search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM   #81
johnnypd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,423
Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
Went to a new place last night, Stein Beer Kellar. It's supposed to be a 21st century take on a Bavarian drinking hall. Well, it was dead for a start. Just me and my mate, and three guys who knew the barman. Apart from a token pump of Erdinger, and the fact that you can buy beer in 2 pint steins, it is nothing like a Bavarian drinking hall, more like another charmless city centre bar. That said, the barman (who I think was Italian) was friendly, and there was an offer on where you got a stein for the price of a pint. So a round of 2 x 2pint steins came to 5 quid, which you can't really argue with! But after one, we decided to climb the steps to the Bridge instead for a few real ales and a bit of atmosphere!
found this review after googling the name

"Almost laughably bad, dismal, a triumph of hype over honesty.

Let's start with the basics - it s not a beer keller, it looks nothing like a beer keller. It's straight out of the old Ultimate Leisure style guide with a couple of walls covered with mountain wallpaper. I don t know any 'beer kellers' which offer carling [the world's only combined beer and disinfectant] on tap. As to the rest of the taps, apart from the usual fruit beers there's Budvar [not the original Budweiser, despite what you'll be told], erdinger and three varieties of grolsch - one assumes their prominence is entirely unconnected with their name appearing on almost every paper surface in the building [apart from the bog roll, where it might be most appropriate].

The selection of beers is limited and the staff are pleasantly incompetent and equipped with smiles so vacant they make Paris Hilton and Vernon Kaye look like Socrates and Plato. Amstel served in Budvar steins, as flat as Norfolk. Possibly the worst pint I have had, without exaggeration and to put that in context I've drunk in Flynns ! This joy was underpinned by an amusing attempt to serve a weissbeer in a standard grolsch glass.

The preceding is excusable in a bog standard bar which serves cooking lager mixed with a few posh 'uns. In a bar with pretensions to sell real beers, one assumes to people who know about real beers it's a disgrace. For god's sake guys, even Weatherspoons does better than this !

Unorthodox [and I suspect highly illegal] heating arrangements - a huge propane cylinder powering a flaming jet space heater, blocking the door to the disabled toilet - that said the only disabled person to pop into this risible bar more than once would be brain damaged.

There were a couple of fun diversions, if you do get so lost as to find yourself in this comedy bar spend a minute or two wondering what the purpose of the plastic garden centre seats stashed in the corder or the [former] cloakroom is ?

If you want a beer keller with a range of decent beers then hit the usual suspects; the Head, Tilleys or the Forth. If you want cheap on the Quayside go to Lloyds - almost opposite this pratfest, but with competent service and without the risk of setting your bum ablaze if you let one rip near the heater.

Mark my words, come the end of January when there's tumbleweed on the Quayside it will be boarded up or selling trebles for a quid.

How bad was this bar....... I went to Chase afterwards and it seemed fabulous. 'Nuff said."

http://www.narcforum.com/viewtopic.p...9322&view=next
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:28 PM   #82
NewcastleStu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,026
Likes (Received): 69

Ha ha, won't be rushing out to try that one then.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:01 AM   #83
Talisker
dE/dm
 
Talisker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 2,297
Likes (Received): 542

There's a great working mans club in south shields I used to get dragged along to by my mates called the perceverence. I used to call it fort apache becuase it was in a fairly rough area near tyne dock metro station. One of the strangest things about the 'percy' was that the toilets in the mens' had the toilet roll dispensers on the OUTSIDE of the cubicles for some inexplicable reason. Probably a measure to save money by forcing patrons to guess how much roll they'll need before going in.

__________________
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men - Maurice Herzog
Talisker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM   #84
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect
 
AngerOfTheNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,721
Likes (Received): 130

Good grief... Don't think I'd fancy that place much...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #85
WilfBurnsFan
Registered User
 
WilfBurnsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 2,710
Likes (Received): 59

I see from today's Journal that the Cradlewell has closed. I was always more of a Punchbowl regular when I lived round there, but it's still sad to see, and yet another example of a crass and cretinous pubco ruining a perfectly OK boozer by turning it into some unbelievably shit 'It's a Scream' "fun pub", alienating all the locals, and then finding that the local students prefer Osborne Road anyway. They managed to destroy the Belle Grove that way as well, and God knows how many other pubs nationwide. They ruined the Hancock, too (RIP Bierrex), though that is still going.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #86
kieron79
Registered User
 
kieron79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 430
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I see from today's Journal that the Cradlewell has closed. I was always more of a Punchbowl regular when I lived round there, but it's still sad to see, and yet another example of a crass and cretinous pubco ruining a perfectly OK boozer by turning it into some unbelievably shit 'It's a Scream' "fun pub", alienating all the locals, and then finding that the local students prefer Osborne Road anyway. They managed to destroy the Belle Grove that way as well, and God knows how many other pubs nationwide. They ruined the Hancock, too (RIP Bierrex), though that is still going.
Yeah went really down hill over last few years, lovely looking building too!Shame!
I too am gutted about Bierrex that was a great pub with many good memories!I used to love sitting outside on a (rare) sunny day sipping a beer. It really was different to anything else in Newcastle at the time.
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #87
Chatton11
Registered User
 
