search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:58 AM   #101
Percy Trimmer
Modern Antiquarian

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
One thing I've JUST noticed in that photo of the mock-up of the proposed Metro Carriage in 'Post 1981' (copy above) is that the Metro Map used inside the carriage (just as they are now) looks like it is that same "rare / first diagramatic" one, shown in 'Post 1946'

That's the only other place I've ever seen that version of the map!
Which reminds me of how the old electric trains used to have a diagrammatic map at the end of each coach. (The diesels that replaced them didn't because they were used on other lines as well.)

There were a few different versions of the map, but right until the end I can remember some still showed Byker which had been closed for decades.

They also showed the connection with the main line east of Benton that was used by one train a day to run directly from West Monkseaton to Manors East without stopping.
Percy Trimmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #102
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1550

Newcastle Central Station receives £8.6m funding
BBC Newcastle, Tyne Website, Monday 28th November 2011

Newcastle Central Station will receive £8.6m of funding to improve and modernise facilities. The money from Network Rail will be spent on improved waiting rooms and toilets, better signage and alterations to the existing bridge.

Glazed canopies will also be installed as well as new lifts and escalators.

Phil Verster, from Network Rail, said: "These improvements will help passengers to get the best from the listed building." The station scheme is being developed in partnership with NE1 and Newcastle City Council and businesses in the City Centre will also be investing in the project.

The deputy chairman of NE1 Ltd, Gavin Black, said: "This is great news for Newcastle and the North East, with the improvements to the station helping to cement the city's role as the Regional Capital."

Read More - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-15921952
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #103
paddytoonleics

Likes (Received): 132

Hurrah. Finally! It's felt for ages like Central is the last 'real/proper' station that's felt absolutely nothing like a proper station in terms of its facilities, comforts, retail etc.

Great to think it's restoration will be aided by some decent, sensitive upgrades and the Network Rail press release mentions 'a range of retail opportunities'. Sainsburys has kick-started this, but most big stations have such a sense of destination - will nice to see this follow suit....and possibly some nice upgrades to the outside.
paddytoonleics no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #104
Wildcat45

Likes (Received): 35

Was there once a plan to glass in the portico turning it into a shopping area?
Wildcat45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #105
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Glad to hear there's grand plans for the station, agree that it's been long lacking facilities compared to the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield even if it's a wonderful station.

Hope York is next as it's like the Newcastle of 15 years ago and in desperate need of a refurb!
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #106
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A similar article to that on yesterdays BBC Tyne Website, in this mornings JOURNAL . . .

Central Station to benefit from £15m makeover
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, November 29th 2011

MORE than £20m is expected to be announced for the North East today as the final two regional growth fund projects are unveiled.

Newcastle Central Station is to benefit from a £15m makeover, both inside and outside, as part of a successful regional growth fund bid. The project includes more than £8m from Network Rail.

Newcastle Business Improvement District NE1, Network Rail and Newcastle City Council will between them oversee more than £14.9m in investment into the station.

Network Rail plan to transform the station’s interior providing new shops, improved passenger waiting accommodation and toilets, better signage and alterations to the existing bridge, while adding lifts and escalators to make it easier to move around the heritage listed building. There will also be improved glazed canopies to flood the station with natural light.

NE1 and the City Council also plan to improve the area around the Central Station for pedestrians, drivers, cyclists and visitors to the city and help to further kick-start the ongoing economic regeneration of that area.

Gavin Black, deputy chairman of NE1, said: “This is an excellent example of partnership working between the private and public sector, with all sides working together to achieve the aims of the project, which will deliver major improvements to the City Centre."

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1f5PRA5LL
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #107
Tyr
King of Bernicia

Likes (Received): 27

I'm skeptical about how far such a small amount of money will go.
Usually not very where such things are concerned.
Tyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #108
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 162

Newcastle Central Station

Quote:
A similar article to that on yesterdays BBC Tyne Website, in this mornings JOURNAL . . .

MORE than £20m is expected to be announced for the North East today as the final two regional growth fund projects are unveiled.

Newcastle Central Station is to benefit from a £15m makeover, both inside and outside, as part of a successful regional growth fund bid. The project includes more than £8m from Network Rail.

Newcastle Business Improvement District NE1, Network Rail and Newcastle City Council will between them oversee more than £14.9m in investment into the station.

