search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #121
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
No it won't, Sambucas pulled out. I'm leas to believe it's going to flats now, or as the builders there think it's going to be an extension to sainsbury's after they created a giant hole in the ceiling last week.
If its going to be flats then it'll have to have a pretty severe change of use put through, as its only ever had A1 and A3. Also, who the hell would want to live above a Sainsburys?

The source i spoke to were pretty adamant it was going to be a restaurant, and you can't just 'decide' its going to be flats, thats a pretty lengthy process.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #122
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
If its going to be flats then it'll have to have a pretty severe change of use put through, as its only ever had A1 and A3. Also, who the hell would want to live above a Sainsburys?

The source i spoke to were pretty adamant it was going to be a restaurant, and you can't just 'decide' its going to be flats, thats a pretty lengthy process.
I understand the change of use bits etc, but from what I have heard from the actual landlord is that it will become flats. Sambucca's were very much down the line and were basically one signature away before they opted out.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #123
BigLebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I understand the change of use bits etc, but from what I have heard from the actual landlord is that it will become flats. Sambucca's were very much down the line and were basically one signature away before they opted out.
Thats a shame, theres very little in the way of restaurants between Front Street and Whitley Bay town centre, a quality restaurant there wouldve made a killing.
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #124
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3587

Quote:
Thats a shame, theres very little in the way of restaurants between Front Street and Whitley Bay town centre, a quality restaurant there wouldve made a killing.
Wasn't there an Indian Restaurant in the Broadway Pub building for a short while?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #125
BigLebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Wasn't there an Indian Restaurant in the Broadway Pub building for a short while?
Probably, theyve tried their hand a couple of times to incorporate a restaurant into the pub, the last one was a half-hearted Spanish effort called something like 'Las Gambotes (at the New Broadway), it wasnt great and didnt last long. Sambucas are proven operators though, and would no doubt have made a much better go at it.
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #126
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 78

It's a unique road layout they seem to be creating down on the promenade at Whitley Bay.

I don't know why they don't just bite the bullet and go down the 'Stag and Hen' party town route. Its the only way the town will ever succeed
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #127
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbull2000 View Post
Yes.

Drifting OT, but has anyone else noticed there's an increasingly unsavoury element so the social scene on Front Street? It seems many who used to frequent Whitley Bay are now coming here, especially the foul mouthed women!
Noticed it getting quite popular. It was always a bit rough in Front St. We moved here when I was 11 in 1981. One Friday night we went out to Marshals for chips - saw my first ever street fight. A real big barney, police vans, ambulance the lot.

I am just surprised Tynemuth Village Society haven't kicked up a fuss about stuff like the long lines of cabs. This is a fairly recent thing.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #128
Steve Ellwood

Managed to get a hold of the leaflet that was handed out at The Dome Public Presentations - 2nd June 2011:

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #129
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
I see Beach Hut Resorts have a Planning Application in with North Tyneside Council for the installation of 6 "demountable" Beach Huts in King Edward Bay, Tynemouth - 11/00821/FUL @ http://publicaccess.northtyneside.go...rchtype=WEEKLY

From the Design & Access Statement by Kensington & Partners:

A similar application for Beach Huts at Cullercoats is also with NT Council under reference 11/00819/FUL - http://publicaccess.northtyneside.go...rchtype=WEEKLY

Amazing 'what goes around, comes around' - I can still remember when there were numerous beach huts on the North East Coast, all of which were demolished and done away with - now they are returning
I see this has been granted conditionally - http://edocs.northtyneside.gov.uk/WA...t=4&appid=1001

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #130
Posted Away

Likes (Received): 3

When I lived in Whitley Bay the Dome was always known as the Empress Ballroom. When and why did this change...?
Posted Away no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #131
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posted Away View Post
When I lived in Whitley Bay the Dome was always known as the Empress Ballroom. When and why did this change...?
I assume it lost its 'mantle' of the Empress Ballroom when it ceased to be a ballroom back in the 1970's. It became a 'Live Band' venue in 1979 but wasn't really a success an that enterprise closed down circa 2005 and its been empty ever since.

It was always just the Spanish City to me - whole things, Dome and Fun Fair

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #132
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

Those proposals or at least the idea of those proposals look fairly decent, it's a shame that they still want to incorporate a little bit of traffic in front of the dome though.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #133
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 131

I drove on that new road yesterday and seeing this thread made me think. I didn't even notice the dome was there.

