search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #41
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
That is true - you go to Buffet's cos you know what you will pay, whilst the food in some places is not bad its not brilliant either.

Aneesa's the Indian Buffet in South Shields is not bad
Fair enough - but most of the Chinese buffets I have been in have been disappointing. I did like the Indian buffet - Salaam Bombay? - on Darn Crook, but that closed down and is now 'King Chicken'. Not room enough for sufficient tables to make the revenue up through drinks, perhaps.

Wokmania was worse than disappointing thouggh; it was ******* rank. 'Hot and sour soup' that looked and tasted like dishwater. Hotplates full of little but chopped onion and sauce. An absolute disgrace - not worth 50p for a meal.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #42
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Only Italian restaurants in the city i have been to are Ask (in the Gate) and Zizzi (Grey Street) - I was limited to vegetarian dishes BUT i liked both places, Zizzi's was better in terms of atmosphere
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #43
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
That is true - you go to Buffet's cos you know what you will pay, whilst the food in some places is not bad its not brilliant either.

If that is the one on the roundabout, then my old work mate swore about that place, went there every night for a week once, I think he still goes atlest once a week, says people look at him in disgrace because he goes past them every 10 mintues to get another plate full.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #44
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Fair enough - but most of the Chinese buffets I have been in have been disappointing. I did like the Indian buffet - Salaam Bombay? - on Darn Crook, but that closed down and is now 'King Chicken'. Not room enough for sufficient tables to make the revenue up through drinks, perhaps.

Wokmania was worse than disappointing thouggh; it was ******* rank. 'Hot and sour soup' that looked and tasted like dishwater. Hotplates full of little but chopped onion and sauce. An absolute disgrace - not worth 50p for a meal.
I never got to go there BUT it did look a bit small so not surprised it closed down

I have been to King's Chicken on a few occasions - first time i went the food was nice BUT the second time was not so good (hate it when that happens )
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #45
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Not in the City Centre, but we always enjoy Santanas on Jesmond Road/Cradlewell Bypass, and Scalinis on Osborne Road.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #46
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
If that is the one on the roundabout, then my old work mate swore about that place, went there every night for a week once, I think he still goes atlest once a week, says people look at him in disgrace because he goes past them every 10 mintues to get another plate full.
Aye thats the one - it is decent, for what you pay its not bad. The starters are the best thing about it, the main dishes are pretty average. For what you pay its overall quite canny - good for parties
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #47
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Aye thats the one - it is decent, for what you pay its not bad. The starters are the best thing about it, the main dishes are pretty average. For what you pay its overall quite canny - good for parties
Not been, not really one to go to South Shields, I have no reason to, just he lives there, and went there alot, used to tell me about it everyday, £10 each I believe.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #48
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Not been, not really one to go to South Shields, I have no reason to, just he lives there, and went there alot, used to tell me about it everyday, £10 each I believe.
Aye its a £10 - gannin everyday is a bit extreme like

I can only go to Buffet's after a lengthy gap
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #49
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Aye its a £10 - gannin everyday is a bit extreme like

I can only go to Buffet's after a lengthy gap
Oh he loves his food, got a little bit of weight because of it, great person though.

Went on a diet in the end.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #50
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Anyway what about good quality Italian restaurants in the City Centre? Has anyone been to Strada by the way? Any thoughts on it?
Love it. I like that they dont stick to the usual. Had some great pasta dishes in there. My only gripe is that they have about 5 varieties of ham pizza on the menu, and not much else. Great if you like ham!!

Still doesnt beat Zizzis for me, I think that place is 10/10 for food, location, atmosphere and price. Love it.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #51
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Has anyone been to that Indians in the Stephenson Querter?

I went there with work once, pretty good, a bit small on the space, but good, I thought my meal was pretty good, but the others didn't think, very expensive though, about £10 just for a starter, glad I wasn't paying. I think they guy who took us spent over £100 on cokes alone, the toal came to over £400.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #52
Geordie Ahmed

Quote:
Has anyone been to that Indians in the Stephenson Querter?

