search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #81
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Like already said, it is strange that they would open in Middlesborough before Newcastle.
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #82
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

Something I wish would open in Newcastle is Gourmet Burger Kitchen!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #83
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
Something I wish would open in Newcastle is Gourmet Burger Kitchen!
Where is the nearest one? Would love to try them.
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #84
kieron79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Where is the nearest one? Would love to try them.
Leeds or Edinburgh!
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #85
Smash17

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
Leeds or Edinburgh!
That's far too often the case!
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #86
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
I dont mind leisurely service (ie. 20-25mins for your main), one thing that makes eating less fun out here in Van is the fact you get your food so fast. You order and within 10 mins you are eating. THen they bring the bill when clearing plates! So its very in an out, its because they rely on tips.
Strange, that's never a problem I've encountered. I've considered the food and resturant service to be one of the main positive elements here.

There did not appear to be a moxies grill in the S&N redevelopment renderings, despite one being rumoured. Moxies are a fairly typical chain of moderately priced casual resturants and are generally fine, although I'd prefer something more unusual like old spaghetti factory.

Ocean road in south shields is a good place for indian food, and there's a decent fish and chips shop towards the sea end that was visited by tony blair. I've not had a single bad meal on ocean road.
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #87
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

everything about head of steam is shit; its cramped, there's no where to sit, stuffy, ugly, no windows, average drinks etc. but it's also the one place where you always end up talking to new people and chatting bollocks on some weird subject. this can be good and bad, its not a place to go for a quiet drink but if you are at a loose end it's a good bet. and as it is full of bearded phd students it scares off all charvs, stags etc so less wankers than usual.

i do like popolo, nice surroundings and very good drink selection, though it depends what sort of crowd is in - sometimes it's full of 40 year old businessmen/women, or middle aged shoppers from the east end waiting for buses on pilgrim street, when it can feel a bit depressing.

The Cluny, Tanners & the Tyne are great, but a bit far out for me to visit too often. would be nice to have a 'bar' type venue out there, as opposed to the pub style offerings currently in the valley.

The Forth is my favourite place in town for a couple of quick drinks, it gets a real mix of folk and doesn't get dominated by dickheads on a 'big night out' who can't handle their drink.

the one place i used to go to all the time but haven't visited in years is Quin's/Rafferty's. favourite haunt of 17 year old newcastle college students and 60 year old dancing radgies. the main reason i went is due to it being next to my bus stop and serving probably the cheapest drinks in town.

Last edited by johnnypd; January 8th, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #88
Deebex

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Deebex, you expressed an interest in the 'architecture' of pubs, did you see the 50 photos of the S&N pubs, earlier in this thread?
Indeed I did, I recognised the ones mentioned above as well as the Scrogg Inn (now the Walker Club - driven past it, never been in) and the Kings Arms at Seaton Sluice (a nice little pub in a good location).

I'm not sure if anyones mentioned it, but the 'Burglar's Dog' website is a superb reference for pubs in Newcastle. It's not been updated for a while, but if you like the sound of bewildered invective being directed at some of the [email protected] identikit bars then this is the place to go:

http://www.theburglarsdog.co.uk/

In fact that site should be on the list of useful websites
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #89
Deebex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Deebex, you expressed an interest in the 'architecture' of pubs, did you see the 50 photos of the S&N pubs, earlier in this thread?
Indeed I did, I recognised the ones mentioned above as well as the Scrogg Inn (now the Walker Club - driven past it, never been in) and the Kings Arms at Seaton Sluice (a nice little pub in a good location).

I'm not sure if anyones mentioned it, but the 'Burglar's Dog' website is a superb reference for pubs in Newcastle. It's not been updated for a while, but if you like the sound of bewildered invective being directed at some of the [email protected] identikit bars then this is the place to go:

http://www.theburglarsdog.co.uk/

In fact that site should be on the list of useful websites
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #90
kieron79

Like I say probs more to do with memories than the actual pub itself, used to have some decent bands in the basement and mate done a few dj parties there a long time ago, used to be a decent warm up place for Shindig in its early days (ie 10+ years ago), but yeah its certainly not gonna win any design awards!
The Forth is prob my favourite pub (or at lreast the one I frequent most often), the only thing is that since it was done out its now starting to attract a lot of the tossers who drink along Collingwood Street as its currently seen as a 'cool' bar.
Not too sure about Popolo, I go in a lot as my mate works close by and they serve Tiger on draught but its often full of 'try hards'. I often think its got an unhealthy amount of beard strokers ala Jazz Man from the Fast Show! Drinks are bloody expensive too, although if you manage to get a booth its a decent enough place to while the hours away over several pints.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #91
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I get the feeling that there's quite a few of us on here that have similar tastes in terms of places to drink - I'm a big fan of The Forth, Popolo's, Tokyo (more in terms of design than a place to drink, mainly due to the time spent waiting at the bar), The Cluny and Secco (table football!). Baccus is nice for a drink after work on a Friday too.

I'm also told Tilley's is good but I've never made it there. As for the Head of Steam, I'm not a big fan, but it's much better now that smoking is banned, which was unbearable due to the ultra-low ceilings.

Anyway, seeing as we all seem to like similar pubs, would anyone be interested in a meet-up one evening in the not-so-distant future..?

