search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1547

The Woolsington and Dinnington Areas of Newcastle - Developments

This thread is for the discussion of issues relating to the two areas of Newcastle shown in the below MAP.

The Woolsington and Dinnington areas of Newcastle, effectively those areas 'surrounding' Newcastle Airport . . .

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 20th, 2016 at 10:05 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Gosforth52

Likes (Received): 0

I am trying to get hold of information on the treatment of mine workings associated with the construction of Woolsington Bypass in Newcastle.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 20th, 2016 at 10:06 PM.
Gosforth52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosforth52 View Post
i am trying to get hold of information on the treatment of mine workings associated with the construction of Woolsington Bypass in Newcastle. Can anyone help?

I am aware that you have seen the "Building the Newcastle Western Bypass" thread, on this Forum, that I recently compiled.

Towards the end of that thread, the papers that I was using (supplied by The Highways Agency) contained information, also, about the 'Newcastle Woolsington Bypass', as it was being built at (partly) the same time as the 'Newcastle Western Bypass'.

I have further examined my papers (in addition to those I used in the Thread) but I do not have any information about the treatment of any mineworkings during the building of either bypass.

I can only suggest that you contact The Highways Agency, who are likely to have all the historical information about all aspects of the Woolsington Bypass project . . . somewhere in their archives!
Old August 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
I am aware that you have seen the "Building the Newcastle Western Bypass" thread, on this Forum, that I recently compiled.

Towards the end of that thread, the papers that I was using (supplied by The Highways Agency) contained information, also, about the 'Newcastle Woolsington Bypass', as it was being built at (partly) the same time as the 'Newcastle Western Bypass'.

I have further examined my papers (in addition to those I used in the Thread) but I do not have any information about the treatment of any mineworkings during the building of either bypass.

I can only suggest that you contact The Highways Agency, who are likely to have all the historical information about all aspects of the Woolsington Bypass project . . . somewhere in their archives!

One other source could be the Coal Mining Records @ http://coal.decc.gov.uk/en/coal/cms/...s/records.aspx The Coal Authority (Department of Energy & Climate Change).

Certainly there were a number of mines in the Callerton area and these could have mined seams that are close to the Woolsington bypass.

Might be worthwhile digging around on the Durham Mining Museum site @ http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/c012.htm to see if you can mine any data.

Plenty of mines in that area, for instance Prestwick Colliery and the Havannah Drift (Hazlerigg) which replaced both the Dinnington and Hazelrigg Pits.

When we were kids, living in Westerhope, we would often walk across to the Airport and pass the drift mine that was still working at Black Callerton during the 1960's.

There was also a shaft mine at Black Callerton - Dolly Pit in which George Stephenson worked as a Brakesman in 1801.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #5
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Woodlands to be 'paved over' for a new bypass in Newcastle
by Adrian Pearson, Evening Chronicle, February 5th 2013

WOODLANDS in Newcastle are set to be paved over to make way for a new city bypass, secret council emails have revealed. Campaigners say they are horrified to discover plans made in secret for a dual carriageway in Newcastle’s outer west and north, include the green light to chop down woodland north of Woolsington Hall. City planners say they have downgraded, but not abandoned, the plans for a road linking the A69, the A696 and the A1 near Newcastle Great Park, with some Ł30m needed for the new route.

Jill Burrell is spokeswoman for the Cities4People group, which brings together several organisations fighting plans for more than 20,000 new homes across the city and its surrounding countryside. She said: “We got these emails and could see clearly straight away that they have known about this for years and not told anyone. It is outrageous that they want to go through this woodland.

Ms Burrell’s concern came when an email was released through the Freedom of Information Act in which planners said they needed “confirmation that the woodland north of Woolsington Hall can be completely removed i.e. tree preservation orders are to be ignored.” This confirmation was given by senior council planners who said that “outside the boundary of Woolsington Hall, we are flexible about trees”.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz2K1yThuiU

NB - This proposed new road has already been discussed on the forum, back in September last year . . .

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 162

Woolsington Hall is up for sale on Rightmove for Ł2 million.
Sir John Hall selling up.
Who was the original owner?

Newcastle Council Rents up by an average of 5.1% for NCC and Byker Trust properties and 3.3% for Leazes Homes (new build).
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Originally built for the Bell family and their coat of arms still adorns the building.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Steve Ellwood

Restaurant review: The White Swan Inn, Prestwick Road, Dinnington

From yesterday's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats...an-inn-6071532

Restaurant review: The White Swan Inn, Prestwick Road, Dinnington
By Gordon Barr - 20th September 2013

It had been many, many years since I had last paid a visit to The White Swan Inn in Dinnington.

