search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1547

ADMIN THREAD - Ideas, Suggestions, SSC/Mods Messages, Thread Title Change Requests, etc

This is the "General Admin" thread for this Forum . . .
This is a NEW version of the opening post, re-written on 21st October 2010.

Purpose of this thread:

1 - WE SHOULD CONSTANTLY REVIEW OUR SUB-FORUM, AND DISCUSS AMONGST OURSELVES IF IT IS MEETING OUR NEEDS . .

It was quite a long time coming, but we finally got our own North East England sub-forum (with its four internal forums) not long ago, on 14th October 2009.

Since then, in my opinion, we have grown well, and have gone from strength to strength. However, not everyone on here might feel that it is working (for them) quite as well as I think it is?

The idea of this thread is to use it as a place where we can all come together to discuss and praise and criticise, or whatever, and "plan together" for the future of our forum.

I think this would be a very useful tool, somewhere where we can pool all our thoughts and ideas all in one place.

I will also use this thread myself, as Forum Moderator, to make any announcements or points that I may need to make, from time to time.

There is a similar thread on all four of our ‘internal’ forums, within the North East England main sub-forum, and I hope you will make use of this one (on YOUR forum) to express your views, opinions and ideas!

As your Moderator, I will of course be available to help, in whatever way I can, as well as carrying out the usual other moderating functions, such as maintenance of general standards of behaviour, etc. (Not that I expect to have to do much of the latter!)

2 - ADVICE & GUIDANCE . .

I will add the above in new posts to this thread ('Announcements', as SkyscraperCity call them) from time to time.

First one below . .

"Setting up a new Project Thread".

I hope we have lots of new individual 'Project Threads' to set up, as that means there is a lot of development going on!

Project Threads are, in many ways, our most important type of thread, but there are a few GUIDELINES to follow, when setting them up . . .

A - Always use the standard SkyscraperCity format. For this, have a look at existing 'Project Threads' on this forum.

B - Use the TAG . . . Project - Newcastle Area . . . ALL other Project Threads have this TAG, and it means you can click it and pull up a screen of all ongoing projects on this forum, at any time. Useful, if you want to move direct from one project thread to another.

C - In your thread title, use only the following SUFFIXES . .

Pre-planning - Project is still in the design and consultation phase
Proposed - Project has been submitted for planning permission
Approved - Project has been approved by Planning
Demolition - Demolition underway on site
Preparation - Site clearance/excavation/piling/foundations
U/C - Core and superstructure rising (ie, Under Construction)
T/O - Topped Out. The tower or other building, has reached its maximum height
Completed - Internally and externally complete.
Postponed - Where work ceases temporarily.
Cancelled - Cancellation of Project.

As the project progresses, when the suffix (or anything else in the title) needs amending, just add a note to this 'Forum Admin' thread.

3 - IN CONCLUSION

Please write to me on this thread, or send me a PM, whenever you need to contact me.

Anyway, to start the debate off . . there have been some VERY interesting comments made recently, on a thread called "Should some subforums be merged?" which bigchrisfgb drew to our attention a week or so ago on the Skybar.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1043353

I have inserted parts of two of the comments from that thread, below.

They are significant because of who wrote them. As most of you know, Gothicform is the website (ALL of Skyscraper City) owner. To receive two such strong praiseworthy comments about us on this forum, is excellent, but I think that it is what Gothic writes in the second quote, that is the most significant. I interpret what Gothic writes, to mean that we (little old us) are really making our mark on SSC, and all to the good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform; Jan 14th 2010 View Post
The Newcastle one is a shining example of something actually working well, and in that case i was wrong! it has some *very* dedicated and educated posters on it. i wish more of ssc was like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform; Jan 16th 2010 View Post
Newcastle represents a fork in the SSC project really into general architecture and local history. I personally like it.

It is not really the mission statement of this place though, to create things like that...

Where Gothic says, "Newcastle represents a fork in the SSC project really into general architecture and local history" thats what I mean by a SIGNIFICANT comment about our forum!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; May 3rd, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #2
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

Well if anyone is conerned about us losing our Sub-Forum, Gothic has came out and said it's not going to happen, we are one (if not the best) performing Sub-Forum on SSC. But I agree with Historian that we should every so often, (say ever quarter of year, which is about now) look to see whats working, whats not. Maybe if that means say merging dead threads that may still play a role in the future, or merging thread that were created without much though, for example like my happy birthday thread.

We should also look to see what we are missing, if theirs any projects that are not coverd on here, if theirs anything worthy that you guys want to discuss, or simply if their is a thread or such that we could create to get other people to join, say purhaps taking some people away from 28daylater etc

We should also more importantly see if anyone feels under valued on this forum, or some of their posts arn't being valued or taken notice of. I don't want anything like that happening on this forum, but if any memeber feels that way then hopefully they should tell us.

Remember guys we worked so hard for this Sub-Forum for all of you, this is your Sub-Forum, have your say.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #3
nadj

Likes (Received): 3

I'd just like to say I'm really enjoying this forum so far. I don't spend much time getting involved in forums and suchlike but, since I found this one when doing some research, visiting has become a nightly occurence - always something to learn, always some interesting points of view and, above all, always some good civilised debate about things that really do matter to the future of the area in which we live. Like gothicform pointed out, it's the dedication and knowledge of the people on here that has made this forum what it is, and what makes it stand out from the rest.

I think the local history threads are just as important as the threads on current development, as to fully understand the future we also need to understand the past. We can't know which projects are truly for the good of the city without knowing what has gone before and what lessons there are to be learned.

