search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM   #61
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

I never knew there were so many allotments in Newcastle. Just found the below Map and List:

MAP of Allotments in Newcastle - http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfiler...afletpage2.pdf

LIST of Allotment Sites in Newcastle (Below is a KEY to the above MAP)

1 Armstrong
2 Back Byker Street
3 Beaumont Terrace
4 Benwell Lane
5 Blayney Row
6 Blucher
7 Branxton Crescent A
8 Branxton Crescent B
9 Brunswick
10 Burnopfield Gardens
11 Chelmsford Grove
12 Coxlodge
13 Dene Terrace
14 Denton Bank
15 Denton Dene
16 Dinnington
17 Fenham Model
18 Gloucester Road
19 Grandstand Road
20 Greenwater Pool
21 Hazlerigg
22 Hexham Avenue
23 High Heaton (4 sites)
24 High West Jesmond
25 Highbury South
26 Highbury North
27 Hulne Terrace
28 Iris Brickfield
29 Keebledale
30 Lemington
31 Little Moor
32 Longstone Square
33 Moorside
34 Newbiggin Hall
35 Norham Road
36 Nunsmoor
37 Oxnam Gardens
38 Premier
39 Rectory Road
40 Richmond Terrace
41 Ridgewood Cresent
42 Salters Lane
43 Schoolhouse Allotments
44 Sherringham Avenue
45 St. Anthonys
46 St. Gabriels
47 St. Michaels
48 Stephen Street
49 Stotes Hall
50 Three Mile
51 Triangle
52 Tweed Street
53 Walker Road
54 Walkergate 3A
55 Walkergate 3B
56 Walkergate Hospital
57 West Jesmond
58 Westmacott Street
59 Whinneyfield Road
60 Woodbine Terrace
61 Woodlea Gardens
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2010, 12:14 AM   #62
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I am surprised; God only knows what sort of crap is buried under there and making its way upwards. Though maybe there are parts of the site that aren't Ouseburn infill?
Fingers crossed! Either way, it's a big step in the right direction by NCC!
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #63
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Anger at decision to axe Gateshead allotments
by Linda Richards, Evening Chronicle, January 20th 2011

A POLITICIAN who gave up his day job to live the “Good Life” is furious following a decision to axe council allotments. Green-fingered Coun Jonathan Wallace has spoken out against Gateshead Council for scrapping 98 allotments in the borough.

Like the characters played by Richard Briers and Felicity Kendal in the 1970s sit-com The Good Life, the Whickham South and Sunniside councillor become self-sufficient in suburbia.

He spends his spare time in his Sunniside allotment, a pastime enjoyed by many around the North East.

But he is angry that following a review of its assets, Gateshead Council’s cabinet members this week agreed that 98 allotments on 16 sites are surplus to requirements – at a time when there is a waiting list for plots.

The review identified a number of sites around Gateshead where there have been problems with misuse of the allotments and the general state of the environment.

Coun Wallace urged the meeting to reconsider the decision to close down the plots, pointing to a big demand for allotments which he said is likely to grow even stronger in future years.

“Many residents have applied for allotments in popular locations without being aware there are plots available on other sites,” he said.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1BazQcnbj
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #64
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 78

The failure of Newcastle United to get their hands on Leazes Park was a triumph for the City.

It eventually seemed to spur the council on to redevelop the park, alas, having visited it last week its gone right back downhill. Discarded bottles of wine, beer cans and even needles which I reported to a passing PCSO.

The Lake was also utterly filthy and the whole clientele was quite threatning
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #65
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkne View Post
The failure of Newcastle United to get their hands on Leazes Park was a triumph for the City.

It eventually seemed to spur the council on to redevelop the park, alas, having visited it last week its gone right back downhill. Discarded bottles of wine, beer cans and even needles which I reported to a passing PCSO.

The Lake was also utterly filthy and the whole clientele was quite threatning
Anyone know if the FRIENDS OF LEAZES PARK are still in existence?

Would be a waste of money and peoples time if the £4.9 million spent in 1996 on the Parks restoration is going down the toilet.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #66
GBDT

Likes (Received): 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Anyone know if the FRIENDS OF LEAZES PARK are still in existence?

Would be a waste of money and peoples time if the £4.9 million spent in 1996 on the Parks restoration is going down the toilet.
From Newcastle City Council's website.

The Friends of Leazes ParkThe Friends are an active group who campaigned and supported the restoration of the park. They help maintain the park through regular volunteer mornings and organising guest visits.

For the Friends of Leazes Park please contact Rosie Serdiville phone 0191 230 3797

Cheers
GBDT
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #67
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 78

I may give them a bell but I'll also pass my comments to the Council as well.

In the current climate I understand parks are getting hit but to leave an open space like Leazes with cans, bottles, needles and all sorts lying around isn't good for the city.

I know a few of the Student Union trips take perspective students and their families through the park on city tours, I'd be embarassed if they saw what I saw today
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #68
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Public could get vote on the future of green spaces
by Joanne Butcher, The Journal, March 12th 2011

Whitehouse Farm, Bellway Homes, West Moor Residents Association

PLANS to concrete over North Tyneside’s green spaces – including a development dubbed the “new Darras Hall” – could be set for a public vote.

North Tyneside council has agreed to consider holding a referendum over its development strategy for the next 15 years.

The vote could see a scheme for luxury development planned for land near West Moor thrown into uncertainty.

The Journal revealed Bellway’s plans for the 350 executive homes on Whitefield Farm, West Moor, in January.

It was hoped the four and five-bedroom properties would transform North Tyneside into a luxury enclave to rival desirable postcodes such as Darras Hall, near Ponteland, and Wynyard Woods, in Teesside.

But planning permission to build the houses relies on approval of the council’s core strategy document, which sets out development priorities until 2027.

