search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #1
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

Ochre Yards Housing Development (former Greenesfield Railway Depot) | Gateshead | Various | U/C

Ochre Yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post

uk land estates have submitted a proposal at the ochre yards site on gateshead quays (behind the hilton sort of) for a 9 storey office building, a 6 storey office building, a 7 storey office/hotel building, a 2 floor extension of the current 2 storey victorian building, and refurbishment of the 4 storey hotel building.

quite a big development - the 9 storey building is huge (and would look much better thinner and taller) and i think the boxy nature of the development might have to be amended before it gets planning permission.

this proposal of course sits alongside the 750+ unit residential development by bellway.

don't like how the front is cut away to expose glass, just looks like a bomb has blown off the stone facade. i suppose they want to maximise views but the mass and feel of the buildings is all in the nice stone cladding and presenting a bland uniform glass panel as the frontage is dull and boring, especially used in that flat box shape.

i think some good alterations would be to make the glass frontage curve outwards (or extend outwards in a jagged angular fashion as in the third picture), and for it to extend all the way to the edge to hide the stone cladding on the sides, and then to give the central atrium/staircase more prominence, maybe being vertically bordered by the stone, and given some sort of ornamental visual marker on the top, not unlike how carey jones designed central square across the river:

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; October 28th, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Copied from (old/closed) "Newcastle Projects" thread
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #2
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Hmmm, not sure about this one. It's not bad, it would probably look ok but it doesn't grab my attention. I agree with your comments about the glass frontage, it would be good if they made more of a feature of it.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 301

Hmm... Not sure about those... theyre Ok, i guess
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #4
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 534

The land on that side of the river is unstable due to old mine workings, which counts against tall thin buildings.... the 1960's Bensham Court tower has always been plagued with rumours that it's sinking.

The Ochre yards site isn't bad - this was actually where the original newcastle train station was, before a bridge was built over the tyne. The quality of construction is reasonable, although there's a complete lack of the 'wow factor' of the Sage that we could do with more of.
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #5
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

there's plenty of rumours about the hilton sliding down the hill too, which delayed opening for about a year, while the Sage is supported by thousands of steel pipes driven into the ground, much like the Sacre Coeur in Montmartre where locals say the basilica holds up the hill, rather than the other way round.

ochre yards definitely doesn't inspire or wow from a distance, but up close it is extremely well designed and very pleasant to walk around - the refurbishment of the old buildings is top notch. the UK Land Estates plan refurbishes two more old buildings around a central courtyard so i've high hopes for that part of the scheme.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM   #6
steve_ncl

Likes (Received): 0

Hello,

I often follow this thread but have not commented before, however, I would be interested to hear peoples views on Ochre Yards in Gateshead.

It is an area with a really interesting history and close the city centre without having the down sides of all the noise. I have often thought about moving there but I am a little hesitant as there is a still a lot of the site to develop as well as the neighbouring site named “The Point” which will include office, leisure and hotel accommodation.

I broadly like the design of Ochre Yards and there are amazing views across the river. The conversion of the railway buildings gives the development a real sense of identity, which sits well next to the contemporary architecture. However, I do question weather this area will ever become and a true urban village as it currently lacks any soul. Any thoughts?
steve_ncl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM   #7
tcollins

Likes (Received): 2

My understanding of Ochre Yards is that it's all apartments, and call me sceptical, but I'm not convinced that apartment blocks are ever going to achieve and "urban village" type of atmosphere. Given how popular Staithes South Bank seems to be with its residents, I'd say that would be a far better example of trying to achieve an urban village, even if it is a little further out from the city centre.

I've had a brief look around The Point in the past and I really like the design of some of the converted buildings, but it has been quite a while since I've been to that area. I might have a wander around it this weekend.

Personally I'm not a fan of large apartment developments and would never want to live in one, but that's just my opinion and there are clearly a lot of people who hold other views. I just can't get over my prejudicial feelings that they wouldn't be particularly friendly places in terms of people ever doing more than just nod to one-another as they pass on the stairs. I'd also not like the lack of a garden, but having a balcony view out over the river would be great. That said, I'd never pay £210,000 for a 2-bed apartment there. That would buy you a 4-bed townhouse with a garden and garage about two minutes up the road at the Five Wands development in Bensham, not to mention what you might get for that if you bought an older property further out.
tcollins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Seamaster
Sic semper tyrannis

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_ncl View Post
Hello,

I often follow this thread but have not commented before, however, I would be interested to hear peoples views on Ochre Yards in Gateshead. It is an area with a really interesting history and close the city centre without having the down sides of all the noise.
The noise is worse. It's slap bang next to where the trains to Sunderland bank left, and the squealing noise is deafening.
Seamaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM   #9
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 41

Regarding Ochre yards- I have a mate whop bought an apartment recently- and it was only £110k- not bad really- its only 1 bed like but has two balconies and is brand new with a nice floor to ceiling windows- it is great for him as a bachelor pad. Lets not remember that an old tyneside flat will have cot him about £80k so I know I would rather have paid the xtra £30k for Ochre Yards. Ochre though is just apartments because in reality it is classed as a city centre location and generally families don't want to live there- the mixture of families with kids and young singles in apartmenst don't mix that well- the familes don;t like the parties and young people don;t like the kids screaming about at 8am! Thats just my opinion though- I am sure these type of things have worked elsewhere- Staithes for example.
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2179

Ochre Yards Housing Development (former Greenesfield Railway Depot) | Gateshead | Various | U/C

A few pictures taken 02/11/11 approx 1315 showing ongoing work to block to west of site area and others showing completed new build blocks and completed refurbished former railway buildings on what was former rail depot and in the long past engine building shed

From Askew Road looking north

From within development

Completed new build blocks

New build (north elevation overlooking River Tyne) with "future refurb" building to rear of picture

Refurbished former railway buildings

Assume problem selling ?