All I can say is, well done on the hard work! There's not much (that I'm aware of) like this subforum out there and I think it's only going to get better.
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #4
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I'd have to echoe Nadj's words - I think this has developed into an absolutely cracking forum, in no small part due to NH and Chris's efforts.

I can't think of any changes I'd like to see put into place at the moment, but it's a good idea to have a thread in case someone thinks of something.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Deebex

Likes (Received): 9

I was a long time lurker on the old single thread forum, and was pretty sceptical that there'd be enough interest to keep the new forum going. How wrong I was! I think the new forum is excellent, with a superb range of threads. There's nothing that I can see could improve it tbh.
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

The only thing I'd like is a forum 'quick jump' menu at the bottom of the page so you can go back to the forum index but that's a problem with the board not the content.

Merging some threads would be good if there is little/no activity.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #7
jwmacintyre

Likes (Received): 1

On the main page of SSC the UK & Ireland section does not have a link to the northeast forums, it would be a good idea if we could be added to that so its quicker to get to.

Jimi Hendrix
jwmacintyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #8
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmacintyre View Post
On the main page of SSC the UK & Ireland section does not have a link to the northeast forums, it would be a good idea if we could be added to that so its quicker to get to.
Yes, that is something that I have brought up, I plan on bringing up that subject again. Though maybe some of us should bookmark the Newcastle Metro Area section like I do, also I use Firefox so it always pops up, and infact I'm always logged on here when I'm on the internet.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #9
TownPlanningNE

I believe things are going extremely well. The forum is full of high quality information and content. Very impressed.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #10
nadj

Likes (Received): 3

Perhaps this should be made a "sticky" thread?
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #11
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 4

Perhaps it should be moved to the general NE section?
bobalania no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #12
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmacintyre View Post
I agree, all the big cities are listed except us. We should be added.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #13
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadj View Post
Perhaps this should be made a "sticky" thread?
A good idea nadj, but I have been told by the mods that we should not have any more 'stickys", as the five we have is more than enough. Too many of them at the top of the forum, makes the place look 'sterile' (or some word like that) with the same threads at the top all the time. Five, is about enough!

We will just have to 'remember' that this thread is around, if we haven't used it in a while. I'm sure it will keep popping up to the top, from time to time!!
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #14
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Yeah, like I said it should pop up every 3-6 months, so in 3-6 months I'll dig it out, unless anyone has any ideas or concerns in the mean time.

Also I asked Gothic about the fast link to the NE Sub-Forum on the home page of SSC, and unfortunatly their is no room left for anymore, even the East Midlands had to left out of it aswell.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; January 26th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #15
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

FORUM HOUSEKEEPING!

OK, our first 'specific thread' issue . .

Third from the bottom of our sub-forum, is a very short thread (four posts only) called "Newcastle Paramount (old Odeon) Updates" - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...3#post15664653

Now, we have a LOT of discussion going on about the ODEON, at the moment, and it is all contained withing the 'East Pilgrim Street' thread.

In order to rationalise the two, I would suggest we either delete the Odeon thread (last used October 1st 2007) or at the very least 'merge it' into EPS, as otherwise (to avoid a 'split' of discussions) we would need to transfer a LOT of recent posts FROM the EPS thread to the old Odeon thread! Then agree not to discuss the Odeon on the EPS thread!

I would vote for, in this case, deletion of the old Odeon thread.
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #16
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Merge the posts into the EPS thread, never just deleate a thread, but that question should be in thenaming and moving threads thread. Infact can this thread not be merged with that thread?, that that way it is stickied and the 2 threads are very similar in what they do in anyway.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebex View Post
My apologies, I gave you a bit of duff info. The 'Ouseburn Developments' web-site has been discontinued. It's been replaced with the following link:

http://www.ouseburnnewcastle.org/

I'm not sure it should be in the Local History bit as the site is designed to give updates on development proposals and regeneration in the Ouseburn. It's not been updated for a couple of months but will hopefully be updated regularly in the future.

Thanks Deebex, I have replaced the URL and amended the title of the website to "OUSEBURN - WELCOME TO THE OUSEBURN".

I have also still kept it listed in 'Section 9', next to the 'Ouseburn trust' website link.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=990561

To give that category (Section 9) a slightly broader coverage, to make it easier to include Local Interest websites like this one, I have now changed the category name from "Local Photos and Local History Websites" . . . to "Local Photos, Local History and Local Interest Websites", which just gives it that slightly wider coverage, to enable me to more easily include all the 'similar' types of site in there, that I want to!

So, thanks for the 'nudge'!!

The "WEBSITES THREAD" is a constantly evolving thread, I have found!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM   #18
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
Past the 16k post mark!
Old February 4th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #19
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
The link to the thread above is here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1058549

I would very much appreciate it if NH ( NH)could copy this link onto the "Useful website links" so that everyone can have veiw and easy access to it once the Skybar has move on a few pages.

Also thanks to hollow man who has already posted on there before I was able to get the link up.

DONE . . .

It is in Section 20.

NEWCASTLE AUSTRALIA - TWIN CITY SSC THREAD
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1058549

I wasn't sure what 'title' to give it, let me know if you are happy or not with the above, Chris.
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #20
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Out of interest, do we have a general thread about regeneration? I've been reading through a recent report which is pretty interesting if regeneration's your sort of thing - the link to it is here:

http://www.thenorthernway.co.uk/news.asp?id=824

Not sure if this should just go here or be put into a particular thread, or whether we should have a regeneration thread etc... Anyway, might be worth a look.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
admin, forum changes, ideas, moderation, moderator messages, newcastle, north east england, suggestions, thread title changes