daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #81
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Story in todays Indy regarding Intercontinental Hotels expansion into the UK:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...s-2048734.html

This particular paragraph caught my attention:

The world's biggest hotelier, which also operates under the Crowne Plaza and Staybridge Suites brands, reported operating profits of 219 million US dollars (£137.3 million) in the first half of 2010...A spokesman for the group said of the 35 planned hotels, 24 will be Holiday Inns and there will be two new Crowne Plazas, three Staybridge Suites and five Hotel Indigos.

I cant imagine there are any cities outside London which will boast one of each in the company's expansion programme (Crowne Plaza - Stephenson Qtr, Indigo - Grainger Town, Holiday Inn - Jesmond, Staybridge - Shieldfield). I'd say this was a big confidence boost for the city's hotel sector.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #82
upnorth

Likes (Received): 0

Hi all

I'm a long time reader of the forum here, but this is my first post...

Does anyone know what the current situation is with the Saints Hotel site behind Central Station? I walked past a few months ago and it seemed like the cafe/bar parts were almost ready to go - I'm sure they even had a menu and price list on display, unless that was a figment of my imagination - but recently when I passed the whole site seemed boarded up again. The website still seems to be up and running, but no details of a potential opening.
upnorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #83
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Story in todays Indy regarding Intercontinental Hotels expansion into the UK:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...s-2048734.html

This particular paragraph caught my attention:

The world's biggest hotelier, which also operates under the Crowne Plaza and Staybridge Suites brands, reported operating profits of 219 million US dollars (£137.3 million) in the first half of 2010...A spokesman for the group said of the 35 planned hotels, 24 will be Holiday Inns and there will be two new Crowne Plazas, three Staybridge Suites and five Hotel Indigos.

I cant imagine there are any cities outside London which will boast one of each in the company's expansion programme (Crowne Plaza - Stephenson Qtr, Indigo - Grainger Town, Holiday Inn - Jesmond, Staybridge - Shieldfield). I'd say this was a big confidence boost for the city's hotel sector.
It is quite impressive, theres also a Holiday Inn proposed for Gateshead Quays too. Where abouts is the Holiday Inn planned for Jesmond, has it been discussed on here already and are there any plans online?
Old August 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #84
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
. . . . Where abouts is the Holiday Inn planned for Jesmond, has it been discussed on here already and are there any plans online?
Its the hotel on Jesmond Road which we've all known as the Imperial Hotel until now, being extensively re-developed internally on the ground floor and re decorated and furnished elsewhere by the Handa family's Cairn Hotel Group.
I believe that their contract with Intercontinental may now have been signed.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #85
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
Its the hotel on Jesmond Road which we've all known as the Imperial Hotel until now, being extensively re-developed internally on the ground floor and re decorated and furnished elsewhere by the Handa family's Cairn Hotel Group.
I believe that their contract with Intercontinental may now have been signed.
Ah right, thanks for the info!
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #86
gregstone

Likes (Received): 25

I stayed in an Ibis Hotel in York earlier this week and was quite impressed with it for value - a notch above the Travellodge type operations with a reasonable bar area, breakfast etc. Don't think we have one in Newcastle but it would be a good addition to the mix.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #87
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Accor's newer developments on the continent have typically been multi-branded sites, eg Novotel & Ibis or Ibis & Formule 1. When the announcement was made of multiple hotels on the Newgate Shopping Centre site, my immediate reaction was Novotel/Ibis/F1.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:00 PM   #88
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 6

I've got strong feelings about the Formule 1 brand. A few years ago we stayed in the newcastle Formule 1 after attending a wedding function in gosforth. It was £19 per night and the worst hotel we have ever stayed in .. some drunks burst into room at 2am .. prostitutes walking up n down the corridors knocking on doors to see if any were vacant so they could obviously do some business. It was just a knocking shop after a night on the town. When we left the next morning after no sleep at all somebody had been sick in the corridor !!

I've also stayed in the Middlesborough F1 while working down there which is just a converted industrial unit on a trading estate .. It was bloody disgusting and another knocking shop.

This is what happens when budget hotels offer rooms at 'cheaper than a cab fair' £15-20 per night.
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM   #89
Wullie32

Likes (Received): 0

I stayed in the Heathrow Ibis last year, very impressed with it.
Wullie32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #90
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Hilton Hamilton Hotel bid based on hope of 6,000 jobs
September 15th 2010, The Journal

PLANS have been tabled for a new hotel to meet demand from a North East Business Park, whose workforce is projected to grow from 9,000 to 15,000 in the next five years.

The 125-bedroom Hilton Hamilton Hotel is intended to occupy a central site at the Cobalt Business Park in North Tyneside.

