daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #121
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4005

New housing plans get the green light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...mitted-5744004

Fresh plan for new housing development in Palmersville

By Sonia Sharma - 17th August 2013

Banks Property project manager Stuart Morgan at the proposed housing site

A housing firm is making a second attempt to build a new residential development in Tyneside after its previous plans were turned down.

Earlier this year Banks Property, part of the Banks Group, put forward plans for 61 homes on a 4.5-acre site off Great Lime Road in Palmersville, adjacent to the existing Forest Gate estate.

The scheme was rejected by a North Tyneside Council planning committee in March on the grounds there could be gas migration from a former landfill site in the area, and would result in the loss of greenfield space. The panel also felt construction traffic would have an impact on highway safety, and noise would adversely affect residents at Forest Gate.

The project had been recommended for approval by planning officers who said that, subject to conditions, the site would be suitable for residential use, despite the proximity of the former landfill site.

However, the committee voted against the proposal 17 to 1.

Now the Banks Group has resubmitted the plans. The company says the council has withdrawn three of the four refusal reasons. And the final objection, relating to ecology matters, is being addressed.

Managing director Michael Shuttleworth said: “We were obviously disappointed to have the proposals turned down by the committee, especially after planning officers had recommended them for approval, and firmly believe that the additional ecological survey work we’ve now made fully address the concerns that were raised earlier this year.

“Over £140,000 would be made available through this project for investment in school, play spaces, sports facilities and wildlife habitats. It would also lead to revenue benefits for shops and services.”

A council spokesman said the scheme was due to be considered by a planning committee, therefore it was inappropriate to make any comment at this stage.
From yesterday's News Guardian @ http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/l...ight-1-6160438

New housing plans get the green light

Proposals for a new residential development in North Tyneside have been given the go-ahead.

North Tyneside Council’s planning committee last week agreed plans by Banks Property, for 61 two, three and four-bedroom family homes on a 4.5-acre site off Great Lime Road in Palmersville.

The proposals were initially rejected by the planning committee in March this year, but a revised plan has now been agreed.

As part of the project, Banks said it will make investments in a number of community improvements, including the provision of education and sporting facilities in North Tyneside, and local play spaces and wildlife habitats.

Mark Dowdall, environment and community director at The Banks Group, said: “We’re very pleased that North Tyneside Council’s planning committee has now resolved to grant planning permission for our Palmersville planning application.

“There is an acknowledged and increasingly pressing need for more family homes in North Tyneside and our scheme will provide new options for people wanting to move into or stay in the area.

“We are looking forward to taking these plans forward as quickly as possible.”

More than £140,000 will be made available through the project for investment in local school, play spaces, sports facilities and wildlife habitats.

The site will offer a number of different options for both first time buyers and established homeowners, as well as a 25 per cent allocation of affordable housing.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:06 AM   #122
tassletine

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Received this today . . .

Any thoughts anyone?
I suggested at work that while "Norgas" was a rather unattractive name, the link to the past could perhaps be maintained with an anagram of "Norgas"? I was met with a flurry of groans.

Squipper liked this post
tassletine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #123
Squipper

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassletine View Post
I suggested at work that while "Norgas" was a rather unattractive name, the link to the past could perhaps be maintained with an anagram of "Norgas"? I was met with a flurry of groans.
Jesus wept

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 08:13 PM   #124
Steve Ellwood

Former Billy Pit Colliery Site, land off Whitley Road, Benton

13/00965/FUL | Proposed residential development of 75 dwellings and associated estate roads, external works and landscaping (Amended Layout Plan Rev J Received 31.07.13) (Amended Landscaping Scheme received 24.07.13) | Stables And Land At Billys Pit Whitley Road Benton NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

Reference 13/00965/FUL
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Fri 31 May 2013
Address Stables And Land At Billys Pit Whitley Road Benton NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
Proposal Proposed residential development of 75 dwellings and associated estate roads, external works and landscaping (Amended Layout Plan Rev J Received 31.07.13) (Amended Landscaping Scheme received 24.07.13)
Status Application Permitted
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=MNT6NMBH09700

From the Design and Access Statement, copyright Signet Planning:

Signet Planning has been instructed by Taylor Wimpey North East to prepare a Design and Access Statement in support of a detailed planning application for a proposed residential development on land off Whitley Road, Benton.