More than a decade in fact, and the last time I was there was for the purposes of this page.

Quite why I hadn’t been back escapes me. I think we’d planned it a few times but never actually got round to it.

The fact it is only several miles from where I live makes that even more remarkable – especially after the meal we both enjoyed here.

It was mid-week and neither of us could be bothered cooking so hopped in the new car – bought just that day – to give it a bit of a run. It WAS a `bit’ of a run, as, as I’ve mentioned, The White Swan is actually quite close by.

Nevertheless we chose here as time was against us and our tummies were rumbling.

I had fond – though distant –memories of here and was hoping they would be rekindled. They were...and then some.

While the dining area may lack a little in ambience and decor, it is more than made up for by the variety on the menu and the quality of the food served up.

There is even a full-on gluten-free menu – an idea more restauarants and bars should take up......

We found room for desserts, but thought both the Sweet Belgian Waffles (Ł4.75) and Fruits of the Forest Pavlova (Ł3.95) a tad bland and the only disappointing aspect to the meal.

That won’t deter us from returning, though, and we can’t wait to try more of the main courses. We won’t leave it so long next time.

Read more @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats...an-inn-6071532

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:24 PM   #9
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 895

Not sure of the best place for this but the 28days later team have been digging around Woolsington Hall.

Quote:
Woolsington Hall was the seat of the Bell family, landowners in Dinnington. In 1828 Matthew Bell, MP for Northumberland and Deputy Lieutenant of Northumberland was listed as living at the hall.[3] All four battalions of the 103rd (Tyneside Irish) Brigade camped briefly at Woolsington Hall in May 1915. Conditions were bad at Woolsington Hall that many soldiers who lived locally went home rather than stay there.[4] The brigade trained in trench fighting at nearby Ponteland, and paraded through Newcastle city centre before departing from Woolsington for Salisbury Plain.[5]
Woolsington Hall was bought by businessman Sir John Hall's Cameron Hall Developments for Ł1.32 million in 1994. Since 1994 Hall has proposed several developments of the Woolsington site including a football academy for Newcastle United, which was later built in Little Benton. A luxury hotel and golf course was later planned for the Woolsington Hall estate.[2] Hall was threatened with legal action by Newcastle City Council in 2005 unless he carried out repairs to Woolsington Hall.[2]
The hall was put up for sale for Ł2 million in October 2012, but withdrawn from sale in May 2013. Due to the dereliction of the hall, it has been described by the Daily Telegraph as a "distressed asset".[6] In 2013 the councillor for the Woolsington ward, George Pattison, said that “It is a complete waste for it to be standing empty. It is a beautiful building and has a lot of historical significance...If it could be restored to something of the calibre of the Mansion House in Jesmond then it would be a great asset to the ward.”[2] The house was made weather tight in 2008.[7]
Since 2002 the Woolington Hall estate has been on English Heritage's Heritage at Risk register.[2] The register said that the hall "...is vacant and showing signs of roof failure."[7] It is rated Category C by the register, defined as "Slow decay, no solution agreed".[7]
The Leaze Gates, a set of two tonne monumental gates from Newcastle United F.C.'s St. James Park stadium, were stored in the grounds of Woolsington Hall until their restoration in August 2013. It had been hoped that they would form the entrance to a new football training centre at the hall.[8]
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...ec-2013-a.html

newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Steve Ellwood

Brenkley Lane Surface Mine

14/00594/ADJLPA | Extraction of additional 500,000 tonnes of coal from area adjacent to the south eastern boundary of the existing Brenkley Lane Surface Mine including revised phased working method of eastern half of Brenkley Lane Surface Mine, construction of overburden mound, provision of ecological mitigation including the creation of additional ponds to the east of the extraction area and restoration strategy | Land To The South East Of The Brenkley Lane Surface Mine Brenkley Newcastle Upon Tyne

Reference 14/00594/ADJLPA
Alternative Reference 2013/1323/01/DET
Application Received Wed 09 Apr 2014
Address Land To The South East Of The Brenkley Lane Surface Mine Brenkley Newcastle Upon Tyne
Proposal Extraction of additional 500,000 tonnes of coal from area adjacent to the south eastern boundary of the existing Brenkley Lane Surface Mine including revised phased working method of eastern half of Brenkley Lane Surface Mine, construction of overburden mound, provision of ecological mitigation including the creation of additional ponds to the east of the extraction area and restoration strategy
Status Pending Consideration
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=N3SYZMBH09700

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Steve Ellwood

Plans unveiled to turn historic Woolsington Hall into Newcastle's first five-star hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post

Newcastle Council Rents up by an average of 5.1% for NCC and Byker Trust properties and 3.3% for Leazes Homes (new build).
From today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...ington-7062365

Plans unveiled to turn historic Woolsington Hall into Newcastle's first five-star hotel
May 02, 2014 06:3 By Sarah Scott

Plans have been announced to transform a derelict country hall owned by businessman Sir John Hall into Newcastle’s first five-star hotel.

