search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #41
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #42
JoeColl

Likes (Received): 6

There are signs up curently stating that work is due to begin on the new link road from mid-september.
JoeColl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #43
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Spanish City dome is finally looking a picture of health
September 7th 2010, by Sarah Scott, The Journal

THE restoration of an iconic dome in the North East has been caught on camera.

Rebecca Davis, 26, has spent over two years photographing the interior of the Spanish City dome in Whitley Bay.

The images taken by the former Whitley Bay High School student will be displayed on the first floor of the building as part of the Heritage Open Days and to celebrate the building’s centenary.

Rebecca said: “Being able to exhibit my work in the dome itself, having spent several years photographing the building, is a very exciting opportunity for me. I’m proud that this project has allowed me to be involved in Whitley Bay’s regeneration, which is something that I feel very passionate about as I grew up in the town.”

The 6ft by 4ft images will be suspended from the columns that trace the Dome’s circular shape. Rebecca aims to evoke memories by showing evidence of the building’s past grandeur.

The day after the opening Rebecca will celebrate another big day as she walks down the aisle to marry her fiance Gary, who she has been with for eight years.

“It has worked out really well because I would have been gutted if I had been on my honeymoon for the opening of the exhibition,” she said.

Rebecca attended Whitley Bay High School and Tynemouth College. She was awarded a BA Hons in Contemporary Photographic Practice from Northumbria University in 2006.

In 2007 she started a photographic residency at the dome, which was supported by the Arts Council and North Tyneside Council.

“I have taken thousands of pictures and have seen the dome evolving. I could only display one set of images so I have chosen very close up details of the things that were left behind.

“People remember the dome as a happy place and remember fun times. I want my work to be very positive,” she said.

North Tyneside Council will open the doors of the dome to the public for the first time in more than five years on Thursday.

In addition to Rebecca’s photography exhibition on the first floor, the ground floor will feature an exhibition of memories of the dome and Spanish City site that the council commissioned Whitley Bay-based creative design company Black Dog Design to produce.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27215250/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; September 7th, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #44
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Spanish City Dome opens after refurbishment
September 10th 2010, The Journal

FOND memories flooded back for scores of people as they stepped inside the iconic Spanish City Dome to celebrate its centenary.

The building in Whitley Bay, North Tyneside, opened to the public yesterday for the first time in five years. The structure has been under refurbishment. It was repainted and its ornate features were restored.

Yesterday people were able to see two exhibitions about the site’s history. They also took a walk along the revamped roof terrace and enjoyed panoramic views of the seafront.

Among the visitors was 89-year-old Ethel Duffey, of Monkseaton, who met her husband, George, at the Empress Ballroom. She said: “He was in the RAF, from Liverpool, and stationed here. He sang with Jos Atkinson’s band and the first song I heard him sing was Vera Lynn’s Yours. It was beautiful.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27239132/
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #45
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 132

I was there today to see the exhibition and I was well impressed. The exhibition told the story of the Spanish City amusement park from 1900 - pressnt day. I even got a chance to go up on the roof.

What I don't get is, what are the council going to do with the dome after the refit? Are they gutting out the ballroom too (we weren't allowed in that part and it looked like no work had been undertaken in there through the small windows).

I think it's agood idea to pedestrianise outside the dome and make it a promenant feature of Whitley Bay again. The only people that drive past the dome, do so as they go for a drive 'down the coast' Re-routing that drive will be a brilliant idea for the area. It wil make people stop/park/walk, but only if theres something there to view, currently theres nothing.

Are the 'windows' on the dome staying there permanent? or are they putting proper windows in?

I've got some pics from today from inside the dome, not many but they tel the story of the exhibition. I'll put them up tomorrow when I take them off my iphone.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #46
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Whitley Bay Dome to get piazza the action
September 17th 2010, by Sonia Sharma, Evening Chronicle

A 'PIAZZA' is set to be created at the front of a seaside landmark.

The scheme will be carried out at the Spanish City Dome, in Whitley Bay.

Preliminary work has already started on a new road to the back of the building to enable the creation of the piazza area.

