search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #61
WilfBurnsFan
Registered User
 
WilfBurnsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 2,710
Likes (Received): 59

Just an idea - but there are a number of derelict and/or abandoned buildings around town which really ought to be in use - those on EPS are a special case perhaps, but others include the North Street terrace of c19 brick houses facing John Dobson Street, and - to my mind the most scandalous neglected building of all - the Barber Surgeon's Hall just off Rye Hill. Would these (with additions of other favousrite neglectees from members) make a useful thread for 'naming and shaming', discussion of possible uses, networking etc?
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM   #62
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,431
Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Just an idea - but there are a number of derelict and/or abandoned buildings around town which really ought to be in use - those on EPS are a special case perhaps, but others include the North Street terrace of c19 brick houses facing John Dobson Street, and - to my mind the most scandalous neglected building of all - the Barber Surgeon's Hall just off Rye Hill. Would these (with additions of other favousrite neglectees from members) make a useful thread for 'naming and shaming', discussion of possible uses, networking etc?

Wilf, sounds like a good idea to me, a thread called (say) . . .

Abandoned Buildings - What could be done with them?

Now, I wonder if this could be incorporated with a 'new thread' idea that I have been toying with, for quite a while.

My own 'concern' (in a similar sort of way) is with 'GAP Sites', such as 57 Quayside, Imperial Quay, plot opposite City Library etc. There are quite a few others, in fact!

So, how about a thread (combining both of these) called something like . .

Abandoned Buildings & Gap Sites - What could be done with them?

(or, something like that?)
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM   #63
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect
 
AngerOfTheNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,721
Likes (Received): 130

Sounds like a good thread to me...
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM   #64
Deebex
Registered User
 
Deebex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 356
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Sounds like a good thread to me...
I agree!

And add Spillers Mill to the list.

Though I'm not sure 'Abandoned' is the best phrase. There are some sites which are simply mothballed/left dormant (such as Spillers Mill) until people can figure out what to do with them, or until the market becomes more favourable.

Is 'Undeveloped buildings' better?
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:10 AM   #65
johnnypd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,423
Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Wilf, sounds like a good idea to me, a thread called (say) . . .

Abandoned Buildings - What could be done with them?

Now, I wonder if this could be incorporated with a 'new thread' idea that I have been toying with, for quite a while.

My own 'concern' (in a similar sort of way) is with 'GAP Sites', such as 57 Quayside, Imperial Quay, plot opposite City Library etc. There are quite a few others, in fact!

So, how about a thread (combining both of these) called something like . .

Abandoned Buildings & Gap Sites - What could be done with them?

(or, something like that?)
great idea NH, it's a topic that would, unfortunately for Newcastle, leave a lot for us to discuss. get it going!
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:07 AM   #66
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,431
Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettySwanson View Post
Fantastic photos here taken in the late 80's of Northern England housing.

http://fields.eca.ac.uk/gis/

The above website has now been added to 'Section 9' of the "WEBSITES" thread . . .

TOWER BLOCK - LATE 1980s NORTH EAST TOWER BLOCK PHOTOS
http://fields.eca.ac.uk/gis/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM   #67
BettySwanson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
The above website has now been added to 'Section 9' of the "WEBSITES" thread . . .

TOWER BLOCK - LATE 1980s NORTH EAST TOWER BLOCK PHOTOS
http://fields.eca.ac.uk/gis/
Thanks for moving the post NH.

Forgot to mention that the website is from the writers of the book Tower Block (now out of print?) - which is available on their site in full as a .pdf
BettySwanson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:03 AM   #68
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,431
Likes (Received): 1548

I don't normally notice these things, but we have JUST passed the 20,000 post mark!

Quantity and Quality.

"WELL DONE US"
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #69
johnnypd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,423
Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I don't normally notice these things, but we have JUST passed the 20,000 post mark!

Quantity and Quality.

"WELL DONE US"
nice one. didnt take us long to go from a single thread to a proper subforum
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #70
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,431
Likes (Received): 1548

.
Geordie Ahmed

Can the below new PROJECT, be added to the 'Development Summary' thread, please.


New BT building (Harton Staithes) | South Shields | 4fl | Approved

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1059459



Thanks Geordie.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #71
Geordie Ahmed
Registered User
 
Geordie Ahmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 971
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
.
Geordie Ahmed

Can the below new PROJECT, be added to the 'Development Summary' thread, please.


New BT building (Harton Staithes) | South Shields | 4fl | Approved

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1059459



Thanks Geordie.
Thanks for the alert

Its been added
Geordie Ahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #72
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,620
Likes (Received): 640

Ok, just a little reminder, mainly aimed at the new comers.

Please do not create threads that ask a question and then will have no purpase, please ask general question in the questions and answers/general fact thread or the Skybar.
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #73
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect
 
AngerOfTheNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,721
Likes (Received): 130

Following on from the Tynemouth thread...

I'm not sure if this needs its own thread, but I've recently been thinking that we should maybe think about commenting on planning applications (individually, not as a group). It struck me how much we talk about the merits and faults of different applications, writing paragraph after paragraph, but don't do anything with these views. I think you can submit comments on applications by email, meaning that anyone that cares about an application one way or another could easily add weight for/against an application by doing a similar amount of typing, just not on this website. It's a basic right that everyone in this country has.

All we'd need would be the application address whenever an application was lodged, which seems to happen in some cases already. Maybe these could go on the thread involving that application, or a central "application" thread?