*****PS Historian has now asked the mods for this thread to be split into two. Could everyone hold off from posting anything else here until it's been split, to make it easier to do so? Hopefully it'll be done within 24hrs or so*****
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #92
kieron79

Yeah Tilleys is a very good pub! Same people that own Cluny and HofS I believe or maybe The Forth? Baccus is a very good boozer too, used to be VERY male orientated but has improved vastly since it was done out a few years ago!
Yeah could prob do a 'meet up', we could do a bar crawl of all the bars we like
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #93
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
I think it should be split. I suggested back on page 2 we should have threads for 'Drinking in Newcastle', 'Eating in Newcastle' and 'Entertainment in Newcastle'.
Hi All,

There was overwhelming support to ‘split’ the Restaurants & Pubs thread, and this has been done.

We now have three threads, split along the lines suggested above by TownPlanningNE . . .
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #94
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

Same for me too - Forth, Popolo, Alvinos, occasionally Tilleys, Head of Steam, Tanners, Baccus, Cluny....
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #95
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Akbar's might be happening after all . . . Apparently, all parties involved met onsite at Waterloo Square today . . . here's hoping . . .
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #96
TownPlanningNE

Hopefully they can come to some sort of agreement then!
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #97
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Akbar's might be happening after all . . . Apparently, all parties involved met onsite at Waterloo Square today . . . here's hoping . . .
Interesting - dont want to get my hopes up BUT fingers crossed
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #98
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Jay-Z loses fight with chef Terry Miller over Rockafella name
Jan 13 2010 by Alastair Craig, The Journal

CELEBRITY chef Terry Miller has won an epic David and Goliath legal battle against an American rap star over the right to name his restaurant.

Mr Miller, who won the Hell’s Kitchen competition on ITV in 2005, was made the subject of a legal challenge four years ago by Roc-A-Fella Records, which claimed his Rockafella restaurant in Newcastle city centre breached its trademark rights. The music label, founded by Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter in 1996, launched legal proceedings against the reality TV star with the UK’s Intellectual Property Office.

But Mr Miller, of Darras Hall, Ponteland, has now won a ruling granting him a trademark for the restaurant and food branding name, Rockafella, that gives him exclusive rights to use it for eateries in the UK. The 51-year-old, who is married to Linda, 53, admits the ruling is a moral victory only, coming two years after he was forced to close his business, in Newcastle’s Amen Corner.

The recession-hit restaurant had been launched by Mr Miller with his £250,000 Hell’s Kitchen winnings, and was opened by chef Gary Rhodes and former Newcastle United and England striker Alan Shearer.

The couple currently work as head chef and stewardess on a Russian millionaire’s yacht moored off the coast of Croatia, after deciding on a fresh start in 2008. From aboard the £20m, 140ft Feadship cruiser, Mr Miller told The Journal last night: “I’m happy with the legal win because it’s a moral victory as much as anything.

“Unfortunately the restaurant is gone now, but I still hope to market my King Prawn Rockafella signature dish, possibly through supermarkets, and I want to keep the name.

“Maybe this big American company thought we’d roll over and accept what they were saying but we were never going to do that lightly. “The case has taken a lot of our time and money and I’m pleased that common sense has come through in the end.”

Roc-A-Fella had claimed that the general public would be confused into thinking the two enterprises were connected.

But IP Office expert Oliver Morris ruled that the public would be more likely to think of the famous American Rockerfeller family if they encountered either the record label or the restaurant. He said: “Although the marks are highly similar, there is a large degree of dissimilarity between restaurant and catering services on the one hand and the services relating to record production on the other.

“Even considering a member of the public who is aware of Roc-A-Fella as a record label, such a person will not make a link to the record label if they encountered the Rockafella restaurant. “There is no link and, therefore, no damage.”

Mr Morris ruled that confusion was more likely in respect of bar services, a further category in which Mr Miller sought to register the Rockafella name as a trademark. This application was rejected. He ordered the record label to pay the Millers £400 in legal costs.

Mr Miller won £200,000 cash, plus £30,000 of catering equipment and £20,000 worth of Gary Rhodes’s mentoring time and expertise when he claimed top prize in Hell’s Kitchen five years ago. But the bubble burst when the credit crunch hit the Millers’ restaurant dream.

Previously they ran the Plough pub in Ponteland before quitting to concentrate on an outdoor catering business.

Beyonce's bloke is mega rich

MUSIC star Jay-Z is one of America’s most successful rap artists.

The foundation of Roc-A-Fella Records occurred in 1996, beginning as an independent outlet for the star’s debut album, Reasonable Doubt.

Jay-Z is among the richest musicians in the world, with a personal fortune of over £100m.

The 40-year-old has sold more than 30 million copies of his albums in the US alone and received several Grammy Awards for his work. His latest number one track was Crazy in Love, performed as a duet with his singer and wife, Beyonce Knowles.

His most famous songs include 99 Problems and Bonnie and Clyde, again performed with his wife. Jay-Z, real name is Shawn Carter, co-owns National Basketball Association’s New Jersey Nets and created clothing line Rocawear.

In his New York neighbourhood, Carter was known as “Jazzy”, a nickname that eventually developed into his stage name
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #99
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Akbars is back on.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #100
geordiejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Akbars is back on.
Where did you hear about that then? I hope you are right I was devestated when it was mentioned it wasnt going to open.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
café, cafes, chinese restaurants, chip shops, fast food, food, indian restaurants, mcdonalds, newcastle, newcastle retail, restaurant, restaurants, take away, take aways, wimpy