The link road, which will cost around £1m and take around 30 weeks to complete, will replace the route that currently skirts around the seaward side of Spanish City.

The existing road will be pedestrianised as part of the site’s redevelopment, extending the seafront promenade area.

Mayor Linda Arkley said: “This new road is crucial to the redevelopment of the Spanish City site.

“It will enable us to connect the dome to the seafront, something that many people have told us they felt was important.

“The extended promenade will provide a safe and attractive piazza that would be able to host events, further enhancing what our coast has to offer.”

Planning permission for the new passage was granted in August. North Tyneside Council’s own highways operations team will be the principal contractor for the project.

The preliminary work, which includes setting up the construction site, started on Monday, with the main project due to start around two weeks later.

The new single carriageway will link Brook Gardens to the existing signal-controlled junction at Marine Avenue and The Links.

REST OF FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-27287735/
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #47
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

I managed to take these phto's today of them preparing for the new relocation of the road from infront of the Dome to behind it. Nothing much to look at, only really a couple of Porta cabins, a rubble pile, and some cones around some trees.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; September 20th, 2010 at 12:21 AM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #48
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Village to reveal its colourful history
September 23rd 2010, by Tony Henderson, The Journal

PEOPLE are to be put in the picture about a seaside village’s past as a leading artists’ colony.

Cullercoats in North Tyneside acted as a magnet for painters in the 19th and early 20th Centuries.

As well as North East artists, it attracted national and international painters such as the American Winslow Homer, William Orchardson, John Watson and Frank Holl.

Now, as part of a new and wider strategy to protect and make the most of North Tyneside’s heritage, the artistic pedigree of the village is to be highlighted for visitors and locals.

An interpretation panel featuring information on and paintings by Winslow Homer is being installed on the site of his Bank Top studio overlooking the bay.

Homer spent 18 months in Cullercoats from 1881, a period which marked a turning point in his artistic development and provided material to which he returned throughout his career.

In 1998, Microsoft’s Bill Gates paid $36m for a Homer painting and the artist’s work Inside The Bar, Cullercoats, 1883 hangs in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

Another panel on the opposite side of the bay will carry facts and paintings about other artists and the colony.

From the 1820s, Cullercoats began to attract artists like Thomas Miles Richardson, Henry Perlee Parker and John Wilson Carmichael, and the colony developed from the 1870s to the 1920s.

An arts trail leaflet guide around the village has been updated.

The 100th anniversary next Wednesday of the death of Homer will be marked by a day of activities at Bank Top.

This will include art workshops with local artist Kathryn Wakeman, a musical performance by Cullercoats Primary School and an art trail around Cullercoats Bay.

There will also be talk by Susan Johnson, from Monkseaton in Whitley Bay, about her grandmother Maggie Jefferson who was a model for Homer.

Between 10am and 4pm, Cullercoats Watch House will be open to the public, featuring a display about Homer and the colony.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz10L3DqaDc
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #49
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Seaside regeneration group runs out of cash
October 15th 2010, by Peter Leathley, The Journal

A GROUP that was set up a year ago to kickstart the economic regeneration of a Tyneside seaside town is being wound up because of a lack of funds.

The Whitley Bay Development Trust was launched to attract new business, bring disused buildings back to life and help create more jobs and apprenticeships.

But the group will be put into liquidation by its directors next week after running out of cash.

Bill Midgley, one of the directors, said: “Quite simply there is no money. When the group was launched, we received funds from charitable organisations and were able to develop our plans.

“Some of the directors also put their own money into the project to help keep it going. But now the cash has run out.”

In addition, the organisation was interested in being part of the Spanish City Dome regeneration but, without an income, it could not wait for the council’s decision on the building’s future use.

“We are very disappointed. There was a lot of backing for our work. More than 600 people showed their support. The current economic climate has meant few people are coming forward to help with funding,” he added.”

Read More - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-27476996/
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #50
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Shifting sands to show off fountain
October 21st 2010, by Tony Henderson, The Journal

HOPES were raised yesterday that a long-lost Victorian beach fountain on Tynemouth Beach, could be permanently uncovered and restored.

