search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2017, 12:44 PM   #1921
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3600

Coastal land train returns to North Tyneside

From the North Tyneside Council You Tube Channel @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaTOGOELcro

Coastal land train returns to North Tyneside
Published on 20 Jul 2017

A new land train, 'Spirit of the Bay', will take passengers on a journey along North Tyneside's stunning coastline

https://youtu.be/jaTOGOELcro

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #1922
Steve Ellwood

Upper Floors Of 48, 50, 52, 54 And 56 Victoria Terrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
17/00768/FUL | Change of use from offices to 4no. two bedroom flats. Construction of 4no. pitched roof dormers to the front roof slope. Construction of flat roofed dormer to the rear roof slope | Upper Floors Of 48, 50, 52, 54 And 56 Victoria Terrace Whitley Bay Tyne And Wear
Reference 17/00768/FUL
Alternative Reference PP-06102921
Application Received Fri 26 May 2017
Application Validated Fri 02 Jun 2017
Address Upper Floors Of 48, 50, 52, 54 And 56 Victoria Terrace Whitley Bay Tyne And Wear
Proposal Change of use from offices to 4no. two bedroom flats. Construction of 4no. pitched roof dormers to the front roof slope. Construction of flat roofed dormer to the rear roof slope
Status Awaiting decision
https://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesi...=OQJQ0GBHLBP00

Photographs 7th June 2017:

Images hosted on https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-...57684678341946
Status Decided
Decision Application Permitted
Decision Issued Date Fri 28 Jul 2017

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old July 28th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #1923
Steve Ellwood

Omni - Monkseaton

Quote:
16/01906/FUL | Change of use to A3 - restaurant and cafe and installation of ventilation and ducting systems | 12 Front Street Whitley Bay Tyne And Wear NE25 8DF
Reference 16/01906/FUL
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Tue 29 Nov 2016
Application Validated Mon 13 Mar 2017
Address 12 Front Street Whitley Bay Tyne And Wear NE25 8DF
Proposal Change of use to A3 - restaurant and cafe and installation of ventilation and ducting systems
Status Awaiting decision
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=OHEQXABH0GZ00
Status Decided
Decision Application Permitted
Decision Issued Date Thu 27 Jul 2017

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old July 29th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #1924
Steve Ellwood

Lindisfarne legend Ray Laidlaw joins campaign against cycle hub plans in Tynemouth

Courtesy of today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...idlaw-13400571
Lindisfarne legend Ray Laidlaw joins campaign against cycle hub plans in Tynemouth
Sonia Sharma 29 July 2017

Ray Laidlaw (Image: John Millard)

Music legend Ray Laidlaw has joined a campaign to stop developers building a new cycle hub at a coastal beauty spot.

The star, who shot to stardom in the 1970s with Tyneside band Lindisfarne, is among those protesting against plans to transform a piece of land at Spanish Battery, in Tynemouth.

If the proposals by the Northern Property Group are given the go-ahead, the new Watch House Garden could include a cafe area, shop, rooftop garden and viewing terrace as well as facilities for cyclists such as showers, lockers and service points. The plans, which have been submitted to North Tyneside Council, have split opinion and have attracted numerous objections as well as messages of support.

Ray, who was the drummer and one of the founders of Lindisfarne, was born in Tynemouth and still lives there. As he joined a protest gathering at Spanish Battery this week, he said: “This is the wrong place for something like this. It’s a residential area, quiet and unspoilt, and should be left that way. There are plenty of bars, restaurants and places for refreshment in the village which are fantastic. I don’t think it’s the right place, in fact I’m convinced it’s the wrong place, and we should not let it happen. I object strongly.”

Read more and see video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...idlaw-13400571

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old July 29th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #1925
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 630

I came across a lady gathering signatures in protest of it at Tynemouth market today. She was saying how places on Front street have promised to put in bicycle racks in front of their stores (good luck finding space or getting Tynemouth residents to agree to that). Also went onto say that one local resident has said that they would allow cyclists to use their own shower for £1 (because a cyclists feels comfortable knocking on someone's door and using their shower). Also went on to say that they don't want people drinking there, shouting and swearing etc. I said that any sort of night time entertainment there would be more like cocktail bars, not stag and hen do's, which she disagreed with.