Any thoughts?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #74
bigchrisfgb
The Legend
 
bigchrisfgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 12,620
Likes (Received): 640

Here is a question for guys (and one girl so far).

How many of you think the Jesmond Dene House ARP HQ thread is a good thread and how many of you think it will become a dead thread?

I ask this because personally I cannot see much of a point in this thread and it coud be merged into the Historic Newcastle thread, however NH seems to think that even though at first he also thought it would become a dead thread he can see something in it. I have said that if more was to come from this thread, for example wartime memeries etc then it would need to be renamed to expand it's target post capture, but I myself still think such stories and articles should come under the historic Newcastle thread.

So since me and NH (and help from others) got this Sub-Forum up and running for you, we both believe that you should have a say in what happens with this thread.
__________________
The stars are falling into bombs!

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #75
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,431
Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Here is a question for guys (and one girl so far).

How many of you think the Jesmond Dene House ARP HQ thread is a good thread and how many of you think it will become a dead thread?

I ask this because personally I cannot see much of a point in this thread and it coud be merged into the Historic Newcastle thread, however NH seems to think that even though at first he also thought it would become a dead thread he can see something in it. I have said that if more was to come from this thread, for example wartime memeries etc then it would need to be renamed to expand it's target post capture, but I myself still think such stories and articles should come under the historic Newcastle thread.

So since me and NH (and help from others) got this Sub-Forum up and running for you, we both believe that you should have a say in what happens with this thread.
This is part of the eternal effort that we are making to try and ensure that this superb forum does not become clogged up with endless 'short lived value' (as Chris call them) DEAD THREADS.

That is why (for example) there is the 'Questions Answered' thread, for all the little questions that have appeared as threads recently.

That is why there are the threads like 'Historic Newcastle' that group together all similar-subject issues that would otherwise have spawned a hundred independent (never re-visited) 'dead threads'.

We have many similar discussion threads . . . restaurants, pubs, retail, etc, etc, all of which serve this same purpose.

Now, I think we all know this, so why am I saying it?

Simply to amplify the point Chris is making, as to why threads like the recent "where was this food court" type thread have been merged into the questions thread and that we are continuing to keep an eye on similar emerging threads, such as the current "Benton Farm?" one, which Chris has asked the mods to merge.

That brings me to the one Chris has mentioned . . . Jesmond Dene House ARP HQ.

At first sight this is another similar short-lived (soon to be dead and forgotten) thread.

My point was that while I thought this at first, I then read it as an "appeal" for information thread, that could have a life of its own, for a while. This would give people chance to respond to the originator.

It could be merged into (say) the Historic thread, at a later date.

Thats my opinion.

But, the main issue to come out of this discussion (for me) is that it really is a constant battle to avoid the forum becoming full of these short lived threads (usually posted by newcomers) when there will be a "subject thread" already (eg, pubs, retail, historic, etc) where they could/should have been posted, which would have kept the subject alive a lot longer!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #76
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,431
Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Here is a question for guys (and one girl so far).

How many of you think the Jesmond Dene House ARP HQ thread is a good thread and how many of you think it will become a dead thread?

I ask this because personally I cannot see much of a point in this thread and it coud be merged into the Historic Newcastle thread, however NH seems to think that even though at first he also thought it would become a dead thread he can see something in it. I have said that if more was to come from this thread, for example wartime memeries etc then it would need to be renamed to expand it's target post capture, but I myself still think such stories and articles should come under the historic Newcastle thread.

So since me and NH (and help from others) got this Sub-Forum up and running for you, we both believe that you should have a say in what happens with this thread.
I have responded to this on the 'naming and moving threads' thread!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #77
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist
 
toonlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whitley Bay, nr. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Posts: 1,656
Likes (Received): 45

I totally understand the need for keeping the forum in order, but I think the rules should be a bit more relaxed as after all this is a public forum so people should be free to post as they choose to. Threads that die fall to the bottom of the list, so over time there is a natural selection with the most active threads being the most visible.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #78
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist
 
Newcastle Historian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 20,431
Likes (Received): 1548

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
I totally understand the need for keeping the forum in order, but I think the rules should be a bit more relaxed as after all this is a public forum so people should be free to post as they choose to. Threads that die fall to the bottom of the list, so over time there is a natural selection with the most active threads being the most visible.

I think the main point about that is that there could be a lot of information of interest in these threads (that experience tells me) will not be looked at as they slip out of use and out of sight down the forum.

If they can be kept alive on a 'subject' thread, such as the retail thread or the questions answered thread (or whichever) that information is always accessible on a currently-active thread near the top of the forum.

That is certainly how it has been working successfully so far.

It is not really a question of 'being relaxed', it is more a question of maximising and optimising every posters contribution to the forum.

I have a great deal of experience of forums where no effort to manage the content is made. They end up in an awful situation, where "everyone is doing their own thing" and no-one can find anything.

Eventually, people give up, and the forum fades away.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #79
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist
 
toonlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Whitley Bay, nr. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Posts: 1,656
Likes (Received): 45

Fair points. I still think there is room for the occassional off topic thread though, especially from newbies who perhaps aren't familiar with how things work.

But I do agree things have been working so far... very well
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #80
b4mmy
★★★
 
b4mmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Macclesfield
Posts: 12,802
Likes (Received): 594

Yes, I haven't done these for the reasons NH stated, in that, for the time being they do have a life, and eventually they will be come 'answered' or 'fulfilled'.
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
admin, forum changes, ideas, moderation, moderator messages, newcastle, north east england, suggestions, thread title changes

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu