search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #101
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
Do you know this is definately the case or are you just guessing that is whats wrong?
My first statement beginning "Instructions to complete the works . . " was exactly what I believe to be the case, and yes, I do have an involvement, which I shall not discuss here. Perhaps I could expand it to:"Instructions to complete the works won't be issued until Hilton or someone else, commits to and pays for it."
I do know that all the final works required to satisfy the Hilton DoubleTree specification have been costed by the QS, but instructions to proceed have not been received.

My second statement beginning "I can only guess that they don't feel that the market is lucrative enough at the moment to run the unit viably" was a guess

Last edited by DXNewcastle; September 17th, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #102
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
Does anyone know what the current situation is with the Saints Hotel site behind Central Station?
. . . .
. . but recently when I passed the whole site seemed boarded up again. The website still seems to be up and running, but no details of a potential opening.
That property is up for sale.
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #103
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
My first statement beginning "Instructions to complete the works . . " was exactly what I believe to be the case, and yes, I do have an involvement, which I shall not discuss here. Perhaps I could expand it to:"Instructions to complete the works won't be issued until Hilton or someone else, commits to and pays for it."
I do know that all the final works required to satisfy the Hilton DoubleTree specification have been costed by the QS, but instructions to proceed have not been received.

My second statement beginning "I can only guess that they don't feel that the market is lucrative enough at the moment to run the unit viably" was a guess
Thanks for clearing that up, some good information there. I'm guessing you would be able to inform us if the situation changes then?
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #104
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Hilton Hamilton Hotel bid based on hope of 6,000 jobs
September 15th 2010, The Journal

PLANS have been tabled for a new hotel to meet demand from a North East Business Park, whose workforce is projected to grow from 9,000 to 15,000 in the next five years.

The 125-bedroom Hilton Hamilton Hotel is intended to occupy a central site at the Cobalt Business Park in North Tyneside.

The hotel would be part of a development that would also include an office block.

The planning application envisages that the office block would accommodate the Cobalt Management Centre, a food store, bank, bakers/sandwich shop, dry cleaners and cafe/coffee shop and a 257-space car park.

A plaza between the two buildings would include two feature ponds and seating. It would give a focal point to workers who could meet there on their breaks, and provide an area for outdoor events and performances.

Existing poor quality trees on the site would be felled and replaced by species-rich hedge banks with new trees, wetland scrapes for amphibians and an area of new woodland with ponds. North Tyneside councillors are being advised by planners to back the scheme when the meet on Monday.

The business park is currently being served by the Village Hotel, which opened 10 years ago, as well as a Travelodge and a Premier Inn.

But the applicants behind the new proposal, Highbridge Business Park Ltd, say there is increasing demand for hotel rooms, particularly as the company expects that there will be an extra 6,000 employees on the park by 2015. It claims that the hotel and shops are needed to ensure that Cobalt competes with other business parks.

Town planning consultants, Nathaniel Lichfield and Partners have submitted objections on behalf of De Vere Hotels and Leisure, which is the owner of The Village Hotel.

FULL ARTICLE HERE - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...1634-27273409/

This has now been approved. No images but the exact location, between Orange and Proctor & Gamble, can be seen on p22 (after a long and tedious list of nit-picking conditions imposed by NTC).

http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/pls/...ad?p_ID=517831
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #105
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
IHG signs eighteen new hotels in Europe

InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), the world's largest hotel group by number of rooms, has reported one of its most successful periods for hotel signings in Europe, adding 18 hotels to its European pipeline over the summer period.

The 2,375 new rooms are spread across the UK, Spain, Portugal, Germany, France, Russia and Turkey. These new additions mean IHG continues to hold the hospitality industry's largest development pipeline, with 1,300 hotels planned worldwide.

Kirk Kinsell, IHG's president for Europe, Middle East and Africa said, "These new signings demonstrate the confidence developers have in our brands and the strength of our marketing programmes. More than two-thirds of our guests come through our distribution channels such as the 52 million member strong Priority Club Rewards loyalty programme. This is why IHG-branded hotels are such a compelling proposition for owners and developers."

He continued: "It's encouraging to see that we've been able to maintain momentum with our growth strategy across Europe and around the world. As a business, we have continued to invest in the things that we believe make the biggest difference by strengthening our brands, increasing our scale and working more closely than ever with our hotel owners. This puts us in a great position to continue to take advantage of the market upturn and grow market share."

