daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #121
Elswick

Likes (Received): 11

I watched 'Payroll' for the first time in years this morning. Extremely good. Brilliant theme tune as well.
Elswick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #122
funkydory
OneWorld

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
More on . . .
GET CARTER

Just found this FANTASTIC Website here - http://www.getcartertour.pwp.blueyon...arter/home.htm

Thanks for the LINK, North Star!

(NB - I have now added this LINK to Section 6 and 7 of the WEBSITES thread)

Although your link is far more comprehensive NH, you might still wish to check out this one too, particularly since some of the scenes are from different frames and also because some of the newer "now" photos were taken at different incarnations of the various properties:

http://www.reelstreets.com/public/p_...ilm=get_carter.

It might be that the original contributor is the same person; or alternatively a rival nostalgia-snapper. Just imagine a 'Get Carter' turf-war between movie historians in the very same locations!

On that ReelStreets site, please check out 'The Likely Lads' file also.....

Don't let people take away your history. or they will take away your future.

(C)Funkydory

Cinema, theatre and transport memories. The world over.
funkydory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #123
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydory View Post
Although your link is far more comprehensive NH, you might still wish to check out this one too, particularly since some of the scenes are from different frames and also because some of the newer "now" photos were taken at different incarnations of the various properties:

http://www.reelstreets.com/public/p_...ilm=get_carter.

It might be that the original contributor is the same person; or alternatively a rival nostalgia-snapper. Just imagine a 'Get Carter' turf-war between movie historians in the very same locations!

On that ReelStreets site, please check out 'The Likely Lads' file also.....
Thanks funkydory . . I have added your new LINK to both 'Section 6' and 'Section 7' of the "WEBSITES" thread.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #124
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I remember nearly buying this, back in '83, but I never did!

Watch 'Home Newcastle' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnuQBYAZocM - (NB, only the single, not the above album)

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 6th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #125
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Not to everyones tastes I will admit but I piss myself whenever I watch these!!!

Old December 30th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #126
hollow man

More from Tyneside's own Silver Tounged Cavalier!:

Old January 6th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #127
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswick View Post
I work in this industry as a location manager. The latest Coastal Productions film has also been filmed predominantly there.

I have just finished a project called 'Vera', which used Northumberland coast locations. In the new year I will be working on a show called 'George Gently' which although set in Northumberland has previously been filmed in Ireland. This year it is being filmed in Northumberland and Durham.
Confirmation of the above, in 'The Journal' of 6th January 2010 . . .

Inspector George Gently to be filmed in North East
Jan 6 2010 by David Whetstone, The Journal

A popular crime drama set in the North East will finally be filmed in the region after the programme-makers received a cash incentive.

The previous three series of Inspector George Gently have been filmed in Ireland, standing in as a geographic “body double” for Durham, where the stories are largely set.

The switch to the North East came after independent film and television producer Company Pictures was awarded £150,000 from the new North East Content Fund, set up by Northern Film & Media and One North East.

Set in the 1960s, Inspector George Gently stars Martin Shaw as an old school detective trying to get to grips with modern policing.

The BBC One show also stars Lee Ingleby as Gently’s sidekick, Detective Sergeant John Bacchus.

The series, inspired by the novels of Alan Hunter, was written for TV by Jarrow-born Peter Flannery, writer of the landmark Our Friends in the North.

Producer Suzan Harrison said: “Company Pictures are delighted to be shooting the new series of Inspector George Gently feature-length films on location in Durham and the North East where the drama is actually set.

“To be able to film the series for the first time where it’s always been set brings a greater authenticity, scale and colour to the production.

“We feel very much that we are bringing Inspector George Gently home.”

Joe Maddison's War

Meanwhile, the makers of Joe Maddison’s War, starring Kevin Whately and Robson Green, have also received £60,000 from the Content Fund to help them shoot in the North East.

The one-off drama for ITV1 was written by Alan Plater who spent much of his youth on Tyneside.

It is set in 1939, at the outbreak of the Second World War. Joe (Whately) is a shipyard worker who joins the Home Guard with his friend Harry (Green) after his wife leaves him for a younger officer.

Jon Williams, director of production and finance at film-makers Mammoth Screen Ltd, said they were grateful for the help to bring the drama “home”.

He added: “We believe that the North East is a hugely exciting region. We have already successfully secured the directing services of award-winning North East director Patrick Collerton and we relish the opportunity of working with the talented and skilled regional crew.”