This new area I feel will fall flat on it's face. There is nothing to entice me there, no shops, just a YMCA, wellbeing centre and some features, then whatever the dome is going to be used for.

NTC make me really angry about the way this has been handled, first off with the school then escalating from there.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #134
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Interesting little story . .

St Mary’s lighthouse cottage put up for sale
by Victoria Williams, The Journal, June 25th 2011

YOU can be cut off for eight hours a day and may have to shift ill-tempered seals from under the car - but it's still one of the most romantic and dramatic homes you could find.

Now homebuyers have a rare chance to own the cottage on St Mary’s Island, off the coast of Whitley Bay.

The owners of the cottage, in the shadow of St Mary’s lighthouse, are putting it up for sale for £425,000 as they move back to the mainland.

The cottage is accessible by foot only at low tide so the house is being sold complete with a rowing boat. It also comes with a large brush to sweep aside any stubborn seals blocking the causeway to the mainland.

The two-bedroom detached property was built in 1860 and was formerly a pub before it was converted into a family home.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1QH0EI3Kn
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #135
Angel of the South

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

http://www.sandersonyoung.co.uk/buy/view.aspx?pr=11519
Angel of the South no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #136
Turnbull2000

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of the South View Post
£425,000. You're having a laugh
Turnbull2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #137
Angel of the South

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
It is pretty much your own private island once the causeway it flooded. Imagine the parties you could have!!

I think houses on Lindisfarne go for a similar price...
Angel of the South no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM   #138
BigLebowski

Quote:
Pth, thats nowt! If you don't want much change from a cool million, head down to Front Street, Tynemouth:

http://www.vebra.com/details/property/22977/22299432

http://www.vebra.com/details/property/22977/21744533

Handy for the Turks Head i suppose...
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #139
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Pth, thats nowt! If you don't want much change from a cool million, head down to Front Street, Tynemouth:

http://www.vebra.com/details/property/22977/22299432

http://www.vebra.com/details/property/22977/21744533

Handy for the Turks Head i suppose...
For that sort of cash I would be want to be separated from the drunken masses and taxis by more than a couple of feet.
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #140
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

by Victoria Williams, The Journal, June 25th 2011

YOU can be cut off for eight hours a day and may have to shift ill-tempered seals from under the car - but it's still one of the most romantic and dramatic homes you could find.

Now homebuyers have a rare chance to own the cottage on St Mary’s Island, off the coast of Whitley Bay.

The owners of the cottage, in the shadow of St Mary’s lighthouse, are putting it up for sale for £425,000 as they move back to the mainland.

The cottage is accessible by foot only at low tide so the house is being sold complete with a rowing boat. It also comes with a large brush to sweep aside any stubborn seals blocking the causeway to the mainland.

The two-bedroom detached property was built in 1860 and was formerly a pub before it was converted into a family home.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1QH0EI3Kn
I notice they don't mention in the sales blurb about the skeletons of Russian Sailors who succumbed to cholera who were buried on the site

This from the Friends of St. Mary’s Island web site @ http://www.friendsofstmarysisland.co...theisland.html

Quote:
A report in a newspaper of 1867 said that there were no traces of the chapel left on the island. When in 1855 a cottage was built by a fisherman called George Ewen, from Aberdeen, with the agreement of his landlord, Lord Hastings, who assisted with some of the building materials, it seems probable that the stones from the chapel ruin were also used.

Mr. Ewen and his son were the licensees of the old Astley Arms on the Blyth road north of Seaton Sluice. In 1852 they rented the salmon fishing rights on the island, and a hut in which to keep the nets. Salmon fishing in those days was done with bag and stake-net, and there were many fisheries round the coast, rented in the same way as farms.

Mr. Ewen built a cottage to shelter the fishermen - a bothie with two rooms, thatched with bents (grass) gathered on the headland. Ten years later he turned his cottage into an inn called 'The Freemason's Arms', known locally as 'The Square and Compass', licensed to retail foreign and British wines, ales and porter.

Two extensions had been added to the north end of the cottage in 1861, a barrel room and a washing room, and during the building human remains were found, probably those of the Russian cholera victims. It was said that one of the skeletons was kept in the cellar and shown to customers for a small sum. The pipes through which fresh water was pumped from a stream on the headland to a cistern near the washing room are still to be seen.
Must be a nightmare living there in the Summer with all of those nosey holidaymakers looking through your windows!

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, monkseaton, north shields, north tyneside, tynemouth, whitley bay