search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #21
Geordie Ahmed

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Okay, I'm asking again, for those of you who have not put across your views. Should this thread stay as it is?, or should it be split into 2, 1 for eating in Newcastle and 1 for the pubs/bars of Newcastle?
In my opinion it should be split since i have no interest in pubs/bars whilst i like eating
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #22
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I think it should be split. I suggested back on page 2 we should have threads for 'Drinking in Newcastle', 'Eating in Newcastle' and 'Entertainment in Newcastle'.
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #23
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

SPLIT PLEASE
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #24
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 41

best pubs- The Forth, The Hotspur, Crowne Posada, Bodega, Popolo's . Best buildings with pubs in- Wetherspoons, Castle Mile (new wetherspoons), Revolution, Barluga, Akenside.

New canny pub I have just discovered the Newton Park (i think thats whats it called) on Benton Road- been done out but it is still nice!

There are so many awful pubs we could go on for ages listing them.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #25
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 41

Just a bit of news- Saints hairdressers on Collingwood Street- the one opposite Revolution on the corner of Westgate Road- the one with the beautiful entrance with the blokes keeping the arch on their backs- has been given planning permission to change the current hairdressers to a bar/ lunch time dinner and to the convert the next door printers ?(who I assume has closed) into teh hairdressers. Not sure what hairdressers know about bars but their you go. The next door Stamp Exchange were up in arms. However what happened to stopping any new licenses in the city centre? Has this been scrapped now due to the NCC worry of cutting of their nose despite their face in terms of development during the recession?
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #26
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

I think it's more of a case of not granting more licences for nightclubs and such, rather then bars/resutrants etc. By the sounds of it, it sounds like a middle-upper class venue, rather then attracting the likes of stag/hen does, and I suspect would in that sense attract people who drink repsonibly, and won't be spewing their guts when walk out, or getting into any fights.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #27
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
I think it should be split. I suggested back on page 2 we should have threads for 'Drinking in Newcastle', 'Eating in Newcastle' and 'Entertainment in Newcastle'.
If the concensus is to split Restaurants and pubs, we will then have the three you suggest, as the separate 'entertainment thread' has already been set up . .

LINK - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=993831
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #28
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

so is someone going to establish a newcastle pubs/clubs/bars thread?
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #29
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
If the concensus is to split Restaurants and pubs, we will then have the three you suggest, as the separate 'entertainment thread' has already been set up . .

LINK - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=993831
Ah yes of course, I forgot we had set that one up! Thanks for reminded me NH! Just need to get this one split then!
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #30
Deebex

Quote:
I agree re. splitting the threads, but I'd propose 'Pubs of Newcastle' rather than 'Drinking in Newcastle'. The pubs here are much more than just drinking - well, the best ones are.
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #31
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebex View Post
I agree re. splitting the threads, but I'd propose 'Pubs of Newcastle' rather than 'Drinking in Newcastle'. The pubs here are much more than just drinking - well, the best ones are.
Deebex, you expressed an interest in the 'architecture' of pubs, did you see the 50 photos of the S&N pubs, earlier in this thread?
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #32
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
so is someone going to establish a newcastle pubs/clubs/bars thread?
We would need to ask the mods to transfer all the recent "pub related" posts from this thread, so (if that is to be the concensus) I would then ask the mods to set the new (Pubs) thread up, at the same time as they are doing that.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 8th, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #33
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

Yeah, I agree with other people, split food and drink. No point filling this thread up with everyone's favourite boozers
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #34
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

I see that one of the two very elegant (but dog rough) pubs flanking the old Greenmarket is in the process of being converted into an amusement arcade. Not the Clock, the other one - the fish bar? - facing the end of Nelson Street. Was that the Lord Collingwood?

The building is saved, but I can't say that having an amusement arcade instead of a dog-rough boozer is much of a gain.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #35
kieron79

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
best pubs- The Forth, The Hotspur, Crowne Posada, Bodega, Popolo's . Best buildings with pubs in- Wetherspoons, Castle Mile (new wetherspoons), Revolution, Barluga, Akenside.

New canny pub I have just discovered the Newton Park (i think thats whats it called) on Benton Road- been done out but it is still nice!

There are so many awful pubs we could go on for ages listing them.
Reckon I'd agree with those choices too, would probs throw in the Tanners, Head of Steam and Cluny into the mix.
A bar I used to love was called Bierrex, it is now called The Hancock and is an awful 'Scream' bar chain pub. When it was Bierexx it sold loads of imported beers and used to open really realy for breakfast on a Sunday. Spent many a Sunday after a hard night night clubbing pulling myself round and slowly feeling human again (mind it usually ended up in an all day drinking session!!) happy days!
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #36
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 22

Some of my favourite pubs: Forth, Bodega, Tilleys, North, Bridge Hotel, Bacchus, The vineyard.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't see what anyone likes about the Head of Steam. Maybe it's well run and has good beers, but it just feels like an overcrowded waiting room, with no interesting features, no views out, and no air. But each to their own I suppose.

