daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #41
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
This looks to be an excellent proposal and needs to be approved asap. Importantly it has interaction at street level, which Stephenson MSCP and the West1 tower completely fail to provide.
What saddens me is that Newcastle used to have great local architects, but SQ and this were completed by architects elsewhere and are generally good while that cr*p at the bottom of Forth banks and hanover square were by locals.

It seems that any good quality newcastle based practices have to fight it out on a national stage for high profile work around the UK, whereas local development is chucked around by the smaller practices that sometimes don't seem to know that they are doing.

Back to the subject, I really hope this development can kick start a greater regeneration of all land West of forth banks and Calders yard. I can see a mixed use overall urban development dynamically related to the bridges above and topography at its base. This could then slowly transgress to townhouses and family streets all providing opportunities for people to live pleasantly near the city centre so we may have to dig up the countryside to built godawful antisocial pantomime of the past suburban houses a little less.

Pottery lane and the stepped link could create a spine for the development, perpendicular to other accesses back up to the city. It would be really nice if we could have a head to this spine at SQ with a metro station at the end of the QE 2 bridge. Although it is close to central, so what? The point is if it will actually get some footfall, which it would. It would also allow the future developments to be more urban by reducing the need to provide space killing and profit gobbling car parking.

I think I may be getting ahead if myself here

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; March 14th, 2015 at 03:42 PM.
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #42
elliott

Likes (Received): 189

I've always thought a station here would be great, just simple stairs and basic platform (no frills) from the upper car park level.

http://binged.it/1LaFFSD
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #43
Stamford

Likes (Received): 683

A couple of pics of the site, as it "stood" on 6th March 2015

DSCN6601 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN6600 by stamford0001, on Flickr

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #44
novonew47

Likes (Received): 183

a metro station at the end of Q E bridge with in the S Q is an excellent idea and there would be room for stations platforms as Stamford's photo DSCN 6602 on the S Q proves. a metro station could prove to be a huge driver for further developments along the western quayside. the lack of parking space on this development (only 4 disabled bays provided) for 280 apartments could prove to be a thorny issue for buyers of these apartments. cheers
novonew47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #45
Stamford

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by novonew47 View Post
a metro station at the end of Q E bridge with in the S Q is an excellent idea and there would be room for stations platforms as Stamford's photo DSCN 6602 on the S Q proves. a metro station could prove to be a huge driver for further developments along the western quayside. the lack of parking space on this development (only 4 disabled bays provided) for 280 apartments could prove to be a thorny issue for buyers of these apartments. cheers
This picture

DSCN6603 by stamford0001, on Flickr

My Photostream on Flikr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

novonew47 liked this post
Stamford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #46
No Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
This picture

DSCN6603 by stamford0001, on Flickr
A station here could potentially serve not just SQ, forth banks but also serve the quayside and any further development towards Calders yard.

Would it not be fantastic to propose a bridge across forth banks in front of the SQ car park and office building across to the new forth banks site? Coincidentally the forth banks scheme of this thread has allowed a space between the buildings where a high level bridge could project into, above the hertz property.

Imagine a contemporary bridge sailing over forth bank road, like dene street arch, giving and new western development a link to the metro, which cannot be underestimated as newcastle in having a light rail system unlike many others has a great trump card to boost investment and perhaps suggest the city could be much bigger and dense to serve the overpopulation of the south east of our country
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #47
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2428

The properties on Pottery Lane, pictures 17/03/15

These pictures taken by myself on Tuesday 17/03/15 approx 1200 showing the properties on Pottery Lane at that time

First a scanned copy of Google Maps image showing the area to the west of Forth Banks

17/03/15

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Ken O'Heed está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #48
Superunknown90
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Urgh..that area looks awful especially when compared to the developing Stephenson quarter. Would be nice to see it all developed. Not student flats please...
Superunknown90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #49
Pleaty

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Opinion View Post
What saddens me is that Newcastle used to have great local architects, but SQ and this were completed by architects elsewhere and are generally good while that cr*p at the bottom of Forth banks and hanover square were by locals.
Newcastle does have some good local Architects, as well as some not so good ones,the problem with large developments is that the developers and contractors are all large national firms who either have a relationship with large practices located elsewhere in the country or put the design work out to tender and invite a number of practices from all over the place to submit bids. The local firms end up working with the sites owned by the local clients or having to bid for work elsewhere, the majority of architects now have to work outside the region to gain work.
Pleaty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #50
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Newcastle has some great architecture practices. I reckon it punches above it's weight on that front. As I'm sure you know, poor design/quality is often down to a poor client (sometimes employing a poorer design team as they're cheaper).

Either way, I like the look of the proposal, although I hope the infill sections between the brick isn't cheap coloured/painted render. And time will tell what the ground floor use will be as I can't imagine a large and busy restaurant working there (but I'll be over the moon if it does).
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #51
No Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Newcastle has some great architecture practices. I reckon it punches above it's weight on that front. As I'm sure you know, poor design/quality is often down to a poor client (sometimes employing a poorer design team as they're cheaper).
I am only too aware!

However, sometimes, you cannot help but blame the architect for just being poo.

I know the developer for Forth Tower and Bonded Warehouses was financially cruel and so the Architect was probably tied (I blame the planners for letting such uninspiring design through) so, admonished there!

However, take Newgate Street. I cannot believe all those horrendous finishes and colours were insisted upon by the client, ditto for Tyne Tees site, Hanover Square etc.

Architects are like any other profession, they are both good and bad. But ultimately the blame is on NCC for being unnecessarily harsh (on any previous tall building proposal) and then incredibly lenient.

