search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #61
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1553

Old Whitley Bay postcards inspire a new book
Apr 13 2010 by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle

Some old picture postcards have provided the spark for 83-year-old Bill Mood’s memories of life in a seaside town.

Bill’s son, Mike Mood, acquired a few cards of Whitley Bay as part of his hobby of collecting items with a postal theme. As Mike carried on finding more cards, Bill remembered the stories that went with them.

Mike ended up with 500 Whitley Bay cards, which led Bill to write a book based on his recollections.

Having a Wonderful Time at Whitley Bay has now been published by Summerhill Books at £4.99.

It details what life was like in the seaside town from when Bill’s family moved there from Sunderland in 1935.

Bill’s father had lost his job when the Wearside shipyards closed, and the family knew Whitley Bay from holidays spent at the home of his mother’s school friend.

In the pre-foreign holiday package days of the 1930s-1950s, Whitley Bay was a busy resort, with thousands of day trippers and holidaymakers coming there for their annual holidays.

Bill, who, like Mike, lives in Whitley Bay, said: “ When Mike showed me the first cards, it brought back the memories. I started off writing captions for the cards. I never thought I would write a book.”

He remembers Scottish holidaymakers arriving at Whitley Bay station by direct train from Glasgow, and the workers – mainly girls – from the Borders mill towns of Peebles, Hawick and Galashields.

There were also hundreds of people who came to Whitley Bay from the mill towns of Yorkshire.

“It was very busy. Dozens and dozens of houses took in visitors. Many a woman bought a wash stand in April and sold it again October,” said Bill.

Describing the book project, Mike said: “It all started when, rooting around a junk stall, I found a postcard of Whitley Bay. I showed it to dad, and got ‘I remember that!’ and a story about something on the card.

“I ended up buying cards for the stories. Gradually, I started to hear stories of Whitley Bay that had never surfaced in the previous 40-odd years.

“I suggested that maybe he should record all this. It is the story of what it was like to grow up in a town in its heyday, in the golden era of the seaside resort.”

Mike had plenty of cards to go at, as so many were printed to cater for the tide of visitors.

“When you look at some of the cards, there are thousands of people on them,” said Mike.

“Also in the early 20th Century, people had huge collections of postcards, which have turned out to be a great medium for reflecting social change.”

Bill recalls how, after a year in work clothes, visitors would dress up for their Whitley Bay holiday.

Some premises advertised board and residence, and others had signs saying simply “apartments”, which meant holidaymakers would bring their own food for the landlady to cook.

Bill made some pocket money by using his bogey to take visitors’ luggage to the station.

Holidaymakers could hire rowing boats from the beach, or pay a shilling to be taken for a round trip to St Mary’s Island.

On the beach, men carrying big wickerwork baskets threaded between the visitors, selling everything from buckets and spades to sun glasses and fourpenny novels.

Bill said: “The pace of life now has changed. Whitley Bay was once the main shopping area but now people go to Newcastle and retail parks.

“It is now a dormitory town. Perhaps some entrepreneur will come along to resurrect the potential which is there, but will need to have those wonderful sunny summers when the sky and the sea were blue and when everyone was having a wonderful time at Whitley Bay.”

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #62
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 19th April 2010.

With the entire commercial aircraft fleet of the UK and most of Northern Europe 'grounded' at the moment by Icelandic Volcanic Dust, it seemed somehow appropriate to choose this book, this week!!

Small Enough to Conquer the Sky (Jim Denyer, Mr Newcastle Airport)
John Sleight
Newcastle upon Tyne City Libraries & Arts

The history of Newcastle Airport, told as part of the 'Life Story' of Jimmy Denyer, the WW2 fighter pilot who became manager of Newcastle Aiport for nearly 40 years. He became known in the region, nationally and internationally as MR NEWCASTLE AIRPORT, for many of those years!