Yeah, also quite like the Tanners and the Cluny, though whenever we decide to go to the Cluny, so does everyone else! Popolo's, Secco's, Alvino's are all very nice, but a little too up their own arse for me to consider them my favourites.

Not a fan of the Crown Posada really, I know it looks nice from the outside, and it's authentic and all that, but it's small and the dank has taken over a little too much for me. Also, they once refused to serve me because I'd 'had enough'. In reality, I'd had one pint, having just met up with some friends who were on an all day bender. They only agreed to serve me after having been persuaded by my considerably more pissed friends!

Not been in the Hotspur for years, used to enjoy a pint or two there in first year of uni, some 10 years ago, but not really been in since. I'm afraid to say that the Hancock, as horrible as it is, was my regular haunt when I was a student. It started off with sponsorship of the ski club, which I was involved with, and then it was always handy after late studio sessions. Since I've qualified, I've noticed quite how much it stinks!
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #37
kieron79

I know what you mean about Head of Steam but its just one of those bars that I have very fond memories of. I always used to go on a Sunday night with my best friend and we would sample the different beers/lagers (at the time it was the best selection!). We would always end up getting talking to some random people and have a laugh. I aint actually been in for a long while so its probs more sentimental value rather than it being a good pub.
For me the most beautiful bar is probs Revolution, the ceilings and pillars in that place are jaw dropping, HOWEVER in turns of a bar its bloody awful!!Full of stag and hen parties and IMPOSSIBLE to get served in, altghough its a nice place to pop into if (on the rare occasion) I'm in town on a sat afternoon. Again getting all sentimental I remember before it was Revolution it was going to become a restaurant caleed Cafe Chinois (I think) but they ran out of money I believe, I would always pop my head through the doors to stare inside the building and marvel at the interior
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #38
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Hi All,

There was overwhelming support to ‘split’ the Restaurants & Pubs thread, and this has been done.

We now have three threads, split along the lines suggested above by TownPlanningNE . . .
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #39
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Smashing - cheers Historian, Chris, B4mmy et al!

(Pasted from other thread)

I get the feeling that there's quite a few of us on here that have similar tastes in terms of places to drink - I'm a big fan of The Forth, Popolo's, Tokyo (more in terms of design than a place to drink, mainly due to the time spent waiting at the bar), The Cluny and Secco (table football!). Baccus is nice for a drink after work on a Friday too.

I'm also told Tilley's is good but I've never made it there. As for the Head of Steam, I'm not a big fan, but it's much better now that smoking is banned, which was unbearable due to the ultra-low ceilings.

Anyway, seeing as we all seem to like similar pubs, would anyone be interested in a meet-up one evening in the not-so-distant future..?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #40
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

pasted from other thread:

everything about head of steam is shit; its cramped, there's no where to sit, stuffy, ugly, no windows, average drinks etc. but it's also the one place where you always end up talking to new people and chatting bollocks on some weird subject. this can be good and bad, its not a place to go for a quiet drink but if you are at a loose end it's a good bet. and as it is full of bearded phd students it scares off all charvs, stags etc so less wankers than usual.

i do like popolo, nice surroundings and very good drink selection, though it depends what sort of crowd is in - sometimes it's full of 40 year old businessmen/women, or middle aged shoppers from the east end waiting for buses on pilgrim street, when it can feel a bit depressing.

The Cluny, Tanners & the Tyne are great, but a bit far out for me to visit too often. would be nice to have a 'bar' type venue out there, as opposed to the pub style offerings currently in the valley.

The Forth is my favourite place in town for a couple of quick drinks, it gets a real mix of folk and doesn't get dominated by dickheads on a 'big night out' who can't handle their drink.

the one place i used to go to all the time but haven't visited in years is Quin's/Rafferty's. favourite haunt of 17 year old newcastle college students and 60 year old dancing radgies. the main reason i went is due to it being next to my bus stop and serving probably the cheapest drinks in town.

And yes Anger, a meet up sounds good.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alcohol, beer, breweries, brewery, ciu, ciu clubs, club, clubs, newcastle, newcastle retail, nightclub, nightclubs, off licence, off license, pub, public house, public houses, pubs, retail, s & n, scottish & newcastle, social clubs, spirits, wine