This is fast becoming another case of 'I'm against because I won't use it myself' scenario in my opinion. Funny how the residents around there are quick to take praise about having the Northumberland bike ride end there, but once they are required to actually required to do something to deserve hosting cyclists who bring economic revenue to the town they suddenly don't want to know. How would they feel if say like Premier Inn decided to buy the spare land at the station to build a hotel for cyclists complete with row upon row of cycle racks instead? How would they feel when they venue they are proposing to use doesn't gain any purpose and become derelict and residents are asked to chip in to save it from becoming an eyesore?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2017, 02:47 PM   #1926
Steve Ellwood

Whitley Bay Premier Inn and Beefeater open as town's regeneration rolls on

Construction of both buildings extensively covered within this thread:

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...eater-13410211
Whitley Bay Premier Inn and Beefeater open as town's regeneration rolls on
By Sonia Sharma 31 July 2017

Official opening of the Premier Inn on Whitley Bay sea front (Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

A new Premier Inn hotel and Beefeater restaurant have opened their doors to the public in Whitley Bay, creating 59 jobs.

The £1.4m development, next to the Spanish City Dome, officially opened on Monday and marks a major milestone in the regeneration of the town. A number of projects are under way to help rejuvenate the coast, including the renovation of the grade-II listed Dome and improvements along the Northern and Central Promenades. It is thought the newly-opened venues will help to further boost Whitley Bay and attract more visitors and investment.

North Tyneside Mayor, Norma Redfearn, said: “I am delighted the new Premier Inn and Beefeater are now open for business. This development is the first completed part of the council’s Seafront Master Plan. There is a lot of other work going on along the coast - by this time next year, the area will look a lot different as other pieces of the jigsaw are completed. Many people have been unhappy with the state of the coast but they will be able to see what’s happening now as the regeneration continues.”

While many people have given the 68-bed hotel a thumbs-up, others have previously criticised the building’s design and described it as “ugly”, a “monstrosity”, an “eyesore” and even a “prison”, Premier Inn says the site was designed with the area’s heritage and surroundings in mind, and architects were mindful of the importance of the Dome and its character.

Darren Beeby, area manager, said: “We have had a lot of positive comments from people here. I’m originally from this area and I can see the building is such a contrast to what Spanish City was. It has brought some vibrant colour to the seafront. We have spoken to a lot of locals who have said they quite like the red and green copper, and have said they think the copper blends in with the ocean.”

Read more and see video slideshow @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...eater-13410211

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:54 PM   #1927
Steve Ellwood

New land train picks up its first passengers

From the North Tyneside Council You Tube Channel @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsa...RH6Ou7MSfgImsQ
New land train picks up its first passengers

Published on 1 Aug 2017

North Tyneside's new land train, Spirit of the Bay (run by Cygnet events), is up and running and has taken its first group of passengers on a fun-filled journey along the coast.

https://youtu.be/vr5EiQGOudU

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:19 PM   #1928
Steve Ellwood

Whitley Bay’s storm-damaged southern promenade to be repaired under £40,000 scheme

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...pairs-13424111
Whitley Bay’s storm-damaged southern promenade to be repaired under £40,000 scheme
Sonia Sharma 3 August 2017

A stretch of promenade that was closed because of storm damage eight months ago is due to be repaired this month.

The southern promenade in Whitley Bay, which runs parallel to Rockliffe Gardens, had to be shut for safety reasons following a violent storm surge in December which swept away chunks of wall and caused a footpath to collapse. Now the much-loved spot is to be repaired and reopened as part of a £40,000 scheme.

North Tyneside Council has given the go-ahead for Kier North Tyneside to carry out the work. The project is scheduled to begin on August 14 and is expected to take around six weeks to complete.

Councillor John Stirling, the council’s cabinet member for the environment, said: “The unique weather conditions we experienced in December caused widespread damage along our coastline and forced the closure of our southern promenade. Local people have understandably grown anxious about the length of time the promenade has been closed and we thank them for their patience, whilst officers finalised the works. I am delighted that we have now been able to secure the funds and agree a way forward.”

Read more and see video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...pairs-13424111

Some earlier photographs of South Promenade:

Images hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.c...th%20Promenade

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:41 PM   #1929
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 131

Do you reckon the land train is a trial for some coastal trams if the area rejuvenates. It would be great if it could link in with the quayside as that place is on the up.

*drinking hat on. A nice pub crawl from the quayside, to Tynemouth, to Surf Cafe and down the coast on the train/tram in the near future.

*Sensible pub crawl though, not Bigg Market style.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #1930
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Do you reckon the land train is a trial for some coastal trams if the area rejuvenates. It would be great if it could link in with the quayside as that place is on the up.

*drinking hat on. A nice pub crawl from the quayside, to Tynemouth, to Surf Cafe and down the coast on the train/tram in the near future.