My practice was joking the other day that Planners are like Premiership referees. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are shocking. We can live with that, but whats most important is some blooming consistency!

elliott liked this post
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #52
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post

Either way, I like the look of the proposal, although I hope the infill sections between the brick isn't cheap coloured/painted render. And time will tell what the ground floor use will be as I can't imagine a large and busy restaurant working there (but I'll be over the moon if it does).
Who knows, there is already two 'destination' restaurants on Forth Banks - Sachins & Mantra.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #53
elliott

Likes (Received): 189

With the Police Station, SQ and the proposed apartments, plus around the Centre for Life etc., could be a great location for an Italian, French or Modern British restaurant to compliment Sachin's (Indian) and Mantra (Thai) as Johnny says.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #54
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
I am only too aware!

However, sometimes, you cannot help but blame the architect for just being poo.

I know the developer for Forth Tower and Bonded Warehouses was financially cruel and so the Architect was probably tied (I blame the planners for letting such uninspiring design through) so, admonished there!

However, take Newgate Street. I cannot believe all those horrendous finishes and colours were insisted upon by the client, ditto for Tyne Tees site, Hanover Square etc.

Architects are like any other profession, they are both good and bad. But ultimately the blame is on NCC for being unnecessarily harsh (on any previous tall building proposal) and then incredibly lenient.

My practice was joking the other day that Planners are like Premiership referees. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they are shocking. We can live with that, but whats most important is some blooming consistency!
Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from. Some architecture firms can be thoroughly lazy. Saying that I'm sometimes not convinced that actual architects have designed some of these schemes.

As for planners being inconsistent... You could write a whole library on that subject.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 07:41 PM   #55
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3991

The planning application is being discussed at the Planning Committee Meeting of 7th August 2015 with a recommendation of a grant from the City Officers, subject to a £600,000 S106 Agreement.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:00 PM   #56
No Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
The planning application is being discussed at the Planning Committee Meeting of 7th August 2015 with a recommendation of a grant from the City Officers, subject to a £600,000 S106 Agreement.
Planning application for?
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:45 PM   #57
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Planning application for?
Ahem, the answer to that is within ths thread - this is a thread for a specific development

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 2nd, 2015, 02:16 AM   #58
No Opinion

Quote:
Ahem, the answer to that is within ths thread - this is a thread for a specific development
Profuse apologies! I only skim read this!

Good news then, finally some residential NOT student accommodation in the city centre

Bring on phase 2 of SQ!
Old August 5th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #59
Steve Ellwood

Huge Newcastle scheme set for approval

From today's Insider Media Limited @ http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...wcastle-scheme
By Matthew Ord 5th August 2015

Plans to build one seven-storey and two nine-storey properties comprising a total of 280 apartments just outside Newcastle city centre look set to be approved. Newcastle City Council has been recommended to grant planning permission and will meet on 7 August to decide.

The 50,000 sq ft brownfield site, which is located near the Stephenson Quarter and recently refurbished Railway Warehouse, would also include a retail unit on the ground floor of one of the blocks.

The scheme proposed by Panacea Property Development (Newcastle) comprises three apartment blocks. Block one contains 111 apartments, block two would house 114 apartments, and block three 55 apartments. The proposal seeks to create a "modern and well considered residential development" with a mix of apartment types that responds to the character of the surrounding area. There would be 75 one-bed apartments, 178 two-bed apartments and 27 three-bed apartments, which equates to 27 per cent, 63 per cent and 10 per cent of the total number of apartments respectively.

The retail unit would be located within the ground floor of block one spread over 3,000 sq ft. The end use of the space has not yet been confirmed by the applicant, but it is likely to be a small convenience store, restaurant or coffee shop.

In a planning statement submitted by Zerum on behalf of Panacea, the applicant said: "The proposal will replace an underutilised brownfield site with a high quality residential scheme, which is supported by some ancillary retail floor space. The application site is in a highly sustainable location close to Newcastle city centre and a wide range of services. The site is entirely suitable and appropriate for the proposed scheme and there are no physical, landscape or other constraints to development."

Read more @ http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...wcastle-scheme

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #60
thenorthumbrian
The Northumbrian

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
From today's Insider Media Limited @ http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...wcastle-scheme
By Matthew Ord 5th August 2015

Plans to build one seven-storey and two nine-storey properties comprising a total of 280 apartments just outside Newcastle city centre look set to be approved. Newcastle City Council has been recommended to grant planning permission and will meet on 7 August to decide.

The 50,000 sq ft brownfield site, which is located near the Stephenson Quarter and recently refurbished Railway Warehouse, would also include a retail unit on the ground floor of one of the blocks.

The scheme proposed by Panacea Property Development (Newcastle) comprises three apartment blocks. Block one contains 111 apartments, block two would house 114 apartments, and block three 55 apartments. The proposal seeks to create a "modern and well considered residential development" with a mix of apartment types that responds to the character of the surrounding area. There would be 75 one-bed apartments, 178 two-bed apartments and 27 three-bed apartments, which equates to 27 per cent, 63 per cent and 10 per cent of the total number of apartments respectively.

The retail unit would be located within the ground floor of block one spread over 3,000 sq ft. The end use of the space has not yet been confirmed by the applicant, but it is likely to be a small convenience store, restaurant or coffee shop.

In a planning statement submitted by Zerum on behalf of Panacea, the applicant said: "The proposal will replace an underutilised brownfield site with a high quality residential scheme, which is supported by some ancillary retail floor space. The application site is in a highly sustainable location close to Newcastle city centre and a wide range of services. The site is entirely suitable and appropriate for the proposed scheme and there are no physical, landscape or other constraints to development."

Read more @ http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/...wcastle-scheme
Looks nice and no mention of the word student.

GBDT, No Opinion liked this post
thenorthumbrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, development, developments, england, forth banks, newcastle, pottery lane, project, project - newcastle area, projects, united kingdom