The hotel would be part of a development that would also include an office block.

The planning application envisages that the office block would accommodate the Cobalt Management Centre, a food store, bank, bakers/sandwich shop, dry cleaners and cafe/coffee shop and a 257-space car park.

A plaza between the two buildings would include two feature ponds and seating. It would give a focal point to workers who could meet there on their breaks, and provide an area for outdoor events and performances.

Existing poor quality trees on the site would be felled and replaced by species-rich hedge banks with new trees, wetland scrapes for amphibians and an area of new woodland with ponds. North Tyneside councillors are being advised by planners to back the scheme when the meet on Monday.

The business park is currently being served by the Village Hotel, which opened 10 years ago, as well as a Travelodge and a Premier Inn.

But the applicants behind the new proposal, Highbridge Business Park Ltd, say there is increasing demand for hotel rooms, particularly as the company expects that there will be an extra 6,000 employees on the park by 2015. It claims that the hotel and shops are needed to ensure that Cobalt competes with other business parks.

Town planning consultants, Nathaniel Lichfield and Partners have submitted objections on behalf of De Vere Hotels and Leisure, which is the owner of The Village Hotel.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27273409/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #91
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Will this actually be owned and ran by Hilton? If so I'd expect it to be a 4* hotel. The Travelodge is not in Cobalt, it's in Silverlink and the Premier Inn is in Holystone on the otherside of the A19.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #92
TownPlanningNE

What is Hilton Hamilton? I've just looked on the Hilton website and it doesnt seem to be listed as one of their brands? Is it not supposed to be Hampton by Hilton?
Old September 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #93
TownPlanningNE

Speaking of Hilton does anyone know what's happening with the airport hotel? Which supposed to be a Doubletree by Hilton.
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #94
the_sage

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
What is Hilton Hamilton? I've just looked on the Hilton website and it doesnt seem to be listed as one of their brands? Is it not supposed to be Hampton by Hilton?
Like you said its probably the Hampton Inn by Hilton which have suites with kitchens etc. the same concept as Residence Inn by Marriott.
the_sage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #95
TownPlanningNE

I've just checked the planning application for the Doubletree by Hilton branding and signage for the airport hotel and it was granted a while back. Not sure what is taking them so long to get it all finished?
Old September 17th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #96
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Not sure what is taking them so long to get it all finished?
That's simple. Instructions to complete the works won't be issued until Hilton commits to taking on the unit. And pays for it.

I can only guess that they don't feel that the market is lucrative enough at the moment to run the unit viably. There's a lot of facilities in there (conference rooms, gym etc) as well as bedrooms, restaurant and all the usual stuff, staffed to the standards of a Hilton, all of which would have to be sustained, along with financing the development.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #97
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
That's simple. Instructions to complete the works won't be issued until Hilton commits to taking on the unit. And pays for it.

I can only guess that they don't feel that the market is lucrative enough at the moment to run the unit viably. There's a lot of facilities in there (conference rooms, gym etc) as well as bedrooms, restaurant and all the usual stuff, staffed to the standards of a Hilton, all of which would have to be sustained, along with financing the development.
Do you know this is definately the case or are you just guessing that is whats wrong?
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #98
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 43

I am bout 90% sure that Hilton dropped out of the hotel a long time ago- the people who built it also went into big financial difficulties- not sure if they went bust or not- and as far as I know there is nobody lined up to move into the hotel and I think the whole building is up for sale.
The summer is now over so even if some hotel operator were interested nowt would be opening now till next Summer.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #99
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiejon View Post
I am bout 90% sure that Hilton dropped out of the hotel a long time ago- the people who built it also went into big financial difficulties- not sure if they went bust or not- and as far as I know there is nobody lined up to move into the hotel and I think the whole building is up for sale.
The summer is now over so even if some hotel operator were interested nowt would be opening now till next Summer.
Are you sure your not confusing Hilton with the original operator of Ramada. They dropped out when the company who built it went into administration. This was about 2 or 3years ago now though. Doubletree by Hilton was then supposed to open it, and planning applications went in last November.
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #100
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 6

Re - Airport Hotel

Rostock Investments went into administration back in 2006 and Ramada did initially show interest but soon dropped out when the investors cut corners with the development.

Finance issues caused the design of the hotel to be changed during construction. The whole east facing side was originally due to be fully glazed giving gym and conference facilites an impressive and almost airside view. Cut backs caused them to drop all glazing from this end and just ended up leaving a huge 3 storey white wall. Hilton seem to be currently mothballing the development until the market picks up. They hope to open it under their 'Doubletree' brand as TownplanningNE mentioned.
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
accommodation, development, developments, holiday, hotel, hotels, newcastle, newcastle hotels