*Sensible pub crawl though, not Bigg Market style.
I assume you mean the Fishquay rather than The Quayside, that would be quite a challenge

Of course back in the day a tramway did run between Whitley Bay, through Tynemouth and to North Shields. Not however the Fishquay as the gradient was too high.

Personally I don't see the land train as anything more than something for the day trippers top enjoy.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #1931
Steve Ellwood

New restaurant launch is hot stuff

From today's News Guardian @ http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/n...tuff-1-8683925
New restaurant launch is hot stuff
4 August 2017

The opening of Loca in Whitley Bay had a Day of the Dead theme.

The launch of a new restaurant turned out to be a rather hot and spicy occasion.

And despite the Mexican Dia de Los Muertos – Day of the Dead – theme, the party at Loca in South Parade, Whitley Bay, turned out to be a lively affair.

Loca is next to the fully refurbished and renamed 32-bedroom boutique Hotel 52. North East property business All Saints Living, one of the High Street Group of companies, is behind the venture. Hotel and restaurant manager Steve Walsh said: “The venue and the food were well received by the guests who thoroughly enjoyed the colourful Latino entertainment. I think people will really appreciate the chance to enjoy something which is not really available in the area right now.”

Read more at: http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/n...tuff-1-8683925

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 4th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #1932
sieldfield

Likes (Received): 1

whitley bay to north shields tramway

The trams ran down borough bank to the ferry landing at new quay. In july 1921 a runaway tram ended up in the river , I can remember my grandfather ,who worked at smiths docks telling me about it . I believe there is a photo of it in the library archives
sieldfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #1933
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieldfield View Post
The trams ran down borough bank to the ferry landing at new quay. In july 1921 a runaway tram ended up in the river , I can remember my grandfather ,who worked at smiths docks telling me about it . I believe there is a photo of it in the library archives
I'm sure that the trams didn't run to the Fishquay, would be interested if you have anything to suggest otherwise? - historically the fish merchants wanted the railway to be extended to transport their goods but it never did happen.

Trams did indeed run down and up Borough Bank as a link to the Cross Tyne Ferry, the lines can be seen in this old photograph.

Image hosted on https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-ellwood/

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 4th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #1934
Phil100
Phil100

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
I'm sure that the trams didn't run to the Fishquay, would be interested if you have anything to suggest otherwise? - historically the fish merchants wanted the railway to be extended to transport their goods but it never did happen.

Trams did indeed run down and up Borough Bank as a link to the Cross Tyne Ferry, the lines can be seen in this old photograph.
The National Library of Scotland now has 25inch/mile map coverage of our area. The Tramway down Borough Road to the area of the Ferry Landing is clearly shown on the 1913 edition albeit over two sheets!

Steve Ellwood liked this post
Phil100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #1935
Steve Ellwood

Have your say on housing plan

Quote:
Courtesy of the News Guardian @ http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/a...hool-1-8622874
Anger over plans for houses near first school
David Sedgwick 29 June 2017

The area of land near Playhouse Whitley Bay and Marine Park First School earmarked for 66 new properties.

Angry residents have hit out at plans to build 64 homes just yards from a first school.

Places for People has submitted a planning application to build a mix of townhouses and apartments on the site of the former Marine Park and Coquet Park first schools. The land at the junction of Coquet Avenue and Park Road has stood vacant for more than a decade, left as a fenced-off green field. The plans are for 16 three and four-bedroom townhouses, 44 one and two-bedroom apartments, and four two-bedroom flats over garages.

But nearby residents say the proposals are an overdevelopment of the site and are concerned by the near proximity to Marine Park First School. There are also concerns over the impact on nearby roads, already busy during the school runs, and the height of the proposed apartment blocks – meaning homeowners would overlook the school playground.

Nearby resident Chris Wade said: “Local residents are up in arms about it. “They are proposing a four storey high apartment block directly overlooking the first school. It is also going to block out people’s views of the Spanish City. It is a one-way road system round here, and this is going to have a huge impact on the traffic. It will be a nightmare. My main concern is the height. They are matching the roofline with the Playhouse and church rather than the two-storey houses nearby. There are other areas in Whitley Bay more suited to this kind of development. We’ve no idea why they have picked this site opposite a first school. I think the developers have got it wrong. I’m all for local development but this is not appropriate.”

Consultation is still ongoing but already North Tyneside Council’s planning department has received 23 objections.

A spokesperson for Places for People said: “We want to build a development that provides affordable and market housing for local people. “We understand local residents will have questions about the development, which has been significantly reduced from an original plan of 94 homes to 64 homes. Before we submitted the planning application we contacted residents as part of the planning process. We will still continue to address any queries where possible and residents are invited to contact us.”

