search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #101
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I must admit I'd never heard of Akbar's before reading about them on here, but so many people have said so much about them that I'm really looking forward to them opening up!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #102
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
New Baltic quarter restaurant
A SIX-FIGURE investment will see the opening of a new restaurant which aims to put Gateshead’s up-and-coming Baltic Business Quarter on the culinary map.

Greenhouse Brasserie opens next month and will serve up fresh, contemporary British dishes full of locally-sourced ingredients.

The 62-seater licensed restaurant is the result of a £360,000 investment to create a high-quality dining experience for nearby business and leisure diners. It will recruit 18 staff.

Richard Thorold, principal at Gateshead College, said: “The opening of Greenhouse Brasserie marks a new era for the Gateshead Quays. In the current climate diners are looking for top-quality cuisine at excellent value, which is exactly what we will be offering at the new restaurant.”

The opening of Greenhouse Brasserie, which is at the entrance to the Baltic Campus, will create 18 jobs.

Joanne Rogan, hospitality development manager, said: “Our focus will be on serving up an exquisite menu with the best locally-sourced ingredients.

“Greenhouse Brasserie will be a hotbed for nurturing culinary talent of the future, headed up by a professional head chef and restaurant manager.”
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-25657311/
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:13 PM   #103
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

Good luck to them - they're not exactly in the best location. In 10 or 15 years time, if developments go to plan, the area will be pretty bust, but at the minute it is rather out of the way.

btw has anyone been to Breadpoint on low friar street? great little asian bakery and dead cheap, just went in earlier and got a spicy tuna bun and a pineapple/peach/caramel pastry thingy. delicious.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #104
inmh88
Urban Myth

Yes, been in. However they are not as good as Jasmine Bakery further up round the corner. Jasmine is the original chinese bakery shop, and they have more filling and tastier buns! Make mine a char-siu bun and also a spicy chicken bun please!
(Jasmine is closed on a Friday by the way)

They also sell fresh noodles in a big bowl, but i'm not sure how to request that...
inmh88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:26 PM   #105
johnnypd

i see, didnt know jasmine did that sort of thing. i'll check it out next time.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM   #106
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

Unfortunately I hear Belle & Herbs has gone under
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM   #107
inmh88
Urban Myth

Johnnypd, here is google maps link: http://tinyurl.com/y9jvbwn

Aye, its the original Chinese Fresh Bun bakery, the other bakery is a contemporary pale copy. Jasmine does not skimp on the fillings, and the buns just taste better! Mmmmm....

Jasmine has very basic decor inside, but don't be put off, I like as it reminds me of an old fashioned cosy tea shop.

Greg: Belle & Herbs gone under, that is shocking news! Every time I passed by there were queues comming out into the street. What will the Students do!!!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:03 PM   #108
johnnypd

belle & herbs is mint. i hope that is not true. i must admit i did get a bit put off by how busy it got though.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #109
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Yeah the service got pretty bad too. But PLEASE dont let it be true!!
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:30 PM   #110
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

It's true, they shut down around New Year. There's a sign on the door explaining that the landlord had re-entered the premises, therefore terminating the rental agreement. It does look to be pretty final. Gutted.

Annoyingly, I also noticed on the window that they'd just started opening during the evenings too.
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #111
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Do a search on facebook for Belle and Herbs... tells the whole story on the group. Stupid staff, I knew they would be the death of that place. Lazy half-arsed student wankers.
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #112
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

I agree, it was great, but always too busy and crammed. I prefer cafe bar one near the Cradlewell for my breakfasting needs
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #113
inmh88
Urban Myth

Can someone post what the Facebook page said? I'm not on Facebook - absolutely refuse to be on it!
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:07 PM   #114
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

went to Pizza Express today on Osbourne Rd, this is the 2nd time I have visited it and I must say its really nice! They have done a lovely job fitting it out (so much nicer than the dated one of Gosforth High St), I noticed they had some great framed pics of Jesmond Dene in there too, asked manager about them and got address of photographer who took them. Im gonna get some framed myself for our home.
http://www.peteriaincampbell.co.uk/ *under 'pinhole' in projects section

What do you guys think?
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM   #115
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Nice work! I am inspired now as we are having our wedding photography in Jesmond Dene, will have to get some nice shots of the mill as a backdrop. Fingers crossed for a nice day!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM   #116
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
Nice work! I am inspired now as we are having our wedding photography in Jesmond Dene, will have to get some nice shots of the mill as a backdrop. Fingers crossed for a nice day!
Jesmond Dene has a wealth of great photo opportunities, as you mention the Mill is great, as is the Pavillion, waterfall and the bridges! Just need the weather now eh!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:35 AM   #117
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Looks like Belle and Herb's is reopening as "The Butterfly Cabinet" in mid-February. It all sounds a bit cloak and dagger in terms of why everything went the way it did though...
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:54 PM   #118
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Work appears to have started in earnest on Akbars. I'll try to grab a photo next time I'm passing.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM   #119
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Work appears to have started in earnest on Akbars. I'll try to grab a photo next time I'm passing.
So its definately happening?

I went to Akbar's in Boro on monday night, it was class as always - it NEEDS to open in Newcastle, if only to save me from travelling to Boro
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM   #120
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Also am i right in assuming this is where it will be?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...250.07,,0,3.89
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
café, cafes, chinese restaurants, chip shops, fast food, food, indian restaurants, mcdonalds, newcastle, newcastle retail, restaurant, restaurants, take away, take aways, wimpy