Tees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axlk710Fhjs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/ar..._feature.shtml
Elswick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #118
Deebex

Likes (Received): 9

Thought you all might appreciate this YouTube video, done by a Newcastle based electronica musician called Cathode. It starts off pretty slow, but picks up after 1:20 (though to get the full effect, don't just jump to 1:20!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorAhtMS4Bo

(sorry - not sure how to embed YouTube vids)
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #119
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The Revenge Files of Alistair Fury

A children's TV series filmed entirely on Tyneside was named best drama at the 2008 Bafta Children's Awards.

The days of Byker Grove and PJ and Duncan may be over but now a new children's TV series filmed entirely on Tyneside is making a name for itself.

The Revenge Files of Alastair Fury, which first aired on CBBC in January, has won the 2008 EA British Academy Children's Award for best drama.

Alistair gets up to lots of mischief

It beat off stiff competition from The Sarah Jane Adventures, Summerhill and Young Dracula. The series, which is full of mischief, fun and gunge, is based on the books The War Diaries of Alistair Fury by Jamie Rix, who also wrote and produced the TV series.

It follows the antics of 11-year-old Alistair as he hatches up weird and wonderful ways to get revenge on his family, friends, and anyone else that deserves it.

From letting rats and stick insects into his mum's kitchen to putting a snake in his sister's bedroom, Alistair and his gang, The Revengers, are inventive in their mischief to say the least. Jamie Rix says that the inspiration for Alistair came from his own experience growing up. "I've got an elder sister who used to do appalling things to me when I was a boy and I've got a younger brother who I used to do appalling things to in return.

"I felt I had to say sorry to him so I wrote the book giving him the opportunity to come up with some appalling revenges on me. So Alistair is my little brother, I am the big pig of a brother called William and my sister is the big sister called Melanie."

Filming on Tyneside

You can see familiar places like this Metro bridge

Although the show is set in a fictional town it was filmed completely on Tyneside, at the old Tyne Tees studios and on location in places like Gosforth, Jesmond and Goathland Primary School in Longbenton.

Jamie says he loved working on Tyneside and that having everything so close together in comparison to facilities in London was a real benefit. "Everyone was such a close knit unit that we were able to engender this sense of family and I think it paid off. I think the show looks like the cast actually know each other because they were virtually living with each other [during filming].

"And the facilities in Newcastle were so fantastic, that I just couldn't find their like down south," Jamie adds.

Jonathan Mason, who plays Alistair, also told Mike Parr that he thought working in the North East was "really nice". Jonathan is 11 years old just like Alistair, but is he anything like him in real life?

"I never get up to as bad things as Alistair does in my home life," he says "but sometimes I'd quite like to!"
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM   #120
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Below, is an excellent clip of the Newcastle of years ago (plus views along to the mouth of the Tyne also) that was posted by funkydory today (23rd December 2009) in the "Historic Newcastle" thread.

I felt it was appropriate to THIS thread, also.

I think it is an excellent Pathe News clip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydory View Post
But you can travel back in time, and to this street ('Grey Street') too.

The British Pathe newsreel company has recently (2008) multi-updated their on-line archive. Here's the link to start with:-

www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8796

Scores of early (20th century) views of Newcastle positing the city as one of the 'grandeur greats' of British architectural history.

Easy way to index is to put 'Newcastle' in the home page search box; although there are the occasional inclusion of features on Newcastle-under-Lyme and Newcastle in Australia with just a simple enquiry.

Tags
1 of 2 newc media threads, england, film, films, media, movies, newcastle, newcastle media, newcastle upon tyne, newspaper, north east, north east media, print media, radio, television, theatre, theatres, united kingdom, video, youtube