Read more at: http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/a...hool-1-8622874
Follow up from the News Guardian @ http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/h...plan-1-8683947
Have your say on housing plan
Janet Hall 5 August 2017

A Whitley Bay councillor wants local people to have their say on a controversial planning application in the town.

Coun John O’Shea has called a public meeting to discuss Places for People’s plans to build homes on the former Marine Park school site, next to Whitley Bay Playhouse. “In my view, the plans are too high, too crowded and too many,” he said.

The application to build 16 town houses, 44 apartments and four flats will go before the council’s planning committee on August 29. But Coun O’Shea is asking folk to attend a public meeting in the Livingstone Hall, Park Parade, Whitley Bay, on Tuesday at 6.30pm.

In addition to the height, density and mix of the housing proposed, he is also concerned about the impact of more cars and the increased car parking demand in an already busy residential, commercial and leisure area. He said: “In addition to over-crowding the already crowded streets, many parents will also be concerned about the impact of yet more traffic around Marine Park school and the busy one-way system. I think most people would accept an appropriate development of homes on the site, but this is just way too many.”

Read more at: http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/h...plan-1-8683947

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 9th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #1936
Steve Ellwood

Protest to be held in Whitley Bay over planned closure of town's Jobcentre

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...otest-13448960
Protest to be held in Whitley Bay over planned closure of town's Jobcentre
Sonia Sharma 9 August 2017

Job Centre Plus Whitley Road, Whitley Bay (Image: newcastle chronicle)

Campaigners will be meeting this weekend to demonstrate against the closure of Whitley Bay Jobcentre.

The centre, on Whitley Road, is due to close later this month, and staff and claimants will then be asked to move to the North Shields branch. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) announced the plans earlier this year. The centre, on Whitley Road, is due to close later this month, and staff and claimants will then be asked to move to the North Shields branch. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) announced the plans earlier this year.

However, the Public and Commercial Services (PCS) union, which represents DWP staff, has attacked the move, saying it will affect the most vulnerable people. Campaigners will be meeting this weekend to demonstrate against the closure of Whitley Bay Jobcentre. Tthe Public and Commercial Services (PCS) union, which represents DWP staff, has attacked the move, saying it will affect the most vulnerable people.

And this Saturday, protestors will gather outside the building at around midday for a rally. Fran Heathcote, president of the PCS union, DWP group, said: “This closure will take our services and jobs out of the community, at a time when there is so much regeneration going on in Whitley Bay. It seems nonsensical to remove access to these services. The DWP says North Shields is only three miles away. Whilst that is true, it will still have a major effect on claimants who are vulnerable and can ill afford the transport costs. Our members feel really strongly about this and believe these people will be let down. The staff members in Whitley Bay also have their own responsibilities and family commitments. A number of them walk to work - they will also need to move. We have asked the DWP to co-locate the jobcentre services within local authority premises in the town, but they have refused this as well. It’s an absolute disgrace.”

The DWP has confirmed there will be no job losses due to the Whitley Bay move. A spokesperson added: “Whitley Bay Jobcentre is becoming increasingly underused, particularly as more of our services are offered online. Merging it with our site in North Shields means we can continue to provide a first-rate level of service to our claimants.”

Read more and see video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...otest-13448960

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 10th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #1937
Steve Ellwood

Coffee Central, Whitley Bay Metro Station

Something only the early Metro traveller gets to see - this piece of art on the shutters of Coffee Lounge photographed 8th August 2017.

Images hosted on https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-ellwood/

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #1938
Steve Ellwood

Protesters could bid to buy cycle-hub land

Courtesy of the News Guardian @ http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/p...land-1-8696468
Protesters could bid to buy cycle-hub land
10 August 2017

Friends of the Spanish Battery campaign leaders Lee Mitchell, Sally McGee and Bill Corrigan. Picture by John Millard

Campaigners fighting against the development of a cycle hub on the Spanish Battery headland at Tynemouth have received backing from the area’s MP.

