search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #81
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

LOL. I thought there was a plan to extend it all the way out to Ashington and Blyth?

Why would the Government hate the metro? It's public transport, it deserves money. Is it because it's privately operated?

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #82
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
LOL. I thought there was a plan to extend it all the way out to Ashington and Blyth?

Why would the Government hate the metro? It's public transport, it deserves money. Is it because it's privately operated?
There is a plan for rail services to Ashington and Blyth but the line won't come under the Metro designation. however in anticipation of that line a new station was built at Northumberland Park a year and a half ago. The new line would connect with the metro at that station.

Other proposed plans are for the reintroduction of the Leamside Line which would go from Sunderland, through Washington and connect again at Pelaw iirc. This might be part of the metro but is more likely to be reopened as a separate entity. There was a big plan called the "Orpheus Project" a few years back, that envisaged a couple of new rail lines and extensive street running trams, but the govt denied it funding.

What i meant to say was that the govt hates metro schemes in general, because they are tight fisted, shy away from risks and have strict cost:benefit ratios. support for those types of schemes must be at all time low, the govt seems to prefer "guided bus" routes and other nonsense.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #83
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Guided buses???!!!! I saw some of those in Leeds and though I thought long and hard about it I could not see any benefit to having guided buses.

They still have a driver, they still have to go on-road much of the time, they still get held up at traffic lights. Seems like building the infrastructure is the biggest waste of money to me as bus lanes provide the same thing and involve painting a line down the road.

As for the metro issue, i suppose the metro is a total loss maker so not an appealing project for expansion. Although the metro goes on an on about rising passenger numbers, if they put barriers on the stations these would decline quickly with people switching to the cheaper bus routes rather than the no longer 'free' metro.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #84
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlad View Post
Guided buses???!!!! I saw some of those in Leeds and though I thought long and hard about it I could not see any benefit to having guided buses.

They still have a driver, they still have to go on-road much of the time, they still get held up at traffic lights. Seems like building the infrastructure is the biggest waste of money to me as bus lanes provide the same thing and involve painting a line down the road.

As for the metro issue, i suppose the metro is a total loss maker so not an appealing project for expansion. Although the metro goes on an on about rising passenger numbers, if they put barriers on the stations these would decline quickly with people switching to the cheaper bus routes rather than the no longer 'free' metro.
I don't see much point in guided busses either -it just seems like they're putting up wires for nothing. It might have some psychological effect, but even then I still don't see how they're any better than normal busses.

When I was in Newcastle last (about 2 years ago) about one in every 5 trips I took on the metro had some sort of ticket verification involved, but even then it would just be a group of people standing beside the gates at Monument or Haymarket station -which seems stupid as they could have just used the gates and a better ticketing system. Surely the labour costs involved in ticket checking would be more than building a decent ticketing system.

Here in Perth, the ticket barriers and smart card system came in about 8 months ago, since then patronage numbers haven't dropped and the system is making a lot more money -so I can't imagine Newcastle would be much different.

I think if the Metro wants to be more profitable, then they really need to look at expansion. More connections, better frequencies, making it cheaper as well (the metro's quite expensive!) etc. -that's the way of getting people to ride.
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #85
toonlad
Urban Environmentalist

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Here in Perth, the ticket barriers and smart card system came in about 8 months ago, since then patronage numbers haven't dropped and the system is making a lot more money -so I can't imagine Newcastle would be much different.
Thats quite reassuring and I would hope the system arrives in Newcastle soon. We really do need an oyster card type system anyway. Its ridiculous that this day in age you still have to root around for change to buy a metro ticket.

If we dont get the £600 million the government might suggest a reduced funding package or some kind of PPP. Either way it will be bad news for metro.
toonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #86
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Oyster card systems are spreading throughout the world relentlessly -it's not a matter of 'if' but 'when' for Newcastle. Tyne and Wear would be a great area for public transport if some actual thought and planning was put into it -extending the metro, creating TOD's etc. -it would all fit together brilliantly if only people had some foresight.

Is Nexus a shitty operator?