A planning application was submitted to North Tyneside by Muse Developments council for the ‘Construction of a new access road linking Whitley Road to the former Billy Pit site via the western boundary of the Blue Flames Sporting Club site’ in February 2013. However, following a series of consultations, road safety issues regarding the access off the A191 Whitley Road were raised by North Tyneside’s highway consultants. As a result, a revised application was submitted in May 2013 which revised the location of the new road and also included a small new car park for Blue Flames’ bowls club. The road is stage one of a proposed development that seeks planning permission for residential development on the Former Billy Pit Colliery site.

The application site is the site of the former Billy Pit Colliery site and is 4.137Ha in size and rectangular in shape. It is bounded by the Blue Flames Sporting Club and associated pitches to the north, Newcastle United Football Club training pitches to the east and south and Tyneview Park, a large government office site, to the west (with associated car parking).

Images hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 6th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #125
Steve Ellwood

Final strike for popular XS Superbowl in Longbenton as it closes its doors

Courtesy of today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...erbowl-6470564

Final strike for popular XS Superbowl in Longbenton as it closes its doors
By Ruth Lawson - 6th January 2014

The last strike was bowled at a popular Tyneside bowling alley as it closed its doors for the very last time.

Staff at XS Superbowl in Longbenton waved goodbye to its final customers at 6pm last night after it was revealed the site was shutting for good.

The alley, which is owned by Namco Funscape, has been a much-loved leisure facility in North Tyneside for around 40 years, attracting scores of bowlers every day.

However, the company decided to close XS Superbowl for reasons that have not yet been made clear by the company.

Peter Smith, a former manager at the alley, has said it was a shame that the popular venue was being closed down.

He said: “As the largest ten-pin bowling centre in the North East, it has been an established family entertainment venue for over 30 years and I am sure that many people will have fond memories of the centre.

“I know, as a former manager myself in the 1990s when it was Megabowl, that I shall be sad to see it go. I was there for about two years and it was the first bowling alley I worked in.

“There was a party on a Friday night for everyone who used to work there and there must have been 80 or 90 people who turned up so it wasn’t a bad turn-out.”

The Chronicle understands that staff at the bowling alley have known about the closure for some time and many of them have been able to find alternative employment.

Peter, who is now area manger at MFA Bowl, said: “I’ve been told that it’s been on the cards for a little while and a gym is expected to take over the building.

“I believe there were in the region of about 30 employees before they started cutting it down for closure. But because they’ve known for quite a long time a lot were able to get jobs elsewhere.”

The Chronicle was unable to contact Namco Funscape, which also runs an entertainment centre in Gateshead’s Metrocentre, for comment last night but it is understood they are due to release a statement about the closure with further details this week.

The purpose-built bowling alley in Longbenton is understood to have been built in the 1970s and over the last four decades it has changed hands a number of times but it has always remained under the same use.

The closure will mean the only remaining bowling alley in North Tyneside is Starbowl at Royal Quays, North Shields.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 6th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #126
The Mole

Likes (Received): 30

Just what the area has been lacking another Gym. Wonder why the proposed gym did not take the No Frills site, it would take a lot less to convert that and could even have an area for outdoor exercise in the summer.
The Mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #127
wj_gibson

Likes (Received): 69

I do wonder if Namco is doing this specifically to drive bowling traffic to its MetroCentre outlet instead. A shame, because the Longbenton alley was easily the best bowling alley on Tyneside. It had 39 lanes for one. You could just turn up and get a lane without anything more than a half-hour wait at most.

