search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #41
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

The area of the city still lacking a decent hotel is Haymarket. As an ex-uni employee it was always tricky trying to find nearby accommodation (within 10 mins walk). With the exception of the Premier Travel Inn (dump) on Higham Place, the next closest is Central Station area.

I always though if I had the money to do it, I could probably make a killing opening up a hotel on the Oxfam/Sunlight/Ladbrokes temporary shops site facing Percy Street. Maybe with a nice restaurant on the ground floor.

toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #42
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

Apparently nearly every hotel in Newcastle and Sunderland are fully booked this weekend with both Cardiff and Wigan fans making a weekend of their trips here. Leeds are playing in Hartleppol aswell, so maybe more hotel rooms will be booked but I doubt it since Leeds and Hartlepool arn't that far away.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #43
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 41

Irving House has been rumoured for a while- it is nice to see that an application is in. It is such a beautiful building- infact all the buildings around there are- it will be great to see that street getting some life back- what with the new railway arches converted and Coopers recently completed. I really want Sleeperz to be built - I like the building proposed and it would just finish the street off. Then we need the Westgate House site developed and hey presto- all of the central station area is completed.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #44
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I rather like the Newcastle/Gateshead Hilton building, as viewed from the Newcastle side of the river.

Been to a few 'events' in there too, and I also like the views of Newcastle you get from the hotel.
The hilton is brilliant. The first time i went there i got a pheasant room but was happy enough as we won it in a raffle sort of thing. The second time i went there i booked a room for me and my girl from Manchester. You walk into the lobby where you check in at them little desks and 'WOW' the scenery is stunning. You get the Tyne Bridge right in your face, open you mouth and you can gobble it for breakfast, it really is stunning from inside the hotel. This goes along with the rest of the stunning views which you wouldn't think possible.

As i was saying the second time i booked we got a top floor room complete with complimentary strawberry dipped in chocolate (which was fun later on) and a few free real ales which didn't last long for me. we were on the second floor down from the 'penthouse' if you call it.

I have stayed in lots of hotels throughout the UK and parts of Europe and nothing beats the Hilton for the views if your in the right room, it really is that stunning that you have to check it out for yourself when seeing is believing.

If no one has been to the Hilton before, get yourself there, take a walk in to the restaurant and have a cup of tea/coffee and take in the view.

Wish i was on commission for this.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #45
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
The hilton is brilliant. The first time i went there i got a pheasant room but was happy enough as we won it in a raffle sort of thing. The second time i went there i booked a room for me and my girl from Manchester. You walk into the lobby where you check in at them little desks and 'WOW' the scenery is stunning. You get the Tyne Bridge right in your face, open you mouth and you can gobble it for breakfast, it really is stunning from inside the hotel. This goes along with the rest of the stunning views which you wouldn't think possible.

As i was saying the second time i booked we got a top floor room complete with complimentary strawberry dipped in chocolate (which was fun later on) and a few free real ales which didn't last long for me. we were on the second floor down from the 'penthouse' if you call it.

I have stayed in lots of hotels throughout the UK and parts of Europe and nothing beats the Hilton for the views if your in the right room, it really is that stunning that you have to check it out for yourself when seeing is believing.

If no one has been to the Hilton before, get yourself there, take a walk in to the restaurant and have a cup of tea/coffee and take in the view.

Wish i was on commission for this.
Now i really didnt think id be getting mental images like that from a post on SSC!!!

Disgraceful.
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #46
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Did the Holiday Inn Express get anywhere with their application for another two floors on the St James Boulevard hotel?

I always thought that was a bit cheeky, barely a couple of years after the bloody thing was built!
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #47
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Did the Holiday Inn Express get anywhere with their application for another two floors on the St James Boulevard hotel?

I always thought that was a bit cheeky, barely a couple of years after the bloody thing was built!
The application was granted conditionally. I'm not sure if they carried out any of the work though?

http://planningapplications.newcastl...=JWUIJNBS07X00
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #48
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Newspaper report from today, with more details about what TPNE told us last week . . .

