search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 131

Regional ROAD NETWORK - Coast Road, Great North Road, A69, A19, Central Motorway, etc

Without the Coast Road, North Tyneside would be dead and certainly wouldn't be playing a part in the future hope of Greater Newcastle.

It has often wondered me how important and how well structered the coast road (A1058) is. Compared to other roads in the UK linking towns, citys and districts, the coast road (i feel) is one of the better ones.

There are loads of roads you can compare it to. I've been to Manchester, Leeds, York etc... but no road between two districts are built like the coast road, well structured and were built for the future.

The downside of the coast road is the lack of development around the A19, Billy Mill and throughout Jesmond which leads onto and off the central motorway. It is a pain getting on and off, but something which could be re-designed to make it faster flowing for all.

Now I say it is well constructed for the future and it is or was, the problems mentioned above are slowly beginning to show their age and considering the coast road was built in 1924 ish, it's done a pretty reasonable job through upgrades throughout the year.

I love the coast road and I think North Tyneside and Newcastle would be lost without it.

Does anyone have any old pictures of it? I remember it being concrete blocks instead of tarmac years ago when I was a nipper.

I've found an old video of the opening of the coast road which shows the East Coast main line (where the Wills building is).

The site is from the British Pathe and will have hundreds of old videos on. This is just one of many.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=21405

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; September 17th, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #2
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

I've got to agree, it's the main road for the East side of Newcastle and those coming off the A19 to get into Newcastle. If you compare it with the main road for the West end of Newcastle, I.E West Gate road you can see a vast quality change. It's not pretty to look at and not many things on the way is pretty, but it's very effective at doing it's job. Without it I couldn't get into Newcastle by bus within half an hour.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; September 6th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #3
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

I have to agree, it makes getting to Heaton by car massively easier. Bit of an unsung hero, although obviously it's not a beautiful road (but name me a road with two lanes either side that is?).
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #4
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I've got to agree, it's the main road for the East side of Newcastle and those coming off the A19 to get into Newcastle. If you compare it with the main road for the West end of Newcastle, I.E West Gate road you can see a vast quality change.
Trouble is that although the A69 feeds directly into West Road/Westgate Road, the real intended equivalent of the Coast Road is (or should be) the A695/Scotswood Road. It's a pity that the A69 and the Western Bypass could not have been planned so that A69 traffic fed naturally - via proper grade-sparated junctions and a widened section of A1 bypass - down onto the Scotswood Road. As it s, it involves a 270 degree turn at the awful Denton Burn r'bout, a hop down the A1, then the mess of lights and roundabouts at the end of Scotswood Bridge before getting onto the 'expressway' bit of Scotswood Road.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Trouble is that although the A69 feeds directly into West Road/Westgate Road, the real intended equivalent of the Coast Road is (or should be) the A695/Scotswood Road. It's a pity that the A69 and the Western Bypass could not have been planned so that A69 traffic fed naturally - via proper grade-sparated junctions and a widened section of A1 bypass - down onto the Scotswood Road. As it s, it involves a 270 degree turn at the awful Denton Burn r'bout, a hop down the A1, then the mess of lights and roundabouts at the end of Scotswood Bridge before getting onto the 'expressway' bit of Scotswood Road.
lol@ 'expressway' I think from all the times I have drove down that road, I have only made it through all of the lights and not stopped about twice.
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #6
upnorth

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Does anyone have any old pictures of it? I remember it being concrete blocks instead of tarmac years ago when I was a nipper.

I found this one the other day, and I thought the unusual angle made it quite interesting. I believe the street in the foreground is Churchill Street, Howdon, with Gibson Street (left) and Embleton Avenue (right) in behind. Until I saw this pic, I'd never realised that the college pre-dated the rest of the building around it.

Apologies that I can't provide a source - I snapped this from a book using my mobile phone and I didn't take down the details. Was interesting to me because my grandma was born on Gibson Street.
upnorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #7
nadj

Likes (Received): 3

Just found this on the Newcastle Libraries flickr site.

image hosted on flickr

It shows the opening of the coast road in 1927.