I can't imagine there's much of a need for a massive shed-sized gymnasium out that way, especially given the absence of a local population and the fact that there is already a very good gym at Blue Flames that serves the eastern end of Benton perfectly well. Other than in city centres, when a visit can be combined with other activities (e.g. shopping), no one travels miles to go to a gym when there are any amount of other options available more locally.
wj_gibson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #128
Godscrasher

Likes (Received): 135

Wow, didn't know that had been there for 40 years. Could do with some local history on the place. I thought it had opened in the 90's.

I do remember there being a (I think it was) fish and chip restaurant in the now wynsors shoes
Godscrasher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #129
wj_gibson

I'm not sure it was quite 40 years old. Automated scoring for bowling only emerged in about 1980. Prior to that bowling was in steep decline as a leisure activity because of the difficulties involved in manually scoring games but boomed again when the automated scoring systems came into being.

I'm sorry it's closed. I spent a lot of Friday evenings there when I was 16, 17.
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #130
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Wow, didn't know that had been there for 40 years. Could do with some local history on the place. I thought it had opened in the 90's.

I do remember there being a (I think it was) fish and chip restaurant in the now wynsors shoes
Mistake by the Journalist by the look of it as these conflicting remarks are mentioned in the article:

The alley, which is owned by Namco Funscape, has been a much-loved leisure facility in North Tyneside for around 40 years, attracting scores of bowlers every day.

He said: “As the largest ten-pin bowling centre in the North East, it has been an established family entertainment venue for over 30 years and I am sure that many people will have fond memories of the centre.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #131
TheBigRoberto

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godscrasher View Post
Wow, didn't know that had been there for 40 years. Could do with some local history on the place. I thought it had opened in the 90's

Yes I think it was called Buster's but only lasted about a year
TheBigRoberto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #132
markwells

Likes (Received): 5

I was passing XS Bowl today, and there was a lot of works going on, looks like the fixtures & fittings are being removed sharpish.
Whilst looking on NTC planning, nothing is yet on for the change of use to a gym. Incidently, my friend is a Fitness Instructor at David Lloyd, and she says Fitness First are advertising for instructors in the Newcastle area, could they be about to make a return to the NE?

However, what I did stumble across was this;
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=MPRQO6BH06V00
It is for the former 'No-Frills DIY' store, the applicant is a CDS Superstores, which Google shows to be 'The Range' (home, leisure & garden) Stores.
markwells no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #133
markwells

Likes (Received): 5

http://www.xercise4less.co.uk/newcas...-image-library
Opening soon in the former XS Superbowl.

Steve Ellwood liked this post
markwells no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #134
wj_gibson

Are they seriously expecting to fill that massive space sufficiently often to make it financially viable? It's about five times the size of Eldon Leisure's gym and that was about a quarter full at 6.30 last night.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #135
Steve Ellwood

Full Steam Ahead For 200th Anniversary Of Stephenson's First Locomotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
After that depressing story, some good news (perhaps) for Killingworth:

Killingworth may get back Blucher train sculpture

A STRIKING metal sculpture of a historic locomotive – pulled down in the 1990s – could get a new home on a Tyneside roundabout.

Members of Killingworth Local History Society hope to restore the 25ft-long metal artwork of Blucher Locomotive in time for the bi-centenary in 2014 of the first run of George Stephenson’s famous engine.

Known locally as The Killingworth Engine, it was placed above the entrance to the town’s pool and community building.

When that was bulldozed in 1994 to make way for a shopping development, the sculpture was taken down and chopped in half for easy storage.

Now, the society hopes to resurrect the fractured artwork, kept at Stephenson Railway Museum in North Shields, and give it pride of place at the Southgate roundabout near the town.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1rB6DAqjS
From the North Tyneside Council web site @ http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/brow...ectCategory=23

Full Steam Ahead For 200th Anniversary Of Stephenson's First Locomotive
07-MAR-14 Issued by: Aileen Brewis

It's full steam ahead for a series of exciting events taking place in North Tyneside this summer to celebrate the 200th anniversary of George Stephenson's historic invention, the 'Blucher' Steam Locomotive.

Thanks to a grant of almost £55,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF); the council, its partners and community groups are now on track to mark the bi-centenary of the young Stephenson's first steam locomotive built in Killingworth.