Bosses at Cameron Hall Developments hope to turn Woolsington Hall, on the outskirts of Newcastle, into a luxury hotel complete with golf course, restaurant, spa and cookery school. The impressive Grade II* listed hall has been left derelict for decades, falling onto the English Heritage “At Risk Register” in 2000. But it is hoped the latest proposals for the grounds would see the 17th Century hall, purchased by Cameron Hall Developments in 1994, brought back to life and finally taken off the register for good.

The plans for the 34-bedroom boutique hotel and leisure complex, which will be submitted to Newcastle City Council this summer, will be funded through the construction of 70 detached executive homes on land to the south of the historic parkland.

Cameron Hall Developments’ chief executive Paul Mackings said: “Newcastle is one of the few major cities in the UK which lacks a five-star hotel which this development will provide. The building’s historic assets will be sensitively refurbished to provide a superb backdrop for this 34-bedroom ‘boutique’ hotel, with each of the suites uniquely different. In addition, as part of the hotel, the development will include the construction of a restaurant within the former stables, a spa complex within the former farm buildings, a walled garden marquee for events, weddings and receptions and a cookery school within the walled garden cottage. The leisure complex will be completed by the construction of a sensitively detailed 18-hole golf course.”

Plans were unveiled to residents in the area yesterday at a consultation exhibition in Kingston Park.

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...ington-7062365

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:42 AM   #12
Steve Ellwood

From today's Journal Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...ington-7062365

Plans have been announced to transform a derelict country hall owned by businessman Sir John Hall into Newcastle’s first five-star hotel.

Bosses at Cameron Hall Developments hope to turn Woolsington Hall, on the outskirts of Newcastle, into a luxury hotel complete with golf course, restaurant, spa and cookery school. The impressive Grade II* listed hall has been left derelict for decades, falling onto the English Heritage “At Risk Register” in 2000. But it is hoped the latest proposals for the grounds would see the 17th Century hall, purchased by Cameron Hall Developments in 1994, brought back to life and finally taken off the register for good.

The plans for the 34-bedroom boutique hotel and leisure complex, which will be submitted to Newcastle City Council this summer, will be funded through the construction of 70 detached executive homes on land to the south of the historic parkland.

Cameron Hall Developments’ chief executive Paul Mackings said: “Newcastle is one of the few major cities in the UK which lacks a five-star hotel which this development will provide. The building’s historic assets will be sensitively refurbished to provide a superb backdrop for this 34-bedroom ‘boutique’ hotel, with each of the suites uniquely different. In addition, as part of the hotel, the development will include the construction of a restaurant within the former stables, a spa complex within the former farm buildings, a walled garden marquee for events, weddings and receptions and a cookery school within the walled garden cottage. The leisure complex will be completed by the construction of a sensitively detailed 18-hole golf course.”

Plans were unveiled to residents in the area yesterday at a consultation exhibition in Kingston Park.

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...ington-7062365

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:33 PM   #13
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post

Thats great news, the city lacks real quality hotels. I would prefer it to have been more of a city centre location but it's a start.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 03:39 PM   #14
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Thats great news, the city lacks real quality hotels. I would prefer it to have been more of a city centre location but it's a start.
Hope they have plans for some high quality sound proofing, given the proximity of Newcastle Airport.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #15
Steve Ellwood

Quote:

14/00180/SCO | Request for Scoping Opinion: Redevelopment: Boutique hotel, restaurant, function suite, spa complex, 18 hole golf course with clubhouse, lodges and potential enabling development. | Woolsington Hall Woolsington Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 8DQ

Reference 14/00180/SCO
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Wed 26 Mar 2014
Application Validated Tue 06 May 2014
Address Woolsington Hall Woolsington Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 8DQ
Proposal Request for Scoping Opinion: Redevelopment: Boutique hotel, restaurant, function suite, spa complex, 18 hole golf course with clubhouse, lodges and potential enabling development.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=N31M1IBS00C00

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #16
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Plans to turn Woolsington Hall into a 'boutique hotel' and spa: https://publicaccessapplications.new...ION-571234.pdf
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #17
Steve Ellwood