One thing I noted was how close those properties to south of site were to the railway line linking Gateshead end of High Level and King Edward bridges - hope they have good sound insulation - this image hosted on Photobucket , input 26/10/13

There seems to be lots of space to west end of site, which is currently builders compound area - interesting to see if development will progress into this area

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; June 5th, 2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Yet again another swap of oversized images hosted on Image Shack with hosted on Photobucket
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards , Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 12/12/11

Further to my last posting on this project ( HOUSING, page 5 post #97 dated 03/11/11 rather than this thread) I append a few pictures ( hosted on Photobucket) taken 12/12/11 showing state of play on what appears to be the one block of properties being constructed at present - located immediately to west of Colombo Square block

From footbridge over Askew Rd looking north east

From within Ochre Yards development

and one looking west into the Contractor Compound area - wonder if there is more to be started ? is lot of area availiable and "seems to be possible plot area fenced off with barrier units"

KEN
Old March 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #12
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards , Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 17/03/12

Further to my last posting on this project (# 2 = former Gateshead Developments post #455 on 12/12/11) I append a few pictures ( hosted on Photobucket) taken 17/03/12 showing state of play on what appears to be the one block of properties being constructed at present - located immediately to west of Colombo Square block

From footbridge over Askew Rd looking north east

Looking north

To west of block under construction

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; October 26th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM   #13
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards , Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 22/04/12

Further to my last posting on this project (#3 617 on 17/03/12 = former Gateshead Developments post #617 on 17/03/12) I append a few pictures ( hosted on Photobucket) taken 22/04/12 approx 1315 showing state of play on what appears to be the one block of properties being constructed at present - located immediately to west of Colombo Square block

Since last photos all protective sheeting removed and scaffold in process of being removed - exposing colour scheme of block

Seems to be nothing happening further west of this block - not sure if waiting to see if market for sales picks up before commencing next block

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; October 26th, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #14
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards , Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 04/08/12

Further to my last posting on this project (# 4 on 22/04/12 & former Gateshead Developments post # 633 on 22/04/12) I append a few pictures ( hosted on Photobucket) taken 04/08/12 approx 1045 showing state of play on the one block of properties being constructed and nearing completion - located immediately to west of Colombo Square block and now known to be called Marmion Court

Seems that after this block and external works & planting area west of it are completed the site is to be temporarily closed down - assume due to current housing market.

This board alongside marketing office shows current status sales within the block

Unable to find anywhere a site plan of the whole development to show extent of work "put on hold"

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; October 26th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards , Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 15/02/13

Further to my last posting on this project (# 5 on 04/08/12 = former Gateshead Developments post #723 on 04/08/12) http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...980936&page=37) I append a few pictures (hosted on Photobucket) taken 15/02/13 approx 1030 showing state of play on this development that seems to have recommenced, probably due to almost 100% sales of last completed block as shown on this board

Machines doing site clearance for remaining blocks at west end of site area following completion of piling work with their equipment being removed offsite

Last of 3 Owen Pugh wagons in a convoy arriving to remove material

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; October 26th, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM   #16
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards , Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 21/03/13

Further to my last posting on this project (#6 on 15/02/13 & former Gateshead Developments post #919 on 15/02/13) I append a few pictures (hosted on Photobucket) taken 21/03/13 approx 1215 and 1730, taken through the few vantage points (gate opening, narrow vertical gaps between plywood hoarding panels and one location of mesh fencing) showing progress on this development that seems now to involve foundations and work to what assume to be central core/stair area of the block

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; October 26th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards , Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 06/04/13

Further to my last posting on this project #7 on 22/03/13 (former Gateshead Developments post #983 on 22/03/13)

I append a few pictures (hosted on Photobucket) taken 01/04 and Saturday 06/04/13 approx 1145, taken from point near St Cuthberts Court, Windmill Hills over fences and through the few vantage points (gate opening, narrow vertical gaps between plywood hoarding panels and one location of mesh fencing) showing progress on this development that seems now to involve foundations, work to what assume to be central core/stair areas of the block and in last few days erection of first elements of steel structure

01/04/13

06/04/13

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; October 26th, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #18
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards, Bellway private housing development, Gateshead - ongoing work as at 08/04/13

Further to my last posting on this project, # 8 on 07/04/13 (former Gateshead Developments post #1008 on 07/0413)

I append a few pictures (hosted on Photobucket) taken Tuesday 09/04/13 approx 1215, taken from point near St Cuthberts Court, Windmill Hills, using larger than my normal zoom lens, showing progress on this development including continued steel erection

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; October 26th, 2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #19
cranfan

Likes (Received): 38

Geez, how deep does the metro run under the ground floor there? Hope the insulation is good.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #20
Ken O'Heed

Ochre Yards Development - location of metro tunnel to blocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfan View Post
Geez, how deep does the metro run under the ground floor there? Hope the insulation is good.
Not under the building

There is "paved" area inc car parking bays between the block currently under construction and that to the east ( that being built in this screen print of Google Map image showing state of work some time back - image hosted on Photobucket)

But as you say "Very Close"

KEN

Tags
construction, constructions, development, developments, england, gateshead, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects, umited kingdom