Hotel Indigo signings

Hotel Indigo Newcastle, managed by Sanguine Hospitality Ltd, is due to open in summer 2012. Currently a disused office building, the Hotel Indigo Newcastle will be a 148 room part conversion, part new build hotel located in the heart of the city centre.

Hotel Indigo Madrid Gran Via is set to open in spring 2012. The 89-bedroom hotel, owned by Orion, will be situated in the centre of Madrid, close to the Opera House, the Almudena Cathedral and the main museums in the area. It also has easy access to the main conference centres and train stations, making it ideal for both business and leisure guests.

Hotel Indigo Lisbon Baixa, owned by Sowhat Turismo is set to open early 2014. The 139 room hotel will be a conversion of an old convent located in the old city of Lisbon. Historic buildings in the old city centre are highly protected, making this project quite unique and a great fit with the Hotel Indigo brand.

The global roll out of IHG's boutique brand, Hotel Indigo continues with pace. There are currently 36 Hotel Indigo hotels open and 57 in the pipeline. Hotel Indigo is IHG's newest hotel brand and offers guests boutique hotel design with the peace of mind they get from staying with a large hotel group.

Staybridge Suites signings

Staybridge Suites Edinburgh, managed by BDL Management is set to open in autumn 2011. This new build hotel will have 121 extended stay suites and will be located within minutes of the city centre.

Crowne Plaza signings

The Crowne Plaza Istanbul Harbiye Turkey, owned by Gurcan Petrolculuk A.Ş. is scheduled to open at the beginning of 2011. The 285 room new build property will be located in the middle of Istanbul, close to Taksim, ICEC (the Istanbul Convention and Exhibition Centre) and the Metro connection.

Holiday Inn signings

Holiday Inn London Commercial Road, owned by Sleeptex, is scheduled to open in early 2012. The 137 room new build property is within easy access to the City of London and Canary Wharf.

Holiday Inn Newcastle Jesmond, owned by the Cairn Group, is set to open in October 2010 after a £3.5 million conversion. This 116 room hotel, which has been rebranded to a Holiday Inn hotel is located in an upmarket residential area close to the city centre.

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, also owned by the Cairn Group, is a 90 room hotel and is set to open in spring 2011.

The 142 room Holiday Inn Ekaterinburg in Russia has been converted from a former office building. It is due to open at the beginning of 2012. The hotel, owned by an associate company of the Ural Bank of Ekaterinburg, will be managed by IHG.

Holiday Inn Express signings

Holiday Inn Express Istanbul Ümraniye owned by Ege Titanyum Kimyevi Maddler Insaat Tekstil Sanayi Ve Ticaret will open in Turkey in summer 2012. This 110 room new development will be the second Holiday Inn Express signed this year in Istanbul.

Holiday Inn Express Istanbul Altunizade is an 80 room conversion property, owned by Seir Inşaat Turizm Danişmanlik ve Diş Ticaret Limited Şirketi. The hotel will open in spring 2011. Both the Holiday Inn Express Istanbul Altunizade and the Holiday Inn Express Istanbul Ümraniye are managed by Thiele Turizm Danismanlik Ltd, an affiliate of T&T Hotel Consulting.

Three more hotels have been signed with Foremost Hospitality HIEX GmbH in Germany. The Holiday Inn Express Leipzig City Centre, a 120 room new build is scheduled to open in winter 2011. Holiday Inn Hamburg Central Station, a 160 room new build hotel and Holiday Inn Express Hamburg City Hauptbahnhof, a 110 room new build hotel are both due to open in autumn 2012.

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre MEN Arena is a new build 192 room hotel located near New George Street in the heart of Manchester. The hotel, owned by Centre Island, is scheduled to open mid 2011.

Holiday Inn Express Nuneaton is owned by Tawnywood Hotels. This 100 room hotel, which has been rebranded to a Holiday Inn hotel, is due to open this autumn.

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham South A45 is an 83 room office conversion owned by Ace Hospitality Limited. The hotel, which will be managed by Then Hospitality, is due to open mid 2011.

