search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 14th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #701
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 170

With regards to the waterfall it would look great from any new hotel built at Paradise Circus and an impressive entrance to the city centre for many. It looks grand and fitting for the building. Interesting that the majority of the proposals include water by the hall of memory, I wonder if this has been suggested or just coincidence. I quite like the water jets in the middle of the square as well, a good focal point. I particularly like the paving and how the square interacts with Arena Central, if it turns out like that then we will have a great public space.
Mercurius no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #702
CL81

Likes (Received): 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
is there an opportunity to vote on such things?
Once the shortlist is picked the architects get a little longer to work on their designs and there will be a public consultation apparently.

http://www.ribacompetitions.com/centenarysquare/
CL81 no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #703
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilbert53 View Post
All these proposals for Centenary Square that have been posted.

What is the time scale for doing this, is it when Paradise and Arena Central and the tram lines have been finished.

If so we could be talking about 2025 or later.

Has any timescale been discussed?
This is independant of Paradise.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #704
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 370

if they go with the water jest i wonder if they could make it musical like that in the bealggio in vegas?
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #705
Urbanicity

Likes (Received): 123

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...stable-8445016

Birmingham is named one of Europe's most investable cities in 2015, beating most European capitals - including London.

Quote:
The Emerging Trends in Real Estate Top 25

1. Berlin

2. Dublin

3. Madrid

4. Hamburg

5. Athens

6. Birmingham

7. Copenhagen

8. Amsterdam

9. Lisbon

10. London
Urbanicity no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #706
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 1589

Will Victoria square be getting new paving along with Chamberlain and Centenary squares, given they're repaving the streets anyway. It could do with being bought up to date.

Typhoon2000 liked this post
BlackCountryAl no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #707
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
Will Victoria square be getting new paving along with Chamberlain and Centenary squares, given they're repaving the streets anyway. It could do with being bought up to date.
There's no money for it -or in it for that matter. As part of Library phase 2 the crash saw to it that it got cancelled indefinitely.

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #708
nigeman

Likes (Received): 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
There's no money for it -or in it for that matter. As part of Library phase 2 the crash saw to it that it got cancelled indefinitely.

Doesn't bode well for the future with any council funded area of the city. There are already tarmac repair patches on some of our main block paved streets and squares, add to that the main city fountain doesn't work....creates a real WOW(NOT) factor for visitors.
Between the Council themselves and Whitehall they've really messed up big time in the core running of the city.
Not sure what the solution is, but it undoubtedly is too big to manage itself!
nigeman no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #709
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2630

We need a borough council with 7 or 9 boroughs. I would use the Parliamentary constituencies: Edgbaston, Erdington, Hall Green, Hodge Hill, Ladywood, Northfield, Perry Barr, Selly Oak and Yardley.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #710
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

Doesn't bode well for the future with any council funded area of the city. There are already tarmac repair patches on some of our main block paved streets and squares, add to that the main city fountain doesn't work....creates a real WOW(NOT) factor for visitors.
Between the Council themselves and Whitehall they've really messed up big time in the core running of the city.
Not sure what the solution is, but it undoubtedly is too big to manage itself!
There's supposed to be funding for some kind of 'repaving' scheme once the Tram and Energy works are completed. I'm hoping this is the reason they're not repairing the current paving properly/promptly.

That said, BCC are not hot at maintaining our streets. Walking around the City Centre some of the pavements are all over the place. Very disappointing.
LocalVernacular no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #711
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 272

Good to see those plans for Centenary Square.

I like different bits of all of them:

1. I like the idea of splitting it into sections but I think that clustering the trees in the middle could split the space in half and get in the way of long views across it
2. I like the grass tram tracks
3. The waterfall is interesting but not sure where those people on the footpath are going to go, or how they got there. Think the waterfall is mainly to make the render pretty but most people wouldn't get to see it.
4. Reflecting pool aroudn the memorial looks popular
5. Putting the sunken libabry hole in a hard surface setting is a good idea and they've all done it.
6. Should there be a hard surface space or a woodlands in front of the concert hall? Which frontages would provide the most activity to populate the hard surface space? I'd guess the library and arena central - so I think the woodlands is better at the end and the hard surface is best outside of the library. What do you think?
7. I actually quite like the sprinkled silver birches plan - I'd like to see more from the plans that don't show an aerial view.
8. The thing I like best about the one with GIANT flowers, is the single, very nice surface material. I think the other ones use too many materials which always seems a mess when you walk across spaces like that.
9. None of them have anticipated all the health and safety junk, and street furniture that will inevitably need to be added - railing down steps, bins etc...