Plans revealed to open new hotel in Newcastle
Feb 9 2010 by Alastair Craig, Evening Chronicle

PLANS by a world-wide hotel chain to open on Tyneside within a year have been revealed.

InterContinental Hotel Group hopes to launch a new boutique hotel in the heart of Newcastle city centre in a £20m project creating 80 jobs.

The 148-bed, four-star venue is set to open in Fenkle Street, next to The Assembly Rooms, under the US company’s Hotel Indigo brand.

The hotel, developed by Sanguine Hospitality, is due to welcome guests in February next year subject to approval by city planners.

Hotel Indigo Newcastle will be the developer’s first venture into the North East and only the fourth investment in the UK.

Bosses are hoping to secure a residency from Michelin-starred chef Marco Pierre White to run a brasserie in the former Eagle Star House building.

Last year, Newcastle and Gateshead attracted almost 19 million visitors, maintaining hotel occupancy levels of 77% despite the recession.

Today business leaders hailed the announcement as a coup for Tyneside’s growing tourism industry.

Paul Bolton, director at Sanguine Hospitality, said the company was attracted to Newcastle by its vitality as a cultural hotspot.

He said: “Tourism is worth over £1bn to Newcastle and Gateshead and, despite one of the worst recessions in recent times, the city region attracted more than 18 million visitors last year.

“The regeneration of the Greenmarket and Eldon Square shows the level of ambition in the city and the direction it is taking.

“We intend to bring something new and creative to Newcastle’s hotel market, further strengthening the city’s appeal to visitors. Alive with students, football fans and businesses, this is a great tourist destination and we’re confident Hotel Indigo Newcastle will be a big success.”

The Hotel Indigo brand began its global roll-out in early 2006 with London Paddington and Glasgow.

Regional development agency One North East has welcomed the project.

Stacy Hall, director of communications and tourism, said: “InterContinental Hotels Group is recognised globally as a leading hotel chain and it is exciting news that Newcastle has been chosen as one of the few destinations in the UK for their new Indigo brand.

“It is a yet another example of a private investment scheme to develop a high quality hotel in the region, which demonstrates the levels of confidence in the region’s economy.”

Andrew Dixon, chief executive at NewcastleGateshead Initiative, said: “The fact that big brand hotels are attracted to Newcastle and Gateshead shows that we are a world-class destination with a quality accommodation portfolio attracting important inward investment.”

Tyneside already boasts the top names in the hotel world, including a Hilton in Gateshead and a Malmaison on Newcastle’s Quayside.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #49
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

An interesting set of comparison photos of 'Zurich House/Hotel Indigo' in this mornings Journal . . .

Old February 13th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #50
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 534

It's an improvement, especially at ground level. Despite what the report says, Intercontinental (despite they very american sounding name) are in fact a British company, based in buckinghamshire. They own the previously US based holiday inn group along with staybridge, crowne plaza and candlewood suites chains.
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #51
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Leisure market takes a hit but it's not all gloom
The burgeoning hotel market has stalled somewhat. Virtually every scheme in the North East, and Newcastle particularly, of a mixed use nature had a hotel element in it.

The difficulty is that banks will not fund such developments when hoteliers are taking management contracts.

Management contracts do not give a guaranteed return by way of a rent to an owner developer and banks simply cannot cope with the uncertain nature of the return.

Exceptions are few and far between and any hotel transactions tend to have been where they have been long established and up and trading.

The budget hotel market is, however, holding up.

Travelodge is believed to have signed up a deal on the Hanro site next to the Strawberry pub and it was recently announced that Indigo, an Intercontinental Hotel Group brand, is to enter into a deal on Eagle House on Fenkle Street.

Hotel development remains fundable if leases can be agreed and the budget groups are still prepared to enter into leases. Until the four-star market considers taking leases it is unlikely that the development cycle will be unlocked.

http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commerci...1140-25848100/
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #52
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Backpackers hostel planned for former Journal headquarters
Mar 30 2010 by Tony Henderson, The Journal

The 19th-Century headquarters of The Journal is set for a new life as a 180-bed backpackers hostel.

