daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #1
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

City Centre - Smaller Works, Projects and Developments, without their own thread

This thread can be used to post small developments in the city centre that aren't big enough to warrant their own thread and might fly 'under the radar' as a result.

I'll start off with the refurbishment of Forth House into a Chinese Church. This was a controversial development 7 years ago that envisaged knocking the building down but was thankfully stalled by an organised group of locals. The building dates from 1770 and was apparently used by Thomas Bewick, one of Tyneside's greatest sons.

The current scheme keeps the main part of the building but wants to demolish the Pink Lane facade and replace it with brickwork and rendered blockwork. This scheme is pretty cheap - simply reusing the Mosedale Gillat plans from 5 years ago, and is well underway as the Chinese Church sign is already up and internal work has been started.

current facade:

Proposed replacement:

Photo of the derelict Pink Lane elevation:

News from 2003:
Quote:
Ancient Tyneside building is saved

Nov 15 2003 By Peter Young, The Evening Chronicle

One of Newcastle's historic buildings, with strong links to the famous engraver Thomas Bewick, is to be saved from bulldozers.

Plans to demolish Forth House, in the city's central conservation area, and believed to date to the 18th Century led to an outcry.

But the owners have now revealed major changes to redevelopment plans - saving the original building.

The city council approved plans to pull down Forth House and build a new six-storey block, with 10 flats and a Chinese Christian Church on the site, which includes the New Emperor Restaurant, last year.

But architects representing the owners say a new scheme is now been drawn up to keep the original part of Forth House, while an adjacent derelict two-storey building will be demolished. Forth House is between Pink Lane and Bewick Street, close to St Mary's Catholic Cathedral within the Grainger Town regeneration area.

There were protests from conservationists, businesses and residents who claimed the scheme would spoil the historic character of the area and the setting of the cathedral, a grade one listed building designed more than 150 years ago by architect Augustus Pugin.

This year is the 250th anniversary of the birth of Thomas Bewick, a naturalist, artist, engraver, and illustrator whose work is world famous. He lived next door to Forth House and a new square was named after him in August. Members of the Bewick Society were among those angry at plans to pull down the building.

At first, Forth House was thought to date to the 19th Century but evidence has emerged that it featured on maps in 1770.

Jenny Gillatt, of architects Mosedale Gillatt, said: "Since we obtained planning permission the needs of the Chinese Christian Church have changed. Our client asked us for new proposals for the site. These will be based on the building containing only three flats. These flats will be largely for the use of the Church, which will operate from the ground and basement floors. Changes mean the original part of Forth House will be retained."
Sadly this scheme seems to have planning permission - latest applications made are simply to do with internal acoustics, so we can say goodbye to the Pink Lane part of the building.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1622

Building society starts work on flagship branch in city centre
Dec 16 2009 by Peter McCusker, The Journal

NEWCASTLE Building Society has started work on a new flagship branch in Newcastle city centre. The Northumberland Street branch, in what was previously occupied by a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, will serve as the society’s main branch presence in the city when it opens next spring.

A number of tenders have been completed for the construction and refurbishment work on the project, with the Newcastle choosing to work with a number of local firms.

The new branch will encompass a customer area of more than 2,000 sq ft over two floors with more staff and advisers than any other of its 36 branches in the UK and Gibraltar.

Newcastle Building Society chief executive Colin Seccombe said: “As one of the North East’s largest independent financial institutions, and a major regional employer, Newcastle Building Society remains committed both to our branch network and to our mutual heritage. Investing in this new state-of-the-art branch is clear proof of this commitment, as well as a dedication to continuing to improve services for our members.

“Securing this busy High Street location is great news for both the society and its members, who will have better access to our services and expert advice than ever before – we’ve long wanted a presence on Newcastle’s main shopping street and have designed our new flagship branch to include everything our members would want from it.

“Choosing to work with locally based suppliers in the development of the new branch is something we were very keen to do. We believe this reflects our mutual ethos and represents a significant investment back into the community.

“Trading conditions remain challenging for everyone, but the Newcastle is trading on a sound financial footing.”

NB - a copy of this article has also been posted in the "City Centre Retail" thread, in connection with the loss of another 'retail shop' to become a BANK!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

City's once thriving Quayside, is now showing signs of fresh activity.

2010 could see the Quayside’s rebirth as the nightlife detination of Newcastle, say North East property experts.

1 - Julies . .

In September this year, Sanderson Weatherall let the former Julies Nightclub to Stein and plans for a German beer-themed venue to revive this location’s fortunes are in place.

2 - The Cooperage . .

We have just completed on the sale of another iconic business, The Cooperage. A favourite for many, it has been acquired by Vibrant Ventures who among other businesses operates on the diamond strip further into town.

3 - Buttress . .

The former Buttress pub is also being redeveloped, providing a restaurant operation.

4 - The Waterline . .

Further along the Quayside, the Waterline has been placed under offer.

This new buzz of activity is testament to the fact that operators are taking advantage of affordable properties, making the business case for the revival of premises that bit brighter – a positive move towards the Quayside reinventing itself once again to draw back the crowds.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; December 19th, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
This thread can be used to post small developments in the city centre that aren't big enough to warrant their own thread and might fly 'under the radar' as a result.

