search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #81
BigLebowski

Likes (Received): 49

Jesmond Dene tonight hosted Heartbreak Production's 'Taming of the Shrew', and will do tomorrow night as well. They were incredible, truly talented and come highly recommended, and you can 'pay at the door' if you want (no, i don't work for them!). They also do a production of Pinnochio in the afternoon for all of us with little'uns to entertain. Great production in a great venue.
BigLebowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #82
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I've been on several occasions to see the Heartbreak plays and I've never been disappointed. An absolutely brilliant evening in the park.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #83
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Gateshead's twinning links with Komatsu bloom
by Linda Richards, Evening Chronicle, July 30th 2011

Tom Potts with exchange student Takaaki Makagawa in Saltwell Park

A TOUCH of the Orient came to Tyneside when a traditional Japanese garden was officially unveiled.

The Friendship Garden in Gateshead’s Saltwell Park celebrates the 20-year relationship between Gateshead and its twin city Komatsu in Japan.

Ten gardeners from Komatsu City worked with council gardeners to create the haven featuring a stone pond and waterfall, where water is represented by gravel.

Komatsu’s former Mayor Mr Toru Nishimura made the offer of a garden when he visited the borough in 2008.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1TalT0KUU
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #84
growly grace

Likes (Received): 91

I seen the kingfisher in the dene this morning, hadn't seen him for months and months (I say "him" what ever one has a lot of "red") anyway fingers crossed it's returned.
The geordie kingfisher is flashy and feisty!
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #85
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
I seen the kingfisher in the dene this morning, . . . . .
Excellent news!
I last saw it in April, between the Old Mill and Fisherman's Lodge.
Meanwhile, its been good to see four swans making regular appearances in the Ouseburn (mainly downstream of the culvert but saw two in Jesmond Dene last week)
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM   #86
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

Was in Jesmond dene the other day and was impressed with the works that have taken place, nice to see the bridge that has been put in too, shame some Chav has daubed his name on it already!!!
My only concern was the loose material used on the footpaths as if we have a really heavy downpour or severe snowfall later in the year it would be washed away!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #87
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3600

Our quality parks need your vote!

This news item was on the NCC web site @ http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/news-sto...need-your-vote

Quote:
Earlier this year the council retained all of its prestigious Green Flags awarded for the quality of ten of Newcastle’s parks.

Now the Green Flag Award scheme is looking for the nation’s favourite park with the winner decided by public vote.

Green Flags are the national standard for excellence for parks and recognise excellent use of green space, well maintained facilities and high standards of safety and security.

The People’s Choice Award is an annual online vote that gives you the opportunity to put your favourite Newcastle park in the top spot as the nation’s favourite Green Flag park.

With 1,290 award-winning sites to choose from competition is fierce so we need everyone to get voting if they want to see a Newcastle park pick up the award.”

To register your vote simply visit the Green Flag website. Zoom in on the interactive map, find your favourite Newcastle park and click the ‘vote for this site’ button.

Voting for the People’s Choice Award winner closes at midday on Monday 12 September, and the winner will be announced on Wednesday 21 September.

The 10 Green Flag parks in Newcastle are

Benwell Nature Park, Atkinson Road (NE4 8XT)
Gosforth Central Park, Moor Road North (NE3 1XA)
Tyne Riverside Country Park, Grange Road (NE14 8ND)
Brandling Park, Moor Road North (NE2 4RR)
Leazes Park, Richardson Road (NE1 4LR)
Walker Park, Airy Terrace (NE6 3HR)
Heaton Park, Jesmond Vale Lane (NE6 5JS)
Paddy Freemans Park, Freeman Road (NE7 7EN)
Nunsmoor Park, Brighton Grove (NE4 5AU)
Elswick Park, Beechgrove Road (NE4 6SQ)

Couns Henri Murison, Cabinet Member for Quality of Life said, “It is a tremendous achievement for the city to have retained all ten of our Green Flags.

“The parks and green spaces in the city play a key part in the quality of our residents lives providing social, play and health opportunities. It is important to make the city fairer that all local people can have a park they and their family can enjoy, giving them access to green and open spaces.

“The flags are excellent recognition of the hard work of our Parks and Countryside team and the dedication shown by the staff and volunteer groups who work all year round to make valuable places for everyone in the city to enjoy."

Judges awarded the flags after deeming the parks welcoming, healthy and safe, clean and well-maintained, as well as being areas which are sustainable and involve the local community.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM   #88
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Peter Barratt's Garden Centre eases
Newcastle allotments shortage

Apr 19 2010 by Tony Henderson, The Journal

A GARDEN centre has stepped in to ease the shortage of allotment plots on Tyneside.

Demand for allotments is booming with more than 6,500 in the region on waiting lists.

Now Peter Barratt’s Gosforth Park Garden Centre, which is located on the east side of Newcastle Racecourse, in North Newcastle, has created 104 “Grow Your Own” plots.

They will be launched on Friday by North Tyneside mayor Linda Arkley and sheriff of Newcastle Brenda Hindmarsh.

Paul Barker, garden centre general manager, said: “The plots are being rented out to gardeners wishing to grow their own food.

“We’re meeting a real demand for plots from people in the community and we’re offering them the chance to grow their own with a little help from us.”

Each plot will be approximately 90 square metres.

A basic plot, which will cost £5 per week, will include access to a water trough.

Alternatively, people can have a site that includes a greenhouse, shed, and a water butt, for £10 per week.

The garden centre anticipates that half of the plots will have a greenhouse and shed but these can be provided for any site.

The whole site is rabbit-proofed and benefits from all the facilities available at the garden centre, including toilets and the restaurant. A starter kit will include a selection of free seeds, information pamphlets on what to grow when and a copy of a 1940s Ministry of Agriculture Dig For Victory leaflet as well as a complimentary hessian bag.

There will also be a voucher for money off tools, which can be redeemed at the garden centre.

Paul said: “We have already raised awareness of the plots with our customers and have been asking people to complete a form to register their interest.

“We intend to assign a plot to a group of less able gardeners as the site has disabled access. We’re also using another plot as a demonstration vegetable patch and have one plot left for a community group to use for free.”

People can register interest on 0191 236 7111 or by picking up an application form at the garden centre.

Once people have harvested their produce, the garden centre aims to create a market place for any surplus crops.

The plots are being rented out to gardeners wishing to grow their own food

I see that Planning Permission on this one has been Granted Conditionally - see http://planningapplications.newcastl...=LJHWIIBSAP000

2011/0590/01/DET | Installation of footpaths and erection of up to 98 sheds and 98 greenhouses with associated landscaping and provision of bollards to facilitate creation of 'grow your own' plots. | Peter Barratt's Garden Centre Great Lime Road Gosforth Park Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 5EP

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #89
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
I see that Planning Permission on this one has been Granted Conditionally - see http://planningapplications.newcastl...=LJHWIIBSAP000

2011/0590/01/DET | Installation of footpaths and erection of up to 98 sheds and 98 greenhouses with associated landscaping and provision of bollards to facilitate creation of 'grow your own' plots. | Peter Barratt's Garden Centre Great Lime Road Gosforth Park Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 5EP

Is this an extension of the existing area, do you think?
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #90
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Is this an extension of the existing area, do you think?
This paragraph appears in the Planning, Design and Access Statement:

The need for this application has arisen at the request of the Enforcement Team due to investigations into the current use and operations on the land as Grow Your Own Plot (GYOP). Issues of the use of the land, the presence of sheds and greenhouses and parking were raised.

Not been up there recently but perhaps this is a retrospective type of application?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 4th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #91
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Groundwork North East to create green map of Gateshead
by Michael Brown, The Journal, January 4th 2012

BUSINESSES, schools and residents are being urged to find out more about eco-efforts in their area with the launch of a new “green guide”.

As part of the Bensham and Saltwell Alive scheme Groundwork North East has been given almost £5,000 to map Gateshead’s greatest green spaces and bring together information on local environmental groups.

Senior project officer Sarah Knox said the project, funded by the borough council’s Local Community Fund, had been a great opportunity to start building links with and recognise some of the fantastic work that is being done by local schools, community groups and individuals.

“We have linked in with the Bensham and Saltwell Alive group who aim to celebrate the positive attributes of the area by working with local people to develop skills and interests in order to support new projects and events and help to make Bensham and Saltwell a better place to live and work,” she said.

“Groundwork is so pleased to be a part of this exciting on-going project which local people are encouraged to be involved in. “Bensham and Saltwell Alive are even on Facebook and I would encourage local people to take a look.”

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1iUFHcB7m
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #92
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Work continues on revamp of Wallsend parks
by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle, January 10th 2012

Left to right, Friends of Wallsend Parks' Sheila McIntyre and Jen Lilley with Wallsend Parks Manager Carl McClean

WORK is about to begin on the revival of the latest North East park to hit the lottery jackpot.

More than £60m in Heritage Lottery Fund and Big Lottery Fund money has proved crucial in rescuing the region’s parks in recent years from a spiral of decline that began 30 years ago.

Later this month the £7m Wallsend Parks project gets underway, covering three interconnected sites – the semi-formal Richardson Dees Park, the grounds of the listed Wallsend Hall, and what will be Prince Road Arboretum on an open grassland area sloping down to a natural burn.

Carl McClean, North Tyneside Council’s Wallsend Park manager, said that around half of Richardson Dees Park will close later this month for about 10 months to allow revitalisation work to take place.

This will include an improved and extended play site, refurbished tennis courts, new multi-use games area, and restoration of historic features including the bandstand, pavilion and Duffy memorial fountain.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1j3r5y6be

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 21st, 2014 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image link
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #93
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Grown-ups are banned from a park in Newcastle
by Coreena Ford, Evening Chronicle, January 16th 2012

HERE’S a park with a twist … adults must by accompanied by children. Signs posted outside the entrance to the park in Summerhill Square, Newcastle, have banned grown-ups from entering the city centre park, declaring them unwelcome unless they turn up with a child in tow.

And that’s got locals in Summerhill Square confused, as well as worried that they could be moved on if caught stepping into their popular little park. The sign boasts five logos, one of which is a no entry sign with the words “no adults without children”.

Irate resident Robin Field wrote to the council, asking if the sign was incorrect and should actually read “children must be accompanied by adults”.

The response he was sent states: “The play area at Summerhill Park is designed for children under the age of 8 and therefore I would fully expect young children to be accompanied by an adult.” Robin continued: “Their reply referred to a play area, and there is a corner with a few swings for children, but the sign isn’t anywhere near the playground, it’s actually at the entrance.

“If it refers to the playground, it doesn’t make it clear whether residents can use Summerhill Park or not unless accompanied by a child which was the basis of my initial inquiry. “I like to sit in the park in summer and read, and I wonder whether this will be possible this summer. Will I get moved on if I’m sat in the park with a book on my own?”

A spokesman for Newcastle City Council said: “The sign refers to the play area at Summerhill Square which is not enclosed with a fence and is about 20 metres from where the sign is located on the entrance to the square. It is possible that to some residents the sign could be misleading; however it clearly refers to the play provision. In an effort to avoid any potential confusion in the future the sign will be removed.”

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1jcrdGK00
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #94
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 158

Summerhill Park -16th Jan 2012

Quote:
Grown-ups are banned from a park in Newcastle
by Coreena Ford, Evening Chronicle, January 16th 2012

HERE’S a park with a twist … adults must by accompanied by children. Signs posted outside the entrance to the park in Summerhill Square, Newcastle, have banned grown-ups from entering the city centre park, declaring them unwelcome unless they turn up with a child in tow.

And that’s got locals in Summerhill Square confused, as well as worried that they could be moved on if caught stepping into their popular little park. The sign boasts five logos, one of which is a no entry sign with the words “no adults without children”.

Irate resident Robin Field wrote to the council, asking if the sign was incorrect and should actually read “children must be accompanied by adults”.

The response he was sent states: “The play area at Summerhill Park is designed for children under the age of 8 and therefore I would fully expect young children to be accompanied by an adult.” Robin continued: “Their reply referred to a play area, and there is a corner with a few swings for children, but the sign isn’t anywhere near the playground, it’s actually at the entrance.

“If it refers to the playground, it doesn’t make it clear whether residents can use Summerhill Park or not unless accompanied by a child which was the basis of my initial inquiry. “I like to sit in the park in summer and read, and I wonder whether this will be possible this summer. Will I get moved on if I’m sat in the park with a book on my own?”

A spokesman for Newcastle City Council said: “The sign refers to the play area at Summerhill Square which is not enclosed with a fence and is about 20 metres from where the sign is located on the entrance to the square. It is possible that to some residents the sign could be misleading; however it clearly refers to the play provision. In an effort to avoid any potential confusion in the future the sign will be removed.”

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1jcrdGK00

As this was my local park when I was a kid I hotfoot it along there on a cold and frost day.

The 'adults must be accompanied by a responsible child!' signs are nowhere to be seen.

This is a lovely oasis and would be shame if it were to be 'off-limits'.

More PC paranoia from public organisations who have tarred everyone with the same brush?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 21st, 2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Reduced Image size
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #95
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
As this was my local park when I was a kid I hotfoot it along there on a cold and frost day.

The 'adults must be accompanied by a responsible child!' signs are nowhere to be seen.

This is a lovely oasis and would be shame if it were to be 'off-limits'.

More PC paranoia from public organisations who have tarred everyone with the same brush?
I'm sure in my younger days - yonks ago! - parks with 'rides' always used to have an age limit on sign posts, not sure if it was something like 14 or thereabouts but these signs mentioned in the piece are just OTT

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #96
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 873

Well that's my evening sorted. I m off up there to march past the no adults signs. In fairness to NCC it s probably a case of cr#p signage too.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #97
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
So did your 'hot foot' leave imprints in the frost Adrian

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #98
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 158

Those are my 'footprints in the snow'!

Of course it was a cold and frosty day not frost day.

I remember there was a Pavillion at the top end of the park - but was demolished due to itinerant and other activity.
There was a tall guy with overcoat who lived in the park from the early sixties and used to wander round the city centre for 25 years or more. Never knew his name so probably not added to the 'Newcastle characters' thread.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #99
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Not specific to the area but the NE is the most active region in charging fees for persoal trainers who conduct training sessions in public parks. It quotes Tony McKenna and aNewcastle trainer who thinks he pays too much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16656288

My view is that if they are regularly conducting business activities in public parks, then they should be prepared to pay.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #100
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hodgkin Park, Scotswood.

CityLife - Winter/Spring 2012 issue . .

Tags
allotment, allotments, denes, historic newcastle, newcastle, open space, open spaces, parks, public parks