A full programme of community activities is planned for this anniversary year with one of the highlights being the refurbishment and installation of the iconic steel sculpture of the Blucher on a prominent roundabout in the town.

The artwork by Charles Sansbury was first erected in Killingworth town centre in 1971 to symbolise the town's association with George Stephenson who lived there from 1804 and designed the Blucher - his first locomotive - in 1814. The sculpture was removed and put into storage during the regeneration of the town centre in the 80s and has not been on public display since.

Welcoming the re-instatement the Elected Mayor Norma Redfearn said: "Here in North Tyneside we are immensely proud of George Stephenson; the lad from a poor background who worked as a brakesman at Killingworth Pit and went on to become a railway pioneer and industrialist renowned as the 'Father of Railways'.

"I'm delighted that the Heritage Lottery Fund has approved our bid for almost £55,000 to celebrate the bi-centenary of the Blucher and must express my great thanks not only to the HLF but to members of the Killingworth Local History Society who have worked tirelessly over the years to make this project happen.

"The council will be working closely with these and other community groups and schools and to make this a very special year-long celebration of Stephenson's life and achievements. Many exciting events are being planned and they'll involve the whole community. I'm particularly pleased that the famous steel sculpture will be removed from storage, cleaned and erected on the Southgate roundabout where it will provide a wonderful gateway feature to Killingworth evoking the legacy of the great man."

This is also excellent news for Sheila Martin and Joe Wilkes of the Killingworth Local History Society. Sheila, who is Secretary, said: "I can't believe that this wonderful sculpture is finally going to be restored and brought back home to Killingworth. It's been six years since I first made enquiries - this is a great day!

Joe added: "I'm over the moon at this announcement! We've been working with the Council, the Robert Stephenson Trust and George Stephenson High School to put the bid together and show young people how Stephenson's invention 200 years ago has had such a huge impact on our lives."

Ivor Crowther, Heritage Lottery Fund North East, said: "George Stephenson's vital role in shaping the railways and his contribution to the industrial revolution is an integral part of North East heritage that everyone should know about and be able to appreciate. Through these community events, exhibitions and the reinstatement of the sculpture to celebrate the bi-centenary of Blucher' Steam Locomotive, this project will ensure his legacy lives on for many years to come."

Other activities made possible by the HLF funding include:

- Installation of a new Heritage trail interpretation board telling the story of the Stephenson's time in Killingworth and the history of the sculpture and its relationship to the development of the Killingworth township.
- A programme of educational activities aimed at engaging local schools and promoting learning about the Stephenson legacy.
- Publication of a new book compiled by the Northern Voices Community Projects that tells the story steam locomotion in North Tyneside.
- Production of a touring exhibition that will be available for display in community and educational venues.

Further Information:

The 'Blucher' 200th anniversary is on 25th July 2014

About the Heritage Lottery Fund:

Using money raised through the National Lottery, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) aims to make a lasting difference for heritage, people and communities across the UK and help build a resilient heritage economy. From museums, parks and historic places to archaeology, natural environment and cultural traditions, we invest in every part of our diverse heritage. HLF has supported almost 36,000 projects with more than £5.9bn across the UK. www.hlf.org.uk.

George Stephenson:

At the age of 20 George Stephenson began the construction of his first locomotive. Every part of the engine had to be made by hand, and hammered into shape just like a horseshoe. John Thorswall, a coal mine blacksmith, was George Stephenson's main assistant.

After 10 months' labour, George Stephenson's locomotive "Blucher" (named Bl�cher after the Prussian general Gebhard Leberecht von Bl�cher) was completed and tested on the Killingworth Railway on July 25, 1814. The track was an uphill trek of 450 feet. George Stephenson's engine hauled eight loaded coal wagons weighing 30 tons, at about four miles an hour. This was the first steam engined powered locomotive to run on a railroad and it was the most successful working steam engine that had ever been constructed up to this period, this encouraged the inventor make further experiments.