I went there with work once, pretty good, a bit small on the space, but good, I thought my meal was pretty good, but the others didn't think, very expensive though, about £10 just for a starter, glad I wasn't paying. I think they guy who took us spent over £100 on cokes alone, the toal came to over £400.
You talking about Sachins?
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #53
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
You talking about Sachins?
Yup, thats the one.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #54
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:

I've been to Aneesa's a couple of times, and on both occasions a smartly dressed woman was going table to table asking if everything was alright! She introduced herself as 'Aneesa' so she was either the owner or a local nutter having a laugh.....

The food was ok, nowt to write home about but at that price you couldnt complain.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #55
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
I have been to the one in Boro and imo its reasonably priced - obviously what is reasonable differs from one person to another

See this link for the Menu to get an idea of prices - http://www.akbars.co.uk/menu.php?id=22
i've been to the one in Leeds, York and Manchester, loved them both and they are reasonably priced. one thing that really gets me about Akbars si that it is far too noisy as they seem to cram everybody in which really pisses me off and to me it can't be a place to go for a nice quiet meal.

Landmark Chinese on stowell street is tops. Very nice place and brilliant food. Expensive though.

Wagamama - love it

Nando's (the gate coz it's halal) go there all the time too

Cafe Neon on the bigg market, great little cafe with awesome food, cannot praise this cafe enough.

Other than than as much as i love indian food, i prefer my girlfriend to cook it for me with her parents being from Pakistan she knows her stuff.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #56
Dan_NUFC

Are Akbars still opening in Newcastle?
Dan_NUFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #57
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_NUFC View Post
Are Akbars still opening in Newcastle?
In the New Year.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #58
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

Here goes my list:

Chinese: New Royal Circle

Italian: not town centre, put Sale Pepe's in Jesmond is truly excellent, with really great atmosphere, sorry to say it Historian, but it beats the socks of Santanas! Zizzi on Grey Street, while a chain is also good.

Indian: I haven't had a bad one in town tbh. On a more specifically southern indian cuisine (I think that's where it is, but can't remember), there's that place down near the cashpoint next to Akenside Traders, that's very good.

English/ High end: Black Door Bistro at the Biscuit Factory. Only went once, but was brilliant.

Tapas: Well all of the places I've been, but El Coto is my favourite, closely followed by El Torrero. And not forgetting the Salsa Cafe and the Montana de Nachos!

Otyher places I'm fond of eating at in the city centre are Wagamamas, Blake's Coffee House (for lunch), ....and probably loads of others that I've forgotten
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #59
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Dim Sum at Mangos on Stowell Street.

Cheap Chinese food at Chinatown Express (go off the big menu rather than the standard Chicken Chow Mein one).

Tasty, fresh, cheap pizzas at Fusion Cafe on the Northumbria Campus main square (tho' it's part of Newcastle College)

Sachins is excellent: dearer than bog-standard, though I'd argue it's not as expensive as said above.

For a big breakfast, Salt & Pepper (the Green Cafe) on Westgate Hill (DO NOT confuse with the Salt & Pepper burger place on Percy Street)

Tapas: El Coto, Leazes Park Road
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #60
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

I've been to Sachins and the service was excellent, as was the food and it wasn't that expensive. Still prefer Spice Cube though.

I forgot to mention Red Mezze before which is near St James' Park, by Barker and Stonehouse. It's a Turkish restaurant and the food is absolutely delicious. I would totally recommend it. Reasonably priced too.

Zizzi? You're having a laugh! The service is legendarily bad in there and every time I've been I've had to wait friggin' ages for the food to arrive (regardless of party size).
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
café, cafes, chinese restaurants, chip shops, fast food, food, indian restaurants, mcdonalds, newcastle, newcastle retail, restaurant, restaurants, take away, take aways, wimpy