daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #41
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

We're down to 1 carriage trains on a sunday now, they were pretty packed at the weekend, I wouldnt mind if it meant they kept frequencies at saturday levels but they havent so I waited 18 minutes for a rammed train from Jesmond to Wansbeck Road.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #42
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1210

some ideas for Metro Extensions i did a while ago using google earth to find routes. down to Seaham would use existing, under-utilised line. Cut-and-cover along the West Road, new bridge across to Blayon, then using the existing NR line. not sure how the red line would join once we reach the city centre/gateshead though. Also would be an idea for a line going down Durham Road to Team Valley, reopening leamside line, lines up to cramlington, as well as a tram system to link cut-off Walker "peninsula" to the system.
johnnypd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #43
hollow man

Likes (Received): 23

Very good Johnny, I would join your extension in Newcastle to the airport taking in the whole of the west end plus I would add an extension between Northumberland Park and Wallsend which would eliminate the need to go into town or around the coast for journeys between the North of North Tyneside and the South of North Tyneside and the East End of Newcastle.
hollow man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM   #44
johnnypd

yes, another idea is a new line going from central station, following the old newcastle-carlisle line (old elevated line currently used as a car-park! - could build under it tho) to Newcastle Arena then curving up to College/Rye Hill, then a deep underground line through Elswick and up to General Hospital for an interchange. From GH it could go up Wingrove Road and through the upper west end to the airport. Could also have a spur continuing down the newcastle-carlisle line to Newcastle Business Park and Scotswood.

Something like this:

Last edited by johnnypd; April 2nd, 2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:42 PM   #45
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

How lovely such ideas would be if there was any prospect of something like that ever being built. Sadly, you know what our government is like...
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:03 PM   #46
johnnypd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
How lovely such ideas would be if there was any prospect of something like that ever being built. Sadly, you know what our government is like...
yes there's zero chance of any of these extensions being built. Wish we'd start spending on ambitious rail projects like the Spanish.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #47
Andrew

Well, we may not be getting any extensions to the metro but at least we should be getting this (click on the pics for full size):

Haymarket Metro:

North Shields Metro:

More pics and info here: http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/conn...-invigoration/

If Brown doesn't give this the go-ahead, I'd like to personally kick that big fat arse of his (unfortunately, I'm not likely to ever get get close enough to the guy to get the chance, and I'd have to think about the consequences if I did... but still)!

Last edited by Andrew; April 5th, 2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #48
johnnypd

fingers crossed. those plans look good but really they should be the bare minimum we're looking at to improve the system.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #49
Andrew

I agree, but I think they are the best we can possibly expect from the current government, and as a result, if they are approved I'll be happy (but only until another government gets voted in). If a new government gets voted in promising to spend more money on transport, then I'll expect to see more. I'll expect to see extensions to the system not just refurbishment of the existing one.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #50
johnnypd

totally agree Andrew. I just pray that these modest plans get approval, otherwise we really are in deep shit!
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #51
Scottnufc
Geordie Stuck in GZ

Likes (Received): 0

damn old boring council people being so lazy as to even get their act together and get a move on with development and modernization
Scottnufc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #52
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 630

There should be a line going Killingworth-Dudley-Cramlington-Bedlington-Blyth ( possibly even as far as Ashington but then Blyth would realistically be a spur ). A fairly decent population of commuters in that area of South East Northumberland. It appales me Blyth has no railway staion. Dont see any reason at all why the airport line shouldn't be extended into Ponteland ( well maybe apart from the snobby locals! ) makes sense. An extension from South Hylton into Washington then onto Birtley where it could join the existing line into Newcastle would make sense too. With a fleet of road going trams incorporated into the system the skies the limit really.
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #53
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottnufc View Post
damn old boring council people being so lazy as to even get their act together and get a move on with development and modernization
The Metro is not the council's responsibility. It's the responsibility of Nexus.
Old April 7th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #54
stourbridgebaggie

hell all the council do is decide on city centre development plans and grant permission for conservatories
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #55
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 62