Alan Campbell and ward councillors Sarah Day and Frances Weetman revealed they will be supporting protests – which include a petition with 2,800 signatures – over the Watch House Garden proposal, which will include a café or restaurant, shop, rooftop garden and outside terrace. Mr Campbell said: “Tynemouth is an award-winning seaside village and the reason for that success is because regeneration has been sensitive and has had the backing of most residents. It is clear that this proposed development is neither sensitive to the area nor does it have local backing. We all want to welcome visitors including cyclists to Tynemouth, but it’s not obvious that this site in particular marks the end of the cycle way nor is there anything proposed here that could not be provided nearby either in the village or as part of the Fish Quay regeneration. But above all this is green open space, part of Tynemouth’s history, and much loved by visitors and residents alike. Just because it’s possible to develop somewhere doesn’t mean it’s necessarily a good idea. Take away a quiet open space and you cannot easily put it back.” Coun Day added: Although I am not opposed to a cycle hub in general, I do not believe that the Spanish Battery site is a suitable location. It’s one of the last quiet spaces in the area for residents and visitors alike and it would be a real shame to lose it for future generations. Once it’s gone we will not get it back.”

Meanwhile, the Friends of the Spanish Battery campaign group has approached North Tyneside Council about the plot of land, presently public open space, earmarked for the venture. The developers own most of the land needed and have approached the council about buying a large stretch of the adjacent grassy embankment. Friends of the Spanish Battery is considering making a rival bid for the land, with one idea being to transform the threatened embankment with wild flowers to enhance the area and encourage biodiversity on the headland.

But Josh Boyle, one of the founders of the Watch House Garden project, has said: “Our designs turn the current private garden and unusable, overgrown slope into an accessible green space for all the public to enjoy, essentially increasing the green space available on the Spanish Battery. A full visual impact assessment has been carried out on the proposed development site and it shows that the Cycle hub will not even be visible from approximately 95 per cent of the headland. He added: “We are essentially three local lads who hope to ensure a successful and sustainable business that will provide jobs for the area and enhance local tourism by attracting more people to Tynemouth. From the outset, we ensured that the designs fitted into such an important and iconic area as the Spanish Battery and that they would not impact the back drop of the Brigade Watch House, as well as having as many consultations with as many stakeholders in the local area as possible.”

Read more at: http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/p...land-1-8696468

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 11th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #1939
Steve Ellwood

Lifeboat House, Cullercoats Bay

Quote:
17/00967/CONSEA | RNLI North Division - Regional licence for low impact maintenance works on coastal area | Lifeboat House Cullercoats Bay Victoria Crescent Cullercoats Tyne And Wear NE30 4QB
Reference 17/00967/CONSEA
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Mon 26 Jun 2017
Application Validated Fri 30 Jun 2017
Address Lifeboat House Cullercoats Bay Victoria Crescent Cullercoats Tyne And Wear NE30 4QB
Proposal RNLI North Division - Regional licence for low impact maintenance works on coastal area
Status Awaiting decision
https://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesi...=OSCQ8WBH0I300

Grade Listing details and photographs of the building can be seen @ http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1520

Image hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.c...%20-%20Vol%201
Status Decided
Decision No significant effect on the environment
Decision Issued Date Fri 11 Aug 2017

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #1940
Steve Ellwood

How St Mary's Lighthouse might look if £2.1m funding bid succeeds

Courtesy of the Northumberland Gazette @ http://www.northumberlandgazette.co....eeds-1-8698820
How St Mary's Lighthouse might look if £2.1m funding bid succeeds
11 August 2017

Detailed plans to revamp St Mary’s Lighthouse have been unveiled as the final funding bid is lodged.

North Tyneside Council and its partners are bidding to secure £2.1million from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to carry out vital repairs to the iconic Grade II listed lighthouse and former keeper’s cottages. Development funding of £164,300 was awarded by HLF, thanks to National Lottery players, in May 2016 to progress the proposals and the final bid for the rest of the money has now been submitted.

A planning application has also been lodged detailing what the proposed restoration would involve if the funding bid proves successful. The proposals, which have been drawn up in partnership with appointed designers Beaumont Brown Architects, include restoring all lighthouse facilities and rebuilding the original optic (light) to create a fascinating new feature for visitors. There are plans to improve and expand educational facilities to give visitors the chance to learn more about the heritage and environment of St Mary’s.

Norma Redfearn, Elected Mayor of North Tyneside, said: “St Mary’s Lighthouse is a real jewel in the crown for our coastline and it is absolutely vital that we carry out these repairs to preserve it for future generations. A great deal of hard work has gone into preparing a robust bid for funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and I would like to commend everyone involved for their efforts. The final designs look fantastic and fingers crossed our bid will prove successful and we’ll be able to start to make these changes a reality in the near future.”

A decision on the final funding bid to HLF is expected in December 2017. If successful, it is expected that main capital works could begin in spring 2018 at the earliest with completion due in spring 2019. Use to show your support for the campaign.

Read more at: http://www.northumberlandgazette.co....eeds-1-8698820

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, monkseaton, north shields, north tyneside, tynemouth, whitley bay