Holiday Inn Express Marseille Provence Airport, owned by Wilburys Hotels Investment, is a 153 room new build hotel, scheduled to open in France in summer 2012.
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/1...irport%20hotel

Both Hotel Indigo and Holiday Inn mentioned, however no word on Crowne Plaza Stephenson Quarter...
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #106
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1548

I assume that means the name "Imperial" has been dropped completely, and that The Imperial Hotel, is now just a memory?
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #107
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

The below is from the N I A Website, and is 'much the same' as what has been on there for some time, but it does SEEM (or am I imagining it) a bit more 'specific' about the LATE 2010 opening . . .

Airport Hotel Development

A stunning new hotel is due to open at the airport in late 2010. The hotel will boast 180 luxury bedrooms and suites, state of the art conference facilities, bar, restaurant and a panoramic fitness centre.

Conference and Banqueting

The hotel will provide exceptional conference and meeting room facilities configured in theatre or boardroom style with breakout rooms.
Various room sizes catering for 6 to 300 persons will be available, as well as a conference and banqueting hall. The facilities will also be available for exhibitions, weddings and private parties.

Check In

A spacious foyer accommodates fast check-in and check-out facilities. The hotel will also offer automated airline check-in facilities with flight information for both departure and arrivals on TV screens in all public areas in the hotel.
The airport terminal building is a short 2-minute walk from the hotel foyer.

Additional facilities and services include:

- Concierge
- Valet Service
- Onsite Car Hire
- Dedicated Taxi Rank
- Long term on site Parking Facilities
- 24-hour Room Service

Watch out for more information coming soon
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #108
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 4

It saddens me when I see the currect state of this impressive building. The website details are only updated periodically and havent changed for many months. Don't expect much movement on this any time soon. HDT still not fully committed and there is still a hell of a lot of internal and external fit out to be completed. The site is currently mothballed as has been the case for over a year, so unless something extraordinary happens expect the date to run into 2011.
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #109
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

NOT the 'normal' sort of HOTELS information that I would post on here - but just out of interest!!

100 evacuated after fire at the Vermont Hotel
October 8th 2010, by Lisa Hutchinson, Evening Chronicle

MORE than 100 guests were evacuated after a fire broke out at a city centre hotel.

Some dressed in their nightwear stood in the cold as firefighters extinguished the blaze at the Vermont Hotel, Castle Garth, Newcastle.

Twenty firefighters tackled the flames which broke out in the laundry room.

The incident is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in a tumble dryer.

Fire crews from the West End, West Denton and Byker, all in Newcastle, and a team from Gateshead, extinguished the fire which broke out at 11.13pm last night.

The laundry room, an office, a storage room and changing room, all on the second floor were severely damaged by heat and smoke. A conference room on the floor above was also left smoke-damaged. As thick black smoke filtered through the seven-storey hotel, guests were evacuated via the entrance near the Moot Hall. Some went to the Bridge Hotel pub to get out of the cold.

Stuart Matthews, crew manager at Colby Court’s West End fire station, said: “When we got there, the staff had very quickly evacuated the guests.

“There were about 100 who had been taken out of the entrance near the Moot Hall. Some were in their nightwear.

“Many of them stayed outside while we went in, but some went to the nearby Bridge Hotel pub.

“The fire had started in the laundry room due to an electrical fault in a tumble dryer.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz11lhS1dDs
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #110
TownPlanningNE

Just out of curiosity... if the hotel is only on seven of the floors whats on the other four? or is it just poor journalism?
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #111
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Airport Hotel

Re the Airport Hotel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
The below is from the N I A Website, and is 'much the same' as what has been on there for some time, but it does SEEM (or am I imagining it) a bit more 'specific' about the LATE 2010 opening . . .
As mentioned just a few posts previously, there is no operator currently committed to take on this site (and to complete the detailled work to bring it up to operational status).