And this is the same (or thereabouts) view today in Google Street View.

Edit: Actually, as the Wills factory wasn't built until 1946, it's possible the view may be from the other side of the bridge, but you get the idea!

Last edited by nadj; September 8th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
nadj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #8
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

This thread was originally just called "Coast Road", but with that relatively limited scope it was already (though only started on September 5th) starting to slip down the forum.

After discussions with Godcrasher (who started the thread) it was agreed that we should extend the coverage of the thread to cover "All Major Roads" in the Newcastle Area, as that is a thread that the forum has not had in the past.

The only major roads that had been really covered (and usually for specific reasons) and they can continue to remain independent of this thread, are . . .

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=236681 - The Tyne Tunnel and A19
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=999987 - The Construction of the Central Motorway East
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1016011 - Dualling the A1 North of Newcastle

So, this thread can now cover issues around all of the others, and I can already move this thread along, as I have received a request for information about the Gateshead Western Bypass AND the Newcastle Western Bypass . . . and had been looking for a logical thread to post that information in!!

This thread is now that logical place, and I will post that request next.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb; Aug 25 2010

NH, as a side issue, do you know if there is any information on this forum about the building of the Gateshead Western Bypass in the 1970s? My searches so far have not been fruitful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; Aug 26 2010
I don't think there is anything, not that I can remember (though I do have a fair bit on the building of the NEWCASTLE Western Bypass, myself, that I have not yet posted onto the forum).

The only motorway construction that we have covered in any real depth, is the Central Motorway East.

Mind, one of the Websites listed in Section 17 (Transport) of our Websites Thread, is this one . . .

"PATHETIC MOTORWAYS" WEBSITE - 1960s/70s NEWCASTLE MOTORWAY PLANS, ETC
http://search.freefind.com/find.html...Western+Bypass

I haven't searched for the Gateshead part of the Western Bypass on there (properly) but there might be something of interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb; Aug 26 2010
Thanks I will have a look at that site and see what I can find.

I would love to see what you do have on the Newcastle Western Bypass when you post it, as it sort of passed me by at the time.

There were some house demolitions needed in Denton Burn I can recall.

OK merleb, now that we have a thread for it I will try to sort out what I have about the building of the Newcastle Western Bypass (after all this, I hope it is worth looking at!!) and will post it on here shortly . .

Old September 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Building the Newcastle Western Bypass (1987-1990)
Part 1

Any MAP of Newcastle produced before 1990, would have revealed the long-planned and prepared for route of the Newcastle Western Bypass, through West Newcastle.

The well-preserved route is clearly shown here, in this 1987 'City Map' produced by the City Council . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 2nd, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #11
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Do you think there was also a deliberate reason to keep that channel directly to the west of Denton Road also clear?
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb View Post
Do you think there was also a deliberate reason to keep that channel directly to the west of Denton Road also clear?
I don't think so, at least not from a 'future-road' perspective, anyway.

I thought that area was 'Denton Dene' and was City Council parkland/open space, and so on.

It was, I thought, only being preserved for THAT reason, though it has been some years since I've been around there.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #13
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Building the Newcastle Western Bypass (1987-1990)
Part 2

The process had actually got actively started in 1979, some EIGHT years prior to the start of construction in 1987. Planning (as is shown by the MAP in 'Part 1') had obviously been going on for many years (even) before that, but the first time the concept of a "Newcastle Western Bypass" (which would then become the A1) was actively discussed in the public domain, was around about 1979.

The following leaflet and questionnaire was made available to the public, by the Local Authority responsible for roads in the authority areas principally involved in the proposed Western Bypass (Newcastle and North Tyneside) which was Tyne and Wear County Council.

Those of you who read the "Diversion" thread about the building of the CME (Central Motorway East) will remember that Tyne and Wear County took over the responsibility for THAT construction, towards the end of the works, in 1974.

The first decision to be made was . . . what route should the Bypass take, North of Kingston Park?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 2nd, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #14
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Fantastic stuff NH.

