daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #61
Squipper

Likes (Received): 141

Cold, wet and windy at Lobley Hill, no white stuff yet though.

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #62
AlexRowan

Likes (Received): 28

At the Trinity Square the entrances to tesco car park roof damaged due to strong wind, sorry no photo.
AlexRowan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #63
Squipper

Likes (Received): 141

As of 10.58am, 05/12/13, Redheugh bridge closed due to overturned lorry.

A1 Dunston interchange, slip road closed due to overturned lorry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/tyne/roads/unplanned

According to the BBC North East, the bridge will be closed all day:

Newcastle bridge closed after lorry overturns on to car
Lorry overturned on Redheugh Bridge The accident caused huge traffic disruption during rush hour

Quote:
It was travelling northbound on the Redheugh Bridge during rush hour and ended up on the southbound carriageway, against the railings.

Northumbria Police say no-one is believed to have been seriously injured in the accident, which happened at about 09:20 GMT.

The force said the bridge would remain closed for the rest of the day.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25231342

Squipper
Royal Air Force
Survival Equipment Fitter

Last edited by Squipper; December 5th, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Squipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #64
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 913

Floods

Most quayside pubs seem to be OK. Flynns will be cleaner than before it was flooded. The former Risis is looking decidedly wet. Unfortunately Bar 38 remains dry.

However Eye on the Tyne looks like the bridge of the Lusitania. It's been badly flooded before and knowing a bit about the economics of the place I'd say it's a 50-50 reopening. It was in effect given until the new year to show some significant improvements [or else].

Update
Wetherspoons [Quayside Bar], Slug and Great Coffee also flooded. Can't help but think that that the Pitcher might have got soaking too....
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #65
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

High Winds then High Tides

I was woken at about 5am this morning by the crashing noise of objects being blown about in the extraordinary high winds. A few minutes later while looking out the window into the darkness, I saw a TV aerial flying past - horizontally.

Rail services north of Newcastle were cancelled, and later trains were terminating a Doncaster.

This afternoon's Tidal surge was widely predicted, but at 2 - 3 hours before high tide, it looked unlikely that there would be any flooding, though the Law Courts did close early, just in case.

Then the surge came. Within 20 minutes the water rose to flood the Quayside as far as Live Theatre and up the Ouseburn flowing over the Riverside walkway. It began to receed by almost a meter and then the real high-tide peaked, causing even more damage. It was about 60mms below the plaza of this forum's much loved Toffee Factory.

Some pictures from Sky Tyne and Wear here : http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/arti...est-waters-for
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #66
alf stone

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Floods

Can't help but think that that the Pitcher might have got soaking too....
They tweeted this picture earlier:

tyneflood by alfred stone, on FlickrIMG][/URL]

With this message:

P&P Newcastle @pandpnewcastle
Follow
To our followers road in front of Law Courts is closed for a while do to flooding. We are open though! Hint hint!

Last edited by alf stone; November 19th, 2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: replacing photographs
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #67
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 1625

I'm supposed to be at the Gusto Restaurant (just behind the Pitcher) tomorrow lunchtime, that may well have been flooded too?

It's a 'little' bit up the bank (I think) but I'm a bit concerned, as its a reunion do and people are coming from all over!

I'm sure the organiser will be keeping an eye on it . . . I hope!!
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #68
NewcastleStu

Likes (Received): 69

No, I think it'll be fine NH. The flooding had gone when I was walking home this evening (about 5:30) and it hadn't affected the area where P&P, Gusto, etc are.
NewcastleStu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #69
alf stone

Likes (Received): 351

The Environment Agency are warning of further high tides and surges tomorrow morning and possibly afternoon so it might be worth checking.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...eisure/floods/
alf stone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #70
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4009

Newcastle Floods 1913

With yesterday's floods being given coverage in the media it is worth reflecting on floods of 1913.

This is an image from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection on Flickr that I hadn't seen before. Certainly within my living memory I've not see Northumberland Street flooded.

068305:Floods in Northumberland Street, Newcastle upon Tyne,1913
Type : Photograph Medium : In Newcastle/Climate/floods. Description : A postcard showing Northumberland Street during the floods of 1913. The pavements and the street are covered in water. In the foreground a woman is brushing water out of her shop and two boys are standing in the road posing for the camera. In the background several horse-drawn vehicles are travelling up the road.

image hosted on flickr

068304: Floods, Jesmond Road, Sept 1913
Type : Photograph
Medium : Print-black-and-white
Description : A postcard showing the effects on severe flooding on Jesmond Road in 1913. People are standing on the pavements and in shop doorways watching the water flood down Jesmond Road.