I'll start off with the refurbishment of Forth House into a Chinese Church. This was a controversial development 7 years ago that envisaged knocking the building down but was thankfully stalled by an organised group of locals. The building dates from 1770 and was apparently used by Thomas Bewick, one of Tyneside's greatest sons.

The current scheme keeps the main part of the building but wants to demolish the Pink Lane facade and replace it with brickwork and rendered blockwork. This scheme is pretty cheap - simply reusing the Mosedale Gillat plans from 5 years ago, and is well underway as the Chinese Church sign is already up and internal work has been started.

current facade:

Proposed replacement:

Photo of the derelict Pink Lane elevation:

News from 2003:

Quote:
Ancient Tyneside building is saved

Nov 15 2003 By Peter Young, The Evening Chronicle

One of Newcastle's historic buildings, with strong links to the famous engraver Thomas Bewick, is to be saved from bulldozers.

Plans to demolish Forth House, in the city's central conservation area, and believed to date to the 18th Century led to an outcry.

But the owners have now revealed major changes to redevelopment plans - saving the original building.

The city council approved plans to pull down Forth House and build a new six-storey block, with 10 flats and a Chinese Christian Church on the site, which includes the New Emperor Restaurant, last year.

But architects representing the owners say a new scheme is now been drawn up to keep the original part of Forth House, while an adjacent derelict two-storey building will be demolished. Forth House is between Pink Lane and Bewick Street, close to St Mary's Catholic Cathedral within the Grainger Town regeneration area.

There were protests from conservationists, businesses and residents who claimed the scheme would spoil the historic character of the area and the setting of the cathedral, a grade one listed building designed more than 150 years ago by architect Augustus Pugin.

This year is the 250th anniversary of the birth of Thomas Bewick, a naturalist, artist, engraver, and illustrator whose work is world famous. He lived next door to Forth House and a new square was named after him in August. Members of the Bewick Society were among those angry at plans to pull down the building.

At first, Forth House was thought to date to the 19th Century but evidence has emerged that it featured on maps in 1770.

Jenny Gillatt, of architects Mosedale Gillatt, said: "Since we obtained planning permission the needs of the Chinese Christian Church have changed. Our client asked us for new proposals for the site. These will be based on the building containing only three flats. These flats will be largely for the use of the Church, which will operate from the ground and basement floors. Changes mean the original part of Forth House will be retained."

Sadly this scheme seems to have planning permission - latest applications made are simply to do with internal acoustics, so we can say goodbye to the Pink Lane part of the building.
Yes, I remember all this, and was very pleased when the main building was saved. However, I have mixed feelings about the 'Pink Lane extension'.

I would say that providing the replacement area of building is sympathetic, and of good quality, it would be actually very good to see that stretch back to being fully used and looking more prosperous.

I seem to remember the original plans (I have them somewhere) were far more draconean!
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
gregstone

Likes (Received): 25

There is some interior work going on at present there. Keith from the Jazz Club is most put out about this scheme and regularly complains to me about it when I see him in town.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #6
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
There is some interior work going on at present there. Keith from the Jazz Club is most put out about this scheme and regularly complains to me about it when I see him in town.
i just walked past two hours ago and it looked, from what they were doing inside, as if they were keeping the existing extension, though the pp says they are demolishing it.

Is the Jazz Club still in business? Ive never seen the doors open apart from a couple of times a few years back. always looked empty to me.
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #7
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
City's once thriving Quayside, is now showing signs of fresh activity.

2010 could see the Quayside’s rebirth as the nightlife detination of Newcastle, say North East property experts.

1 - Julies . .

In September this year, Sanderson Weatherall let the former Julies Nightclub to Stein and plans for a German beer-themed venue to revive this location’s fortunes are in place.

2 - The Cooperage . .

We have just completed on the sale of another iconic business, The Cooperage. A favourite for many, it has been acquired by Vibrant Ventures who among other businesses operates on the diamond strip further into town.

3 - Buttress . .

The former Buttress pub is also being redeveloped, providing a restaurant operation.

4 - The Waterline . .

Further along the Quayside, the Waterline has been placed under offer.

This new buzz of activity is testament to the fact that operators are taking advantage of affordable properties, making the business case for the revival of premises that bit brighter – a positive move towards the Quayside reinventing itself once again to draw back the crowds.

Also the premises adjacent to the Swing Bridge (used to be 'Casa' and then Tavistocks and then something else i think - nothing seems to last too long there!) is to be relaunched as a 'Charlie's Champagne Bar' (Charlie's? Really?)

A Champagne bar? Dont they know there's a recession on, the ostentatious [email protected]!? I cant imagine i'll be darkening it's doors anytime soon....
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #8
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Hmmm... If I ever felt that I wanted to go for a night of expensive champagne, I'm not sure I'd choose to do so in a place called "Charlie's". Utterly crap name. The German pub sounds interesting though?!