Right up my street (pun intended!)

I assume they did go with the red route.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; September 19th, 2010 at 09:36 PM.
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #15
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

At first sight, I would have said YES, but looking at it from the air (on Google Earth) it looks more like the Green Route, as it passes North of 'North Brunton' . . .

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #16
leauk
Ashington born and bred.

Likes (Received): 8

I've been along the A69 this week and it needs to be duelled. Getting stuck behind a slow vehicle for miles is not my idea of fun.
leauk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by leauk View Post
I've been along the A69 this week and it needs to be duelled. Getting stuck behind a slow vehicle for miles is not my idea of fun.

I spend a lot of time going from home (in Newcastle) to Hexham and back, and the A69 is a good dual carriageway road all the way, for that.

West of Hexham, it's a different story (most of the way) but I can't see it being dualled in the near future!
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #18
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by leauk View Post
I've been along the A69 this week and it needs to be duelled.
or dualled.
Or do you want a duel?

I don't disagree at all, but if we're to make stratgeic decisions, they won't be based on "I've been along the A69 this week". I gues that maybe you were driving when you were on the A69 this week, and were frustrated by the inability to drive faster.
If you were on a train, bus or as a passenger in a car, you might have had quite a different impression of the journey. Its a matter of fact that private car drivers will always want more empty space in front of them.
That's just how it is to be a car driver, not constrained by a printed timetable clipped to the side of your cabin.
So to make strategic decisions, we should base them on numbers of travellers, numbers of freight vehicles, number of goods consignments, number of agricultural journeys, numbers of infrastructure maintanance events.
Sadly (in my view), we tend to base decisions on factors which include and prioitise accident numbers. I say 'sadly', because accident numbers are fuelled not by the thoughput on the route, but by that frustration of drivers who will always want more of that empty space in front of them - no matter how much road surface is provided.

Maybe the A69 should be dualled, maybe the A1 should be dualled. Maybe we should have more rail and bus infrastructure and services. Maybe car drivers (including myself) should become more willing to accept the flow of other road users and be grateful that we have roads and cars.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #19
maxtoon
Southeast Geordie

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXNewcastle View Post
or dualled.
Or do you want a duel?

I don't disagree at all, but if we're to make stratgeic decisions, they won't be based on "I've been along the A69 this week". I gues that maybe you were driving when you were on the A69 this week, and were frustrated by the inability to drive faster.
If you were on a train, bus or as a passenger in a car, you might have had quite a different impression of the journey. Its a matter of fact that private car drivers will always want more empty space in front of them.
That's just how it is to be a car driver, not constrained by a printed timetable clipped to the side of your cabin.
So to make strategic decisions, we should base them on numbers of travellers, numbers of freight vehicles, number of goods consignments, number of agricultural journeys, numbers of infrastructure maintanance events.
Sadly (in my view), we tend to base decisions on factors which include and prioitise accident numbers. I say 'sadly', because accident numbers are fuelled not by the thoughput on the route, but by that frustration of drivers who will always want more of that empty space in front of them - no matter how much road surface is provided.

Maybe the A69 should be dualled, maybe the A1 should be dualled. Maybe we should have more rail and bus infrastructure and services. Maybe car drivers (including myself) should become more willing to accept the flow of other road users and be grateful that we have roads and cars.
Unfortunately this will never happen .. drivers who travel routes for a living 'including myself' willl always show frustrations behind slow traffic resulting in often dangerous overtakes. Accident rates are also taken into account when route upgrades are considered. The A69 at Low Row and Brampton have terrible accident rates, some involving speeding HGV's.

It does need to be dualled but unfortunately many other roads fall into this category, no need to mention the A1 again. But since any full dualling operations would also require considerable re-routing of huge sections i'm afraid it'll never happen within 10 years if at all.
maxtoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #20
leauk
Ashington born and bred.

Likes (Received): 8

Sorry, I meant dualled.
leauk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorways, newcastle, newcastle roads, newcastle transport, north tyneside, road, roads, transport