Chatton11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: York
Posts: 779
Likes (Received): 22

When I lived in Sandyford, we went in both pubs a few times. The punchbowl was our favourite until we were told that we couldn't move any chairs or tables around, so our group of frineds had to sit about 2 metres away from each other. Absolutely ridiculous.
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #88
kieron79
Registered User
 
kieron79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 430
Likes (Received): 3

not sure if this has been mentioned before but I drove past the Cooperage this evening and I noticed there was a sold sign up next to it, anyone know whats happening with it?like I say may be old news?
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #89
gregstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,175
Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
not sure if this has been mentioned before but I drove past the Cooperage this evening and I noticed there was a sold sign up next to it, anyone know whats happening with it?like I say may be old news?
I did exactly the same thing earlier!
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #90
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 10,768
Likes (Received): 899

Stein beer keller review

have a look at newcastlepubs.net for more on this spot [and others]

I certainly wouldn t rush to go back......


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
found this review after googling the name

"Almost laughably bad, dismal, a triumph of hype over honesty.

Let's start with the basics - it s not a beer keller, it looks nothing like a beer keller. It's straight out of the old Ultimate Leisure style guide with a couple of walls covered with mountain wallpaper. I don t know any 'beer kellers' which offer carling [the world's only combined beer and disinfectant] on tap. As to the rest of the taps, apart from the usual fruit beers there's Budvar [not the original Budweiser, despite what you'll be told], erdinger and three varieties of grolsch - one assumes their prominence is entirely unconnected with their name appearing on almost every paper surface in the building [apart from the bog roll, where it might be most appropriate].

The selection of beers is limited and the staff are pleasantly incompetent and equipped with smiles so vacant they make Paris Hilton and Vernon Kaye look like Socrates and Plato. Amstel served in Budvar steins, as flat as Norfolk. Possibly the worst pint I have had, without exaggeration and to put that in context I've drunk in Flynns ! This joy was underpinned by an amusing attempt to serve a weissbeer in a standard grolsch glass.

The preceding is excusable in a bog standard bar which serves cooking lager mixed with a few posh 'uns. In a bar with pretensions to sell real beers, one assumes to people who know about real beers it's a disgrace. For god's sake guys, even Weatherspoons does better than this !

Unorthodox [and I suspect highly illegal] heating arrangements - a huge propane cylinder powering a flaming jet space heater, blocking the door to the disabled toilet - that said the only disabled person to pop into this risible bar more than once would be brain damaged.

There were a couple of fun diversions, if you do get so lost as to find yourself in this comedy bar spend a minute or two wondering what the purpose of the plastic garden centre seats stashed in the corder or the [former] cloakroom is ?

If you want a beer keller with a range of decent beers then hit the usual suspects; the Head, Tilleys or the Forth. If you want cheap on the Quayside go to Lloyds - almost opposite this pratfest, but with competent service and without the risk of setting your bum ablaze if you let one rip near the heater.

Mark my words, come the end of January when there's tumbleweed on the Quayside it will be boarded up or selling trebles for a quid.

How bad was this bar....... I went to Chase afterwards and it seemed fabulous. 'Nuff said."

http://www.narcforum.com/viewtopic.p...9322&view=next
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #91
johnnypd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,423
Likes (Received): 1198

is that your review then? interesting blog, youre not wrong about Rafferty's, can't believe that was my first pint pub for many years!
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #92
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,437
Likes (Received): 1550

.
Here is the "fifth" of my complete set of all the Scottish & Newcastle Inns, as they used to be.

I hope some of you have found your old local, as it used to be, in one of these sets? I only have (after this one) one more set of old S&N Matchbox Labels to do, then all "150" of S&Ns pubs will have been featured!!

This particular set (below) contains a fair few pubs that I haven't heard of, never mind been in. Far more than in any of the previous four sets. The previous set (No. 4) actually had a few of my all time favourites in there (such as "The Portland") unlike this time.

Anyway, here goes with the penultimate set, hope you enjoy them . . .


Scottish & Newcastle Inns.
Matchbox Labels, Sheet 5.




101 – BOARD INN
Stella, Blaydon, Tyne & Wear.

102 – JOLLY FARMERS
Thornaby Road, Thornaby, Stockton on Tees.