My own brief experience of him took place (where else!) at the Aero Club, which (many years before) had been the original Terminal Building, away at the other end of the airport to the current terminal. My own boss (of an important organisation at the airport) was retiring in the late 80s. They were very good friends, and I remember a laughing Jimmy Denyer "thanking him for handing him back the airport!"

He was certainly a character, and without him Newcastle International Airport may not have developed into one of the UKs largest airports, as it is now. As is always the case in any 'success story' it is about vital decisions taken at vital times, that seem simple and logical in hindsight, but never are at the time!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 26th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #63
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 4

Good choice NH .. I worked at Newcastle Airport for quite a few years within engineering maintenance. I now work for a subsidery of BAA so still visit NCL airport often on various callouts etc and still have many friends there. During one of these callouts I ended up discussing this book.Eventually borrowing it from a 'groundstar' staff member. A great read
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #64
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Book celebrates NUFC and Toon Army
Apr 24 2010 by Tony Henderson, The Journal

As Newcastle United are crowned champions of the Championship, the club’s historian Paul Joannou will reflect that at least one aspect of the game has not changed over a century.

That is the boundless bedrock support for United.

Paul, whose new book in the When Football Was Football series is out this week, lists the changes which have come about.

They include all-seater stadia, corporate hospitality, the massed ranks of foreign players, billionaire owners from abroad, astronomical players’ wages, and kick-off times shuffled to suit television.

For his book Newcastle United: A Nostalgic Look at a Century of the Club, from Haynes Publishing at £18.99, Paul was given access to the extensive picture libraries of Trinity Mirror, which owns The Journal, Evening Chronicle and Sunday Sun.

REST OF THIS ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-26306874/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 26th, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #65
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 26th April 2010.

This weeks book choice ties in with todays post on the Historic Newcastle thread, about our European Fairs Cup victory in 1969 . . .

LINK - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=963

Our Fabulous Fairs Cup.
Written by the Newcastle United players who won it.
Newcastle United FC.
1969 (Price 3/6).

A new book about our Fairs Cup win was published last year (2009) to celebrate the 40th anniversary of that success. THIS book is the original one, as written and published in 1969.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 30th, 2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #66
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 3rd May 2010.

The Library Book.
Newcastle City Council in association with Ryder Architecture.
Tyne Bridge Publishing.

I was in the new (what I still think of as) Central Library the other day, researching through the Chronicles and Journals from 1957 (as discussed at 'Post 341' on the Newcastle as it Might Have Been' thread) when I found the above, fairly recently published, book.

I had never heard of it before, and hadn't seen it publicised anywhere.

It is an excellent book, chronicling the history of our last three Central Libraries (and I know they are now to be called "City Libraries"!) with some excellent photos and narratives about all three of them.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 30th, 2010 at 01:56 AM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #67
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #68
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 17th May 2010.

An "Official City Guide" is produced every so often by the City Council (or by 'the Corporation' as they were known back in 1959) and all of them are interesting and revealing of their time, by the photos and (often) the advertisements that are featured in them. This first one is from 1959.

Newcastle upon Tyne Official City Guide 1959.
Newcastle Corporation.
Andrew Reid & Co Ltd.

This last photo is of a RARE advertisement for one of Newcastles "less famous" old Department Stores. HOWARDS was featured on the "Department Stores of Newcastle" thread, and since it closed in the late 1970s (along Clayton Street West near the Centre for Life) the building has actually remained empty EVER SINCE! It is still 'up for sale' today, in 2010 . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 7th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #69
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 24th May 2010.

An "Official City Guide" is produced every so often by the City Council (or by 'the Corporation' as they were still often known, back in 1973) and all of them are interesting and revealing of their time, by the photos and (often) the advertisements that are featured in them. This second one is from 1973.

Newcastle upon Tyne Official City Guide 1973.
Newcastle Corporation.

Above is the FIRST known use of "The Perceptual map" from the Newcastle Art thread - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=40

I had always thought that my 1977 newspaper cutting about the Perceptual Map (shown on the Newcastle Art thread) was from when it was first drawn.

