daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2011, 11:33 PM   #121
cranfan

Likes (Received): 41

Thinking about why you might need assistance at the barriers.

- You have a print-at-home ticket.
- Or one delivered to your mobile
- Or an airline-style massive one (are these still issued? and would they work anyway?)
- On-train staff were unable to sell you a ticket

This latter happens quite often on Northern. Faulty ticket machines, running out of change - but mostly because on the better-used services (often provided by a single Pacer, natch) it's practically impossible to get up and down the train. It's possible that there is a new policy for this - the last time it happened to me the guard announced that he was sorry he couldn't make it just now but we could buy tickets off him on the platform at Newcastle.

One thing I wonder is how well do the barriers cope with season tickets? Especially longer term ones that will have a bit of wear and tear by the time they expire.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2011, 12:55 AM   #122
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Likes (Received): 19

Barriers at the end nearest to platform 1 are only in use for the morning peak - and for people getting off trains as well. Never seen it used at any other time. Plus barriers only make sure you have a ticket to get through - you could buy a single child ticket to Manors and get through and (potentially) travel to anywhere you wanted.

Print at home tickets should have a barcode which is scanned (there is a scanner lower down from the ticket slot). Airline style tickets are rarely issued these days but the staff will open the barrier anyway - same for season tickets (some go through and some don't - plus you can normally exchange a worn season ticket for a new one).
Manors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM   #123
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

I've found print at home tickets more reliable than the traditional ones at getting the barriers at Newcastle to open.

Unfortunately, they're not compatible with the barriers at Kings Cross which have no barcode scanner, so you have to queue for ages at the one barrier with a human attached to it there.

Clearly, a great deal of thought went into the whole carry-on.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM   #124
cranfan

Thanks, I'll try print-at-home next time. Kings Cross - very poor. Although I expect new barriers will shortly be going in as part of the big rework down there?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:03 AM   #125
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 24

The existing ones on the right hand side of the concourse already are fairly new. When the ones on the other side go in, then it'd make sense to have barcode scanners on them.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #126
JoeColl

Likes (Received): 6

Newcastle Council, in their "One Core Strategy and Urban Core Area Action Plan" list Follingsby as a key site for potential new Park & Ride development for Newcastle city centre.

This is the perfect opportunity to relieve pressure on the A1 (especially at teams) by opening leamside and linking to to the Durham Park & Ride near Ramside to any new development at Follingsby.

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/sites/d...t_core_lr2.pdf
JoeColl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #127
cranfan

Why not enhance the existing park-and-ride at Heworth?
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #128
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian; November 29th 2011
Central Station to benefit from £15m makeover
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, November 29th 2011

MORE than £20m is expected to be announced for the North East today as the final two regional growth fund projects are unveiled.

Newcastle Central Station is to benefit from a £15m makeover, both inside and outside, as part of a successful regional growth fund bid. The project includes more than £8m from Network Rail.

Network Rail plan to transform the station’s interior providing new shops, improved passenger waiting accommodation and toilets, better signage and alterations to the existing bridge, while adding lifts and escalators to make it easier to move around the heritage listed building. There will also be improved glazed canopies to flood the station with natural light.

NE1 and the City Council also plan to improve the area around the Central Station for pedestrians, drivers, cyclists and visitors to the city and help to further kick-start the ongoing economic regeneration of that area.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1f5PRA5LL

Central Station facelift is confirmed
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, December 6th 2011

CITY businesses are celebrating after ministers confirmed a £15m facelift for the Central Station. The regional growth fund payout of nearly £5m will be added to Network Rail’s £8.6m of station improvements and business and council contributions.

Bosses at the business improvement group NE1 say the money will go on making the city station area more impressive to visitors, with work including upgrading pavements, changing the road layout and better signage.

In the station it is thought the improvements will include relocation the ticket barriers, which divided the station and prevent customers not immediately boarding a train from reaching cashpoints and other shops.