Either way the Quayside has been on its backside for quite some time now, so something needs to change.

Good to see that building on Pink Lane being saved, although I think that the existing extension isn't bad from what I remember of it. Is it real stone?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Also the premises adjacent to the Swing Bridge (used to be 'Casa' and then Tavistocks and then something else i think - nothing seems to last too long there!) is to be relaunched as a 'Charlie's Champagne Bar' (Charlie's? Really?)

A Champagne bar? Dont they know there's a recession on, the ostentatious [email protected]!? I cant imagine i'll be darkening it's doors anytime soon....
Before that it was called "Hanrahans", we used to go there for office parties in the 90s!! It was rumoured to have a ghost!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 3rd, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #10
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 43

Well I think it is good that the quayside is starting to pick up a bit- maybe the new type of bars there are going to attract a more older clinetel rather than the party crowd. Not a bad thing.

I have to admit though I went into Flynns on the quayside at the weekend (long story) and my good God it is a bloody hole! I dunno how it stays open it was deserted.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #11
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 23

Is Keith from the Jazz Club, Captain Birdseye? Walked past him the other day. My university days are punctuated by him standing at the bottom of the steps at Kings Walk and gruffly thrusting flyers into my hands. Never actually been. Meant to several times, but we always end up picking nights when it's closed. I think they should chnage the way they operate. If it actually looked open occasionally it would be good, also I think they still do the thing where you have to pay in, but you get free burger and chips with that. Why not scrap that, people can eat in their own home, and walk in off the street to see some Jazz.
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #12
gregstone

Likes (Received): 25

The gentleman with the white beard and duffel coat, yes. The serving of food is something to do with allowing them to have a late entertainment licence.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #13
nadj

Likes (Received): 4

The Jazz cafe always looks closed even when it's busy - you need to ignore the padlock on the door and give it a good hard yank. I went there one Friaday a couple of weeks ago and was lucky to get a seat. They've stopped doing the burgers, but still charging the same to get in, which is really daft, but doesn't seem to be stopping people from filling the place up most weekends.

Had a good chat with Keith about the place a while ago - apparently it was a brothel at one point but can't remember when he said that was.
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #14
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not but here it is. Planning permission has been granted conditionally for 108-110 Grainger street to have a 3 storey extension added at the back for extra retail. I believe this is the building that usually has "the Xmas box" shop?

Quote:
The proposal is to demolish the rear portion of the existing building as shown on the floor plans and erect a 3 storey extension to the existing retail space.

The proposal will result in an additional 557 sqm of retail floor space at basement, ground level and first floor levels. This will increase the total retail floor area to 1476 sqm.
http://planningapplications.newcastl...=KOXA92BS09700

Seems like its to become a decent sized unit. I wonder if a retailer has already put their name to it?
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #15
johnnypd

that is interesting TownplanningNE - might be just the boost that part of town sorely needs. will keep an eye on anyone linked to the new, larger premises.

quick question - does anyone have a pic of the small building that was completed last year on leazes lane/strawberry place? i think it was designed as an extension to the hyena cafe and houses a bar at ground floor called Soho
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #16
TownPlanningNE

Another development I have came across that I previously hadn't heard of. It was refused permission on similar grounds to Zurich House was. However that was quickly corrected and re-submitted so I'm guessing this isn't the last we've heard of this one either then.

Quote:
2008/1380/01/DET | Erection of 4 buildings 4, 5 and 6 storey's in height comprising residential apartments (88 in total) (Class C3), offices (Class B1) and 2 commercial units (Classes A1/A2/A3/B1) and provision of 114 car parking spaces | Land To The East Of The Free Trade Inn Saint Lawrence Road Newcastle upon Tyne
http://planningapplications.newcastl...=K5HPS0BS01I00

Some elevation diagrams are available with the planning application on the link above.
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #17
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Another development I have came across that I previously hadn't heard of. It was refused permission on similar grounds to Zurich House was. However that was quickly corrected and re-submitted so I'm guessing this isn't the last we've heard of this one either then.

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=K5HPS0BS01I00

Some elevation diagrams are available with the planning application on the link above.
i think that is the first project listed in this post of the Ouseburn thread. pretty sure it has been approved -

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...78&postcount=1
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #18
TownPlanningNE

Yeah it is that. However on that application it says a decision to refuse it was made on 29th December 2009. So that is confusing...
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #19
johnnypd

Quote:
Yeah it is that. However on that application it says a decision to refuse it was made on 29th December 2009. So that is confusing...
that must be right then. i got the info from the website of the people who did the visualisations and they must be wrong:

http://www.eyelevel.biz/

(quite a few good bits of architectural eye candy on that website)
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #20
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 649

Quote:
I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not but here it is. Planning permission has been granted conditionally for 108-110 Grainger street to have a 3 storey extension added at the back for extra retail. I believe this is the building that usually has "the Xmas box" shop?

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=KOXA92BS09700

Seems like its to become a decent sized unit. I wonder if a retailer has already put their name to it?
How they are allowed to even touch such a great building is beyond me.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
central newcastle, city centre, development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, newcastle city centre