Villagers back plans for Dinnington coal mine expansion

Quote:
14/00594/ADJLPA | Extraction of additional 500,000 tonnes of coal from area adjacent to the south eastern boundary of the existing Brenkley Lane Surface Mine including revised phased working method of eastern half of Brenkley Lane Surface Mine, construction of overburden mound, provision of ecological mitigation including the creation of additional ponds to the east of the extraction area and restoration strategy | Land To The South East Of The Brenkley Lane Surface Mine Brenkley Newcastle Upon Tyne

Reference 14/00594/ADJLPA
Alternative Reference 2013/1323/01/DET
Application Received Wed 09 Apr 2014
Address Land To The South East Of The Brenkley Lane Surface Mine Brenkley Newcastle Upon Tyne
Proposal Extraction of additional 500,000 tonnes of coal from area adjacent to the south eastern boundary of the existing Brenkley Lane Surface Mine including revised phased working method of eastern half of Brenkley Lane Surface Mine, construction of overburden mound, provision of ecological mitigation including the creation of additional ponds to the east of the extraction area and restoration strategy
Status Pending Consideration
http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=N3SYZMBH09700
From today's Journal Live. copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...n-coal-7112208

Villagers back plans for Dinnington coal mine expansion
May 13, 2014 13:23 By Alex Finnis

Banks mining apprentices at work

Villagers are backing a plan to extract 500,000 tonnes of coal from beneath fields on the outskirts of Newcastle which looks set to get the go-ahead.

Banks Mining applied to extend its Brenkley Lane surface mine, west of the A1 and north of Dinnington, and the 14-hectare expansion could support an extra 210 jobs in the North East.

Officers at Newcastle City Council have recommended that planners give the scheme the green light after receiving 35 letters of support for the plan. A decision by Northumberland County Council on the planning application is expected in the coming months.

Mark Dowdall, Banks’ environment and community director, said: “The additional work we’re looking to undertake at our Brenkley Lane site will help provide both continuity of employment for the many local people that work on the site and additional revenues that will go towards further significant improvements of local community facilities. Around 40% of the energy that we all use in the UK is produced through coal, and it makes far greater sense from an economic, environmental, employment and energy security point of view to utilise appropriate domestic supplies rather than relying on imports.”

Banks’ Brenkley Lane mine opened in 2010 after the company was given permission to extract 2.3m tonnes of coal in a five-phase scheme lasting 11and a half years. Four years on and phase one has been competed, with phase two under way. The work, along with that undertaken at the nearby Shotton mine, has resulted in the direct employment of 200 staff, adding an estimated Ł35m a year to the region’s economy. The new plans would see the mine expanded by 34.5 acres, with extraction of an extra 500,000 tonnes of coal, 70,000 tonnes of fireclay and 20,000 tonnes of sandstone taking place far closer to Brenkley village itself, but all work completed – and the land restored – within the existing timeframe.

Read more @ http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...n-coal-7112208

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #18
Steve Ellwood

Woolsington Hall

Quote:

Quote:
14/00180/SCO | Request for Scoping Opinion: Redevelopment: Boutique hotel, restaurant, function suite, spa complex, 18 hole golf course with clubhouse, lodges and potential enabling development. | Woolsington Hall Woolsington Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 8DQ

Reference 14/00180/SCO
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Wed 26 Mar 2014
Application Validated Tue 06 May 2014
Proposal Request for Scoping Opinion: Redevelopment: Boutique hotel, restaurant, function suite, spa complex, 18 hole golf course with clubhouse, lodges and potential enabling development.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=N31M1IBS00C00
2014/1925/01/DET | Demolition of courtyard buildings, World War II hospital buildings, stable block extensions, outbuildings, two farmhouses and farm buildings and two dwellings to facilitate the restoration, conversion and extension of Woolsington Hall, Stables, Coach House and Orangery with the erection of one and two storey extensions and outbuildings to form a 32 bed Hotel (Class C1), restaurant (Class A3) and staff accommodation; Erection of spa complex (Class D2) with associated Energy Centre; Conversion and extension of gardeners cottage to form cookery school with ancillary guest accommodation (Sui Generis) and erection of marquee within walled garden and potting sheds for assembly and leisure events (Sui Generis); Erection of 10 woodland lodges (Class C1); formation of 18 hole golf course, grassed playing pitch, and erection of golf club house; and restoration of ornamental lake and Monks Hut all with associated car parking for 238 vehicles and associated landscaping works; Erection of 72 dwellings with ancillary estate road, 10 visitor parking bays, landscaping and substation; and the creation of new vehicular access through existing stone wall onto Ponteland Road. | Woolsington Hall Woolsington Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 8DQ