Used the metro yesterday, it was, as always, very cheap, quick and convenient. Can't help but think they must lose huge amounts of cash in lost revenue through fare dodgers, I have never seen a ticket inspector.
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #56
stourbridgebaggie

i havent seen one since last year prestonian yet they have the infrastructure to have ticket machines like they do on the london tube so that you have to put your ticket through to get on and off baffles me!
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #57
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

I get checked all the time, about once out of every 3 journeys between Gosforth and Town Id say.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #58
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 62

1 in 3 is still pretty low. They could probably earn millions extra with better ticketing. You'd only really need barriers at the city centre stations to recoup a large amount of cash.
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #59
johnnypd

Almost 38 million passenger journeys were made on the Tyne and Wear Metro last year, the highest number since 1994 according to figures from operator Nexus.

The continuing rise in passenger numbers has been welcomed as Nexus makes the case for the £600m Metro Re-Invigoration programme to renew and modernise the 27-year-old railway system.

Between April 2006 and March 2007 37.9 million passengers travelled by Metro. This is the highest figure since 1993/1994.

The figure represents a rise of 5.9% on the previous year, and means more than 130,000 people are using Metro every weekday and 170,000 at weekends.

Between them Metro passengers travelled more than 295 million kilometres last year – equivalent to the distance from Earth to the Sun and back again.

Nexus attributes this success to excellent reliability and punctuality, the new timetable offering a 3-minute frequency through central Newcastle, and the good value of tickets – with a £399 annual Metrosaver offering unlimited travel for less than £8 a week.

Bernard Garner, Director General of Nexus, said: “Without Metro Tyne and Wear would be stuck in the slow lane. More than 130,000 passengers rely on Metro every day, which shows just how important it is to local people and the economy.

“We have seen a sustained period of growth for more than a year now, showing that passengers recognise the good value, convenience and safety which Metro offers.”

“Without Metro 10,000 fewer people every day would travel into Newcastle City Centre because of increased congestion, and millions more journeys would be forced onto our over-crowded roads every year – that’s why Metro Re-Invigoration is crucial.”

Metro Director Mick Carbro added: “Metro offers a train every three minutes through central Newcastle, high frequencies elsewhere, excellent reliability and a good price.

“Our staff are doing a first-class job to give customers a service they can use with confidence, whether it’s running trains, maintaining the network or helping passengers at stations.

“This is proving a winning combination. When people come back to Metro they find it a very good way to get around and they use it again and again.”

The Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority and Nexus in January this year submitted the Metro Re-Invigoration detailed business case to the Department for Transport (DfT). Nexus is now on talks with DfT over the details of the proposal.

Without Re-Invigoration Metro will slowly begin to decline and fail in the decade ahead, increasing congestion on the region’s roads and starving city centres of visitors.

The Re-Invigoration proposal sets out a 20-year spending plan to completely renew and modernise Metro, from track, signals and communications through to stations and trains.

Metro carries around 133,000 people every weekday on 430 train services serving 59 stations. Our 60th station will open at Simonside, South Tyneside, in autumn 2007.

Metro punctuality is 91.08% (trains arriving within 3 minutes of timetable at every station). Reliability is 99.44 (percentage of timetabled trains that operate).

http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/conn...t+for+13+years.
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #60
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 630

They used to have a similar system to the London underground where you popped your ticket in and the gate opened. As I recall from living there as a child the gates dissapeared around 1989 or 1990. I have no idea why they did this. Ticket collectors are virtually non-existant outside the city centre ( and there they are rare in my experience of 15 years of using the system ), wasn't unusual to go a few years without getting your ticket checked. Few of my friends ever bought a ticket. I have no doubt the system haemorrhaged potential revenue during the period. Dont know the situation in the three years since I moved.
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
light rail, light railways, london tube, london underground, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, paris metro, rail, railways, the tube, trains, transport, tube, tyne & wear metro, underground