daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #1
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

BOOKS - about Newcastle and the North East

Share your favourite/best loved/most interesting books.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #2
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

For me, top of the heap is the incomparable 'Kiddar's Luck' by Jack Common.

If you ever wanted to know what it was like growing up in early 20th century Newcastle, you could have no better guide.

This must be one of the best hundred books of the last century - that it is so little known is disgraceful.

Scans hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 23rd, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #3
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I recently bought the Newcastle and Gateshead: Pevsner City Guide, which I think is a great book full of lots of information.

A couple of example pages . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 29th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #4
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Borders in Silverlink are doing 40% off all local books.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

The Viz.
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #6
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Been one of my 'lifelong' hobbies, collecting and reading books on (mainly) Newcastle. They are reference books mainly.

I'll opt out of this thread though, I think, as for the above reason I don't think I have one that is my actual favourite.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:05 AM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Having said that I would 'opt out' in the above post, on reflection I have a fair few books that I could usefully mention on this thread.

In 1967 my parents were given a book called "Historic Architecture of Newcastle upon Tyne, by Bruce Allsopp". I read it at the time, and it was my first real introduction to the architecture of our great City.

As a typical kid, I hadn't noticed much until then!

I now have their copy, which is shown below.

Historic Architecture of Newcastle upon Tyne
Bruce Allsopp
Oriel Press Ltd

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 30th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

I quite enjoyed this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newcastle-Up.../dp/186077167X

You can buy it at the tourist office in Central Arcade.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM   #9
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

The story of Richard Grainger who transformed the 'coal hole of the north' to a town of great splendour - a transformation which created the streets and buildings which still form the heart of the modern city. Richard Grainger - "the extraordinary magician" - was at the centre of a revolution which whirled Newcastle out of its medieval inheritance into a bold future of Georgian elegance and Victorian prosperity. Supported by English Partnerships. In Conjunction with the Grainger Town Project.

available for one pence on amazon.co.uk
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM   #10
hollow man

Cheers Johnny, I might get that!
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Managed to 'persuade' people that I needed to have two books given to me this Christmas!

One was the Pevsner Guide, and the other was this one . . .

I would strongly recommend them BOTH.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
You know what I have yet to see?

Some really great night time shots of the city centre from the sky with the the Quayside a glow, Greys monument all lit up etc etc, as well as the whole of Tyneside perhaps taken from the mouth of the Tyne to capture the entire urban area. If anyone knows of any do let me know!
The below book might be of interest, it has some good 'entire urban area' shots, though not taken from the exact direction you suggest.

I have some good "Newcastle at Night" photos, but not too many are 'aerial' ones, but I will put those that I do have in a "Newcastle at Night" collection, on the Newcastle Metro Area Photography thread

There are no night time photos in the below book, but it is a VERY good book. The photos are pretty up to date, as it was only published last year. LOVE that bright blue Metro bridge . . as it now is . . on the cover! (see below).

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 11th, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #13
hollow man

Thanks Historian!, yeah I know of that book I actually pretty much read the entire thing in Waterstones the other week!!! , It's great!!

Take that shot you posted of the front cover, I would love to see that same shot taken at night time.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM   #14
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Thanks Historian!, yeah I know of that book I actually pretty much read the entire thing in Waterstones the other week!!! , It's great!!

Take that shot you posted of the front cover, I would love to see that same shot taken at night time.
Not all aerial photos, unfortunately, but I have just posted all the "Newcastle at Night" photos that I have, that I can find at the moment, on the Newcastle Metro Area Photography thread . .
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM   #15
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

This one is pretty good too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newcastle-Ga...2464104&sr=1-2. I'm sure someone on here recommended it a while back.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #16
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
This one is pretty good too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newcastle-Ga...2464104&sr=1-2. I'm sure someone on here recommended it a while back.
I agree with that recommendation - SO here it is . . .

ALSO:

I hae been thinking (always a dangerous sign, I'm told . . ) about this thread.

