search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1498

Newcastle and the North East HOTELS - Of the present, the past, and plans for the future

OK, as suggested below, here is a new thread to cover Newcastle Hotels, of which there is a lot to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
I'm guessing the hotels that do have threads will be significant developments so probably warrant their own. But perhaps a general Newcastle Hotels thread could be created, where past, current and future hotels could be discussed?
There are specific project threads for those new hotels currently proposed, and while that will doubtless continue to be what happens on here when a specific hotel project reaches the 'proposal' stage, I see no reason why future plans cannot be discussed in general on here, along with the present and the past. Hence the thread title of "Hotels of the past, the present and future plans"

Also, while most hotels are/will be, in Newcastle, we can also include those from Gateshead/North Tyneside, etc (the "Newcastle Metro Area", in fact!).
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Here are the posts, from the Downing Plaza Project thread, that led to the creation of this "general HOTELS thread" . . .

Quote:
I've just looked at the Downing Press release regarding Downing Plaza construction start and it states at the bottom:

Quote: "Future phases of Downing Plaza will include an additional 100,000 sq ft of offices, two hotels - a 183-bed hotel and 102-bed suite hotel - a 462-bed student village and extensive retail space, across six steel and glass-clad buildings designed by acclaimed architects Ian Simpson".

So the sale of the Downing planned hotel site, must be a very recent thing if true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth View Post
johnnypd, the hotel site is up for sale!!! google is a wonderful tool
Quote:
I haven't found anything on google relating to Downing selling any of their development. The only news relating to Downing Plaza and a hotel is that of the sale of the Brewery HQ to the hotel group opening the Sandman Signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
I think Ruth must be mistaken or misunderstood the Brewery HQ was sold to Sandman hotels after planning to knock the building down and build on it themselves- the 50 odd floor tower was metioned- obviously a large proportion of the tower would have been apartments and the recession seen this plan thrown in the bin. The building was hence sold to the canadian hotel group.

Bed occupancy in Newcastle is one of the highest in the UK- and it would be mad for Downing not to build the 4 star hotel there- operators would jump on the chance to be on that site- right next to St James's park and right next to the new up coming office sector of the city means occupancy would be high all week. With Crown Plaza being built on Stephenson Quarter, already a hilton, copthorne and Malmaison- a Radisson hotel or even a Novotel would be my bet.
Quote:
I think your right about Ruth being mistaken/misunderstood.

Anyway while browsing for information I came across some saying Downing were in 'advanced' talks for Novotel to operate the 4 star hotel and Adagio City Aparthotel to operate the serviced apartments. This was news to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
Well if it was Novotel- some of them are really nice and they seem to be expanding quickly- the new one in Liverpool looks really smart. Still think we miss that Radisson hotel thought.

Totally off on a tangent- but does anyone know what is happening with Irving/ Irvine house (it think that is the name) that has permission for a hotel beween the Lit and Phil and Tokyo pub on Westgate Road- and for that matter is Sleeperz going ahead? If those two would happen the street would be just finished off nicely.
Quote:
Sleeperz still has expansion plans listed on their website but I haven't heard anymore. I really like the look of it though. I'm guessing the plans might be on hold for a short while due to the recession.

There is already a Novotel in Newcastle. However it is serving the Airport mainly, so one in the city centre would be a good choice. I agree about the Radisson, they recently opened a Radisson SAS in Durham.

I feel the city really could do with a Radisson and also a Ramada hotel.

Do we not have a thread for hotels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Not sure if I could stomach a ramada. Perhaps a marriott, or even better a residence inn. Hotels based around appartments, with kitchens and living areas are popular these days. I think the hotel du vin may be a similar concept.
Quote:
I think there was talk not long ago of Marriott looking at the city centre. They already have 2 here though, one at Gosforth and one at the MetroCentre. Is that what the Staybridge suites are? I'm guessing thats what they mean by the serviced apartments part of the hotel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babe ruth View Post
time will tell
Quote:
So would a source... (Not Google- Already done a search and as I've said there's no such results; just all about the Brewery HQ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtoon View Post
The new 'Newcastle Airport hotel' was originally going to open under the 'Ramada' chain before the developers went bust ... Hilton have now stepped in and will eventually open it under their 'Doubletree' brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
So far, I think all the hotels have their own individual 'Project threads'.

That doesn't mean to say we shouldn't have a "Newcastle Hotels" general thread, if we want one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Would it be easier to just roll them all up into one thread, or would that be a bit too "general" an approach?
Quote:
I'm guessing the hotels that do have threads will be significant developments so probably warrant their own.

But perhaps a general Newcastle Hotels thread could be created, where past, current and future hotels could be discussed?
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Who remembers the

The Newcastle "Centre Hotel" . . .

Newcastle Centre Hotel, deck level entrance, in 1977 . .

I'm not certain exactly when this was opened, I think it was 1976. As can be seen, the plans published in 'City News' are dated January 1974 (see below).

Since being a 'Centre Hotel', it has gone through a lot of owners and names and owners, with the Centre Hotel's short, but varied, history being . . .

1970s - Centre Hotel
1980s - Crest Hotel
1980s - Forte Crest (when first bought out by forte)
1990s - Forte Posthouse
1990s - Holiday Inn
2000s - Premier Inn

I think that's it, SIX names . . have I missed any?

I'm surprised though, when I first thought about it (although the building hasn't been there very long, I know) I just thought it had been known by more different names than that!