I seem to have been wrong about that, as the inside cover of this 1973 'City Guide' states, "The Perceptual map appearing in the centre pages was prepared especially for this 1973 Guide, by Dr Gerald H Fisher, Department of Psychology, University of Newcastle upon Tyne".

This is the first (and only) perceptual map that I have seen which does NOT have the CME (Central Motorway East) on it, as that was not actually completed until 1975.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 7th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:32 AM   #70
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 31st May 2010.

An "Official City Guide" is produced every so often by the City Council and all of them are interesting and revealing of their time, by the photos and (often) the advertisements that are featured in them. This third group of books is from the 1980s.

In the 1980s the City Council were constantly 'working on' a major new City Guide, I know because I knew someone involved in it. They never quite achieved it, and instead they ended up doing a number of small leaflets, as well as (principally) the FOUR smaller books, below . . .

Newcastle upon Tyne Official City Guides of the 1980s.
1 - Visitors Guide to Newcastle
2 - City Trail, Historic Newcastle
3 - Guide to QUAYSIDE Newcastle
4 - 100 Good Things about Tyneside

Newcastle City Council.
1981-1985.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 7th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #71
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 7th June 2010.

An "Official City Guide" is produced every so often by the City Council and all of them are interesting and revealing of their time, by the photos and (often) the advertisements that are featured in them. This fourth book is from the 1990s.

In the 1990s the Information & Publicity Department (I & P) of the City Council finally produced their major new City Guide. A number of versions of this large A4 size and thick (over 180 pages) guide were produced throughout the 1990s - this one is from 1996 . . .

Newcastle upon Tyne Official City Guide 1996.
I & P, City of Newcastle upon Tyne.
The British Publishing Co Ltd, Gloucester.

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #72
CDB00

Likes (Received): 17

Just look at all that lovely greenery on Northumberland Street on the Fenwicks advert!
CDB00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #73
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB00 View Post
Just look at all that lovely greenery on Northumberland Street on the Fenwicks advert!

Is there not much greenery on Northumberland Street these days?

I know they have planted some trees (into the ground, as opposed to into 'plant boxes') at various points.

That is one of two things that (parts of) our City Centre lacks - mature trees.

The other is, decent sized fountains!

In my opinion!!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 27th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #74
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 14th June 2010.

An "Official City Guide" is produced every so often by the City Council and all of them are interesting and revealing of their time, by the photos and (often) the advertisements that are featured in them. This fifth & final selection of books, is from the 2000s

In the 2000s there doesn't seem to have been a continuation of the 1990s "big Official City Guide" and there seems to have been a return to the 1980s style of publishing smaller booklet-type official guides. These seem to have been produced (usually) annually, throughout the first ten years of our new century, as the below photo of four of them shows.

The 'noughties' also saw the arrival of the "NewcastleGateshead" concept, rather than just Newcastle. All of the below four official guides are produced under that joint banner . . .

Newcastle upon Tyne Official City Guides of the 2000s.
www.NewcastleGateshead.com
The Newcastle Gateshead Initiative (NGi).
2000 - 2010.

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #75
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 21st June 2010.

The Hoppings - Newcastle's Town Moor Fair.
Paul Lanagan.
Publisher - to be established.

I have not seen a copy of this book yet, it is being launched in a cabin at the Forsyth Path entrance to the Hoppings, on Saturday June 19th 2010, at 10am, where Paul Lanagan (the author) will be signing copies of the book.

This new book chronicles the history of the Hoppings, from the 1882 Temperance Festival through to the present mega-fairground. It contains hundreds of photos covering the Victorian steam machines and modern Millennium thrill rides, and features rides, sideshows, faces from the people who make the fairground what it is, plus an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at how the Hoppings is set up

This new book was also reviewed in the Evening Chronicle of 18th June 2010 . .

New book casts light on Hoppings funfair
Jun 18 2010 by Vicky Robson, Evening Chronicle

A New book about the famous Hoppings funfair, opening on the Town Moor, in Newcastle today, brings back to life its carnival atmosphere from yesteryear.