It occurred to me that one way to keep it active, which could also prove to be quite useful to people, is to ensure that we post on here at least once a week, by choosing a "BOOK OF THE WEEK", every week!

Anyone who wants (first come first served) can post their chosen book on here!

In fact, there can be as many 'books of the week' every week as people want, we don't just have to keep it at ONE. Perhaps each book could have a short 'review' written on it, and publishing details, etc.

Just a thought . . anyway I'll start it off this week, see what you all think?

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 11 January 2010.

My own review . . .

Published in 2006, by the Bluecoat Press. A truly fantastic book for lovers of Newcastle architecture, though a tad expensive at £25 (when I got it). Full of lots of information, in great detail. It starts from MEDIEVAL times, in Chapter One, and ends up right in the present day, in Chapter Eight. The book is a massive 383 pages long. The BEST thing (for me) though, is the PHOTOGRAPHS. They are all of very good quality, and some of them I have not seen before. An excellent book, in my opinion.

Another Review, this one is off Amazon . . .

This book is a monumental and soundly researched work which brings into evidence the wealth and range of architecture in one of the UK's most attractive big cities. Newcastle is a spectacular city, as most of us know. Splendidly imposing late-Georgian thoroughfares like Grey Street, widely recognised as one of Europe's finest city streets, spectacular bridges spanning the River Tyne, and state-of-the art modern architecture such as the tilting Millennium Bridge and the Sage Music Centre on the Gateshead bank of the river, are presented along with the most significant buildings from all periods of history, all beautifully illustrated with detailed descriptions from highly qualified experts. I highly recommend this book to all those interested in Britain's architectural heritage, and congratulate the publishers Bluecoat for this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newcastle-Ga.../dp/1904438296

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 29th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #17
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Tom Faulkner's a lovely bloke, he lectured us on Architectural History. He can't control a class for toffee (at the beginning of the first lecture one of his first comments was that we should remember that "you're really not meant to walk out of lectures half way through"), but he's such a nice old guy that people in my year tended to behave relatively well purely for that reason.

He really does know his stuff though, you'd get on brilliantly with him I reckon Historian! His lectures were a bit dry if you're not interested in Architectural History, but thankfully I've always had an interest in the subject so it wasn't too bad at all.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #18
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Remember, we can have as many "BOOKS OF THE WEEK" that we want, every week! But, here is my choice for this week.

Book of the Week - W/C Monday 18 January 2010 . . .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Byker-Sirkka...3807447&sr=1-2

Byker, by Sirkka-Lisa Konttinen, published 1985 by Bloodaxe Books Ltd. Still available on eBay and at Amazon (see LINK).

If you like to see the 'social history' of our great city, then this book will appeal to you. For me personally, this book was an opportunity to look back nostalgically at a great part of my childhood. I never lived in Byker, but I spent a lot of time there (as I have said on this forum before) as many of my best mates came from there, and my 'very best' mates mother used to look after me very well with food and drink ('Dandelion & Burdock', which we never had at home!!) I have written previously about the 'endless' games of football, with a TENNIS ball, out the back (very skilful, with a tennis ball . . ) that we seemed to play every evening and weekend. That is just what it was like, and some of the photos in this book really capture that feeling, for me.

I feel I know everyone in this book, though I don't think I actually met any of them! When this area was demolished and the Byker Wall and houses behind it (which I also like, actually) were built, it was very sad. But, most of my mates families kept living close to eachother in Heaton (in the 'Tynemouth Close' area) or back in the new Byker itself.
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #19
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

im sure ive seen some of those pictures in the side gallery before
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
im sure ive seen some of those pictures in the side gallery before
You will have. They have had a lot of very good photographic exhibitions at the Side Gallery over the years.

http://www.amber-online.com/exhibiti...s-1977-to-1999

Tags
book, books, culture, education, england, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, library, local history, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle upon tyne, study, united kingdom