I'm glad that Perth's transport system is still Government owned. It seems that we have the best system in Australia, and the parliament is determined to build more lines. I only wish Newcastle (my 2nd home) would follow suit. I love Tyneside, I know it can have (and deserves) a lot better.

A new line is opening soon, there's a video on it here:
http://www.newmetrorail.wa.gov.au/NM...eo_NMR_web.wmv
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #87
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1621

Metro, in Leeds/West Yorkshire are also saying "when" to Oyster Cards and have them in their transport plan.
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #88
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

i wish our metro was like yours alot

tyne and wear metro is mixed alot and thats a good thing

i live in Miami and we have the Metrorail but its sort of like tyne and wear metro but it doesn't go underground i wished though

want to see examples of the Miami Metrorail to see?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #89
Salif

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
want to see examples of the Miami Metrorail to see?
yes please
Salif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #90
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Can people tell me if they can see this pic? If so I'll post more of the Metro.

Not sure if Picasa will let me hotlink photos.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #91
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 142

Hi Andrew, I can see the picture.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #92
Andrew

Awesome! The above picture is of the inside of Byker Metro Station.
Here are some more of Byker:

Central Station:

I've got loads more but I'm not sure it's appropriate to fill this thread up with pics since it's more for news and discussion. I might start a new picture thread in the international section.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #93
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 1193

fill this thread up with pics andrew! the more the merrier.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #94
Andrew

Very well, here are some more shots of stations (in no particular order).
More of Central Station:

Four Lane Ends new interchange:

Obey...
[img]http://lh4.google.co.uk/andydshaw/RlMJ-uKauOI/AAAAAAAAACM/h****yguBDE/Four%20Lane%20Ends%207.jpg?imgmax=576[/img]
... or else!

Gateshead

More in a bit.
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #95
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 142

Andrew, these pictures are brilliant thank you so much for posting them. I love the Newcastle Metro, it really rocks. My favourate bit is the ferry link, that is so unique and some of the stations on the coastal stretch. There is so much station diversity on the Metro, it rocks.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #96
Andrew

If you think about it, as much as we complain about problems with it, lack of maintenance and lack of government commitment to future improvements, expansion etc, Newcastle's Metro really is quite special when you take it in the UK context. It's quite impressive that it ever got built. I just hope now that the commitment to funding that the government has given them will be enough. What I'd really like to see though is a proper expansion in the west of the city fully integrated into the existing system (for example more tunnels dug from the end of the existing ones at St James' Park).
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #97
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 0

I don't think there will be any more tunnels dug from St James on wards I think the reason they stopped there was to do with the amount of work that would be involved.

BUT! I have heard a rumer that the new tram trains preposed may be about to replace the old metro trains and may eventually run over ground in to the west of the city.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #98
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1621

I went on the Metro on thursday. I thought it did its job well but was kinda expensive. I suppose though I was paying for singles. Anyway, it also has a really annoying jerk when it accelerates out of every station... why :S Its also not the fastest train in the world! It must be quite a restriction to have Metro lines being shared with National Rail too, in many cases.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #99
tom85
The Real Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
I went on the Metro on thursday. I thought it did its job well but was kinda expensive. I suppose though I was paying for singles. Anyway, it also has a really annoying jerk when it accelerates out of every station... why :S Its also not the fastest train in the world! It must be quite a restriction to have Metro lines being shared with National Rail too, in many cases.
The metro doesn't share any of its lines with national rail its on a completly independant system. They are jerky because of their age i guess they are getting upgrade soon so I let them off they are nearly 30 years old. Also they are introducing a new consetioary fare soon and introducing an Oyster type card sytem within the next two years so that should see the cost come down. It is still pretty good value an anual student pass is just 250 quid.

Here is a fact for you its the only remaining publically owned railway in the country.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #100
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom85 View Post
The metro doesn't share any of its lines with national rail its on a completly independant system.
they do on the way to Sunderland. From where the South Shields branch turns off, to Sunderland.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
light rail, light railways, london tube, london underground, metro, metro systems, newcastle, newcastle transport, paris metro, rail, railways, the tube, trains, transport, tube, tyne & wear metro, underground