The Hoppings is a Geordie tradition which dates back more than a century.

Penned by teaching assistant Paul Lanagan, the book, The Hoppings: Newcastle’s Town Moor Fair, provides a glimpse into past attractions, from its side shows and showmen, to its modern day mechanics.

It documents the rise of the popular funfair, which originated as the Temperance Festival in 1882, up to its present day reputation as Europe’s biggest fairground.

Paul, 28, of Burradon, North Tyneside, said: “The book is a behind the scenes look at the fairground, how it’s set up, about the people and the showmen.

“It looks at the early years when the Hoppings was known as the Temperance Festival, with the ‘freak’ side shows and oddities and has lots of photographs.

“I went to Hoppings as a youngster because my grandad used to wrestle there, so that was quite an unforgettable experience from my youth. “It evolved as a distraction for people from the races where all the debauchery was thought to take place, into Europe’s biggest fairground.and it’s become a tradition for people here, who were once taken by their parents and now they take their own children.

“But I think a lot of it is to do with its atmosphere too. There is something there for everybody. There is always something to do and see and its still as popular with people today as it was generations ago.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-26679060/

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 30th, 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #76
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 28th June 2010.

Jesmond - from Mines to Mansions.
Alan Morgan.
Tyne Bridge Publishing.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 30th, 2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #77
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 5th July 2010.

Making An Angel.
Antony Gormley.
Booth-Clibborn Editions.

It has been interesting researching through the various threads on this forum recently, in order to compile the new 'Index'.

In doing so, I have noticed aspects of North East 'Urban Life' (and subjects) that we have not covered as much as I actually thought we had - from a 'historical' (if nothing else) perspective.

One of them is THE ANGEL OF THE NORTH.

So, I thought I could start (at least) to rectify this a little bit with this week's book choice, a really excellent book (by Antony Gormley himself) from 1998 . . .

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #78
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

From the Evening Chronicle of Wednesday 7th July 2010 . . .

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #79
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 12th July 2010.

Buildings of Grainger Town.
David Lovie.
Grainger Town Partnership.
1997 and 2001.

If you are interested in any, or all, of the 'individual buildings' in the City Centre (in the GraingerTown Area, specifically, in this case) then THIS is the book for you!!

Each building down each of the streets is listed, with a photo and short history of each one.

I find that I have two (slightly different) copies of this book. The first is from 1997 (called the 'Grainger Town Bicentenary Edition') and the second is from 2001 (called the 'Millenium Edition') . . .

Old July 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #80
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

'Book of the Week' - W/C Monday 19th July 2010.

Newcastle Old and New.
Malcolm L Scaife.
E P Publishing Ltd.

There are quite a few books that show Contrast Photos of Newcastle 'as it was' alongside a new photo of Newcastle 'as it is now'.

This is the first of that group of books.

I actually (personally) like this one the best, as it came out in 1974, so in addition to the two ('then and now') photos of a location shown in the book, when I look through it now, I have a third photo in my minds eye - of what it looks like another 36 years 'further on' in 2010!

St Thomas' Church Grounds in 1930 (Lovaine Hall on the right) / The same view in 1974 (the Civic Centre on the right).

Barras Bridge in 1930 (Sandyford Rd junction & Barras Bridge Hotel) / The same view in 1974 (CME construction one year from completion).

New Bridge St covered Goods Station in 1930 / The same view in 1974.

In all honesty, I could have picked any of the 98 photos in this book, to use to illustrate it in this post. The book is full of rare and historic photos (the 'new' photos, as I say, are also 'historic' now!!) and of course, you also have the third photo to enjoy!

If you haven't got this book, I recommend that you try to get hold of a copy, I'm sure (if you cannot find it in a second hand book shop or on eBay) then it will be in the Central Library/City Library.

Tags
book, books, culture, education, england, historic newcastle, historic north east eng, history, library, local history, newcastle, newcastle photos, newcastle upon tyne, study, united kingdom