image hosted on flickr

068306:Flooded Jesmond Unknown 1913
Type : Photograph Medium : Print-black-and-white Description : A postcard showing Jesmond during the floods of 1913. Water is rushing down the road. Groups of people are standing on either side of the road watching the water.

image hosted on flickr

068303:Flooded Great North Road Unknown 1913
Type : Photograph
Medium : Print-black-and-white
Description : A 1913 photograph of the Great North Road under water during the floods. In the foreground two boys are walking barefoot through the water. One is carrying a basket and his shoes the other is carrying a walking stick. A lampost is next to the boys. In the background there are trees and part of a large building.

image hosted on flickr

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #71
minimoog

Likes (Received): 161

That must have been some downpour.
minimoog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #72
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 177

Quayside Flooding

Following yesterdays flooding on the Quayside isn't it time there is some dredging of the Quayside Tyne area?

It is noticable how the mud and silt has built up over the years.
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #73
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Swall View Post
Following yesterdays flooding on the Quayside isn't it time there is some dredging of the Quayside Tyne area?

It is noticable how the mud and silt has built up over the years.
As there is no shipping of any size in that part of the river, the Port of Tyne aren't going to pay for dredging.

In the unusual circumstances of yesterday, a spring tide and a sea surge, it wouldn't have made a difference. All a matter of elevation and even often dredged area's of the river such as North Shields Fishquay and South Shields Customs House broke their banks last night.

The Guildhall area is not unknown for flooding, perhaps more to do with the obstructions in the river which are the Swing Bridge and High Level Bridge Piers.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #74
Adrian_Swall

Likes (Received): 177

I would have thought some of businesses down there won't be happy with being flooded on a regular basis.

They may have problems with their insurers?
Adrian_Swall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #75
DXNewcastle
cogito ergo sum

Likes (Received): 95

The Port of Tyne Authority are the body responsible for dredging, but are suffering from greatly reduced funding. Most of their revenue is related directly to shipping movements and dock facilities.

On Wed night / Thurs morning they issued a warning to boat users of the high probability of a 1 mtr tidal surge around the time of the afternoon high spring tide of 5.7mtrs.

I received this note from one of them the next day: "this was the Highest Tide ever recorded (since 1860).

We recorded 6.60m (and 1.31m above prediction)at Shields, which would give about 6.80m at Newcastle, and is a staggering 43 centimetres more than the next highest.

“Unprecedented” hardly covers it, biblical is I think appropriate
."
DXNewcastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #76
ferret88

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
With yesterday's floods being given coverage in the media it is worth reflecting on floods of 1913.

This is an image from the Newcastle City Libraries Archive Collection on Flickr that I hadn't seen before. Certainly within my living memory I've not see Northumberland Street flooded.

068305:Floods in Northumberland Street, Newcastle upon Tyne,1913
Type : Photograph Medium : In Newcastle/Climate/floods. Description : A postcard showing Northumberland Street during the floods of 1913. The pavements and the street are covered in water. In the foreground a woman is brushing water out of her shop and two boys are standing in the road posing for the camera. In the background several horse-drawn vehicles are travelling up the road.

image hosted on flickr
Whereabouts on Northumberland St is that? I can't even begin to place it.

F
ferret88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #77
MartinLeRoy
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 39

Are the buildings in the background on Percy St/Barras Bridge?

One on the left is the building with Blackwells and the one on the right is the current location of King's Gate?
Scottish League Cup Winners 2012
MartinLeRoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #78
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLeRoy View Post
Are the buildings in the background on Percy St/Barras Bridge?

One on the left is the building with Blackwells and the one on the right is the current location of King's Gate?

Correct on all counts!
Old December 11th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #79
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Your Pictures: Readers capture flooding on the Quayside
The Chronicle, 6th December 2013

Chronicle readers sent in their pictures of flooding on the Quayside, as the North East felt the full force of yesterday's Tidal Surge. The Quayside was underwater as Britain and North East felt the full force of the 'Tidal Surge' on 5th December 2013.

We asked for readers to send in their pictures of the flooding and we have a sample of what we received. Beautiful and scary in equal measure, here is a look at some of the pictures readers sent in of the flooded Quayside . . .

Even the CUSTOM HOUSE at 39 Quayside (now called 'Trinity Chambers') did not escape the flood water . . .

Source: Chronicle Live - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...ooding-6379562
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:24 PM   #80
Aylett 67

Likes (Received): 561

How has the weather been in the North East for the last few days? In Whitehaven we have had two days of torrential rain( the rain has finally stopped now), gale force winds, hail, lightning and thunder. This December must be the wettest and stormiest I can ever remember.
Aylett 67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, climate change, flooding, floods, global warming, historic newcastle, natural disaster, natural disasters, newcastle, north east england, seasons, storms, weather