In total, five projects have benefited from a £550,000 cash injection from the North East Content Fund, launched last July.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 6th, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #128
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

From todays (6th Jan 2010) Evening Chronicle . . much the same story as in the previous post from this mornings Journal, but I thought I would still post this one, as I like the photos and it is also a series I really enjoyed.

The one thing missing, as I wrote in a post near the beginning of this thread, was that it was set here, but NOT filmed here.

Now, that has been rectified . .

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #129
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Woohoo, Jill Halfpenny! I know she's a fair bit older than me, but you have to admit, she's not a bad looking girl...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #130
hollow man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Woohoo, Jill Halfpenny! I know she's a fair bit older than me, but you have to admit, she's not a bad looking girl...
She's fantastic to be fair!
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #131
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Tyne Tees TV favourite Christine Langford dies
Jan 13 2010 by Kerry Wood, The Journal

SHE captivated a generation of TV viewers in a more innocent age of big bands. During the 1960s Chris Langford was a TV favourite in the North East performing on the Tyne Tees Television’s The One O’Clock Show.

She died on January 6 after suffering a heart attack. She was 70.

Her rise to fame was swift after a dare by friends to enter a talent contest catapulted Chris, then in her late teens, on to the screens of Tyneside families. In an interview in 1966 she told how she won the final of the talent show. She said: “I got £50 and a huge silver trophy as big as the World Cup.” In the audience was Tyne Tees Television’s Len Martin, who invited her to an audition in Newcastle.

Chris added: “It was just a lark really. Mum came with me and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.” Having been offered a five-year contract she turned away from studying law and her job as a solicitor’s secretary to pursue her promising singing career in the region. Chris moved away from her home in Manchester to live in the area before settling in Monkseaton, where she lived with her husband Jim Goldby, later a director at Tyne Tees, and their two children.

Susan Johnson, who lives in Monkseaton, was the family nanny and remained friends with Chris. She said: “My lasting memory of Chris will be her sense of fun. She was always ready for a party and would start singing and get things going. Chris lived in Monkseaton for 15 years and raised her family here and we remained friends all these years.”

“She was a well-known figure. Her voice matched the big bands she played with and during the sixties she worked alongside Morecambe and Wise and Mike and Bernie Winters. “In the early 70s she was the resident singer on the One O’Clock Show, which was a very popular lunch-time programme. This was an era when the clubs were full and she always had bookings.”

“She had a great voice and was at her best singing jazz with big bands.”

In 1973 Chris performed at a Save Our Newcastle rally in the city staged by Save Our City from Environmental Mess (SOC’EM). The music event was said to feature more than 100 performers and was organised by the campaign group SOC'EM, protesting at motorway building in the City Centre, and at further poor quality re-development around the city.

In the early 80s Chris and Jim divorced and she moved back to Saddleworth, near Manchester, and later married again.

Her funeral will be held in St Mary’s Church in the village of Greenfield near Manchester.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 30th, 2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image link
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #132
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I have done a little bit of research, and found that
Christine Langford was on the first ever day of TYNE TEES TELEVISION, on 15th January 1959 . . .

and here is Chris, laying on the piano, in a photo taken for the '100th Edition', of the Tyne Tees TV lunchtime programme, the "One O'Clock Show"

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 14th, 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #133
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Chronicle's bid shortlisted for TV news plan
A BID by the publishers of the Chronicle to take over regional television news has come a step closer.

The Chronicle’s parent company Trinity Mirror – which is part of a consortium with national news agency Press Association, TV production company Ten Alps and Cumbrian newspaper group CN – has made the shortlist to produce news for the North East.

Trinity Mirror North East publishes the Chronicle, along with sister papers The Journal, Sunday Sun and the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette.

The company’s managing director, David Simms, said: “We are delighted to be through to the second round.

“Now we will be working flat-out with our partners to produce a compelling bid.

“We are aiming to use the strengths of our consortium – localness, community roots, immediacy, excellence in news gathering and award-winning programme making – to produce a service the region will be proud of.”

An expert panel is selecting a preferred bidder for pilots taking place in Wales, Scotland and the Tyne Tees/Border region. It will invite the eight successful consortia to discuss the finer details.

Three bids in Wales, two bids in Scotland and three bids in the Tyne Tees/Borders region will now go through to the next stage of the process.

Richard Hooper, chairman of the independent selection panel, said: “Let me be clear about what we are looking for: quality news reporting with a mix of local and regional audiences in mind.