The Lion’s head fountain will be excavated for one day only on Saturday as a fund-raising tribute to lifeguard Will Hogg, who was chairman of Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade. He died last year after taking part in a four-mile charity swim from St Mary’s Lighthouse in Whitley Bay to Tynemouth lighthouse.

He had wanted to see the lion’s head fountain, hidden under tonnes of sand on Tynemouth Longsands, excavated and restored as a feature.

On Saturday family, friends and hundreds of helpers will reveal the 1862 fountain and raise funds for the Life Brigade, with which Mr Hogg volunteered for 25 years.

North Tyneside Council said that the fountain will then have to be covered up again to protect it. But a spokesman said yesterday: “We were made aware of aspirations to uncover the fountain at Tynemouth Longsands as part of a charity fundraising event.

“We have also been made aware of recent requests for the fountain to remain uncovered.

“At the moment, there are no plans or funds for this to happen. The challenge will be to establish the level of work that would be required for the restoration and ongoing maintenance of the fountain, and then look at ways of how funds could be raised.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz12yjqDTpP
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #51
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Further to the above story from last week . . .

Hope flows after Tynemouth fountain is rescued
October 25th 2010, The Journal

THOUSANDS of people poured on to a beach at the weekend to back a bid to excavate a Victorian fountain hidden beneath hundreds of tonnes of sand.

Organisers of the effort at Tynemouth Longsands claimed yesterday that the surge of support was evidence of the public desire to see the 1862 fountain permanently restored and on display as a coastal feature.

The lion’s head fountain is built over a mineral water spring which from the early 19th Century helped establish a Tynemouth health spa.

The weekend venture – which attracted an estimated 3,000 visitors – was held to raise funds for the Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade and doubled as a tribute to the late Will Hogg, who was chairman of the organisation.

Mr Hogg died last year after taking part in a charity swim, but for years his ambition was to see the fountain dug out of the sand, restored and put on show.

Family and friends joined to organise Saturday’s excavation, raising £3,000 for the life brigade.

Mr Hogg’s son, also called Will, who teaches at St Cuthbert’s High School in Newcastle, said: “The turnout was excellent. A lot of people helped with the digging and many came because they had never seen the fountain.

“My father would have been over the moon at the response and we hope that and the raising of the profile of the fountain will be enough to see it restored and maintained.”

Mr Hogg’s widow Susie said: “The number of people who came along was amazing and we hope all the interest sparks something off.

“A restored fountain would be a brilliant feature for the beach. Will tried for years for the fountain to be excavated. It was his pet project and ambition and he would have been proud of the response.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz13M2B0a79
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #52
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

From the 'BOOKS' thread, also relevant here . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
New book shows the history of the Whitley Bay Dome
October 26th 2010, by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle

This famous seaside landmark took just 82 days to build.

But the Spanish City Dome at Whitley Bay - opened a century ago - has established itself as a long-lasting object of affection for thousands of people.

More than 15,000 turned out over two weekends last month to tour the listed Dome, which is being restored.

Now a new book has been published to mark the Spanish City centenary.

Produced by Northern Voices Community Projects and backed by North Tyneside Council, it tells the story of the Spanish City site and the Dome, and includes poetry and memories of fans of the site.

Keith Armstrong is editor of the £5 book The Spanish City: the Heart and Soul of Whitley Bay.

He said: “People have fantastic memories of the Spanish City, which I would like to see put to use as some form of cultural centre.”

Glynis Barrie, council cabinet member for community services, said: “As a council we are very proud of our heritage and the Spanish City holds so many memories for local people and visitors.”

North Tyneside mayor Linda Arkley said: “Support for this book is part of our programme to mark the centenary of the Spanish City Dome. Our aspirations for the future are to continue to restore the Spanish City to where it can once more become the heart and soul of Whitley Bay.”

The Spanish City also appears in the background of a 1957 British Railways travel poster for Whitley Bay, which is expected to fetch between £600-£800 at a Christies auction in London next month.