Reference 2014/1925/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03853958
Application Received Thu 18 Dec 2014
Application Validated Mon 05 Jan 2015
Proposal Demolition of courtyard buildings, World War II hospital buildings, stable block extensions, outbuildings, two farmhouses and farm buildings and two dwellings to facilitate the restoration, conversion and extension of Woolsington Hall, Stables, Coach House and Orangery with the erection of one and two storey extensions and outbuildings to form a 32 bed Hotel (Class C1), restaurant (Class A3) and staff accommodation; Erection of spa complex (Class D2) with associated Energy Centre; Conversion and extension of gardeners cottage to form cookery school with ancillary guest accommodation (Sui Generis) and erection of marquee within walled garden and potting sheds for assembly and leisure events (Sui Generis); Erection of 10 woodland lodges (Class C1); formation of 18 hole golf course, grassed playing pitch, and erection of golf club house; and restoration of ornamental lake and Monks Hut all with associated car parking for 238 vehicles and associated landscaping works; Erection of 72 dwellings with ancillary estate road, 10 visitor parking bays, landscaping and substation; and the creation of new vehicular access through existing stone wall onto Ponteland Road.
Status Registered
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=NGS6ZHBSGTT00

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #19
Steve Ellwood

Land South Of Recreation Ground Main Road, Dinnington

2015/0008/01/DET | Erection of residential development (Phase 1 - north side) comprising 40 houses, 9 bungalows, 2 storey block of 22 flats and 2 storey block of 4 flats (Class C3) with associated car parking, landscaping and boundary treatment | Land South Of Recreation Ground Main Road Dinnington Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2015/0008/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03867099
Application Received Thu 18 Dec 2014
Application Validated Wed 07 Jan 2015
Address Land South Of Recreation Ground Main Road Dinnington Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Erection of residential development (Phase 1 - north side) comprising 40 houses, 9 bungalows, 2 storey block of 22 flats and 2 storey block of 4 flats (Class C3) with associated car parking, landscaping and boundary treatment
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.new...=NGSFIZBSGU300

From the Design & Access Statement:

The site is located to the South of the existing village; and just to the East of ‘Main Road’; with a proposed access from Main Road opposite Havannah Crescent. The surrounding area has a mix of uses; but is predominantly residential and other associated community facilities to the North and West; and agricultural to the South and East. The village also includes a First school, library, convenience store and pubs.

The site is currently vacant agricultural land – and has been allocated for residential redevelopment to meet current housing requirements in Newcastle.

The proposal is to redevelop the site to deliver a quality housing development that will include :-

A 22no unit Independent Living accommodation apartment scheme; consisting of 8no 1 bed apartments,
14no 2 bed apartments with associated staff and communal facilities to include a private shared lounge and quiet room for the use of the residents
5no 5 person bungalows; which incorporates a communal lounge and quiet room as part of a dementia care ‘village’
4no flats for Independent Living
4no bungalows for Independent Living
133 houses for private sale

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 31st, 2015, 10:41 AM   #20
Steve Ellwood

Greenbelt campaigners say Woolsington Hall transformation will set a 'dangerous precedent'

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...n-hall-8550368
Greenbelt campaigners say Woolsington Hall transformation will set a 'dangerous precedent'
16:00, 30 January 2015 By Rachel Wearmouth

Greenbelt campaigners say a five-star hotel planned by Sir John Hall’s business venture is a threat to the countryside.

Cameron Hall Developments wants to transform Woolsington Hall into a luxury hotel complete with golf course, restaurant, spa and cookery school, but campaigners say it will encroach on greenbelt land. The plans include 72 executive homes and 238 parking spaces but the Save Gosforth Wildlife group say if Newcastle City Council gives the plans the go-ahead it will set a “dangerous precedent” for building on greenbelt land.

They say the ambitious development is unnecessary as there are two other hotels close to Newcastle International Airport.

John Urquhart, from the Save Gosforth Wildlife campaign, said: “This involves the destruction of mature woodland to accommodate 72 executive homes and 238 parking spaces; the formation of an eighteen-hole golf course; and the revamping of Woolsington Hall as a luxury ‘boutique’ hotel. “Not only is there a major threat to wildlife, but also this area contains the Ouseburn and five tributaries, and tarmacing over such a large area will inevitably increase flash flooding further downstream in the Gosforth area. If this development goes ahead, it creates a dangerous precedent for an attack on all of Newcastle’s green belt, including the land next to Gosforth Nature Reserve, which we have spent three years fighting to protect.”

But when the plans, which have the backing of Woolsington Parish Council, were submitted chief executive Paul Mackings said: “Newcastle is one of the few major cities in the UK which lacks a five-star hotel which this development will provide.

Read more and see image gallery @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...n-hall-8550368

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, dinnington, newcastle, wolsington