daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #21
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Oh Historian!! You dissapoint me. I thought that such a cultured fellow like yourself would love an Indians. Tender chicken breast smothered in a nice Madras sauce is the very taste of heaven.
I'm a victim of circumstance. I'll just have to stick to chicken nuggets . . . but NO Curry Sauce!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #22
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Is it going to be an expensive place do you think?

I can honestly say that I have never had a bad curry in a Tyneside restaurant. They are spot on all the time.
I have been to the one in Boro and imo its reasonably priced - obviously what is reasonable differs from one person to another

See this link for the Menu to get an idea of prices - http://www.akbars.co.uk/menu.php?id=22
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #23
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
My father was in India for about ten years (in the army) before the war, and two 'curry related' things came out that, for me.

1 - He told me in no uncertain terms WHY these curry flavours were added to meat in the first place (I'll not go on!)

2 - He used to make strong curries (based on his Indian experiences) when I was a small child, which I hated. I hate the smell and taste of any and all curry-type dishes now! (I don't miss them!)

Still, there-ya-go!
I am well aware of that BUT thats not the case with the finer establishments here (I reckon it happens in Takeaways BUT i never go to them, only to Restaurants)
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #24
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Is it going to be an expensive place do you think?

I can honestly say that I have never had a bad curry in a Tyneside restaurant. They are spot on all the time.
The places i have been to the food has generally been canny - its usually things like atmosphere, service etc which determines whether i will go back.
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #25
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Even though it's in the Gate I think Spice Cube is awesome for curry. Probably the tastiest I've ever had. I understand the service can be slow at busy times though (never been a problem on the multiple occasions I've been).
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #26
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Oh Historian!! You dissapoint me. I thought that such a cultured fellow like yourself would love an Indians. Tender chicken breast smothered in a nice Madras sauce is the very taste of heaven.
For me its gotta be leg or thigh, cooked on the bone in the sauce for at least 2 hours...really gets the flavour all the way through. Breast in a curry is always a bit dry for me, maybe i just cook it wrong!

Eating out in Newcastle i'd say Blackfriars if youre feeling rich (the owner used to have the sublime Sidney's in Tynemouth which was the best on the coast bar none), and Nudos for quick and cheap. Best fast food chain would probably be Wagamamas for me, even at its busiest it always seems to give great service. Also I love Landmark on Stowell Street to (how lucky are we to have a Chinatown in Newcastle, i reckon we take it totally for granted!)
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #27
Dan_NUFC

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Can anyone recommend any good Chinese buffets in the city centre?
Lau's in China Town is very nice, so is Ho Buffet near the traffic lights just along from Wellbar Central or whatever it is called.
Dan_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #28
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
The places i have been to the food has generally been canny - its usually things like atmosphere, service etc which determines whether i will go back.
i'd agree with that... on a place like Ocean Road where you have a choice of a dozen restaurants next to each other its the service which sets the best apart, theres only minimal difference in food quality (except the one or two which are either amazingly nice or incredibly skanky!)
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #29
gregstone

Likes (Received): 25

You might want to consult this before making your choice - let's just say that you won't find many of the council's environmental officers eating at the Ho Buffet....

http://www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/c...e-city-council
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #30
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
Lau's in China Town is very nice, so is Ho Buffet near the traffic lights just along from Wellbar Central or whatever it is called.
Lau's used to be great, untill the influx of chavs reised it was, now it's full of chavs, the here we go here we go crowd, and the food has really gone down hill.

I have been to Ho buffet a couple of times, and it's not bad, I went in because it seemed rather uncrowded, the range of food is fairly small, but other then that it's not so bad. I don't think I'll re-visit though, on the grounds of Greg's post. To be honest, you never will find a chinese buffet that has nice food, they stopped doing that along time ago once they relised they didn't have to go to all that effort because people will eat it in anyway, because it's chinease.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #31
kieron79

Quote:
personally i believe there is no such thing! i always used to think it seemed like a good idea at the time but always regretted it afterwards.
Wagamama on the other hand is great esp. as its a chain, never had a bad meal there yet.
I also really like Paradiso, again a solid restaurant serving good quality food. Out of town I really like Adrianos on Gosforth High Street
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #32
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
That i fully agree with - cant beat Indian food like (Cant wait til Akbar's opens )
Imagine being me, I like Indian food, would love to eat more of it but it really 'does not agree' with me if you know what I mean. So when I go for a curry with mates I have to stick to the tandoori dishes. It's something in the sauces... dont know what. Gutted

By the way, i'm fine on cheap shit supermarket boil in the bag stuff, but who wants to eat that???
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #33
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Anyone been to that Taybarns up by the Metro Centre? Its in the Derwent Crossing hotel. Its american style all you can eat, but has chinese, indian, pizza, pasta, grill... you name it, they got it! My gran loves it, my mum hates it.

I am yet to sample the delights of a plate of pepperoni pizza, jalfezi and egg fried rice with a steak on the side!!
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #34
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Nudos for quick and cheap.
Nudos is great.

A pity the French restaurant that was there before - Le Normand - didn't make it. That was excellent.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #35
Dan_NUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
Anyone been to that Taybarns up by the Metro Centre? Its in the Derwent Crossing hotel. Its american style all you can eat, but has chinese, indian, pizza, pasta, grill... you name it, they got it! My gran loves it, my mum hates it.

I am yet to sample the delights of a plate of pepperoni pizza, jalfezi and egg fried rice with a steak on the side!!
I've been to the one in South Shields before and it's quite nice.

I went to what I thought was Wokmania in the Gate last night but it's now called Gekko, seems to have a bigger variety of foods.
Dan_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #36
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
I could be a cynic (ME???) and suggest that the terms 'good' and 'buffet' don't really go together... but if I had to choose it would be the one on Stowell Street more or less opposite Lau's Buffet King (so great I can't remember its name). Do not, under any circumstances, venture into Wokmania. I was idiotically seduced by its advertisements in the Metro (the newspaper, not the light rail system), even though the fact that is was located in The Gate should have been warning enough. Do not go there; it is
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #37
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
I've been to the one in South Shields before and it's quite nice.

I went to what I thought was Wokmania in the Gate last night but it's now called Gekko, seems to have a bigger variety of foods.
Ha! Hadn't seen your post, Dan. Gekko sound like an onomatopeic (sp?) representation of the noise made whern faced with Wokmania food.
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #38
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
Out of town I really like Adrianos on Gosforth High Street
Agree totally, Adrianos is really good. Have a pint or two in the County as well!
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #39
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I could be a cynic (ME???) and suggest that the terms 'good' and 'buffet' don't really go together... but if I had to choose it would be the one on Stowell Street more or less opposite Lau's Buffet King (so great I can't remember its name). Do not, under any circumstances, venture into Wokmania. I was idiotically seduced by its advertisements in the Metro (the newspaper, not the light rail system), even though the fact that is was located in The Gate should have been warning enough. Do not go there; it is
That is true - you go to Buffet's cos you know what you will pay, whilst the food in some places is not bad its not brilliant either.

Aneesa's the Indian Buffet in South Shields is not bad
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #40
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I think this is a very good idea for a thread! Perhaps a few more could follow such as Drinking in Newcastle (for bars/pubs/clubs) and Entertainment in Newcastle (for concerts/gigs/shows/events/etc)?

Anyway what about good quality Italian restaurants in the City Centre? Has anyone been to Strada by the way? Any thoughts on it?
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
café, cafes, chinese restaurants, chip shops, fast food, food, indian restaurants, mcdonalds, newcastle, newcastle retail, restaurant, restaurants, take away, take aways, wimpy