It would be the second major backpackers base in Newcastle city centre.

The 177-bed Albatross backpackers hostel opened four years ago in a listed, former bank building in Grainger Street.

Now city councillors are being advised to back plans on Thursday for the conversion of the empty former Journal building off Falconar Court to the rear of Clayton Street, which was last used as a warehouse.

The plans include a cafe and three floors of dormitories in the building, which is behind the 18th-Century Assembly Rooms.

Planners say the site is located in what may ultimately become a much more accessible location if plans to redevelop the nearby Newgate Shopping Centre go ahead. If this scheme progresses then a new chare would be created running to the site directly from Newgate Street, opening up this part of the city considerably.

They advise the principle of basic backpackers style accommodation is acceptable in such a city centre location, given the easy access to the nearby Central Station.

“The site is located in what is currently an uninviting and almost abandoned alleyway and introducing a use which is likely to be occupied 24 hours of the day into that environment will almost certainly assist in making this area safer and more attractive,” say planners.

Given its past history as part of the 1870 offices of The Journal, it is considered that the opportunity to record the building should be taken prior to its conversion.

The demand for budget accommodation for visitors is shown by the fact that since its opening in February 2006, the Albatross backpackers hostel has catered for 250,000 customers.

Visitors can stay for a maximum of 14 nights with varying-sized dormitories ranging from two through to 12 bedded rooms. Most beds are under £20 a night, and there is a self-catering kitchen.

The Albatross is managed by Liane Rose and husband Chris Picha and was voted best hostel in England in 2007 and 2008 by the Hostelworld website.

Liana said: “We cater for visiting groups and for the genuine traveller, and places like the nearby Grainger Market have profited.”

Louise Davis, head of tourism and culture, said: “The proposal for a new hostel is a great example of the continuing confidence in the region and its visitor economy.

“It is important that we offer quality accommodation in a range of price brackets, and it is particularly important if the region is to increase the number of younger visitors exploring the North East. For these visitors, spending less on accommodation frees up their funds to spend on other activities during their stay.”

Earlier this month The Journal reported how the Springhill 450-acre organic farm near Seahouses is in the Northumberland Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty will open a bunkhouse and five wooden “wigwams” which will provide a total of 57 budget-price beds for tourists including walkers and cyclists
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:26 AM   #53
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Soon enough the Bigg market will be gaining even more "out of towners" with the options of very cheap hotels nearby for stag/hen parties.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:41 PM   #54
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I really like the idea of having more accommodation for backpackers. Plus it's the reuse of an existing building - much better than dragging it down and building something new, particularly bearing in mind that it's a building largely hidden from the street, so we wouldn't get to see any new building anyway.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM   #55
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
It's an improvement, especially at ground level. Despite what the report says, Intercontinental (despite they very american sounding name) are in fact a British company, based in buckinghamshire. They own the previously US based holiday inn group along with staybridge, crowne plaza and candlewood suites chains.
I think the proposals aren't bad, and the major changes in the appearance may be necessary for operational reasons, but I have to say I much prefer the building as it is - elegant clean lines, one of the best modernist style buildings in the city.

Having said that, both of these hotel/hostel developments should be welcomed in my view - and they might have a useful spin-off on the liveliness and prosperity of the Westgate Road/lower Clayton Street area.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #56
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Two new hotels set to benefit the city
Apr 15 2010 by The Journal

A LEADING hotel chain has confirmed plans to create 3,500 jobs in the UK over the next three years, including many in the North East.

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) said the posts will be filled at 36 new hotels, part of a big worldwide expansion which will see 1,400 new hotels opening.

Andy Cosslett, IHG’s chief executive, said: “Hotels provide a quick and flexible way to get people back into work and provide a much-needed stimulus to the economy.

“We’re playing our part with 3,500 additional opportunities in the next three years, but a commitment from the Government to support and promote the tourism industry would mean we could create even more jobs.”

