daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM   #61
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Lots of work going happening on Great Lime road. Lime gardens is well on it's way, the first few houses are just about to get their roofs on and the rest of the site is dug up and sewer tunnels are being put in place.

The former Musketeer pub and car showroom has now got fencing around it and demolition is about to start. Also the empty brownfield site that has stood empty since time began on the corner opposite the Cannon Inn has boards around it and the site is being cleared. I don't know whats going there, for some reason a residential home springs to mind or it maybe just houses, if anyone has any answers then it would be appreciated.

Oh and lastly the paint work on the West Moor railway bridge is finished and it's now a Tyne bridge green colour.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #62
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottersmellyfeet View Post
November 2nd 2011

Hello there, the old job centre in Forest Hall is going to be a Sambuca's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
November 2nd 2011

Yeah spoke to the manager of Heaton Park Sambuca's the other day and it's aiming for a January opening, it's going to have 300 covers apparently

Drove past there today (it's next the turning into West Lane that leads up to the Killingworth Arms, in Killingworth Village) and the whole long glass windows and shop frontage (about five windows in total) is now made out with the Sambuca's Logo.

Don't know when it will open, it looks fairly close to being ready, but it is certainly looks like it is going to be a pretty big place!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #63
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Wish I had a Sambuca's within a mile or two of me.
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #64
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb View Post
Wish I had a Sambuca's within a mile or two of me.

I've actually not been to one!

What are the best things about them, what food do they do best?
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #65
merleb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I've actually not been to one!

What are the best things about them, what food do they do best?
The original one on the Fish Quay is probably the best NH. But you have to like 'cheap and cheerful' and not go with any pretensious expectations. Also knowing that their business model of very low profit margins and quick turnover can often lead to a 'quick' meal as they strive to get as many covers as possible.

Saying all that the £3.95 for 3 courses deal is exceptional. Potato skins or soup for starter, any pizza and then coffee or ice cream.

The steak dishes are also very nice from what I have seen with Fillet Steaks for about a tenner.
merleb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #66
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleb View Post
The original one on the Fish Quay is probably the best NH. But you have to like 'cheap and cheerful' and not go with any pretensious expectations. Also knowing that their business model of very low profit margins and quick turnover can often lead to a 'quick' meal as they strive to get as many covers as possible.

Saying all that the £3.95 for 3 courses deal is exceptional. Potato skins or soup for starter, any pizza and then coffee or ice cream.

The steak dishes are also very nice from what I have seen with Fillet Steaks for about a tenner.

I enjoy a good steak meal, and I do go to that area quite a lot (family reasons) so hopefully we will give it a try!
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:00 AM   #67
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

The former petrol station/car garage next to the old Musketeer pub on Great Lime road has been demolished, the land opposite the Coach Inn is boarded up and activity on that site has stopped. The first few houses of Lime Gardens are up, and the former job centre building is apparently going to be a Sambucca's.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #68
Angel of the South

Likes (Received): 17

Demolition of the Musketeer pub on Great Lime Road is almost complete. Drove past it last night whilst it was being torn down.
Angel of the South no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #69
Trotter1987

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of the South View Post
Demolition of the Musketeer pub on Great Lime Road is almost complete. Drove past it last night whilst it was being torn down.
Another shame! 'Specially since I wanted to go in.
Trotter1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #70
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Cheers for that, I did notice when passing last week that the building was empty - quite a big footprint and hadn't realised the large car park to the rear.

There is a POA on the building as 10/02487/FUL | Change of use from A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to mixed use comprising of A3 restaurant (Restaurants and cafes) and A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to the ground floor and A2 office (Financial and Professional services) to the first floor. Associated external alterations and car parking to the front and rear of the building (Amended description and revised plans dated 11.3.11) | 74 - 82 Great Lime Road West Moor NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NE12 7AL
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=L937RPBHDX000

The PA did go to an Appeal and the Planning Directorate found in favour of the developers plans.
Sambuca's now open at this location

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #71
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 561

How about this one of Killingworth in 1987, just before the infamous Towers were demolished, with some shots of the equally Brutalist town centre.

Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #72
Jazmincleo

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylett 67 View Post
How about this one of Killingworth in 1987, just before the infamous Towers were demolished, with some shots of the equally Brutalist town centre.

They look like Serbia
Jazmincleo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #73
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Iconic Killingworth building could be knocked down
by Sonia Sharma, The Journal, March 8th 2013

Stephenson House in Killingworth

AN ICONIC office block, designed by leading North East architects, could be demolished and replaced with houses. Stephenson House, on the Stephenson Industrial Estate in Killingworth, was built around 1965 by Gordon Ryder and Peter Yates. It is one of a series of buildings in the area produced by the architects. The two-storey structure, which has been empty since 2009, is on North Tyneside Council’s local register of buildings of architectural and historic interest. Now plans have been put together by Savills LLP to demolish the site and construct 24 homes.

Mark Brooker, senior planner for Storeys Edward Symmons, Tyneside- based agents for Savills LLP, said: “The building has been vacant since 2009 and has suffered from vandalism. “It has been marketed over the years but no-one has shown interest in occupying the space, especially since there are other business parks, like the Cobalt, in the borough. The building is at the end of its useful life. North Tyneside needs more housing and this scheme provides an opportunity to redevelop a brownfield site.”

Two other Ryder and Yates buildings in the area are also being knocked down. Norgas House, which had lain empty for more than five years, is to be replaced by houses. Despite a marketing campaign, no occupiers were found for the site. In addition, the former Norgas Training College, known as Chan House, is also to be demolished.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz2MwHJRx2c

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 26th, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #74
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I'm sorry but how many times do the Chronicle need to write about this. It has been general knowledge for about two years now and has been reported many times already.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #75
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

I thought NTC had already given approval for demolition.
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #76
Delaval

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I'm sorry but how many times do the Chronicle need to write about this. It has been general knowledge for about two years now and has been reported many times already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
I thought NTC had already given approval for demolition.
I think you're both thinking of Norgas House across the road.
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #77
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 60

So NTC want to allow both to be pulled down? Why not level the old Gas Research Station as well, then they will have comprehensively destroyed the finest collection of pure modernist architecture in the UK.

Bloody philistines.
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #78
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
I think you're both thinking of Norgas House across the road.

Yes, Norgas House has been covered quite extensively on this thread, but this is (almost) the first mention of Stephenson House, as far as the
Index thread shows (under "K" for Killingworth) . . .

Old March 19th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #79
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

The steel frame for the Aldi store on Great lime road is up.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #80
Southwood285

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
The former petrol station/car garage next to the old Musketeer pub on Great Lime road has been demolished, the land opposite the Coach Inn is boarded up and activity on that site has stopped. The first few houses of Lime Gardens are up, and the former job centre building is apparently going to be a Sambucca's.
Does anyone know what is happening on the land opposite the Coach Inn ( site of the former filling station)?
Planning permission was refused a few years ago(2006 I think) and there was some talk of Tree Preservation playing a part. Now there has been some clearance of trees etc. I cannot find any reference to a planning application .
Any one able to help,please?
Southwood285 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, north tyneside