feltip liked this post
steppenwolf no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #712
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
We need a borough council with 7 or 9 boroughs. I would use the Parliamentary constituencies: Edgbaston, Erdington, Hall Green, Hodge Hill, Ladywood, Northfield, Perry Barr, Selly Oak and Yardley.
The relative levels of deprivation won't work in those Boroughs... Edgbaston with it's University compared to Ladywood which has one of the highest levels of deprivation. The mix would probably be both of them together.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #713
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
The relative levels of deprivation won't work in those Boroughs... Edgbaston with it's University compared to Ladywood which has one of the highest levels of deprivation. The mix would probably be both of them together.
Edgbaston is a huge area with some seriously deprived inner-city areas too, while Ladywood technically contains a lot of the smarter ends of the city centre.
Old January 15th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #714
djay
The promised land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
Edgbaston is a huge area with some seriously deprived inner-city areas too, while Ladywood technically contains a lot of the smarter ends of the city centre.
Not in terms of constituency it's not.

Wards in Edgbaston with an average house price Edgbaston £242,994

Bartley Green house price average£104,592
Edgbaston
Harborne house price average £212,890
Quinton house price average £160,150

Wards in Ladywood with an average house price of £142,963

Aston house price average £97,652
Ladywood
Nechells house price average £81,189
Soho house price average £74,752

Now i know house prices aren't the only measure of deprivation but there is a clear gulf. We can go into School results if you like, average earnings? mortality? you pick. Better still http://opendatacommunities.org/showcase/deprivation

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #715
sefton66

Likes (Received): 3564

Looks like the alpha retail units are going to be replaced with a coffee shop connected to a revamp reception

Basement to be turned from storage to bike spaces and changing/shower facilities

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/N...rod_DC_PLANAPP

LocalVernacular liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #716
lbrown

Likes (Received): 64

I liked the original Centenary Square in the 1990s, i like the podium with the Forward statue on and i think we lost a lot when we lost that. The hole in the ground next to the library hasn't really worked and should be covered over to recreate the 90s Centenary Square.

lbrown no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #717
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
This is independant of Paradise.
But all the drawings show the trams in place, and Paradise and Arena Central completed.

And the great thing is Centenary Square "unifies" them all.

It would be faintly silly to make these major changes to Centenary Square, and then have them "messed up" with the development of Paradise, Arena Central and the trams being put in place.
Guilbert53 no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #718
Guilbert53

Likes (Received): 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown View Post
I liked the original Centenary Square in the 1990s, i like the podium with the Forward statue on and i think we lost a lot when we lost that.
I HATED that statue, it looked cheap and amateurish.

And I hated the fact the guys vertical arm was so obviously the wrong size. If he had put it down by his side his knuckles would have dragged on the floor

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/9/14686932_bc684b8b26.jpg

And I don't normally condone vandalism, but I was so pleased when that person set fire to it and destroyed.

Typhoon2000 liked this post

Last edited by Guilbert53; January 16th, 2015 at 09:44 AM.
Guilbert53 no está en línea  
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #719
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
I HATED that statue, it looked cheap and amateurish.

And I hated the fact the guys vertical arm was so obviously the wrong size. If he had put it down by his side his knuckles would have dragged on the floor

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/9/14686932_bc684b8b26.jpg

And I don't normally condone vandalism, but I was so pleased when that person set fire to it and destroyed.
...how do you set fire to a statue?
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #720
djay
The promised land

Quote:
But all the drawings show the trams in place, and Paradise and Arena Central completed.

And the great thing is Centenary Square "unifies" them all.

It would be faintly silly to make these major changes to Centenary Square, and then have them "messed up" with the development of Paradise, Arena Central and the trams being put in place.
They all show it because they are approved developments due to come forward.

If they do it and then have to rip parts up for the respective developments it will have been costed. I agree it is not the best use of money but i can't see them waiting 10-20 years to repave the square in anticipation of two sights which might be delayed in their own right.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea  

Closed Thread