search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

The WEATHER Thread (Climatic Events, Floods, impact of Global Warming, etc) - Newcastle and the North East

Where abouts did the Tyne nearly burst? Further up the valley I'm guessing? Still, it's hardly good news. Presumably it will eventually burst if it's getting close now - we seem to have seen a growth in the amount of spring/autumn flash floods in the past few years.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 25th, 2017 at 09:07 PM.
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerOfTheNorth View Post
Where abouts did the Tyne nearly burst? Further up the valley I'm guessing? Still, it's hardly good news. Presumably it will eventually burst if it's getting close now - we seem to have seen a growth in the amount of spring/autumn flash floods in the past few years.
The Quayside, right in the city centre.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 25th, 2017 at 09:08 PM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:30 PM   #3
AngerOfTheNorth
Architect

Likes (Received): 130

Whoa, that's pretty serious - where did you read that? Was it a spring tide?
AngerOfTheNorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 9

I saw that on the local news last night, it was extremely close to bursting its banks. Only inches from going over onto the paths and roads.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1201

that happened a few years ago, the bit of the quayside next to the swing bridge was flooded, but only by a few inches
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:02 PM   #6
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

I was down on the Tyne last week at North Shields and the river was only about a foot from bursting its banks. Quite an impressive sight really.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
I was down on the Tyne last week at North Shields and the river was only about a foot from bursting its banks. Quite an impressive sight really.
i love seeing the river swelling tbh, looks great. i always check out the tide when im crossing scotswood or redheugh bridge or going along the river by newcastle business park or dunston. for some reason its always a bit disappointing when its low tide and you can see mudflats.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:31 PM   #8
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Yeah, I went for a walk along the Quayside on Sunday and the river was as high as I've ever seen it. Couldn't have been much less than a foot off the level of the paths.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:37 PM   #9
Deebex

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
that happened a few years ago, the bit of the quayside next to the swing bridge was flooded, but only by a few inches
That regularly happens during the high spring and autumn tides. You'll usually see an Environment Agency type person taking notes/photos in that area when the really high tides occur.

Anecdotally, I was told that the Tyne and Wear Urban Development Corporation put the flood defences in along the Quayside. But they were lowered at the Swing Bridge abutments to allow access for a mini-bus service along the Quayside - which subsequently never occurred.

I'm a bit dubious about that, as the headroom under the swing bridge 'tunnel' is low even for me on my mountain bike, never mind a minibus.
Deebex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #10
johnnypd

rather windy out here in Blaydon
Old November 27th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #11
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1563

Quote:
rather windy out here in Blaydon

Here in Newcastle too, keeping me awake, so I came on here to see what is happening - not much!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Here in Newcastle too, keeping me awake, so I came on here to see what is happening - not much!
If you ever want to see what the wind is like down at North Shields, the Port of Tyne have weather gauges at three of its locations, North Shields Western Quay (VTS), Whitehill Point (just to the West of the Royal Quays) and Riverside Quay (South Shields - Tyne Dock). Just aim your browser @ http://www.portoftyne.co.uk/business...-feeds/latest/

Doesn't give historical data but gives real time and averages but gusts of up to 44.1 mph at the moment.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #13
johnnypd

i saw the neighbour's bin fly past our window a couple of hours ago. crazy winds.
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #14
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
i saw the neighbour's bin fly past our window a couple of hours ago. crazy winds.
A good way to find out the current wind speeds. albeit at the Shields end of the Tyne Gorge - check out the Port of Tyne Authority weather feeds @ http://www.portoftyne.co.uk/business...-feeds/latest/

Currently gusting to 48.7knots - that's 56mph.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #15
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Yes, crazy winds. The port of tyne site shows speeds not too bad but they feel a lot stronger. Some of the strongest winds I've ever felt just walking around.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #16
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Just came across this little reminder of summer, on the "NE1 Twitter Site", The Quayside Beach . . .

Old January 25th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Just came across this little reminder of summer, on the "NE1 Twitter Site", The Quayside Beach . . .
Ahem, what summer

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #18
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Summer was nice. I think people have unrealistic expectations in the UK when it comes to weather. For me the British summer is defined by mild temperatures, sometimes overcast, with occassional rain. Average temp around 19-21 degrees C. It comes with the territory of living at 55 degrees North.

I'm often surprised by my fellow countrymen, many of whom seem permanently surprised (not necessarily you Steve by the way... speaking broadly) that we are not basking in blazing sunshine and 25 degree heat for 3 months of the year, despite the fact that we always have, and always will (until we enter a new geological era) have mild summers with the odd hot day. Same as we always have mild winters, with the odd bad week or two.

I like the British climate, it suits my delicate skin
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #19
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
Summer was nice. I think people have unrealistic expectations in the UK when it comes to weather. For me the British summer is defined by mild temperatures, sometimes overcast, with occassional rain. Average temp around 19-21 degrees C. It comes with the territory of living at 55 degrees North.

I'm often surprised by my fellow countrymen, many of whom seem permanently surprised (not necessarily you Steve by the way... speaking broadly) that we are not basking in blazing sunshine and 25 degree heat for 3 months of the year, despite the fact that we always have, and always will (until we enter a new geological era) have mild summers with the odd hot day. Same as we always have mild winters, with the odd bad week or two.

I like the British climate, it suits my delicate skin
Well I can remember real summers when I was a child................

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #20
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Well I can remember real summers when I was a child................

Thats how I remember them too, but I wonder if I really "remember" correctly . . .

The best summers in recent times ('fairly' recent times, I suppose people would say now!) are 1975 (not often talked about) but the heat 'switched on' on the 2nd day of June and seemed to stay like that until the end of August.

Then ver similar the following year (1976 . . . OFTEN talked about!) but since then, not too many like that!

Bit 'off topic' for the NE1 thread, but I have always been interested in Climatology/Meteorology, etc.

Tags
climate, climate change, flooding, floods, global warming, natural disaster, natural disasters, newcastle, north east england, seasons, storms, weather