I suppose that is quite a few names really, for a relatively recently built hotel.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 11th, 2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #4
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 534

Premier Inn are the present owners, forte posthouse were also owners in the past.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Talisker
dE/dm

Top hotels in Newcastle according to Tripadvisor:

1. Staybridge
2. NewcastleGateshead Serviced appartments
3. Hotel Du Vin
4. Jesmond Dene House
5. Beamish Park hotel

Source:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...nd-Hotels.html
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
Premier Inn are the present owners, forte posthouse were also owners in the past.
So, the Centre Hotel's short, but varied, history is now emerging . .

1970s - Centre Hotel
1980s - Crest Hotel
1980s - Forte Crest (when first bought out by forte)
1990s - Forte Posthouse
1990s - Holiday Inn
2000s - Premier Inn

I think that's it, SIX names . . have I missed any?

I'm surprised though, when I first thought about it (although the building hasn't been there very long, I know) I just thought it had been known by more different names than that!

I suppose thats quite a few names really, for a relatively recently built hotel.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 16th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Newcastle Hotel outshines London rivals to win place on top list
Jan 21 2010 The Journal

A HOTEL in Newcastle has been named one of the best in the UK.

The Staybridge Suites on Buxton Road, Newcastle, is at number 21 in the list of 25 hotels voted for by travellers for annual awards organised by TripAdvisor.

No London establishment made it onto the list.

The top British hotel according to European travellers was Rudding Park near Harrogate, Yorkshire, with travellers praising its “faultless service“. It was also sixth in the best luxury hotels of the world list.

Second was the Manor Coach House in Worcester, which was also second on Europe’s best bargain list.

Third in the top 25 UK list was Boskerris Hotel in St Ives, Cornwall, with Can-y-Bae in Llandudno, North Wales, fourth. TripAdvisor’s European marketing vice-president Alison Copus said: “With the Olympics just two years away it’s worrying not to see a single London hotel in the top 25 UK list.

“Come 2012 all eyes will be on our capital city and London hotels are clearly going to have to raise their game to make sure they provide world-class accommodation.”

The top 10 UK hotels as voted for by world travellers were: Rudding Park, Harrogate, Yorkshire; The Manor Coach House, Worcester; Boskerris Hotel, St Ives Can-y-Bae, Llandudno, North Wales; Charterhouse Hotel, Torquay; Silverdale, Seaford, East Sussex; Castlebank Hotel, Conwy, Wales; Avalon Beach Hotel, Bournemouth; Dunkery Beacon Hotel, Exmoor, Somerset; Trelaske Hotel, Looe, Cornwall.

NB - The above photo was inserted by me, and taken by hollow man

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 23rd, 2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Talisker
dE/dm

This is great news when you consider that almost all the other hotels in the top 25 are in small towns and villages. There's nothing from leeds, manchester, liverpool, london, glasgow, edinburgh or birmingham for example.

Here are some of the users' photos from tripadvisor:

It also just goes to show how popular appartment hotels are at the moment. Why would you want to stay in a regular hotel room, when you could stay in somehere like this for the same price?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:44 PM   #9
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I really like the look of these suites, I think the entrance looks particularly good!

http://images.travelnow.com/hotels/NCS_STAY-exter-1.jpg
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:48 PM   #10
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

I see the Holiday Inn Express, which was rebranded Express by Holiday Inn, has been re-re-branded back to the Holiday Inn Express.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:25 AM   #11
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
I see the Holiday Inn Express, which was rebranded Express by Holiday Inn, has been re-re-branded back to the Holiday Inn Express.
You've got to be joking, what is the point?!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:26 AM   #12
nadj

Likes (Received): 3

Ha, I wonder if they've paid some marketing consultants an absolute fortune for that! Maybe the same marketing consultants that "rebranded" my place of work for a vast sum of money, only for them to do nothing but slightly change the shade of green used, to apparently make it look more modern! And I do mean only very slightly!
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:28 AM   #13
Talisker
dE/dm

Nobody is going to say 'I'm staying at the express by holiday inn'. It's a ridiculous name. Courtyard "by" marriott is another.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #14
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
I really like the look of these suites, I think the entrance looks particularly good!

http://images.travelnow.com/hotels/NCS_STAY-exter-1.jpg
Yeah me too, like I say, my photos are of terrible quality but I am really impressed by it from the outside, particularly the entrance and by the looks of it the inside is equally as good.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:50 PM   #15
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like that building? It's like IKEA have started selling flat pack hotels. I don't see much difference between it and the council estate next door, in fact the council estate looks like it's been made of longer lasting more durable materials.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM   #16
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like that building? It's like IKEA have started selling flat pack hotels. I don't see much difference between it and the council estate next door, in fact the council estate looks like it's been made of longer lasting more durable materials.
No, I'm not too keen on it either, though I must admit the bottom bit where the entrance is fairly good.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM   #17
TownPlanningNE

A photo I took of it through the Quayside buildings; Can't really see much of it but you get an idea of it's location:

Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM   #18
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
i'm with you on this one. don't like it one bit, though it is nice that it is so highly rated by its customers.
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:43 PM   #19
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
i'm with you on this one. don't like it one bit, though it is nice that it is so highly rated by its customers.
The way I see it is that it is a good quality new building in a part of town you wouldnt expect to see a good quality new building, much less a hotel. Therefore I like it.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:45 PM   #20
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

well it is definitely better than the student residential shite on the street behind
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
accommodation, development, developments, holiday, hotel, hotels, newcastle, newcastle hotels