Local families have launched a campaign against the draft document, which marks out Whitehouse Farm and other greenfield sites, such as Scaffold Hill in Holystone, near the Rising Sun Country Park, as “key housing sites” to meet building targets.

They say they haven’t had enough opportunity to comment on the future of the open spaces.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1GZ3a4WOR
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM   #69
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Celebration marks launch of Garden Map
by Tony Henderson, The Journal, March 22nd 2011

A CELEBRATION was the icing on the cake for the North East’s community gardening boom – in a special information launch held yesterday.

At the Ouseburn Farm in Newcastle, a new map was launched that details community gardens, allotments, orchards and urban farms across the region.

To mark the event, a cake in the shape of the map was cut and handed out.

The map, funded by the Sir James Knott Trust and the Big Lottery Fund’s Local Food Programme, has been published by the Federation of City Farms and Community Gardens (FCFCG), a charity which supports people to set up and run projects to grow their own food and have access to the natural world.

“Interest in creating gardening and food growing spaces has boomed in recent years, due to the popularity of issues such as food miles, climate change and healthy eating,” said Federation North of England development coordinator Mick Marston.

“It also enables people to meet others in their local community and to enjoy the outdoors. It takes pressure off people.”

The map will act as a guide to projects in the region which welcome visitors, from farm sites to small growing plots.

In addition to community-managed farms and gardens open to visitors and volunteers, the map also highlights groups such as community orchards, school growing projects and community-managed allotment gardens.

The map also lists 13 North East Millennium Greens and 28 Doorstep Greens.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1HLnwrspN
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM   #70
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

An excellent book about the 'Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne & Wear', reviewed by Steve Ellwood, here on the BOOKS Thread . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=184

(Book Review No. 112 - see under "B" on the INDEX Thread)

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #71
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

I can't remember if there's a separate thread for Jesmond Dene or not, if not I've probably put these in the wrong place.

Either way, I've dug out a few phone photos of the new visitor centre down by Pet's Corner (which itself has been totally rebuilt), designed by the brilliant Mosedale Gillatt (no, I don't work for them, sadly). Worth a visit, especially on a sunny day like this!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #72
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Jesmond Dene is one of the most special public spaces in the entire country. I love a walk through from Ouseburn to Gosforth when I'm back up north.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #73
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Yeah, I run through there a fair bit, I sometimes forget how spoilt I am to have somewhere like this so close.
Old July 5th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #74

There is nothing akin to it at all in York. Infact other than along the river and back again there are no nice walks in York at all. Forgot how spoilt I was in Newcastle for choice of parks, walks and nice scenery close to hand.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #75
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

That's true actually, although I wouldn't downplay just how nice the riverside is in York. The Museum Gardens are nice, but doing a lap or two of that is hardly a proper walk.
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
That's true actually, although I wouldn't downplay just how nice the riverside is in York. The Museum Gardens are nice, but doing a lap or two of that is hardly a proper walk.
No you're right it's lovely, and the river walk down to the Millenium Bridge or upto Clifton Water Lane Bridge is great, as are the museum gardens but that's about it so not too much excitement walks wise down here. Great place to visit York but I find it just a little too small a city to live in.
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #77
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Shame to hear that, I was considering applying to a few firms down there... Having said that, if someone offered me a job nearly anywhere I'd have to take it, jobs aren't easy to come by currently.
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #78

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm here for the next 18 months until my career will allow me to move on but will hopefully then as house prices are stupidly high here and without a car (and the lack of good cheap public transport in the local area) it's pretty difficult to cheaply escape the city to just go on a nice walk somewhere.

For example the train to Scarborough is something like £17 for a day return! And the immediate countryside around York is pretty flat, featureless and dull for 25 miles in any direction. You have to get past Leeds before it gets a bit more topographically interesting.

The city itself has plenty of nice pubs, bars and restaurants though, just a bit lacking in nature!
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #79
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
I can't remember if there's a separate thread for Jesmond Dene or not, if not I've probably put these in the wrong place. I've dug out a few phone photos of the new visitor centre down by Pet's Corner (which itself has been totally rebuilt) designed by the brilliant Mosedale Gillatt (no, I don't work for them, sadly). Worth a visit, especially on a sunny day like this!

This is definitely the right thread for 'Jesmond Dene discussions' - there are lots of posts about Jesmond Dene on here. As far as I can remember, the only 'open space' with its own thread is Town Moor.

I haven't been down to Pets Corner and the Visitor Centre since the big improvements were finished - I'll have to get there soon!
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #80
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Record number of green spaces rewarded
by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle, July 25th 2011

THE North East was today celebrating more quality parks and green spaces in the region than ever before.

A total of 65 locations today receive a national Green Flag Award and four win a Community Award.

Newcastle City Council has retained all 10 Green Flag awards for its parks.

Over the last seven years the council has invested £14.7m in its parks, with further Heritage Lottery funding of £2.4m recently awarded for improvements to the Exhibition Park, and £1.2m earmarked for improvements to Hodgkin Park as part of the Scotswood redevelopment, plus a bid for £2m for Walker Park.

The Newcastle Green Flag parks are:

Benwell Nature Park,
Gosforth Central Park,
Tyne Riverside Country Park,
Brandling Park,
Leazes Park,
Walker Park,
Heaton Park,
Paddy Freemans Park,
Nunsmoor Park
and
Elswick Park.

Also, Scotswood Community Garden gained a Community Award.

Henri Murison, council cabinet member for quality of life, said: “The parks and green spaces in the city play a key part in the quality of our residents’ lives, providing social, play and health opportunities.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1T7ZndXVw

Tags
allotment, allotments, denes, historic newcastle, newcastle, open space, open spaces, parks, public parks