“Also genuine innovation, not just business as usual; strong multiplatform applications working together across the web, local newspapers, local radio and television where appropriate, utilising each different medium’s special characteristics.

“And finally, a revenue generation model that aspires to longer-term sustainability.”

The group would produce regional news broadcasts to rival the BBC and replace ITV’s news service, which currently makes a loss. A pilot scheme could begin as early as April.

It follows the publication of the Digital Britain White Paper in June.

As a result, the Government proposed the introduction of independently-funded news groups to produce regional TV news.

The Trinity Mirror bid is up against two other groups – one made up of ITN with Johnston Press, Newsquest, Metro Radio, University of Sunderland and ITV Tyne Tees and Borders news staff, and another from UTV.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-25600191/
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #134
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Hang on, we'd have one company controlling all sources of local news? They're hardly Fox News I'm sure, but surely that's not a healthy set up?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #135
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Hang on, we'd have one company controlling all sources of local news? They're hardly Fox News I'm sure, but surely that's not a healthy set up?
We'd still have BBC Newcastle though . . at least for now.

If Trinity Mirror (Chronicle/Journal/Sunday Sun people) win the ITV news franchise, where does that leave the 'remnants' of Tyne Tees TV that remain?

We discussed a while back on this tread, about the demise of Tyne Tees and the sale of their studios, etc, which only appeared to leave them with 'local news'.

http://www.transdiffusion.org/tmc/cityroad/history/

If they lose the news, what do they have left? I can't think of anything, because they do not make programmes any more!!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 14th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #136
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

there was a story in the Journal about how the screenwriter for the new Sherlock Holmes movie is from Whickham, and he's also writing screenplays for the three musketeers movie and a julius caesar biopic atm. Thinking about it, there's a lot of 'hollywood' types with links back to tyneside these days -

Ridley Scott
Tony Scott
Mike Figgis
Neil Marshall
Paul W. S. Anderson
John Irvin
Bharat Nahrulli
Lee Hall

who've all done big movie projects along with the likes of Alan Plater, La Franais & Peter Flannery doing tv work. quite a lot for our little conurbation.
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM   #137
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Boost for Journal in regional TV news battle
Jan 21 2010 The Journal

A BID by the owner of The Journal to transform one of the regions’ nightly news programmes has received a boost.

Three groups are currently vying to take control of the North’s television airwaves each evening and provide a news bulletin which will replace the current Tyne Tees programmes.

The Government has selected the North East as the only place in England to test out the viability of Independently Funded News Consortia (IFNC).

IFNCs will receive a Government subsidy to provide an alternative broadcasting voice to the regional BBC programmes. The move comes after ITV complained that the cost of providing regional news coverage is prohibitive.

One of the groups bidding for the franchise is led by Trinity Mirror - which owns The Journal publisher ncjMedia.

Trinity along with the Press Association, production Company Ten Alps and CN Group - which owns a number of local papers in Cumbria and Northumberland - has now brought on board Teesside University and Newcastle College to strengthen its bid.

Both education establishments have first class broadcast production facilities and expertise.

Jackie Fisher, chief executive of Newcastle College, said: “We are delighted to be involved in this bid.

“This is an innovative partnership which will be of immense value to the region.

“It offers our students and staff a unique opportunity to contribute to the provision of local and regional news.”

David Simms, ncjMedia Managing Director said: “Teesside University and Newcastle College bring a fresh dimension to our bid.

“We have enjoyed close and very successful relationships with both these academic institutions in the past, so we know they have a hugely positive outlook, excellent facilities and a very talented and eager body of students who will contribute a great deal to the bid.”

Also in the running to take over the North East franchise is a group led by ITN along with Johnston Press and Metro Radio. A third bid has been launched by Ulster Television.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM   #138
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

I think the bid from UTV would be a very interesting one, they have a great track record of producing good quality local programming in Ireland. The ITN/Johnston's Press/Metro bid shouldn't even be considered given their piss poor record in actually providing a local service.
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM   #139
gregstone

Likes (Received): 25

personally I think it's a bit out of order for the Journal to keep bigging itself up on this story....
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM   #140
gregstone

Likes (Received): 25

TV trivia: the bloke in the tuxedo and bow tie next to Christine Langford is none other than "it is I, Leclerc!" from Allo Allo...
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 of 2 newc media threads, england, film, films, media, movies, newcastle, newcastle media, newcastle upon tyne, newspaper, north east, north east media, print media, radio, television, theatre, theatres, united kingdom, video, youtube