This is particularly true of the quoted facilities, which would be entirely a matter for an operator to specify and install.
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #112
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

Downing have a consent for a hotel next to their NUBS site but don't have an operator and the scheme is parked.
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #113
TownPlanningNE

Is what we're saying that hotels aren't doing too great at the moment in the city? Airport hotel, Crowne Plaza and Downing Plaza all examples of this? I guess we just have to wait for things to pick up?
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #114
gregstone

Likes (Received): 20

I think it's more a case of no-one can borrow the money needed to embark on major construction on a speculative basis
gregstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #115
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

How long does planning permission last before it lapses?
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #116
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstone View Post
I think it's more a case of no-one can borrow the money needed to embark on major construction on a speculative basis
But if you have an operator signed up then its not speculative; why are the operators not signing up to these schemes? Or do the operators have to fund some of the construction costs? I'm not sure...
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #117
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownPlanningNE View Post
But if you have an operator signed up then its not speculative; why are the operators not signing up to these schemes?
The element of 'speculation' is the gamble that the venture (once it is constructed, fitted out, staff recruited & trained, marketing launched and then beginning to count the punters) will generate enough income over expenditure to also cover the finance cost, as well as the cost of the construction. And Finance costs have risen very sharply - if you can get it. Its generally not available!

In the case of the few projects I have knowledge of, there continues to be a reasonable amount of speculative interest, but as GS quite rightly says, finance for the construction and development sector is scarce. The gamblers simply can't play if they can't borrow to fund the initial investment (even just start-up costs). This is actually quite understandable if we look at the large number of commercial properties that were in mid-construction in 2007 and which suddenly had no prospect of a tenant - the Real Estate Sector was, and still is, crippled.
Just today I had to listen, in some pain, to a bank refusing to help another viable venture. But much as I'd love to blame the banks, there is very little evidence to show that hotels in Newcastle would turn a profit even with high finance costs. If anything, the evidence suggests they wouldn't. I know of one venture (supported by our RDA) which often doesn't generate enough income to cover the insurance costs (never mind the actual cost of trading such as wages, energy, marketing and materials)!

These are changed times, and we mustn't assume that the pre-2007 rules and expectations will return. Future growth will come from other sectors, not commercial construction.

Last edited by DXNewcastle; October 8th, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #118
GBDT

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Used to be 5 years?

GBDT

Last edited by GBDT; October 9th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
GBDT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #119
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Section 91 of the 1990 Act (England and Wales) says Three Years although that is a default value and permission may, exceptionally, be granted with alternative conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDT View Post
Used to be 5 years?
GBDT
Where details are provided later for permission they may be considered as 'reserved matters' which must be submitted within the Three Years for implementation within another Two Years (total = 5).

The government recently consulted on a new type of Application, an "extension of time for implementation beyond the period authorised by the original permission" but has only partly legislated to implement this potential to extend permissions : it can be done within the original 3 years and before development begins..
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #120
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Euro Hostel bringing cheap rooms to Newcastle
October 19th 2010, by Sara Nichol, Evening Chronicle

A NEW budget hostel is set to open in Newcastle after a £6m revamp of a City Centre office.

The 260-bed Euro Hostel will open in Carliol Square, Newcastle, next March, bringing with it 40 new jobs.

The four-storey building, which used to be office space and a photographic studio, is in the process of undergoing a huge transformation to turn it into the city’s newest overnight accommodation.

When it’s finished the 260 rooms will range from singles and doubles to family rooms and dormitories sleeping 10.

Every room will be en-suite and come with the usual amenities expected in a budget hotel.

William McClelland, the managing director of Euro Hostel who is from the North East, said he was looking forward to bringing the company to his home town.

He said: “We are thrilled to be developing our latest hostel in Newcastle city centre.

“The city is known worldwide for its hospitality and exciting nightlife as well as being a thriving cultural centre and shopping hotspot.

“I am so excited to be bringing Euro Hostel to my home city.

“Budget accommodation is more popular than ever.

“In fact, it is the fastest growing sector of the hotel industry and has been for many years.

“We are able to provide everything from modern, fully-equipped dormitories for backpackers and groups as well as private rooms for individuals and families of up to five.

“Our customers welcome the range on offer.

“We’re also going to have a stylish bar open to the public, which will completely turn around people’s perceptions of what modern 21st Century hostels have to offer.”

Euro Hostel has previously provided accommodation in Newcastle, setting up in Northumbria University halls of residence at Garth Heads, near the Quayside in the summer of 2005, 2007 and 2008. The new hostel will also create around 40 new jobs, with recruitment beginning early next year.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz12oIT5uvS

Tags
accommodation, development, developments, holiday, hotel, hotels, newcastle, newcastle hotels