Sean Bullick, chief executive at NE1, said the work was important for the city’s reputation. He said: “The basic idea is that this is the first glimpse of Newcastle and indeed the region that many people have when they arrive here and at the moment it is just not good enough.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1fk89Oytd
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #129
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Central Station facelift is confirmed
by Adrian Pearson, The Journal, December 6th 2011

CITY businesses are celebrating after ministers confirmed a £15m facelift for the Central Station. The regional growth fund payout of nearly £5m will be added to Network Rail’s £8.6m of station improvements and business and council contributions.

Bosses at the business improvement group NE1 say the money will go on making the city station area more impressive to visitors, with work including upgrading pavements, changing the road layout and better signage.

In the station it is thought the improvements will include relocation the ticket barriers, which divided the station and prevent customers not immediately boarding a train from reaching cashpoints and other shops.

Sean Bullick, chief executive at NE1, said the work was important for the city’s reputation. He said: “The basic idea is that this is the first glimpse of Newcastle and indeed the region that many people have when they arrive here and at the moment it is just not good enough.

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1fk89Oytd
Thank god for that, ridiculous they were put where they are in the first place.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #130
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
Why not enhance the existing park-and-ride at Heworth?
Not enough space unless you were to build a multi-storey.
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #131
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2437

Gateshead Railway Station (closed), Wellington St & High Level Parade, Gateshead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesheadlass View Post
Hi Steve

thanks anyway. I'm very interested in how Wellington Street on the Gateshead side came about and has changed over the years - was hoping if there were photos of the bridge being built I could see what it looked like from the start. There seems to be much less info around on Gateshead which is a bit of a shame.

Janice

JANICE

In case you do not know I posted some pictures of Wellington & High Level Parade (the shops) in the Gateshead Developments thread on 3 November 2011 - Page 16 post #306

For information the entrance to the Gateshead East Station (closed just after the Metro arrived on south of the river) was by a flight of steps, location now occupied by Ali Geez takeaway (shop unit to north of "open arch")

Gateshead West Station platforms are still there and can be seen by walking up the inclined car par park area ( north of Railway Club building) up to the west side of the end of the High Level Bridge - also gives good viewpoint across the bridge and was point from which photographs mentioned above were taken from

TO OTHERS

One thing I would like to see would be a photograph of the (from memory) blue and white tiled map of either BR or LNER railways in this area that used to be located half way up the staircase - I have checked via Google and found locations of same/similar that used to be located at other stations, however no pictures seem viewable.

In respect of the tiled map I do not mean the one located in the underpass area of National Railway Museum at York ( see pictures below taken by me some in May 2010 - hosted in Photobucket)

Anyone have any ideas where to source the picture I wish to see?

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #132
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post

Anyone have any ideas where to source the picture I wish to see?

KEN
I am not sure I can help with the pics but I am sure I have seen something similar in York [mainline], Darlo' and Manc' Victoria.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #133
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

MP slates Northern Rail bosses for overcrowding fiasco
by Stephen Cape, The Journal, January 20th 2012

A NORTH EAST MP has blamed Northern Rail for failing to ease overcrowding on an early-morning Northumberland commuter train.

Hundreds of commuters use the “jam-packed” service travelling from Hexham to Newcastle every day and just before Christmas the rail company bowed to public pressure to bolt on extra carriages, but after just three days they were removed without warning.

It emerged that train drivers’ union Aslef raised health and safety concerns in an issue now dubbed “torchgate”. The way the new carriages were attached meant drivers had to jump down from the cab and walk from one end of the train to the other in order to change direction.

The union deemed it was a hazard for drivers to walk in the dark without a proper light to avoid hazards, but The Journal understands that managers have dismissed claims that lighting is necessary, and say the issue is not health and safety but industrial relations.

Negotiations between the union and Northern Rail have so far failed to reach an agreement.

Now Hexham Conservative MP Guy Opperman has in frustration offered to buy torches for the drivers to solve the lighting stand-off. “I blame Northern Rail for their failure to plan and their failure to sort this out with the drivers and their union,” he said. “The public will be amazed that a more practical and speedy solution cannot be found.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1jzd8hg2d
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #134
andy1961

Likes (Received): 0

Re wall map at Gateshead Station

This map is on the wall of Hartlepool Station. The station was extensively renovated so I don't know if it has always been there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5076152327/
andy1961 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:15 AM   #135
cranfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
The way the new carriages were attached meant drivers had to jump down from the cab and walk from one end of the train to the other in order to change direction.
"It's degenerated into an utter farce!"

