search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #21
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 3830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Thats how I remember them too, but I wonder if I really "remember" correctly . . .

The best summers in recent times ('fairly' recent times, I suppose people would say now!) are 1975 (not often talked about) but the heat 'switched on' on the 2nd day of June and seemed to stay like that until the end of August.

Then very similar the following year (1976 . . . OFTEN talked about!) but since then, not too many like that!

Bit 'off topic' for the NE1 thread, but I have always been interested in Climatology/Meteorology, etc.
No NH, I have exactly the same memories of the school holidays as you - we just live in different times these days

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1553

This is our front garden, right now. I was out there mowing it yesterday, now I would need diving gear!!!

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #23
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
This is our front garden, right now. I was out there mowing it yesterday, now I would need diving gear!!!
Get your rowing boat out NH - quite a water feature that

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #24
Steve Ellwood

Just heard that the Victoria Tunnel is well and truly flooded and hopefully not too much damage to the electrics, although I suspect there will be. Pandon Sewer mustn't be able to cope with the road/street water and the overflow goes through the Tunnel.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #25
Steve Ellwood

Hows this for dramatic - Lightening strike on the Tyne Bridge:

Credit - Filmed from Paul Somervilles Apartment by Marc Burton

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #26
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

Where is that filmed from? 55 degrees north? Certainly some interesting weather this afternoon!

This is quite funny too: https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50989027098886

Last edited by NewcastleStu; June 28th, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #27
Steve Ellwood

Well just to compete with NH's lake in his front garden we now have one that completely covers our back garden to at least a depth of a foot and also all neighbouring property in the same state. Water also lapping towards the front of the house with the front street flooded and impassable to vehicles.

Here are some shots:

All photographs hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Flooding...%20June%202012

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #28
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 162

Interesting article on the BBC online site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096 about how much of the UK is built up - 2.2% amazingly enough!

It says that the NE has the most paved over front gardens 47% (over three quarters of the front paved) in the country.

I wonder if that is partly why there has been so much flooding here?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #29
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Interesting article on the BBC online site http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096 about how much of the UK is built up - 2.2% amazingly enough!

It says that the NE has the most paved over front gardens 47% (over three quarters of the front paved) in the country.

I wonder if that is partly why there has been so much flooding here?
No, simple case of the existing storm drain not being able to cope with the amount of rain that came down in such a short space of time. There was a figure of a months worth of rain coming down in Tynemouth during a 15 minute period.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #30
anonymous1

Likes (Received): 23

It will no doubt have contributed. If you've just got a paved drive and not a garden, there is no/minimal space for water to seep into the soil. Instead you're relying purely on the drains and sewers.

But of course, the rain was horrific. Yet I was working in temperatures beyond 25C. It was so bad.
anonymous1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #31
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
There was a figure of a months worth of rain coming down in Tynemouth during a 15 minute period.
I'm stifling tendency to use 'industrial language' and will just say 'Good Heavens!'. Though I'm not surprised - I was in Asda in Gosforth just before it began and have rarely seen the skies so dark during the day. Got home just as the first wave was starting - incredible.
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #32
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

My shop flooded, what a mess.

I wouldn't expect the shopping mall in Whitley Bay to open tomorrow, at least not at first thing.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #33
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 640

A couple of youtube clips I've found.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 29th, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Insert YouTube Image
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 2355

The Swan at Heworth car park etc - after the 28/06/12 floooding

These pictures (apart from first one) by myself 29/06/12 approx 0830 showing the cars left parked in the Swan Pub car park (hosted on Photobucket)

Were covered by 5 feet of water as shown in first picture from "The Swan in Heworth #toonfloods @skytyneandwear t.co
news.sky.com"

My pictures

By all accounts this has made local and national radio and tv 29/06/12 AM - news outlet vans, cameras etc out in force as can be seen

A good set of 28 pictures of the event elsewhere in region can be viewed on http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/imagegallery/24013

These other 2 by myself showing damage to road surface to Carlisle St Felling being attended to by Gateshead Council workforce approx 0815 on 29/06/12 - think will be lots similar areas across the region

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #35
Ken O'Heed

After effects of 28/06/12 Thunderstorm

Below is scanned copy of article from Saturday 30/06/12 Evening Chronicle - one of numerous stories on Thurday's weather event, over 7 pages

Nice typo error in line 5 " Walkergate, GERMANY"

Time to get Oz, Neville, Oz and others in to help as their spell in Dusseldorf (Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Series 1) has just ended (Freeview Channel 12 )

KEN
Old June 30th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #36
Ken O'Heed

The 28/06/12 Thunderstorm and the after effects

Copy of Daily Mail photograph ( page 20 of paper edition Saturday 30/06/12 and also in Mail on Line http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html for that day ) showing Northumbria Police vehicle ploughing through floodwater in Gateshead area on 28/06/12

These photographs taken by myself 30/06/12 AM in what was the National Garden Festival 90 site area close to Lobley Hill Rd where the railway line is, showing River Team (normally a trickle) still flowing quite strongly at that time and damage caused to bituminous paving in adjacent area

Amazing the power of water.

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #37
Squipper

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Copy of Daily Mail photograph ( page 20 of paper edition Saturday 30/06/12 and also in Mail on Line http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html for that day ) showing Northumbria Police vehicle ploughing through floodwater in Gateshead area on 28/06/12

These photographs taken by myself 30/06/12 AM in what was the National Garden Festival 90 site area close to Lobley Hill Rd where the railway line is, showing River Team (normally a trickle) still flowing quite strongly at that time and damage caused to bituminous paving in adjacent area

Amazing the power of water.

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN
Even though I've been a Lobley Hiller since 1978 I've been away with the Air Force from 1987 till earlier this year and only been an intermittent visitor at best; I've always considered the old Norwood coke works site as a bit on the haphazard side. Great job on the old slag heaps at Watergate but I'm not too convinced of the quality of the Norwood site though.

Steve
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #38
Ken O'Heed

More damage from the 28/06/12 Thunderstorm

Cannot be 100% certain that water caused the damage but heard Nexus spokesman make comment on radio about collapse "near to Heworth", metro trains are passing site very slowly and assume Nexus would not demolish a perfectly good stone wall so everything points to flood damage

Location stone wall behind properties just to east of former Felling Police Station on Sunderland Rd, Felling - one of my vantage points for Carlisle St new housing scheme so I know wall was in "good condition"

These pictures taken by myself 30/06/12 approx 1900 (hosted on Photobucket)

Also damage to corner section of back yard wall so looks as if water has poured down from the higher areas of Felling, across the park ( next photo), across Sunderland Rd and then down rear lane at east end of terrace

But I could be wrong

KEN
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #39
Steve Ellwood

Is this storm a repeat of the 'once in a lifetime' Big Thursday Storm - certainly starting to flood down her on the coast, thunder, lightening, hail and monsoonal rain

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #40
battlefieldjohn
Idle waster.

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Is this storm a repeat of the 'once in a lifetime' Big Thursday Storm - certainly starting to flood down her on the coast, thunder, lightening, hail and monsoonal rain
Just drove down from the borders, we can either go A68/A696 route over the top or A697 round the side, glad we chose the latter, apparently the river has flooded at Jedburgh.

It was pretty bad in places, water shooting up from the drains in Blackadder but not as bad as the Newcastle storm of a few weeks ago.
battlefieldjohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, climate change, flooding, floods, global warming, natural disaster, natural disasters, newcastle, north east england, seasons, storms, weather