103 – NORTH STAR
Charnwood Avenue, Longbenton, Newcastle, NE12.

104 – PACK HORSE
Crookgate, Burnopfield.

105 – WHEATSHEAF HOTEL
Callerton Lane Ends, Woolsington, Newcastle, NE13.

106 – YORKSHIRE DRAGOON
High Lane, Maltby in Cleveland.

107 – FOX INN
10 Bow Street, Guisborough.

108 – NEW TAVERN
Springfield, Stokesley.

109 – PLOUGH
369 Old Durham Road, Deckham, Gateshead.

110 – SWAN
Heddon on the Wall, Newcastle, NE15.

111 – LOCHSIDE
Red Hall Drive, Benton, Newcastle, NE7.

112 – CLEVELAND BAY
Ings Road, Redcar.

113 – RYTON HOTEL
Ryton, Tyne & Wear.

114 – EAGLE
Glynfillis, Leam Lane Estate, Felling.

115 – DUKE OF WELLINGTON
Kenton Lane, Kenton, Newcastle, NE3.

116 – HARDWICK ARMS
North End, Sedgefield.

117 – NEW MILL
Chesterton Road, South Shields.

118 – IMPERIAL VAULTS
1 Lambton Street, Sunderland.

119 – LAMBTON ARMS
Front Street, Chester Le Street.

120 – JUBILEE
Jubilee Road, Gosforth, Newcastle, NE3.

121 – HIGHLANDER
Front Street, Swalwell.

122 – FOXHUNTERS
Prestongate, North Shields.

123 – BORDER TERRIER
Hartington Road, Marden Estate, North Shields.

124 – PRINCE OF WALES
Calf Close Lane, Jarrow.

125 – THE BULL
Chillingham Terrace, Jarrow.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #93
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 10,768
Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
is that your review then? interesting blog, youre not wrong about Rafferty's, can't believe that was my first pint pub for many years!
Might have a vague involvement.....

Raffertys has somewhat tumbled over the last few years. Mind you I m steeling myself for a visit to Gotham Town which makes Raffertys seem like the top floor bar at Harvey Nic's
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #94
NewcastleStu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,026
Likes (Received): 69

Have they 'improved' Rafferty's recently by adding a coat of new paint and maybe something else? Still never go in mind, straight to the Forth for me.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #95
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 10,768
Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewcastleStu View Post
Have they 'improved' Rafferty's recently by adding a coat of new paint and maybe something else? Still never go in mind, straight to the Forth for me.
Aye much more civilised. As to Rafferty's with a pintjob - expressions about polishing turds spring to mind...
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #96
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,595
Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
. . . I drove past the Cooperage this evening and I noticed there was a sold sign up next to it, anyone know whats happening with it?
I heard Duncan Fisher (Apartment Group) had bought it. Unconfirmed.
It will need a lot of structural work with holes in the roof and all that will have come through them!
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #97
Deebex
Registered User
 
Deebex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 356
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
I heard Duncan Fisher (Apartment Group) had bought it. Unconfirmed.
It will need a lot of structural work with holes in the roof and all that will have come through them!
If The Cooperage becomes a decent pub again there's a nice cross-river pub crawl developing.

Start at the Bridge, over the High Level to the The Central, then The Station (well, it might improve!?) down the hill and over the swing bridge to the Cooperage, Crown Posada and then a taxi back home
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #98
hollow man
Registered User
 
hollow man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Newcastle, England, UK, Europe, Planet Earth
Posts: 1,993
Likes (Received): 23

Tried the Milecastle for the first time last night. Very impressed. Burger with chips and a pint for 4.85, Just what you need pre match!!

Very nice atmosphere inside, and not a charver in sight!!!! RESULT!!
__________________
Newcastle Metro Area Forum
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #99
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator
 
newcastlepubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 10,768
Likes (Received): 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebex View Post
If The Cooperage becomes a decent pub again there's a nice cross-river pub crawl developing.

Start at the Bridge, over the High Level to the The Central, then The Station (well, it might improve!?) down the hill and over the swing bridge to the Cooperage, Crown Posada and then a taxi back home
It looks as if it is Duncan Fisher - the application is by a company called Manners Ltd which shares the same address as 'Apartment'

could be good
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #100
kieron79
Registered User
 
kieron79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 430
Likes (Received): 3

If that takes off it could herald the rebirth of Pravda, under different owners of course!That place has stood empty for years now!Never understood why though as it used to be rammed on a weekend (although not sure why!!)
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
alcohol, beer, breweries, brewery, ciu, ciu clubs, club, clubs, newcastle, newcastle retail, nightclub, nightclubs, off licence, off license, pub, public house, public houses, pubs, retail, s & n, scottish & newcastle, social clubs, spirits, wine

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu