daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #101
G-CPTN

Likes (Received): 0

Hexham Courant is, today, reporting that the developer chosen for Hexham Bus Station has withdrawn.

This leaves the situation in doubt as to what will now become of the project.
G-CPTN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #102
ferret88

Likes (Received): 19

Hexham Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I really do not think the monument should be moved, it is an important feature of Hexham, in the place where it is, and has been all my life.

Here is a photo of it, that I recently found, taken by my father in August 1930 . . .

NH did your dad take any other interesting historical pics of Hexham from his time there? Would love to see them if so.

You might also be interested to know that there is currently a constantly looping selection of old films being shown in the Queen's Hall about Hexham, most of them from the 1950/60s, in the gallery upstairs.

F
ferret88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #103
G-CPTN

Hexham bus station switch is abandoned.

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...doned-1.928999
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:53 AM   #104
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88 View Post
NH did your dad take any other interesting historical pics of Hexham from his time there? Would love to see them if so.

You might also be interested to know that there is currently a constantly looping selection of old films being shown in the Queen's Hall about Hexham, most of them from the 1950/60s, in the gallery upstairs.

F

My Dad took a few, but only a very few, photos around Hexham in 1930, before he joined the Army (Royal Corps of Signals) and travelled the world with them until 1945.

So, he wasn't around Hexham much after 1930, until returning to live there in the early 1950s.

Apart from the one you have seen, I have been able to find a few more small prints of his (all from 1930, I think) from the Hexham of that era, which I have scanned in . . .

Hexham Abbey . .

The building that became (until recently) Tyndale Council Offices . .

Dene Cottage, opposite where the old General Hospital was. We had family living in that house, which is still there today, until the 1930s . .

No. 1 St Cuthberts Terrace (at junction with Battle Hill) where relatives lived in 1930 (The back of the print shown also) . .

While doing some Family History research recently, I found the location of the above photo, and took a photo of it today. That is my hand there, holding the print from 1930 into shot!! . .

So, sorry, not very much in my Dad's collection about "1930s Hexham", I'm afraid!

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; March 2nd, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #105
G-CPTN

In today's Hexham Courant, the chairman of the Planning Committee is mooting the idea that 'lay-bys' on Priestpopple are the way forward for the impasse of the bus station . . .
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #106
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

£28,000 Corbridge flood defence work starts
by Paul Tully, The Journal, March 6th 2012

BURROWING rabbits have weakened flood defences of a village badly hit by floods seven years ago – landing authorities with a bill for nearly £30,000.

The banks of the River Tyne at Corbridge, Northumberland, have slumped due to rabbits and human footfall, now the Environment Agency has launched a three-week, £28,000 repair job on the embankment at The Stanners.

The ruinous rabbits haven’t hit the parts that the floods breached in January 2005, flooding dozens of houses and businesses that took villagers months to clean up. There is no immediate risk of new floods, although the 350-metre stretch under repair from yesterday has been left unstable.

The flood bank protects 75 properties including the County Show Ground, Tynedale Park Rugby Club, Corbridge Cricket Club and access to the village railway station. The weakened stretch, which includes re-building an old embedded stone wall, borders the cricket and rugby clubs.

Alan Cadas, Environment Agency operations delivery manager, said: “This is not the same as the two areas that were responsible for the 2005 floods. This is a little further along the river, but is part of an ongoing programme of works that has followed the 2005 floods.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1oKNNiKoD
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #107
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

New Hexham fire station plan hangs on grant bid
by Paul Tully, The Journal, March 7th 2012

HOPES of a new Fire Station in a Northumberland market town could depend on winning a slice of Government capital grant in 2013. The need for the new fire station in Hexham is becoming increasingly urgent, as the current station is not fit for modern facilities.

Since the coalition government withdrew funding in 2010, the £3.5m project has been stalled, and Northumberland County Council does not have the money at this stage to help. It could come down to Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service bidding successfully for a slice of a £70m central government Fire Capital Grant in the next financial year.

Project Manager Rob Clow said: “We are waiting for the criteria of how they are going to distribute the £70m. We are also waiting to see whether the county council makes it one of their main priorities. We are pushing for both and it might be a mix-and-match – a bit of each. But we are very hopeful that it will be started in two years, and also very hopeful that it will be built in three years.”

The site for the new station, at a former car showroom on West Road, Hexham, has been bought and cleared in readiness, but despite outline planning approval being given in 2009, and a Private Finance Initiative being accepted a year before that, the plans are frozen in time.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1oQOU895j
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #108
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

West Orchard House in Hexham to get makeover
by Paul Tully, The Journal, March 8th 2012

A HISTORIC century-old house which has stood empty for four years is set for a bright new future. West Orchard House, an Edwardian town house in the west end of Hexham, will get a full-scale makeover after being bought by a leading chartered accountancy company for its new business HQ. Patricia J Arnold & Co Ltd, which currently has 18 staff at Black House on Dipton Mill Road on the southern fringes of the town, plans to move into West Orchard House by early next year.

The three-storey house, which stands in a conservation area on Allendale Road at a prime entrance to the town, used to act as the town’s fire then ambulance station, as well as a more recent Red Cross day care centre. It was gifted to the town in the mid-19th Century but has stood unused since 2008.

Patricia J Arnold Ltd acquired the site a year ago and is now submitting a detailed planning application. Company owner Patricia Arnold says the refurbishment will save a vital part of Hexham’s heritage and “greatly enhance” the western gateway to the town.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1oW2lxp00
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #109
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hexham birdfeed ban considered to stop pigeons
by Paul Tully, The Journal, March 10th 2012

A BIRD feed ban is being considered in a bid to stop pigeons harming a town centre’s appearance. Pigeon droppings are a mounting problem in Hexham, Northumberland, and with the tourist season about to start up, it is feared visitors may be put off coming back unless something is done.

Flocks of pigeons have descended on the scenic town centre recently, especially near the famous abbey and market place shops. Former Mayor Terry Robson said the area was becoming “an absolute midden” – and urgent measures were required to clean it up. A Trafalgar Square-style ban on feeding the pigeons is also a possibility.

“They are breeding, and the problem keeps on growing,” said Coun Robson. “If there is no food for them, it might alleviate the problem. “At the abbey, the seats in front are having to be taken away and cleaned. And they will be put back further away from the building. A lot of shopkeepers in the town are tearing their hair out trying to keep their areas clean.

“If you were a tourist, would you come back again? It’s a deterrent, and something has to be done.” Hexham Town Council has little budget to cover the pigeon problem and shopkeepers and property owners are being urged to do their bit in the clean-up operation – for their own benefit.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1ohoZpKKu
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #110
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hexham nightclub Dontinos to reopen as sports bar
by Paul Tully, The Journal, March 10th 2012

A POPULAR Northumberland nightclub venue is set to re-open this month after being closed since last autumn.

Tynedale businessman Shaun Scandle has submitted an application to relaunch the former Dontinos nightclub in Hexham as a late-night sports bar. If all goes to plan, it will reopen as Studio Sports Bar on March 28.

Mr Scandle currently owns Bar Havana, at the rear of the closure-hit Royal Hotel on the opposite side of Hexham’s main street, Priestpopple and he said: “If the licence is granted, we will move everything across the road on the night of March 27 and be open for business on March 28.” Under the name Studio Sports Bar, the premises would operate until 2am six nights a week.

Police have opposed a bid to open until 3am on Friday and Saturday nights, and Mr Scandle said: “Although that is what I wanted, the important thing is to get the sports bar open. “I will have to say yes to 2am - I don’t want to lose time with any objection to that.”

Although the nightclub became a popular and integral part of Hexham life, it struggled in recent years.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1ohpJ5AyG
Old March 10th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #111
G-CPTN

I well remember when the fire station (and the Red Cross ambulance) were based at West Orchard House - though I never knew that that was its name.

In the 1940s and 1950s the part-time fire crew were called out by sounding the Wartime siren that is on the roof of what was the Police Station next to the Abbey (the building used until recently as a courthouse).

One fireman worked as a self-employed window-cleaner and when the siren sounded he could often be seen pedalling furiously towards the Allendale Road to intercept the appliance and he would abandon his cycle wherever he met it.
I only knew him as 'Amby'.

After the Tyne Mills fire station was built the Allendale Road premises were used to house the appliance overnight where it could be retrieved by the part-time crew when needed. This was later moved to the Drill Hall in Temperley Place until the fire crew became full-time round the clock (which might have been influenced by the regular fires at Egger . . . ).
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #112
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Storm of protest over Hexham Constituency Boundary Changes
by Paul Tully, The Journal, March 15th 2012

MORE than 900 objections have been lodged with the Boundary Commission over plans to alter the face of a Northumberland constituency. Under controversial current proposals, Hexham would lose Ponteland East to the Berwick seat and Haltwhistle and South Tynedale to a newly-formed Consett and Barnard Castle seat.

However, the plans have raised a storm of protest and 950 representations to the Commission. All three main political parties have united in their condemnation, with the 950 submissions over Hexham the equal of all the other 28 North East constituencies put together

In addition, 21 parish councils have objected to the plans for Tynedale, with only Prudhoe Town Council giving support to the Boundary Commission.

The Conservative group drew up counter-proposals and the Tories are claiming the support of the Liberal and Labour groups.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1pAqVrJzz
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #113
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hexham National Trust shop to close this summer
The Journal, March 26th 2012

THE National Trust shop in Hexham Town Centre will close this summer under cost-cutting moves.

The shop has been a fixture on Market Street for many years.

It is said to be no longer viable and will shut down when the current lease runs out in June.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/northum...#ixzz1qDjbLtXL
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:38 AM   #114
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hexham Hydro meeting “very positive” says MP
by Paul Tully, The Journal, March 30th 2012

Gillian Orrell, Transition Tynedale volunteer campaigning for the Hexham River Hydro scheme

A MEETING between project leaders and anglers to debate concerns over the planned Hexham Hydro scheme has been described as “very positive” by the region’s MP.

Conservative Guy Opperman, who chaired the debate in Hexham, said: “No decisions were taken, but a lot of very constructive talking and discussion took place.”

A new feasibility study into the £800,000 scheme, which would generate power for 150 homes for 40 years, is due shortly.

Angling groups are worried at the impact the scheme could have on Tyne fish stocks.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1qg4zKOdq
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:12 PM   #115
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

Northumberland Roman museum reopens after £1m revamp

A Roman museum in Northumberland has reopened after a £1m revamp.

English Heritage spent about six months upgrading Housesteads Roman Fort in Hexham, creating a new audio visual exhibition on its history.

Access to the museum for disabled visitors has also been improved, along with a refurbishment of the museum shop.

Read more:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-17571476
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #116
ferret88

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
My Dad took a few, but only a very few, photos around Hexham in 1930, before he joined the Army (Royal Corps of Signals) and travelled the world with them until 1945.

So, he wasn't around Hexham much after 1930, until returning to live there in the early 1950s.

Apart from the one you have seen, I have been able to find a few more small prints of his (all from 1930, I think) from the Hexham of that era, which I have scanned in . . .

Hexham Abbey . .

The building that became (until recently) Tyndale Council Offices . .

Dene Cottage, opposite where the old General Hospital was. We had family living in that house, which is still there today, until the 1930s . .

No. 1 St Cuthberts Terrace (at junction with Battle Hill) where relatives lived in 1930 (The back of the print shown also) . .

While doing some Family History research recently, I found the location of the above photo, and took a photo of it today. That is my hand there, holding the print from 1930 into shot!! . .

So, sorry, not very much in my Dad's collection about "1930s Hexham", I'm afraid!

Great stuff NH particularly the Abbey pic showing the fence and wall and tiny pavement that is now all a large paved over area. I remember when there was grass in front of the East end of the Abbey, not sure why they thought it was a good idea to get rid of a grassed area.

I grew up just next to Cuthbert Terrace ;-)

F
ferret88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #117
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hexham wood panel maker Egger
invests £20m in Chipboard Plant.

by Iain Laing, The Journal, April 5th 2012

WOOD PANEL maker Egger UK is making a £20m investment to improve production in the Hexham factory it says is now the most advanced chipboard plant in Europe. The Norwegian company says there will be no new jobs at the site, which already employs 520 people, but that the new lamination and impregnation equipment will make it more competitive.

The business is trying to grow in a sector which has been hit by a 55% rise in wood prices in the last five years and the decline in the housebuilding and furniture industries. The new machinery will make the plant more efficient in turning out its range of laminates for furniture in more than 600 finishes.

The plant is now Northumberland’s biggest private sector employer after the closure of the Alcan’s aluminium smelter in Lynemouth and the company says it indirectly supports 1,500 jobs in the county in areas such as forestry and sawmilling. A company spokesman said: “Our newest lamination and impregnation lines will ensure our products continue to meet the exacting quality standards increasingly demanded by the furniture sector.

“This equipment will help us continue to add value to our standard chipboard by using printed decorative papers, such as walnut, oak and maple, that enable our customers to make the kitchens and furniture of tomorrow.” It is the latest in a series of investments at the Hexham site it bought in 1984 from Weyroc, including £120m expansion in 2007, the year which also saw it plant 13,500 trees in the area.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-30696833/
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #118
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hexham building to go under hammer in London
by Paul Tully, The Journal, April 10th 2012

ONE of the four ‘crown jewel’ buildings in Hexham which have stood unsold for 18 months is to be put up for auction in London. The £1m-valued Old Grammar School will go under the hammer at Claridge’s on May 14 after failing to sell on the open market since October 2010.

Northumberland County Council has tried to raise a combined £4m through the sale of the Old Grammar School as well as Prospect House, Hexham House and the Old Swimming Pool, but despite a number of inquiries and secret bids, all four remain unsold.

Now the council has put the elegant Grade II-listed Old Grammar School, which dates back several hundred years to the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, in the hands of London property auctioneers Lambert Smith Hampton. An “appropriate” reserve price will be put on the building at Hallgate, said to have been founded by Royal Charter in 1599.

The detached, two-storey building, which boast a private 14-space car park, currently houses the west area planning department of the county council.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1rcdIVu17

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; April 10th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #119
G-CPTN

Referring-back to my earlier post about the buildings adjacent to Hexham Bus Station, the proprietor of Porteous' Electrical shop passed away last week, aged 92:-
I spent half an hour sitting in the Bus Station today whilst waiting for a bus. I know that the premises 'behind' the current Amigos kebab shop were occupied by Taylor's Tyre Shop (his son Richard - who I still see around - was at my school, though in a different year), but I cannot recall what business occupied the current Amigo's kebab shop premises in the 1950s - can anyone help?

Here is a view of the building that I mean:-
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=prie...3,,1,3.23&z=17

Last edited by G-CPTN; April 16th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #120
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Hexham Abbey hits public appeal target
by Paul Tully, The Journal, April 20th 2012

THE £400,000 public appeal target to develop one of the North East’s most famous religious buildings has been reached. Hexham Abbey fundraisers have realised their ambition to raise £3m overall for the redevelopment of its medieval buildings.

The 7th century abbey secured Lottery funding and raised hundreds of thousands of pounds before launching the public appeal in March last year. Now, after a year and two weeks, the final £40,000 piece of the jigsaw has come from the J Paul Getty Jnr charitable trust. It could be one of the 26-year-old Getty Trust’s last donations as it is winding down and is expected to close to new applications by the end of 2012.

The Rector of Hexham, Canon Graham Usher, welcomed the news yesterday after Northumberland’s west area planning committee unanimously approved the plans to convert former monastic workshops and magistrates courts to a state-of-the-art heritage and visitor centre with community facilities.

Canon Usher told councillors in Hexham: “There has been massive public support. We want to provide a range of functions and facilities which makes it economically viable.” The abbey is now preparing further applications to grant-making trusts in its bid to include the restoration of the former magistrates’ courts in its redevelopment project.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1sZEfR6LU

Tags
corbridge, development, developments, developments - newc forum, hexham, newcastle, northumberland, prudhoe, tyne valley