search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #41
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

It looks more like an MOT garage than a bar! Might be interesting, depends what the facade material is I guess. Not sure it'll age well though
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #42
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1199

the development to renovate forth house as a chinese church has progressed quite a bit and it actually looks like they are keeping the pink lane facade.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM   #43
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1553

Ward Hadaway helps St Nicholas Cathedral project
Apr 1 2010 by Iain Laing, The Journal

LAW firm Ward Hadaway has helped with an ambitious project to revitalise the surroundings of one of Tyneside’s most historic buildings. The Newcastle firm has worked with the Dean and Chapter of St Nicholas Cathedral on the Heart of the City Project, which aims to bring new life to the area surrounding the Newcastle cathedral and bring out the best in the iconic structure.

As part of the scheme, the cathedral has acquired 42-44 Mosley Street, a building next to St Nicholas Cathedral designed by Newcastle Theatre Royal designer Benjamin Green. Property experts from Ward Hadaway, led by partner and head of commercial development Lesley Fairclough, worked on a pro-bono basis to advise the Dean and Chapter on the successful acquisition of the building after being contacted by John Squires OBE, chairman of motor vehicle dealers and Ward Hadaway client Benfield Motor Group and a lay canon of St Nicholas. Ward Hadaway’s licensing team also helped the Dean and Chapter – again on a pro-bono basis – by ensuring that adverts for a late-night venue near to the cathedral do not impinge on the cathedral’s bounds.

Over the next five years, the cathedral plans to transform 42-44 Mosley Street into a centre for its activities and a gateway to the cathedral itself. A shop and advice desk are planned for the ground-floor unit while the remaining three floors will include an administrative centre, conference facilities and meeting spaces, a base for Newcastle’s Street Pastor project and offices for voluntary agencies.

Read More - http://www.thejournal.co.uk/business...cholas-4459444

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; July 25th, 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:34 AM   #44
johnnypd

surprised no one has mentioned this, but Nepia House on the quayside, home to a shipping insurance firm, is undergiong renovation (even though it's only around a decade old!). The inside has been partially gutted and they are adding a new floor of offices on top of it as well as extending out above the surface carpark.

recent photo showing demoliton-

http://www.thompsonsofprudhoe.com/N3...-Quayside.html

before -

after -

Old April 21st, 2010, 01:52 AM   #45
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Wow- I'm surprised this one has slipped by us all! I had noticed the work going on down at the Quayside the other day but didn't think much of it. Looks quite a decent extension.
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #46
SCNewcastle

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Wow- I'm surprised this one has slipped by us all! I had noticed the work going on down at the Quayside the other day but didn't think much of it. Looks quite a decent extension.
- partly fixing the mistake the Development Corporation made in the first place in allowing the first new building on the East Quayside site to be such a bland and under-sized piece of business park architecture.
SCNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #47
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Haha - I saw that a few weeks ago, took a couple of photos of it, then totally forgot to mention it!
Old April 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #48
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

I'd say that's quite a big development! I virtually never go to the Quayside at the moment so would not have noticed that for a while. I think it looks unbalanced with the new addition.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #49
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
I'd say that's quite a big development! I virtually never go to the Quayside at the moment so would not have noticed that for a while. I think it looks unbalanced with the new addition.
i agree, somehow it just doesn't look right.

the design and access statement includes an alternative design that was drawn up but not used:

Old April 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #50
NewcastleStu

I think its mainly that it destroys the impression of symmetry in the building. It would probably look ok if it was the same at both ends.
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #51
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

I don't think that the existing building is of a particularly great quality in the first place, so this can't do that much harm.
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #52
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
the development to renovate forth house as a chinese church has progressed quite a bit and it actually looks like they are keeping the pink lane facade.

PHOTO, taken today . . .

Old May 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #53
TownPlanningNE

I've came across this application for a renewal of the following:

2005/0444/06/REN | Renewal of Planning Permission: Erection of 3, 4 and 5 storey office building with associated car parking (10 spaces) at basement level | Former Peacocks Medical Group Hanover Buildings Clavering Place Newcastle upon Tyne

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=L1ZTUPBS00900

Does anyone have any images of what this scheme was? Or can give me details of it's location? Even perhaps an idea of why they are seeking renewed permission?
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #54
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

Because the 5 years permission is about to expire. It is at the back of the station near to the Buccleuch site (or is it actually the Buccleuch site?)
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #55
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
Because the 5 years permission is about to expire. It is at the back of the station near to the Buccleuch site (or is it actually the Buccleuch site?)
Thanks for the info, can we therefore assume they are still looking to go ahead with this development? I'd be interested to see some images, is it not in the middle of Stephenson Quarter?
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #56
johnnypd

it's this development:

http://www.novaloca.com/property-det...68?search=true

the location would be where the trees are -

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...61.67,,0,-0.17
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #57
NewcastleStu

Is there development work going on at the Centre for Life? There are loads of portacabins and stuff in the square.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #58
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

It's being fitted out for the Doctor Who exhibition which opens at the end of the month.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #59
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
It's being fitted out for the Doctor Who exhibition which opens at the end of the month.
Details of the 'Dr Who Exhibition' at the Centre for Life, are given here on the Centre for Life Website . .

http://www.life.org.uk/life-science-...who-exhibition
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #60
NewcastleStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
That's a lot of stuff just for an exhibition! I like Dr. Who but I'm not sure if I'll go to that. About a tenner to see some props? Now if Karen Gillan was there...

Tags
central newcastle, city centre, development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, newcastle city centre