The way the article is written suggests that the extra carriages could have been attached in a better way - not so, the problem is that the "Class 142s" in question have no provision for a corridor connection between units when they are coupled together. Which in turn means that the driver cannot walk through the train to get from one end to the other. And similarly you have to put a ticket bloke in each end.

The reason for this is that the 142 is very much an economy design (or, cheap tat) for services that don't get enough usage to be viable otherwise. And if you are full and standing you should be pulling in enough revenue to put a proper train on rather than doubling up on rubbish.

Having said all that, the issue here is human rather than technical.
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #136
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

The Northern franchise was let on a 0% growth basis by the DfT - and as everyone knows there has been a large rate of growth in rail travel over the past few years. Putting additional rolling stock onto trains is more difficult than it sounds - you need to get the stock from somewhere in the first place, it is normally specified by the DfT anyway and the problem we have up here is that we already have stock such as 142s and 156s, so we are likely to see more of them due to cascades from other areas. Indeed this extra 142 has come about by the movement of 142s from First Great Western services around Plymouth/Exeter which have returned north.

As has been pointed out 142s lack a corridor connection, so the driver has to get down from the cab at one end and walk to the other. Normally this shouldn't be a problem but rightly or wrongly ASLEF has said it is. I'll leave them and Northern to debate that.

However, if Guy Opperman really wanted to get something done he'd be complaining to the DfT to get more rolling stock rather than complaining about this very small issue to score some quick brownie points with the folk in Hexham.

RE the map at Gateshead - there is one at Tynemouth in a similar style, but I'm not sure if there was a different one produced?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:24 AM   #137
cranfan

According to the TVLRUG, Northern and ASLEF have come to a temporary agreement which will see the 7.42 from Hexham back up to 4 carriages from tomorrow - further discussions to be held in a couple of weeks.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:13 AM   #138
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 24

I don't get this. The only time the driver needs to change direction is at a terminus, surely? So he/she can just walk along the platform. It's not like the train stops in the middle of a field for the driver to them walk down open tracks. What happens when a train fails and the driver is expected to see what the problem is which involves them getting out in the open, even in darkness? They don't just sit in their cab like a stubborn child.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM   #139
Manors
Between Manors and Byker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
I don't get this. The only time the driver needs to change direction is at a terminus, surely? So he/she can just walk along the platform. It's not like the train stops in the middle of a field for the driver to them walk down open tracks. What happens when a train fails and the driver is expected to see what the problem is which involves them getting out in the open, even in darkness? They don't just sit in their cab like a stubborn child.
The train has to run into a siding to allow a Newcastle - Glasgow service get through.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM   #140
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Further to Post 137, by cranfan yesterday . .

Northern Rail to add carriages to Tynedale train
by Stephen Cape, The Journal, January 23rd 2012

EXTRA CARRIAGES to ease congestion on a packed Tynedale train are expected to be restored from this morning following a surprise deal, The Journal can reveal.

Only last week, Hexham MP Guy Opperman criticised Northern Rail for failing to reach a “speedy solution” in the “torchgate” dispute with the drivers’ union Aslef, but an unscheduled meeting between the two sides has secured an “interim” agreement with the extra carriages being hitched to the early morning Hexham to Middlesbrough service.

The union claimed the way the new carriages were attached meant drivers had to jump down from the cab and walk from one end to the other in order to change direction. It was deemed a hazard because in darkness, drivers could stumble or fall without a proper light.

Northern Rail said it had been desperate to reach a deal and welcomed the stop-gap agreement. A spokeswoman said: “We are very pleased to be able to reintroduce these additional carriages to provide more seats for passengers on the 07.42 Hexham to Newcastle service from today."

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1kHORQIhy

Tags
newcastle, newcastle transport, rail, railways, transport