Network Rail plan to transform the station’s interior providing new shops, improved passenger waiting accommodation and toilets, better signage and alterations to the existing bridge, while adding lifts and escalators to make it easier to move around the heritage listed building. There will also be improved glazed canopies to flood the station with natural light.

NE1 and the City Council also plan to improve the area around the Central Station for pedestrians, drivers, cyclists and visitors to the city and help to further kick-start the ongoing economic regeneration of that area.

Gavin Black, deputy chairman of NE1, said: “This is an excellent example of partnership working between the private and public sector, with all sides working together to achieve the aims of the project, which will deliver major improvements to the City Centre."

Glad to hear of refurb.
Outside the Station in the Portico the area is a mess.
Too many people /cars in a very small area.
Quart into a pint pot!

As someone involved in tourism something that may be overlooked is the facilities for visitors who use the shuttle buses to the North Shields Ferry terminal.
I have seen people huddled in the rain and snow whilst waiting for the (old) buses to arrive.
Not a very good way to treat valued visitors.
If a shelter can be incorporated into the plans that would be very useful.
We need to treat our visitors well as they could well come back again.

In addition, the way that taxis line up to enter the station needs to be resolved.
At times taxis are swamping the area and this needs to be resolved.

This refurbishment could be the one that is the most looked forward development in 2012?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #109
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 23

I'd like to see the Portico cleaned a bit, inside and out. The stone is a bit scruffy. And the road in front of it just isn't very nice really. It'd make a big difference if that was improved. Maybe some lights under the Portico too.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #110
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
This refurbishment could be the one that is the most looked forward to development in 2012?
Yes, I think it would be pretty high up on my list!

If I han't already filled my nominations in, on B/Ls thread.
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #111
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post

As someone involved in tourism something that may be overlooked is the facilities for visitors who use the shuttle buses to the North Shields Ferry terminal.
I have seen people huddled in the rain and snow whilst waiting for the (old) buses to arrive.
Not a very good way to treat valued visitors.
If a shelter can be incorporated into the plans that would be very useful.
We need to treat our visitors well as they could well come back again.
yes an indoor waiting area should be the least they offer for ferry passengers.

on the refurb - i must be the only one who likes the station as it is. the only thing i dont like is the god damn barriers and since they're a recent "upgrade" i dread to think what other "upgrades" will be in store for us.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #112
JoeColl

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

If there was to be any, sensible, strategic planning in the regeneration plans, then It would be used to allow for better access to the new "Stephenson Quarter".

The current entrance/exit to the station is very one sided, closing off the area behind it IMHO.
JoeColl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #113
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeColl View Post
If there was to be any, sensible, strategic planning in the regeneration plans, then It would be used to allow for better access to the new "Stephenson Quarter".

The current entrance/exit to the station is very one sided, closing off the area behind it IMHO.
Yes, I remember posting the below a while back, when this was suggested previously . .

Evening Chronicle, Thursday September 27th 2007.

Old November 29th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #114
jkkne
Northumberland Import

Likes (Received): 78

A massive improvement would be for us to go back to the golden age of bins in railway stations. The amount of rubbish I see lying around because of their removal is appalling.

Whilst I understand it was for 'safety' reasons we have equally busy transport interchanges, football stadiums et al all brimming with bins!
jkkne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #115
johnnypd

Quote:

a south entrance would be a superb addition - hopefully the bulk of the money will be spent on this rather than frittered away on incremental refurbishments and upgrades.
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #116
JoeColl

Likes (Received): 6

Even if a South entrance is not included, increasing the access from the North side to the Stephenson quarter is a must. Current access is hidden via tunnels and arches.

I doubt these would be appealing for those wishing to travel to any proposed 5* hotel late in the evening. Even with the proposed increased police presence in the area.

A possible good example is the Forthside Bridge in Stirling.

This crosses above the railway lines/platformsto allow access to a redevelopment area which had been segregated off by the station.

