search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #21
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I was speaking to a North Tyneside councillor and she said the site currently has permission for industrial units.

If thats the case then surely the new mixed development proposals are better.
Is that the Smith's Dock or Scaffold Hill development?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM   #22
Steve Ellwood

This small piece was in last nights Newcastle Evening Chronicle - courtesy of NCJMedia:

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #23
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Is that the Smith's Dock or Scaffold Hill development?
Scaffold Hill.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM   #24
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
This small piece was in last nights Newcastle Evening Chronicle - courtesy of NCJMedia:

What is this guys problem?

I'm assuming he has never seen the actual plans and had a look at it's sustainability reports.

Also the land between Backworth and Northumberland park is just wasted land. Every year the residents of Backworth have to put up with the farmer spraying human waste on the land and the awful smell that comes with it. Also every year the corn that does actually grow on the land is either set alight or "caught" alight by the sun.

I know this because I used to live there and my house backed onto the said field.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #25
Steve Ellwood

Norgas House

This article from the Newcastle Evening Chronicle of 3rd February 2012 - credit NCJmedia Ltd.

The matter of the demolition and redevelopment is being discussed by local residents on their web site Killingworth lake @ http://www.killingworthlake.co.uk/category/news

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #26
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Courtesy of "Killingworth Photos and Videos on Facebook" - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/killingworth/
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #27
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I have to say, 123 homes seems rather excessive for the size of the site.

I'm not against the building of homes there, just I think the site will be overcrowded and the homes would inevitably just be box homes.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #28
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

One of the finest modernist buildings in the country, and part of a unique collection of R&Y buildings in Killingworth that North Tyneside Council should cherish and protect. Not that they will.
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #29
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1497

Talking about the 'older buildings' of Killingworth Township, here are some interesting photos of Killingworth as it used to be, from the Facebook Website . . .

Killingworth Photos and Videos
https://www.facebook.com/groups/killingworth/

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #30
WilfBurnsFan

It must have been a bit breezy walking from he towers to Woolco in February.
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Steve Ellwood

The Musketeer

Thought it wouldn't be too long until The Musketeer on Great Lime Road bit the dust - been empty for a long while now after a period of differing managers trying to control this 'dodgy boozer'.

12/00270/FUL | Demolition of existing buildings and erection of foodstore with associated access, car parking, landscaping and servicing | The Musketeer Great Lime Road Forest Hall NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NE12 9DH
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=LZ6SWPBHDX000

Proposal is for an Aldi Store, suppose its makes a change from Tesco!

Looks like they are making efforts to engage with the local community, so good luck to them.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #32
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

Great news IMO big fan of there selection of hams/cheeses etc and some of their wine ain't bad either, will be a welcome addition to me as a forest hall resident
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #33
Chess1

Likes (Received): 15

When we were kids in the late 50's early 60's we used to go up to West Moor carry along Great Lime Rd and go into the waste land where Killy was built. You could see half a dozen pit heaps as the land is very flat. It also had a massive pit pond and was great fun for collecting birds eggs etc (I know...very wrong but hey ho). Im sure the pond is the one that exists now. Rumour had it that there was a flooded pit shaft in the centre and no one dared venture out of the shallows!
Oh happy days!
Chess1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #34
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess1 View Post
When we were kids in the late 50's early 60's we used to go up to West Moor carry along Great Lime Rd and go into the waste land where Killy was built. You could see half a dozen pit heaps as the land is very flat. It also had a massive pit pond and was great fun for collecting birds eggs etc (I know...very wrong but hey ho). Im sure the pond is the one that exists now. Rumour had it that there was a flooded pit shaft in the centre and no one dared venture out of the shallows!
Oh happy days!
The present Killingworth Lake is man made - 17 acres of former flooded land. I think the former pit shaft in the centre may be an urban myth or perhaps the type of tale told to children by their parents to warn them off

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old February 27th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #35
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I used to go to GSHS which is right on the lake. Swans are always at the Lake. I remember one time though walking past a Swan's nest and it was looking at it's eggs all of which had been smashed by some mindless idiot. The look of sorrow on that Swan's face (really I could actually see the poor things pain) made me feel so sorry for it.

I also remember one time I helped save a bird who had it's legs caught in some wire. When I first started going to GSHS in the winter you used to be able to walk over the frozen lake (not that I ever had the guts to try it), in my later years there it never froze over in the winter.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; May 2nd, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #36
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I used to go to GSHS which is right on the lake. Swans are always at the Lake. I remember one time though walking past a Swan's nest and it was looking at it's eggs all of which had been smashed by some mindless idiot. The look of sorrow on that Swan's face (really I could actually see the port things pain) made me feel so sorry for it.

I also remember one time I helped save a bird who had it's legs caught in some wire. When I first started going to GSHS in the winter you used to be able to walk over the frozen lake (not that I ever had the guts to try it), in my later years there it never froze over in the winter.
Just been reading the Killingworth Lake web site @ http://www.killingworthlake.co.uk/st...ding-the-swans

Population of Killingworth Lake reaches between 120 – 160 swans.

Reading/hearing/seeing people walking on ice in this country always makes me wince - recall a school friend going through the ice on a temporary lake on Westerhope Golf Club but luckily he survived - just!

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #37
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
They are opening on great lime rd in forest hall too, work was due to start in jan but so far no signs of life
Where about in particular?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #38
kieron79

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Where about in particular?
In what used to be the old job centre, I know there were a few planning issues but believe that was all sorted
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #39
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
In what used to be the old job centre, I know there were a few planning issues but believe that was all sorted
Cheers for that, I did notice when passing last week that the building was empty - quite a big footprint and hadn't realised the large car park to the rear.

There is a POA on the building as 10/02487/FUL | Change of use from A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to mixed use comprising of A3 restaurant (Restaurants and cafes) and A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to the ground floor and A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to the first floor. Associated external alterations and car parking to the front and rear of the building (Amended description and revised plans dated 11.3.11) | 74 - 82 Great Lime Road West Moor NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NE12 7AL
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=L937RPBHDX000

The PA did go to an Appeal and the Planning Directorate found in favour of the developers plans.

These screen prints courtesy of Google Earth and Google Street View.Hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:38 PM   #40
WilfBurnsFan

Quote:
Cheers for that, I did notice when passing last week that the building was empty - quite a big footprint and hadn't realised the large car park to the rear.

There is a POA on the building as 10/02487/FUL | Change of use from A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to mixed use comprising of A3 restaurant (Restaurants and cafes) and A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to the ground floor and A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to the first floor. Associated external alterations and car parking to the front and rear of the building (Amended description and revised plans dated 11.3.11) | 74 - 82 Great Lime Road West Moor NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NE12 7AL
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=L937RPBHDX000

The PA did go to an Appeal and the Planning Directorate found in favour of the developers plans.

These screen prints courtesy of Google Earth and Google Street View.Hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk.

I'm presuming that's an old Co-op building

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, north tyneside