In all, Stephenson built 16 different engines which established his reputation as an engine designer and laid the foundations for his subsequent pivotal role in the development of the railways.

An imposing monument to was unveiled outside Newcastle Central Station in 1862 14 years after his death aged 67, on 12 August 1848.

In 2002, Stephenson was ranked 65th in the BBC's list of the 100 Greatest Britons following a UK-wide vote.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 8th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #136
Steve Ellwood

Blucher sculpture coming back home as part of 200th anniversary celebrations

From today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...ecline-6788116

Blucher sculpture coming back home as part of 200th anniversary celebrations

By Tony Henderson - 8th March 2014

Elected Mayor Norma Redfearn, Ivor Crowther, of HLF North East, and Sheila Martin and Joe Wilkes, of Killingworth Local History Society celebrate the good news. Above, rail pioneer George Stephenson

A sculpture is to journey back home as part of celebrations to mark the 200th anniversary of the building of the locomotive which helped make George Stephenson’s name.

Thanks to a grant of almost £55,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund, North Tyneside Council, its partners and community groups are now on track to mark the bi-centenary of the young Stephenson’s steam locomotive Blucher, which was built in Killingworth.

A programme of community activities is planned for the anniversary year with one of the highlights being the refurbishment and installation of the steel sculpture of the Blucher on the prominent Southgate roundabout in Killingworth.

The artwork by Charles Sansbury was first erected in Killingworth town centre in 1971 to symbolise the town’s association with George Stephenson who lived there from 1804 and designed Blucher in 1814. The sculpture was displayed on the exterior of a town centre pub named after another historic locomotive - Puffing Billy.

But when the pub was demolished the sculpture was removed and put into storage at the Stephenson Railway Museum in North Tyneside and has not been on public display since.

The confirmed return of Blucher has delighted Sheila Martin, who is secretary of Killingworth Local History Society.

She said: “It just disappeared at least 20 years ago when the pub was knocked down and nobody knew where it had gone.

“Being nosey, I thought I would find out and I eventually discovered where it was. It is a beautiful sculpture but people thought that it had been lost.

“I am really chuffed that it is coming back to Killingworth.”

George Stephenson lived at Dial Cottage in Killingworth with his son, Robert.

Blucher was named after the Prussian general who played a crucial part in winning the Battle of Waterloo when his army arrived to support the Duke of Wellington’s forces.

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...ecline-6788116

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:25 AM   #137
skida

I hope my geography is right and that this counts as Killingworth. Across the Spine Road from Peter Barratts Garden Centre, I have seen workmen with diggers putting some ditches in the fields between the Dual Carriageway and the railway line. It looks similar to the preparation work that happened at Newsham/Park Farm just before the building work started on the "Social Housing" there.

Does anyone know what is happening on that site?
skida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:00 AM   #138
Delaval

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by skida View Post
I hope my geography is right and that this counts as Killingworth. Across the Spine Road from Peter Barratts Garden Centre, I have seen workmen with diggers putting some ditches in the fields between the Dual Carriageway and the railway line. It looks similar to the preparation work that happened at Newsham/Park Farm just before the building work started on the "Social Housing" there.

Does anyone know what is happening on that site?
Bellway are building 366 executive homes. It will involve a new roundabout on the spine road to access the development. The application was refused by NTC but granted on appeal by the Secretary of State on the grounds the council's local development plan was out of date and therefore the land was not safeguarded from development.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...-build-5855195
Delaval está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM   #139
skida

That is awful! With all the brown field land that has just become available less than half a mile away with the demolition of to commercial blocks the other side of the road to the Norgas development.

I'm trying to get my head around how building 366 executive house relates to a spokesman for Bellway said: “This will assist in providing much needed family and affordable homes for the area.”
skida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:59 PM   #140
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by skida View Post
That is awful! With all the brown field land that has just become available less than half a mile away with the demolition of to commercial blocks the other side of the road to the Norgas development.

The sites opposite Norgas are having housing developments as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SkyscraperCity Forums

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, north tyneside