Forthside Bridge Design

For info:
The Forthside Bridge was designed by Wilkinson Erye Architects/Gifford and Partners, builders of the Gateshead Millennium Bridge.
JoeColl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #117
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

I agree that I quite like Newcastle Central Station as it is, but it does need effective access from the south.
I'd also be pleased if the mess of taxis on either side of the eastern approaches was better planned and better managed.
An east-bound cycle lane that actually connects with the station would also help.
Will the budget extend to correcting the time on the portico's clocks? They've been running slow for years now.
Quote:
A possible good example is the Forthside Bridge in Stirling. . . .
Which must be one of the least used bridges at any station!

I will agree that another foot bridge (over the through lines on platforms 2 & 3) would be welcome - there's adequate additional capacity at the barriers.
I also agree that there is a wide expanse of under-used space at the west end, around the former parcels depot; this is used intensively by staff, but use could be improved greatly and a ferry-interchange with bus turning circle could easily be accommodated within the station perimiter.
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #118
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

A bit more information around the options for Transpennine electrification:-

Quote:
Option A10.1a Electrify Guide Bridge to Leeds, Leeds to Colton Junction and Hull, and Temple Hirst to Selby following Manchester Deansgate to Liverpool (Edge Hill). Convert Hull to London and crossPennine services to electric traction. Modify cross-Pennine services so that they run between Liverpool and Manchester via the Chat Moss route, and so that through Middlesbrough services are split at York, and Scarborough is served by trains from Preston rather than by North Cross-Pennine services.54

Option A9.1 Electrify from Northallerton to Middlesbrough and Stockton Cut and Bowesfield Junctions to Sunderland. Reinstate through North Cross-Pennine services to Middlesbrough, and convert London to Sunderland and Middlesbrough to Newcastle service to electric traction.

Option A10.2 Electrify York to Scarborough. Convert York to Scarborough service to electric traction.

Option A10.1b Electrify Guide Bridge to Leeds, Leeds to Colton Junction and Hull, Northallerton to Middlesbrough and Temple Hirst to Selby following Manchester Deansgate to Liverpool (Edge Hill). Convert Hull to London and cross-Pennine services to electric traction. Modify cross-Pennine services so that they run between Liverpool and Manchester via the Chat Moss route, and so that Scarborough is served by trains from Preston rather than by North Cross-Pennine services.

Option A9.2 Electrify Stockton Cut and Bowesfield Junctions to Sunderland following Northallerton to Middlesbrough. Convert London to Sunderland service to electric traction. Option A10.1c Electrify Guide Bridge to Leeds, Leeds to Colton Junction and Hull, Northallerton to Middlesbrough, York to Scarborough and Temple Hirst to Selby following Manchester Deansgate to Liverpool (Edge Hill). Convert Hull to London and cross-Pennine services to electric traction. Modify crossPennine services so that they run between Liverpool and Manchester via the Chat Moss route.

Option A10.1d Combination of Option A10.1a with Option A20.4.

Option A10.1e Combination of Option A10.1b with Option A20.4.

Option A10.1f Combination of Option A10.1c with Option A20.4
Thanks to Cheguevara on the Manc forum. It seems option A10.1b was Network Rail's preferred option.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:21 PM   #119
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
the only thing i dont like is the god damn barriers and since they're a recent "upgrade" i dread to think what other "upgrades" will be in store for us.
Want to beat the barriers?

Just arrive at the station early or late. The barriers are so sh¡te they have to be manned at all times, so the station leaves them all wide open outside of office hours rather than pay anyone overtime to work them. Pointless. Of course, they're in use at peak times when massive crowds of people pouring off inter-city services are trying to get through them, causing an elf-n-safety issue they're suprisingly happy to turn a blind eye to.

Stupidest. Idea. Ever.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM   #120
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Want to beat the barriers?

Just arrive at the station early or late. The barriers are so sh¡te they have to be manned at all times, so the station leaves them all wide open outside of office hours rather than pay anyone overtime to work them. Pointless. Of course, they're in use at peak times when massive crowds of people pouring off inter-city services are trying to get through them, causing an elf-n-safety issue they're suprisingly happy to turn a blind eye to.

Stupidest. Idea. Ever.
yes i often had to pick my gf up at 10:30pm or drop her off very early in the morning so would just wander through.

also, ive never, ever seen the barriers at far side of the ticket office open. the one time i've seen staff manning those barriers i went to exit that way, but they told me they were closed. seemed they just wanted somewhere quiet to hang out!

Tags
newcastle, newcastle transport, rail, railways, transport