search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #81
cranfan

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Full dualling of A69 and A1 never going to happen.
Why not switch tack and have more crawler lanes up inclines.
Also have a number of regular, signposted 'drive through' laybys for slow vehicles (lorries, caravans and Micra drivers!). That way slow vehicles can pull over to let people through?
Warwick Bridge bypass might be a good idea (A69)
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #82
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Fatal crash at Redheugh Bridge prompts road safety upgade
by Tom Mullen, Evening Chronicle, August 29th 2011

VITAL new safety measures are planned for the stretch of road where a biker was catapulted to his death, an inquest heard.

Bruce Chaplin, 46, died in a horrifying crash when his powerful Suzuki Bandit careered out of control and veered into oncoming traffic at the entrance to the Redheugh Bridge in Newcastle.

Now Northumbria Police has made contact with Newcastle City Council in a bid to make road markings clearer and improve traffic-calming measures in the area.

Coroner David Mitford had been considering writing to the council on the matter, but was reassured the issue is being looked at already.

“There is major improvement planned for later this year. It’s an area we have looked into quite closely.

“There were plans already in place but they have been beefed up considerably.”

A spokesman for Newcastle City Council said: “Long-standing plans to make changes to the junction with Scotswood Road will soon be undertaken by the council.”

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1WQBFoRbZ
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #83
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

A different corridor for the A1 Newcastle bypass?

Looking at some of google maps tonight and comparing the old and new maps of West Denton it occured to me that to the east of where the new A1 Western Bypass currently runs there is another 'corridor' of vacant land.

Was there ever a prior or redundant route considered for the bypass. I know the current route through Copperas Lane etc was earmarked many years ago as a potential route that would require little demolition.

But the pic below is quite striking in that there is so little building where I have put my line. Now obviously the Denton Burn itself runs through some of this land but it is conspicuous that there is nothing built to the west side of Denton Road when it runs north of the West Road.

Is this a 'protected corridor' or just a coicidence?

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #84
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

that is denton dene.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #85
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
that is denton dene.
Yes, I can see what you mean merleb, but it does show up quite clearly as the Dene on the (pre-bypass) Map that was used in 'Part 1' of our discussions about the Newcastle Western Bypass last year, and on that it looks 'less likely' that it was an actual alternative route, I think . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Building the Newcastle Western Bypass (1987-1990)
Part 1

Any MAP of Newcastle produced before 1990, would have revealed the long-planned and prepared for route of the Newcastle Western Bypass, through West Newcastle.

The well-preserved route is clearly shown here, in this 1987 'City Map' produced by the City Council . . .

Old September 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #86
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb View Post
Looking at some of google maps tonight and comparing the old and new maps of West Denton it occured to me that to the east of where the new A1 Western Bypass currently runs there is another 'corridor' of vacant land.

Was there ever a prior or redundant route considered for the bypass. I know the current route through Copperas Lane etc was earmarked many years ago as a potential route that would require little demolition.

But the pic below is quite striking in that there is so little building where I have put my line. Now obviously the Denton Burn itself runs through some of this land but it is conspicuous that there is nothing built to the west side of Denton Road when it runs north of the West Road.

Is this a 'protected corridor' or just a coicidence?

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
No coincidence in the "corridor of non development"

About 20+ years at an RICS seminar seem to remember the guest speaker from Dept of Transport ( or whatever they were called at that time) stating that a master plan was developed late 1920s / 30s for the provision of such a road - the equivalent of north circular road London

Also think of the future planning when designing the Tyne Bridge - four carriageways wide in the 1920's

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #87
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
No coincidence in the "corridor of non development"

About 20+ years at an RICS seminar seem to remember the guest speaker from Dept of Transport ( or whatever they were called at that time) stating that a master plan was developed late 1920s / 30s for the provision of such a road - the equivalent of north circular road London

Also think of the future planning when designing the Tyne Bridge - four carriageways wide in the 1920's

KEN
Thanks for that.

It did look too deliberate to be a coincodence.
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #88
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Ken O'Heed - When you talk about "the corridor of non-development", do you mean the route that was left undeveloped for many years (that we have discussed in the past a fair few times on this thread) which was the route that was eventually used for the Newcastle Western Bypass . . . or do you mean Denton Dene?
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #89
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Northumberland County Council submits a
funding bid for a £37m link road scheme

by David Black, The Journal, September 9th 2011

COMMUNITY leaders in two towns yesterday welcomed the submission of a formal bid to complete a long- awaited £37m strategic road project in Northumberland.

County council chiefs have made a “best and final” application to the Department for Transport for 70% of the cost of the final section of the South East Northumberland link road.

Once completed, the new route will create a direct and faster link between the A1 trunk road and Ashington, and help cut traffic congestion in Morpeth town centre.

Three months ago the unitary authority agreed to allocate about £11m towards the project as part of a £42m package of capital funding for key schemes across the county. Council chiefs say the new road will create a northern bypass around Morpeth, opening up new areas for development, easing traffic pressures in the town centre and improving links from the A1 to towns such as Ashington and Blyth.