Work began in 1909 on the Spanish City complex, with its 73ft high Dome, restaurant, roof garden and 1,400-seat Empress Theatre, which staged acts such as Miss Federica’s Performing terriers, the Lizelle Troupe of Lady Acrobats, comedians Claremont and Victor, comedy and burlesque boxing act Fame and Fortune, and the Blue Hungarian Band.

Attractions at the Spanish city funfair included the Social Whirl, Water Chute, Rainbow Pleasure Wheel, Joy Wheel, and Ye Olde Mill featuring a tunnel where boats floated past a Swiss valley, fairy castle, and an Indian jungle.

In 1920 the theatre became the Empress Ballroom which accommodated 900 dancers.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz13TgB5MDU
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #53
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Council set to approve Whitley Bay revamp
October 27th 2010, by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle

A NEW BUILDING, housing a variety of community services will help revitalise a town centre, it is claimed.

The three-storey joint services centre is planned for a weed-covered, derelict site in the middle of Whitley Bay.

North Tyneside councillors are being asked by planners to back the scheme for the site between Whitley Road and York Road, next to the Fire Station pub.

The building would include a library, tourist information centre, Nexus travel centre, a peoples network giving online access and bookable community space.

There would also be council customer and housing services, adult support services, Age Concern information and advice, a primary care trust counselling suite and police drop-in facility.

The site is within 100 metres of three bus stops and 300 metres from Whitley Bay Metro station.

Planners say that it is likely that people using the many services in the new building would also visit town centre shops, helping the regeneration of the area.

In its current condition the site does not contribute positively to the character and appearance of Whitley Bay, planners say.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz13ZbW2yIy
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #54
Stamford

Likes (Received): 683

I'm guessing it's this site

Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:35 AM   #55
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I was talking to a Conservative councillor today and they said that the libray and multiple use buildings behind the bedroom had been rejected by other parties on the grounds of not enough parking. They hope to appeal the decision.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #56
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Old November 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #57
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Yet another perfectly viable and beneficial project bites the dust due to local politics. When will these imbeciles realise they are in this position to improve their constituencies and not to impede the standing of their opposite numbers. Has any local town suffered from this appalling point-scoring exercise more than Whitley Bay?

Rejected due to 'Parking concerns' across the road from the towns only MSCP. Pathetic.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #58
upnorth

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Yet another perfectly viable and beneficial project bites the dust due to local politics. When will these imbeciles realise they are in this position to improve their constituencies and not to impede the standing of their opposite numbers. Has any local town suffered from this appalling point-scoring exercise more than Whitley Bay?

Rejected due to 'Parking concerns' across the road from the towns only MSCP. Pathetic.
Spot on.

Does anyone know if there's a list anywhere of previously rejected Whitley Bay redevelopment plans? There must have been half a dozen proposed library buildings in the last ten years.
upnorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #59
Turnbull2000

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post

Seems the decision was purely due to political bickering. Conservatives all voted in favour of the scheme, but Labour all against.

No surprise to see the Metro station continue it's decline either. They missed a golden opportunity with the proposed supermarket development, but the vocal nimbies (who continue to delude themselves that Tynemouth is some isolated, special village that must be preserved) managed to shoot it down on very dubious grounds.

There was still the alternative proposals (refurbish only) with the support of a government grant to fall back on, but oh no, good ol' North Tyneside Council managed to screw that one up too, with the grant already cut once and now possibly set to expire altogether as the morons in control continue to bicker instead of ACTUALLY F*CKING DOING SOMETHING.

I don't blame the council entirely though. Sometimes I believe the (established, older) residents of Whitley Bay & Tynemouth get the council they deserve.

(oh, and hi btw!)

Last edited by Turnbull2000; November 12th, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Turnbull2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #60
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

When I was talking to the councillor she was in a 100% opinion that they rejected it because of Conservative vs Labour politics. I also felt that it was a scheme she was passionate about and in full support and was truely dissapointed it din't get the go ahead.

Newcastle Metro Area

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, monkseaton, north shields, north tyneside, tynemouth, whitley bay