Intercontinental’s plans include the opening of a new 250-bed, four-star Crowne Plaza hotel, in Newcastle.

The upmarket hotel, expected to create more than 100 jobs, will be one of the key parts of the Stephenson Quarter development behind Newcastle Central Station.

Property developer Silverlink is looking for joint venture partners to progress the £200m scheme.

Earlier this year it won the final planning permissions it needs to begin work on a 10-acre site which will also see new office blocks and apartments.

Business agents Christie+Co has been appointed by Silverlink to secure an investor.

And InterContinental also hopes to launch a new boutique hotel in the heart of Newcastle city centre in a £20m project creating 80 jobs.

The company is looking to open a 148-bed, four-star venue in the former Eagle Star House on Fenkle Street, next to The Assembly Rooms, under the US company’s Hotel Indigo brand.

The hotel, developed by Sanguine Hospitality, is due to welcome guests in February next year subject to approval by city planners. The move will create 80 jobs.

In February InterContinental posted a 34% fall in underlying profits for 2009 to £232.1m despite improving fourth-quarter trends.

Mr Cosslett said: “We expect trading to stay tough until business travellers return in greater numbers.”

Last year, Newcastle and Gateshead attracted almost 19 million visitors and maintained hotel occupancy levels of 77% despite the recession.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 15th, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #57
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Good news then though I'm sure we have known about these for a little while.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #58
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Newcastle's City Aparthotel sold for £1.5m
May 5 2010 by Peter McCusker, The Journal

A NORTH East investor has snapped up a Newcastle city centre hotel for £1.5m.

The 20-room City Aparthotel in Jackson House, Northumberland Street, Newcastle, with a turnover of £432,000, has been sold on a 127-year lease.

The Jones Lang LaSalle licensed leisure and hotels team in Leeds sold the hotel for £1.5m to a private North East investor. Jones Lang conducted the sale on behalf of the business recovery team at BDO.

Harry Hawksby, director in the Jones Lang LaSalle Licensed Leisure and Hotels team, said: “This attractive stone-fronted property located in the heart of Newcastle’s vibrant city centre generated a high level of interest, not only from the local area but also on a national level.

“We are very pleased with the sale result, and believe that this property will certainly benefit from its close proximity to the city’s central business district, two Metro stations, Newcastle’s two universities and the management style of the new owner.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #59
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

From the Newcastle retail thread.

Quote:
The future of Co-op’s store on Newgate Street has been the subject of much debate since the retailer decided not to sell the site in 2006.

Back then, Co-op was in the midst of selling a portfolio of department stores. Most were sold, but it retained five freeholds, including the grade II-listed, 180,000 sq ft store in Newcastle.

Since the opening of St Andrew’s Way, the Co-op site, as it is known, has gained even more prominence — the 185,000 sq ft Debenhams anchor store looks out on to the site — a prime development opportunity.

This month, the retailer is to announce a shortlist of three hoteliers for a five-star hotel at the site. This is one of the options considered in the past four years — retail and student accommodation were earlier plans.

“By working with our masterplanners, we believe we have got the semblance of a good scheme to be developed on the site,” says Ian Braithwaite, development manager at the Co-operative Group.

“However, in this market, it simply depends on who has got the money. We are testing the market to see who is interested in working with us, so we can get an operator and a developer who can support a scheme.”

Braithwaite says any development is likely to be in a joint venture, although the final decision on Co-op’s involvement is left “very open”. It is keen for development to start within 18 months.
I'm rather excited about this propect, and for this building aswell.

It is something that this city needs very much, and I really hope it happens. I'm disapointed in the time span for the developement starting though, 18 month's seems a long time to pick out a hotelier, and start the developement process, especially when they have 3 hotelier options already.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #60
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

have the hotel brands been announced?

i am not sure if the co-op can be 5 star as it would need valet parking and i'm not sure there's space for that on newgate street.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
accommodation, development, developments, holiday, hotel, hotels, newcastle, newcastle hotels