They claim positive benefits include boosting the economy in south east Northumberland and the wider region by improving connections for local businesses to major transport routes

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1XRSGcsNE
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #90
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post

Ken O'Heed - When you talk about "the corridor of non-development", do you mean the route that was left undeveloped for many years (that we have discussed in the past a fair few times on this thread) which was the route that was eventually used for the Newcastle Western Bypass . . . or do you mean Denton Dene?
I have no further knowledge on this subject. It was 20+ years ago in a short seminar

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:43 AM   #91
growly grace

Likes (Received): 91

It was mentioned in a thread the other week that the People's Theater Company took over their present property which was a redundant cinema. So at that junction there was the Corner House Hotel and a cinema and their had to be a lot more around.
Did the building of the Coast Road roundabout take out a street of shops?
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 11:13 AM   #92
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
It was mentioned in a thread the other week that the People's Theatre Company took over their present property which was a redundant cinema. So at that junction there was the Corner House Hotel and a cinema and their had to be a lot more around.

At the Heaton Road/Newton Road junction with the Coast Road (where the Corner House is) I do not remember any shops being demolished when the 'new Coast Road' was built.

The main 'sunken' Dual Carriagway stretch of road (from the Coast) came to an end just a short way east of this junction, though the existing surface road was widened with a 'central reservation' a short way westwards (towards the City Centre) past that junction.

There was some demolition to achieve this widening, on the north side of that stretch of Coast Road, and a row of houses (not shops) was demolished, and (in fact) you can still see the concrete 'council house style' garden walls of those houses remaining in parts, with only trees and other landscaping behind them.

The next junction to the east, the junction of the Coast Road with Benton Road/Chillingham Road, is where the big roundabout is, that you are referring to I think.

On that one, there was no demolitions (this time) to the North of the Coast Road, so all of those shops remained (the 'north side' junction with Benton Road) and I only remember houses being removed on the south side - though there may have been some corner shops there.

This photo shows that roundabout under construction in the early 1960s . . .

Photo courtesy of Newcastle City Council/City Libraries PHOTOSTREAM - http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=3982...q=Coast%20Road
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:25 PM   #93
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

I always wondered why the Heaton Road/Coast Road junction was kept open, as it is a bit of a bottle neck. Most cars using Heaton Road could join Chillingham Road to enter/exit the coast road.

But then it struck me its probably used to regulate the flow of traffic into the Jesmond Dene & Cradlewell section, stacking cars on the coast road, rather than choking up the Dene with traffic.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:18 PM   #94
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3819

Quote:
It was mentioned in a thread the other week that the People's Theater Company took over their present property which was a redundant cinema. So at that junction there was the Corner House Hotel and a cinema and their had to be a lot more around.
An interesting photograph here of the Corner House junction in 1936, courtesy of the Newcastle Libraries Archive Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...es/4090375423/

image hosted on flickr

Interesting mixture of tarmac and sets with tramlines.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #95
growly grace

What was across the road facing this?
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:04 PM   #96
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:

The demolished houses (with the 'still remaining' concrete garden walls) that I mentioned in my response, were directly opposite this, and in an easterly direction from there between Newton Road and Benton Road.
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:18 PM   #97
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it would be housing - indeed this 1940's aerial courtesy of Google Maps shows the buildings.

This is the area on the 1894 OS Map - ignore the red arrow - the Corner House is more less under where the letter E is.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM   #98
growly grace

A couple of things : perhaps the corner house hotel, the cinema and the shops at the Benton Road are contemporary from the 1930's and were not designed by a local company. (I believe that because they all look incongruous to me)
I am sure I have seen a photograph of a car dealers and other shops.
I also heard that a church was there and they had to remove the bodies (I think that the person telling me that may be thinking of Jesmond Cemetery)
The development of Jesmond Park East and West looks interesting, these were monster houses, absolutely massive. I love these enclaves surely there would have been amenities around them or would every thing these households required come form town.
One last thing : the county cricket ground is that the university rugby ground now?
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM   #99
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
A couple of things : perhaps the corner house hotel, the cinema and the shops at the Benton Road are contemporary from the 1930's and were not designed by a local company. (I believe that because they all look incongruous to me)
I am sure I have seen a photograph of a car dealers and other shops.
I also heard that a church was there and they had to remove the bodies (I think that the person telling me that may be thinking of Jesmond Cemetery)
The development of Jesmond Park East and West looks interesting, these were monster houses, absolutely massive. I love these enclaves surely there would have been amenities around them or would every thing these households required come form town.
One last thing : the county cricket ground is that the university rugby ground now?
Corner House Hotel was designed by Newcastle based Marshall and Tweedy for James Deuchar Ltd and opened on Wednesday 8th January 1936. See details of the Marshall and Tweedy practice @ http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk....php?id=207746

Plenty of shops to the South end of Heaton Road and of course not too distant to Shields Road, so plenty of scope there rather than travelling to Newcastle for the shopping.

Not sure of any Churchyard having bodies removed but as you say, many were moved from the Jesmond Road side of Jesmond Old Cemetery when a planned road extension was proposed. Of course the remains were moved and then the road works didn't happen!

Newcastle University now occupy the former County Cricket Ground and have :
football (1 pitch)
rugby (1 pitch)
cricket (1 square)

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM   #100
growly grace

Thanks Steve! I was looking at a photo of the corner house form the other side taken in the 1930's and it looks very different to the usual. Didn't know it was for Deuchar but I find that their offices in Jesmond Road a bit strange as well.
I think as I stomped around Newcastle this morning I answered my own questions, and it's about the total demise in Newcastle of the traditional licensed grocers that had delivery boys on bikes.
I don't remember the remnants of these business's. So I have decided that Newcastle was an early adopter of the department store and the co-op had the suburbs pretty much sewn up.

Tags
motorways, newcastle, newcastle roads, newcastle transport, north tyneside, road, roads, transport